• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynch sees "unfinished business"

Lynch sees "unfinished business"
    By The Denver Post
    Article Last Updated: 01/08/2008 12:02:11 AM MST

After returning from a short family vacation, veteran safety John Lynch went on his television show Monday night sounding like he wanted to continue playing.

But Lynch wouldn't fully commit to coming back to the Broncos for his 16th season in the NFL.

"I still love the game of football," Lynch said during his show on KCNC-4.

Lynch said during the show he still needs to talk to coach Mike Shanahan about coming back. It is believed Lynch wants to return if he will continue to have a large role in the defense. In the past, Lynch has said he doesn't want to be a situational player. Lynch, 36, said he will make his decision soon.

Lynch went on to say he came to Denver to help the Broncos win the Super Bowl and
    that "unfinished business lends to me wanting to come back."

----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

I was happy when we signed Lynch

but now he is too slow, safety needs make up speed which Lynch lacks at the age of 35. I'd rather see Paymah start in the position.
    sigpic

Comment

i love lynch to death an he is a great leader but i dont want him back, he is a liability as a starter, he is much slower and has become a hinderance in the pass defense! if he is willing to take a back-up leadership role I am all for it, but it is time to get younger and improve the speed and athleticism of our safety and db core!

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteyford View Post
        but now he is too slow, safety needs make up speed which Lynch lacks at the age of 35. I'd rather see Paymah start in the position.
        Well, on top of his speed being a cause for concern, he was essentially relegated to a situational player over the course of the season, as he was taken out during obvious pass situaitons.

So with that, you'd almost have to think he'll either retire OR may even wind up on another team elsewhere.
        sigpic

Comment

For God sakes, just retire. Denver has a habit of keeping players until they roll over and die, which in return has hurt their ability to draft and acquire youth at positions of need. Just leave John, just go.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream View Post
            For God sakes, just retire. Denver has a habit of keeping players until they roll over and die, which in return has hurt their ability to draft and acquire youth at positions of need. Just leave John, just go.
            Actually, to hear some tell it, Rod Smith is the only aging vet we've been respectful towards under Shanahan.

It's hard for some of these guys to let go, especially after a rough season. Every player wants to go out like John Elway...which is exactly why many of them wind up staying on much longer than they should.

I think regardless, I don't see Lynch coming back to Denver next season. That's not to say, however, that he will retire...
            sigpic

Comment

In the past, Lynch has said he doesn't want to be a situational player. Lynch, 36, said he will make his decision soon.
              Yeah... I really don't know if that is going to happen if he comes back..

Comment

Hey even if Lynch is slow, he helps stop the run. His leader ship on and off the field is such a need for a team when they are rebuilding. I say that Lynch puts in some speed work during the off season and makes a push for the starting roll. Kinda like when Jerry Rice came over for camp. Nothing was handed to him, he needed to prove him self. Then after camp a decision can be made by Lynch. I honestly feel Shanahan will tell Lynch its all up to him. Come into camp healthy,strong,quick and you will have a big roll in what this defense can do for 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                  Hey even if Lynch is slow, he helps stop the run. His leader ship on and off the field is such a need for a team when they are rebuilding. I say that Lynch puts in some speed work during the off season and makes a push for the starting roll. Kinda like when Jerry Rice came over for camp. Nothing was handed to him, he needed to prove him self. Then after camp a decision can be made by Lynch. I honestly feel Shanahan will tell Lynch its all up to him. Come into camp healthy,strong,quick and you will have a big roll in what this defense can do for 2008.
                  Lynch will never make those kinds of concessions in order to return to Denver.
                  sigpic

Comment

Am I really the only one that is excited at the thought of Lynch coming back next year?

Despite his lack of speed.. The leadership and how is makes players scared to cross the middle is way more valuable than speed.

He has heart and passion for the game of football.. and that is way more important.

If you don't have that.. you don't have nothing..

Comment

Originally posted by calibroncogrl47 View Post
                      Am I really the only one that is excited at the thought of Lynch coming back next year?

Despite his lack of speed.. The leadership and how is makes players scared to cross the middle is way more valuable than speed.

He has heart and passion for the game of football.. and that is way more important.

If you don't have that.. you don't have nothing..

Although I'm mostly indifferent towards Lynch returning, heart and passion can only carry you so far. You have to have the talent and ability to make a difference. Otherwise, you're just another Jerry Rice, playing too many years beyond your prime and not knowing when to hang it up.
                      sigpic

Comment

I think, and this is just me, John can still play and we need him next year, one more year.

His leadership is evident. Tenn game? is that the one where our D couldn't even get the set coverage that drive John wasn't in? Either way you get my point.

With a lot of young guys on D, esp the line and I see them getting a ton of playing time next year along with the guys we draft on D this year, it is very important in the grooming of these guys.

I do think that John's role should be ruduced, just a little. not to much where it is pointless to have him on the team and his leadership isn't used.

He can still hit like a mack truck. He might be the smartest guy on the field along with Champ on D, or on the team for that matter.

One more year could be great for the long run of this team. Face it, we aren't going to the SB next year but we can make the playoffs and whatever John can rub off on these young guys will pay off in in years to come.

1 more year.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post
                          I think, and this is just me, John can still play and we need him next year, one more year.

His leadership is evident. Tenn game? is that the one where our D couldn't even get the set coverage that drive John wasn't in? Either way you get my point.

With a lot of young guys on D, esp the line and I see them getting a ton of playing time next year along with the guys we draft on D this year, it is very important in the grooming of these guys.

I do think that John's role should be ruduced, just a little. not to much where it is pointless to have him on the team and his leadership isn't used.

He can still hit like a mack truck. He might be the smartest guy on the field along with Champ on D, or on the team for that matter.

One more year could be great for the long run of this team. Face it, we aren't going to the SB next year but we can make the playoffs and whatever John can rub off on these young guys will pay off in in years to come.

1 more year.
                          Or he could step aside and allow one of the younger guys on defense to step in and develop into a leader.

Just playing devil's advocate here...
                          sigpic

Comment

I think we need him on the team, if only to be a vocal leader in the locker room and on the field. If he gets beaten out of his position and wants to be released to prove he still "has it" somewhere else, we let him. But I think his ability to teach and work with our younger players is priceless.
                            In Manning I trust.

Comment

I will be happy to have him back one more year.

Comment

Working...
                              X