Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanging on to our corners may be expensive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging on to our corners may be expensive.

With 2 corners poised to enter restricted free agency, the current rise in salaries may cause problems.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7866961

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Bailey eyes others corner the market
    By Bill Williamson
    The Denver Post
    Article Last Updated: 01/03/2008 12:53:26 AM MST

The price of employing a top-flight cornerback has risen quickly in recent years.

San Francisco awarded Nate Clements an $80 million deal over eight years during the past free-agency period. Seattle's Marcus Trufant and Oakland's Nnamdi Asomugha could soon be getting similar deals.

Bailey, who has three years remaining on a seven-year, $63 million deal, is keeping an eye on the ever-growing cornerback market.

"I'm interested in it," he said with a laugh. "That's good for all of us that the numbers are getting higher."

Bailey, widely considered one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL, said he won't let other deals affect how he feels about his contract. He is not sure if he and his agent are going to pursue a new deal.

"We'll talk about it," Bailey said. "I think I've played well here, and sometimes these things get extended near the end of the deal, so we'll see what happens. But I think I'm playing at a high level, and that is the most important thing when it comes to contract talks."

Because the Broncos don't have a ton of salary-cap room, it could be a stretch for Denver to address Bailey's contract this offseason, but as cornerback deals continue to soar, Bailey's situation is sure to be addressed at some point.

Bell hopes for a chance next year.

Mike Bell's sophomore season has been difficult.

The undrafted player from the University of Arizona moved from tailback to fullback late in the preseason and played in only five games this season, gaining 3 yards on six carries. As a rookie, Bell rushed for 677 yards on 153 carries and scored eight touchdowns.

Bell said he is hoping for more of an opportunity next season. He admits he didn't like the move from tailback, but is willing to play any position the team wants.

"It was a tough season, but I will do what it takes," Bell said. "I just want a chance."

Bell could be a candidate to be dealt before the draft.

Bill Williamson: 303-954-1262 or [email protected]
    Last edited by Dean; 01-03-2008, 08:24 AM.

Re-sign Paymah, trade Foxworth for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, and draft a corner on day 2 for depth.

Comment

IMHO, between Bailey and Bly, we have far too much money tied up in the CB position. We've seen that it is a position that is solely dicatated on the play of the dline, so they are non impact players.

Even for as good as Bailey is, I wouldn't be opposed to doing something with both of them and actually building a great front 7.

Houston showed Denver that with a very good front 4 you can be a very good defense with a backup secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
        Re-sign Paymah, trade Foxworth for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, and draft a corner on day 2 for depth.
        Re-signing Paymah and/or Foxworth may be more expensive than they are worth. Extending Champ's contract (now or later) will definitely be expensive. It could well become cost prohibitive to even trade corners for other players.

The fact that we do have our starting corners under contract is a plus for the orgainization.

Comment

As good as Champ is and Bly they cannot be asked to cover as long as they had to this year...we lacked pressure up front as well as depth at the position both corners played injured and really truth to tell were exposed badly this year because of lack of pressure up front.

Since Bly was just signed to a new deal he is secured...Champ should also still be with us for another year. We need to draft a solid rookie to start developing now and ensure the "coming of age" of Foxworth, and Paymah

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
            We've seen that it is a position that is solely dicatated on the play of the dline, so they are non impact players.

I'm sorry, I just can't agree with you on this one. Cornerback is a skill position that is very hard to find. They are most definitely impact players- one season ago, Champ and his 10 INT's one us a handful of games by making key plays in the secondary when the pressure was on.

A cornerbacks best friend can be an effective pass rush but to say they are non impact is blasphemus. There's a reason CB's are payed big bucks.
            Last edited by 91bronco; 01-10-2008, 12:01 PM.

Comment

The past 3-4 Drafts Houston has taken an elite D-lineman in the first round, they've been building their game in the trenches, and have had a huge turnaround on Defense.

From what I recall, they don't have two stud corners, but they get by very well. If Bailey or Bly decide they want more money, we're going to have to give it to them because without a better D-line, we need those elite CBs to be able to play against a QB who has all the time in the world to throw. If we can get a dominant line and they want too much money, trade them for someone who can be serviceable.

Comment

After reading through Champs comments again I can't help but respect the guy even more. What a class act.

Comment

Cornerbacks of this level are defintely useful, no doubt. But In 02-04 we had a statistically ranked top 5 defense every year, do you know what happened in 05 when we dropped in rankings? Our D-Line became awful. Trevor Pryce was gone, Reggie Hayward was gone.

I really dont' think it's a coincidence that we are 5-1 when Elvis Dumervil has a multiple sack game.

And I don't think it's a coincidence that we are 3-8 when Elvis has ZERO sacks.

Comment

so they are non impact players..
                    Bailey basically shuts down the opposing teams best wide out. I also would have to disagree this.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 91bronco View Post
                      I'm sorry, I just can't agree with you on this one. Cornerback is a skill position that is very hard to find. They are most definitely impact players- one season ago, Champ and his 10 TD's one us a handful of games by making key plays in the secondary when the pressure was on.

A cornerbacks best friend can be an effective pass rush but to say they are non impact is blasphemus. There's a reason CB's are payed big bucks.
                      Blasphemus?

You only validated my argument when you said his best friend was an effective pass rush. We have seen all season, and in season's past, how ineffective a CB can be if he has no pass rush. Thus, it's a position that is solely impacted on the play of other positions.

Houston game is a perfect example. Denver had the Pro Bowl secondary with the below average dline, and Houston had the great dline and the backup secondary.

Which defense won out? A CB can't cover his man forever, yet at the same time Denver couldn't even exploit Houston's backup secondary because the pressure was so great.

"Non impact player" was a bad term I used, but a front 7, or better yet a front 4, is of much greater importance than even the best secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by tnickell View Post
                        Bailey basically shuts down the opposing teams best wide out. I also would have to disagree this.
                        Well, an impact player makes play after play after play. If Bailey is doing his job, you never even hear his name.

I need to find a better term that "non-impact". How about "non-important".

Comment

lose Foxy

that dude cannot tackle
                          sigpic

Comment

IMHO, between Bailey and Bly, we have far too much money tied up in the CB position. We've seen that it is a position that is solely dicatated on the play of the dline, so they are non impact players.

Even for as good as Bailey is, I wouldn't be opposed to doing something with both of them and actually building a great front 7.

Houston showed Denver that with a very good front 4 you can be a very good defense with a backup secondary.
                            Thanks for the laugh. Houston's front 4 aint that good, YET. Theyve been run all over most of the year and only Williams gets any pressure on QB and most of that 10 sacks came in a 6 game span at end of season. That same 'very good defense with a backup secondary' got lit up and torched by second team offense in Jacksonville. Williams, Okoye, Johnson, and Ryans were held in check the entire game by Jax 2nd team Oline.

I am a huge Texans fan (guess it comes with living in Houston ) and I believe
                            Houston is 1 OLB and S away from being all out nasty defense. Unfortunately they have 1 day 1 pick and also have holes on OLINE still.

BTW That should tell ya the sad state of Denver's Oline.....

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosTX77 View Post
                              Thanks for the laugh. Houston's front 4 aint that good, YET. Theyve been run all over most of the year and only Williams gets any pressure on QB and most of that 10 sacks came in a 6 game span at end of season. That same 'very good defense with a backup secondary' got lit up and torched by second team offense in Jacksonville. Williams, Okoye, Johnson, and Ryans were held in check the entire game by Jax 2nd team Oline.
                              What laugh? Apparently you didn't watch the Denver-Houston game.

Comment

Working...
                              X