No announcement yet.

Adam Schefter reports Javon Walker will be shopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked when we aquired Javon but if he wants to go I'm fine with it. He is physically in bad shape and I think upper management knows this. Plus Marshall is has the kind of talent that needs to be developed in the #1 slot. Also, with Marshall's salary as our #1 we could save some nice cap room if Javon really wants out.
    sigpic

Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.

Comment

Originally posted by Astrass View Post
      I liked when we aquired Javon but if he wants to go I'm fine with it. He is physically in bad shape and I think upper management knows this. Plus Marshall is has the kind of talent that needs to be developed in the #1 slot. Also, with Marshall's salary as our #1 we could save some nice cap room if Javon really wants out.
      I think javon is more mental then fisical. I said before the year started it would be a bad year for him. The whole D-Will thing messed him up and I dont think he will ever get over this in denver. I like him he is a great talant but I think it would be best for him and denver to part ways.

Marshal style WR are the type we need. How long has it been since we had a WR that would try that hard to get a few extra yards????
      Hillis will be the best full back in the league by the end of the year!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoKazuki View Post
        exactly this may be the bait we can use... and with a 3 way trade between us

a poor team 4-10 or lower and Dallas this could be valuable to us.

Since most posters on the board think Dallas will want to move up

a 3 way trade between us another team and Dallas will prove quite lucrative

espically if we Dump Javon in Atlanta with a few other members of the Bronco Scrubs we could get a few picks from both Dallas and Atlanta with Atlanta also getting some Dallas players.
        Dont count on trading with Atlanta. because Jim Mckay is not calling the shots on player movement. IT could get done but it will have to be done with out mckays help.
        The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
        While he sits by his hearth at home.
        Quickly finds when questioned by others .
        That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
          I sure hope you're right!

A 4th round pick would be about the most they could hope for.

Much more likely in my view is that nobody will offer anything at all for him, or at most a late round pick (6th or 7th). Teams will be wondering if his knee will hold up and frankly, it's questionable whether he can get through another season without needing further micro-fusion surgery.

The doctors may well tell him that he needs further surgery. He didn't make much impact when he was in this season and finished with 26 catches.

Everybody has to face the possibility that his career will be cut short by recurring injury. In that case, do other GMs want to make the same mistake the Broncos did, using a high draft pick to get Javon, only to find out he's damaged goods?

Shanahan rolled the dice and lost. He gave up a top pick of the second round for Javon, and got one useful season out of him before he hurt the same knee he had injured before.

My guess would be that teams will sit back and wait for the Broncos to cut Javon, and that they will then offer him an incentive laden deal, with a very small signing bonus, where he'll have to prove he's healthy before he's offered much money.

He won't like that, but like Ashlie Lelie before him will discover to his surprise that not everybody in the world has the same inflated opinion of him that he does.

He might think he's still one of the most talented receivers in the league, but nobody else does at this point. I seem to remember David Terrell saying in an interview that he was just as talented as Randy Moss and Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens and that he just had to prove it.

Then he was cut and is now permanently out of football. WRs tend have insanely inflated opinions of themselves and Javon Walker is no exception.

Unfortunately, he has all the cards. Denver has to either re-work his contract or trade him, and he's made it abundantly clear that he won't re-do his contract. This refusal forces a trade, but because he's injured the team can't get much if anything for him.

So, Javon gets to keep his money (signing bonus and option buy-out money) and the Broncos lose out.
          Again Cugel, you said the same thing about Lelie and Plummer!

I think you underrate the value of even a semi-capable athlete in this league...but 'one man's trash is another man's treasure'!

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
            Again Cugel, you said the same thing about Lelie and Plummer!

I think you underrate the value of even a semi-capable athlete in this league...but 'one man's trash is another man's treasure'!
            Plummer wasn't worth much in trade was he? People were talking about a 1st-3rd round pick, but the Bucs offered what? A 4th round pick for him?

He was a QB, and he was completely healthy.

Javon is a WR and has a knee which may force his retirement in the next couple of years -- or not. Nobody can tell right now whether the knee will hold up for a complete season.

If not and you give up a first day pick for Javon then the owner and fans would rightly question your sanity. The signs were there. Why were you so eager to roll the dice for an injured player?

Nobody even knows whether Javon will be the same player EVEN IF HE'S HEALTHY at this point.

Lelie got Denver a 3rd round pick. But, that was because it was the Falcons, who are not exactly the smartest franchise. And he was completely healthy.

That trade certainly didn't work out for the Falcons either. Lelie got 24 catches in 2006 and opted out of his contract for 2007. He wound up on the 49ers bench where he had 10 catches in 2007.

Next stop -- CFL. Lelie was a total bust.

Don't count on Javon Walker getting that kind of pick because he's not healthy. If he WERE completely healthy then he'd be worth about a late 2nd possibly early 3rd round pick.

Right now though, it's tough for any team to give up much for him with the injury concerns.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
              Plummer wasn't worth much in trade was he? People were talking about a 1st-3rd round pick, but the Bucs offered what? A 4th round pick for him?

He was a QB, and he was completely healthy.

Javon is a WR and has a knee which may force his retirement in the next couple of years -- or not. Nobody can tell right now whether the knee will hold up for a complete season.

If not and you give up a first day pick for Javon then the owner and fans would rightly question your sanity. The signs were there. Why were you so eager to roll the dice for an injured player?

Nobody even knows whether Javon will be the same player EVEN IF HE'S HEALTHY at this point.

Lelie got Denver a 3rd round pick. But, that was because it was the Falcons, who are not exactly the smartest franchise. And he was completely healthy.

That trade certainly didn't work out for the Falcons either. Lelie got 24 catches in 2006 and opted out of his contract for 2007. He wound up on the 49ers bench where he had 10 catches in 2007.

Next stop -- CFL. Lelie was a total bust.

Don't count on Javon Walker getting that kind of pick because he's not healthy. If he WERE completely healthy then he'd be worth about a late 2nd possibly early 3rd round pick.

Right now though, it's tough for any team to give up much for him with the injury concerns.
              Well I do not smoke the herbal medication which Travis Henry does, so I know that at best we are likely to get a 3rd, but I do think someone will offer a 4th or 5th at the least, just for the risk/reward type deal. Or Shanahan can offer it up as points in a better trade to move. But I still say Shanahan needs to take the best deal, even if it is a hight 6th round pick, that will be the only real escape the team will have from the contract burden.

Comment

No Release Whatsoever!

If I were the GM of the Broncos, I would make it clear to Javon and his agent that we will trade him so long as it is NO LESS than a 3rd round pick.

That will give them the incentive for Javon to start singing again like he did before he came here and do everything to show he is healthy.

I would also make it clear that should they not get at least a 3rd, then NO TRADE and NO RELEASE!

This team is in the "rebuilding/transition" phase it is in because of previous transactions like this. There is no way IMO to justify the loss of a 2nd round pick for a player's services for 10 games.

The bottom line is Javon signed on it! He had his choices and may now have to deal with it for the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosinindy View Post
                  Dont count on trading with Atlanta. because Jim Mckay is not calling the shots on player movement. IT could get done but it will have to be done with out mckays help.
                  As long as Javon gets sent to the Boonies and far away from us. I'll be happy with any round pick we can get

and those those who read my other post... it was a suggestion.
                  McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

Originally posted by jumpslash View Post
                    let's send him to houston........for matt shaub......and andre johnson........and gary kubiak......
                    why on earth would you want shaub??

Comment

Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
                      If I were the GM of the Broncos, I would make it clear to Javon and his agent that we will trade him so long as it is NO LESS than a 3rd round pick.

That will give them the incentive for Javon to start singing again like he did before he came here and do everything to show he is healthy.

I would also make it clear that should they not get at least a 3rd, then NO TRADE and NO RELEASE!

This team is in the "rebuilding/transition" phase it is in because of previous transactions like this. There is no way IMO to justify the loss of a 2nd round pick for a player's services for 10 games.

The bottom line is Javon signed on it! He had his choices and may now have to deal with it for the long run.
                      So you want to pay him the 5 million dollar roster bonus.. and keep his "this offense isn't want I want" mentality in the locker room. Well, thats one way to go

Comment

Market Value

One point that hasn't been raised yet is the value the Raiders received for trading Randy Moss to the Patriots. Performance issues aside for minute, the Raiders received a 4th rounder for Moss who had some of the same question marks as far as health (ankle) and attitude (quitting on the team or not playing 100% every play). Obviously, Javon has a different set of circumstances, but don't forget that he is nearly the same age as Moss as well.

I think we will likely trade Javon and a draft pick to move up in the draft. It may be late on day one where the third round is nearly over and the Broncos want to snag a guy they've targeted before everyone goes home for the evening and reshuffles their draft boards. Perhaps the Broncos will trade Walker and a 5th rounder to do it, or perhaps they trade next year's 4th and Walker to do it. If he's not traded by the end of the draft, we're stuck with him.

Comment

day one is only round 1 and round 2 now.....

Comment

Originally posted by JMarinovic View Post
                            If he's not traded by the end of the draft, we're stuck with him.
                            Actually, I believe his big bonus is due in a couple months--so he'll be traded or cut well before then. If we do have him at the time of the draft at all then it means something big has happened, such as a change of attitude and a restructured contract for Javon and he'll be staying.

Comment

I think we will see Javon be dealt to a team for another recieverk that may be underacheiving or not fitting in with his current team.

To the Bucs for Michael Clayton - He is talented but has been in the doghouse for three years now. But we know he can be a talent. He just needs the opportunity.

To the Jags for Matt Jones - I dont know if he could be the number two we need but he is an athlete. Better than cutting Javon.

To St Louis for Drew Bennet - Had his best season for Hemerdinger. Not quite the prospect but a solid veteran reciever. Would be the second best reciever on this team.

To Carolina for a 3rd or 4th Round Draft Choice. They have been looking for a number two for quite some time. Javon could be 1b.

To the Saints for a draft pick or Devery Henderson

To San Fran for Darrell Jackson and draft chocies

The Broncos certainly have options. I think there best bet is to get another established veteran, that may not be on Javon levels, but can come in and compliment Marshall, Stokely, and Sheff.
                              A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                                I'd like to see us go after Bernard Berrian if Walker is dealt. He is a proven deep threat and he could basically fill Javon's shoes nicely in that regard and be a great #2 opposite Marshall.
                                I'd almost be willing to bet that we give him a look...he's be a decent compliment for Marshall and give us a good deep threat, if the Bears let him walk.

Comment

Working...
                                X