If It Were Lava's Defense.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If It Were Lava's Defense.....

Well, if you want to know how I would use this defense, here goes.

First we must establish our identity, and find out what's our strength. Right now we have a turnover defense, which means we HAVE to rely on turnovers, to be effective. Champ and Bly are good at getting int's while Dumervil and (maybe I'm reaching here) Abdullah have shown a knack at forcing fumbles. We dont have the front 7 to be forcing 3 and outs and giving up under 200 yards per game from the opposing offense, that was the reason we brought Bly here in the first place, to have another playmaker in the pass game to help with our turnover defense on the opposite side of Champ. The year before Bly was here we were a turnover/blitz defense and it worked well. Since we have them under contract, and there's really no quick fix to our front 7, we must play to our strength....getting turnovers. What that means is we have to have a front 7 decent enough to just "hold the fort" while we wait for our turnover to be forced. Force the occasional punts and such. We can have our safeties play closer to the line of scrimmage, because their resonsibility will be to play the underneath coverage while Bly and Bailey play deeper, not all the time of course but enough to say thats our style.....since they are faster down the field and can make a play on the ball in the air.

Now the only problem with that is when we play the top tier teams, who dont normally turn the ball over, we must blitz more. What this does is speeds the game up, the offense is not as comfortable, and it gives our CB's a chance to earn their money because they WILL be 1 on 1.

Just putting thoughts down, what would you do?
    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

need 10 character limit

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post

First we must establish our identity, and find out what's our strength. Right now we have a turnover defense, which means we HAVE to rely on turnovers, to be effective. Champ and Bly are good at getting int's while Dumervil and (maybe I'm reaching here) Abdullah have shown a knack at forcing fumbles. We dont have the front 7 to be forcing 3 and outs and giving up under 200 yards per game from the opposing offense, that was the reason we brought Bly here in the first place, to have another playmaker in the pass game to help with our turnover defense on the opposite side of Champ. The year before Bly was here we were a turnover/blitz defense and it worked well. Since we have them under contract, and there's really no quick fix to our front 7, we must play to our strength....getting turnovers. What that means is we have to have a front 7 decent enough to just "hold the fort" while we wait for our turnover to be forced. Force the occasional punts and such. We can have our safeties play closer to the line of scrimmage, because their resonsibility will be to play the underneath coverage while Bly and Bailey play deeper, not all the time of course but enough to say thats our style.....since they are faster down the field and can make a play on the ball in the air.

Now the only problem with that is when we play the top tier teams, who dont normally turn the ball over, we must blitz more. What this does is speeds the game up, the offense is not as comfortable, and it gives our CB's a chance to earn their money because they WILL be 1 on 1.

Larry Coyer part 2?

No Thanks.
      sigpic

Comment

Wow... some very useful posts you guys made!

Anyways, I'd kinda go with what you say, take advantage of Champ and Bly's cover skills and put them on an island more than usual, and bring heavy pressure with lots of blitzes to compensate for our pitiful D-line. It was pathetic how much we blitzed this year. When we did blitz it did a reasonably good job, not stellar by any means, but at least we got some pressure. I'm not gonna go into it as much as you did, but mainly i'd just add many more blitzes to the gameplan.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
          Wow... some very useful posts you guys made!
          Just taking an opportunity to have fun. 23 views when I posted and not one reply. I thought my reply pretty much codified what most people were thinking. Not to mention that what Lava stated is pretty much what has happened under Coyer and previous DC's in Denver. Of all the posts I've read this one almost literally inspired me to yawn more than any other.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGlue Factory View Post

need 10 character limit

No offense, Glue, but I think that one takes the cake for least substantial post in the history of Broncomania.

P.S. Although I like how you got around the infamous 10-character limit.
            sigpic
            They're your teammates, now.
            Best of luck, TT!
            ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
              Anyways, I'd kinda go with what you say, take advantage of Champ and Bly's cover skills and put them on an island more than usual

Do you really think that's a good idea?

sigpic
              They're your teammates, now.
              Best of luck, TT!
              ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

hmmmm I was ready to hammer you but i lost motivation........

Comment

Where is the change in what was suggested in what we do now? How do you play the defense so that champ and bly get turnoverS?????? Where is the change? We simply let the defense stay on the field and hope they cause a turnover????

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                    Where is the change in what was suggested in what we do now? How do you play the defense so that champ and bly get turnoverS?????? Where is the change? We simply let the defense stay on the field and hope they cause a turnover????
                    It's genius! Championship!

Comment

Would work but then you will have problems with the Routes changing, instead of the Wide outs going up the field they will shorten their routes and go back towards the QB and thats where the QB will have time to throw.

The best thing is to go with a 4-3 - 2 -2 defense

Instead of relying on a Power D line to penetrate the backfield. we use them to shift the Offensive line. right into the Face of the QB as well towards the sideline to limit where the QB can scramble off to. This Push and shove D-line will also take away the center lanes for the run game, leaving the OLB and ILB to make plays on the outside while the MLB and two safeties plug the holes.

In the running game keeping with the 4-3-2-2 and play the CB's on the lines. and have the SS and FS come up to play 15 yards off the line. To watch the gaps of the Offensive line. its the job of the Dline to collapse those hoples by the O line and open up areas where you want the RB to run to and thats right into your Line backers and Safeties.

Yet thats my two cents right there..
                      McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

...what would you do?

Since you asked,

I would get two fat run stuffers for the middle of the line.

I would put Crowder and Moss on the ends.

I would get a mean nasty vicious middle linebacker and move DJ back to the weak side where he can be a play maker.

I would call a lot of blitzes.

I would keep the safeties deep in the middle with the linebackers covering underneath.

The cornerbacks would play a lot of bump and run.

I would even incorporate some 3-4 looks, with Moss and Crowder moving back into linebacker positions(if I remember correctly, they both did pretty well in the linebacker drills at the combine, so they might be able to handle linebacker duties on a limited basis).

One of the fatty tackles would be the nose tackle while McKinley and Thomas come in to play defensive end.

Dumervil would be strictly a situational pass rusher in a 4-3 set, unless he demonstrates an ability to play an inside linebacker position in a 3-4 set, then he would go in on some of those plays as well.
                        My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                        You Mad Bro?
                        Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post

Dumervil would be strictly a situational pass rusher in a 4-3 set, unless he demonstrates an ability to play an inside linebacker position in a 3-4 set, then he would go in on some of those plays as well.
                          So you would take our only stud pass rusher and have him play less?

I know he hasn't been great against the run, but as other posts have shown: no worse than Crowder, Moss or Englerberger.....

You are worrying too much over his size, which is sad
                          Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                          Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                          Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by JoRo View Post
                            So you would take our only stud pass rusher and have him play less?

I know he hasn't been great against the run, but as other posts have shown: no worse than Crowder, Moss or Englerberger.....

You are worrying too much over his size, which is sad
                            The potential to be strong against the run is far greater with Crowder and Moss than Dumervil.
                            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                            You Mad Bro?
                            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

we are not going to the 3-4. People think the 3-4 is the end all of defenses, and it isn't.

We aren't going to the 3-4.

Comment

Working...
                              X