Three-four Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three-four Defense

What's wrong with running a 3-4 defense? It seems like most of the teams advancing in the playoffs run this scheme. We already have the players that seem to fit this scheme, just not the coordinator. Any thoughts???
    sigpic

Originally posted by qbronco View Post
    What's wrong with running a 3-4 defense? It seems like most of the teams advancing in the playoffs run this scheme. We already have the players that seem to fit this scheme, just not the coordinator. Any thoughts???
    I love the 3-4 defense, and believe it to be a great defense to run against some of the better offense's in the NFL.

However, it would take at least 2-3 years to bring in the right players and coaches for it to even have a chance, and even then, it has it's weaknesses (as any defensive scheme does).

Like everything else, however, you need the players to make it work.
    sigpic

Comment

I believe the key to a 3-4 defense is having a great Nose Tackle and I just dont see one on the Defensive line? Marcus Thomas? He relies more on quickness then strength
      A Mile High Salute to the greatest Broncos fan of them all.Tim"Barrelman"McKernan,you have given us so many wonderful memories seeing you in the stands of all the Denver Broncos games over the years supporting the team that we all love

LETS WIN ONE SUNDAY FOR THE BARRELMAN! You will be missed

Comment

if the chargers pats and dallas lose this weekend, the 3-4 loses a ton of its luster
        sigpic

Comment

They are having a hard enough time finding good Linemen for a 4-3 , 3-4 linemen are even harder to find because of that nosetackle position, i do think Moss and Elvis could fit the mold as LB/DE hybrids in a 3-4.
          "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

For one, we don't have the personal.

Comment

I just think we were better utilizing quickness, due to the fact our linebackers and defensive ends were obviously drafted on speed rather than power. A big nose guard isn't that hard to find we cut 3 or 4 of them this season. Dallas, New England, San Diego seem to have figured it out. I wouldn't mind being in their positions right now, instead of ours!!!
              sigpic

Comment

It would take a while for our defense to adapt to the 3-4. Also yes a great NT is required, think Casey Hampton for steelers, hes a beast.

Comment

As mentioned here by several others, we don't have the right personnel and it will take time to acquire it. But to add to this...

Like anything in the NFL, the 3-4 is 'hot' right now because some of the better teams are running it. Several years ago, everyone wanted massive DTs in a 4-3 because the Ravens were so dominate. The NFL is a copy-cat league. But it doesn't work for everyone - not to mention that the 4-3, with the right players, can be just as good as a 3-4 (with the right players).

You also have to consider the ability to get quality players. Most college teams run a 4-3, so 3-4 teams in the NFL must project whether a smaller DE can make the transition to OLB, plus can a DT used to playing with another DT make the transition to a solo NT? In general, the pipeline of 4-3 players is a bit more consistent and 'reliable', if you will.

Now, I know a lot of you will be saying - but look at NE and Pitts, etc. They've run it for years and are always great/very good. True, but consider this. It wasn't too long ago that NE and Pitts were about the only 2 teams consistently running the 3-4. Hence, they had their pick of players that fit the scheme. No more. With more and more teams running it, the competition for these players is increasing. To wit: NE, for the first time, signs a big $$ free agent LB. And, look at NEs aging defensive roster (particularly their LBs).

No longer can you lurk at the bottom of each round and still grab every guy you want because there are at least 7 other teams now that want the same talent.

Can the 3-4 be great? Sure. Is it for everyone? No. In a few years, some team with a great 4-3 will have all the average/unsuccessful 3-4 teams' fans crying 'let's run the 4-3!'

Comment

Only 4 of the 12 playoff teams use the 3-4 defense. It's not any better than the 4-3.

I'm not opposed to the Broncos using that scheme but I don't think it's necessarily the answer to their problems. I doubt it would take as long as some people like to believe. You're talking about getting a nose tackle and possibly two outside linebackers, if Moss and Crowder aren't up to the task. If I remember correctly, they both did pretty well in linebacker drills at the combine, so they might be able to do it. I remember there being speculation that the Cowboys might have taken Moss last year if he had been available at their pick. Obviously that would have been to play linebacker because he's not a 3-4 defensive end.

All in all, if you're hoping for the Broncos to switch to the 3-4 defense, don't hold your breath.
                    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                    You Mad Bro?
                    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

What's wrong with running a 3-4 defense?
                      nothing as long as we have a solid D-line...

Comment

i doubt denver will play 3-4 anytime soon.

Comment

Somebody has to sticky a topic on all the problems with us switching to a 3-4 defense. There are like at least 5 of these topics every off season.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                            I love the 3-4 defense, and believe it to be a great defense to run against some of the better offense's in the NFL.

However, it would take at least 2-3 years to bring in the right players and coaches for it to even have a chance, and even then, it has it's weaknesses (as any defensive scheme does).

Like everything else, however, you need the players to make it work.
                            What player types do you think we are missing here to run the 3-4? Maybe you can use other players around the league as examples.

I think we have the right timing and talent to switch it over. We have Dumervil who could fit in like the OLB in the system and or Jarvis Moss at the other i.e. Kiwanuka in NY or Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears in Dalls. This will help free up Dumervil for sure. It will also give DJ time and keep bodies off him to get to the play. Our corners can go back to man (which they do best).

I dont see how this couldnt work especially if we plan to be blitz heavy again. Further, if the rumors of Wade's demise in Dallas are true he would be ideal to return to the AFC West (and Denver) he knows the teams and he may be the best at installing a 3-4.

I would be back to pumped about our post season prospects if any of this were to happen

Comment

Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
                              What player types do you think we are missing here to run the 3-4? Maybe you can use other players around the league as examples.

I think we have the right timing and talent to switch it over. We have Dumervil who could fit in like the OLB in the system and or Jarvis Moss at the other i.e. Kiwanuka in NY or Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears in Dalls. This will help free up Dumervil for sure. It will also give DJ time and keep bodies off him to get to the play. Our corners can go back to man (which they do best).

I dont see how this couldnt work especially if we plan to be blitz heavy again. Further, if the rumors of Wade's demise in Dallas are true he would be ideal to return to the AFC West (and Denver) he knows the teams and he may be the best at installing a 3-4.

I would be back to pumped about our post season prospects if any of this were to happen

While Jarvis and Dumervil might fit nicely on the outside, we have no NT, and Crowder would still have to bulk up to aobut 290-300 to become the proper DE in a 3-4 set. I would say though that Marcus Thomas would be a good fit for one DE postition.

Honestly, switiching to a 3-4 is the last thing I would suspect from us anytime soon.

In other words, it WILL NOT happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X