No announcement yet.

Three-four Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The jump to a 3-4 isn't as tough as it might seem. You just need a DC that knows how to run it and the right players. When the Chargers switched to the 3-4 in 2004 they went 12-4 so it was a pretty smooth transition even though some of the players didn't fit. Ben Leber wasn't right for a 3-4 OLB but the Bolts picked up cheap street free agent Steve Foley and he had a great year (10 sacks). They also picked up veteran ILB Randall Godfrey who fit in well. The biggest need in a 3-4 defense is the nose tackle & a lot of people in Chargerland didn't think the 305 lbs. Jamal Williams could pull it off. Well he bulked up to 348 and 3 pro bowls later is the best defensive lineman in the league.

The advantage in the 3-4 is that the QB doesn't know where the 4th rusher is coming from.

The Broncos would definitely need some new personnel to run the 3-4.

Here is where I would put their current players in a 3-4.

Ideally you would like your:
    DE's to be around 300 lbs
    NT's to be at least 325
    OLB's to be the size of 4-3 DE's
    ILB's in the 235-250 range

DE Tim Crowder (Starter)
    DE Kenny Peterson
    DE Ebenezer Ekuban
    DE Alvin McKinley
    DE Steven Harris
    DE Marcus Thomas (Starter - projects much better at DE than NT)
    DE Julian Jenkins
    DE Nic Clemons
    DE Michael Bozeman
    NT Antwon Burton (Starter by default)
    OLB Jarvis Moss (Starter)
    OLB John Engelberger
    OLB Elvis Dumervil (Starter)
    OLB Larry Birdine
    OLB Paul Carrington
    OLB Josh Mallard
    ILB D.J. Williams (Starter)
    ILB Jamie Winborn
    ILB Ian Gold
    ILB Louis Green
    ILB Nate Webster (Starter)
    ILB Jordan Beck

The Broncos would want to bulk up Crowder, sign a free agent to start at NT and draft one for the future and find an ILB to eventually replace Webster. That could be done in one off-season.

Comment

The Bears seem to do just fine with a 4-3.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawCharger View Post
        The jump to a 3-4 isn't as tough as it might seem. You just need a DC that knows how to run it and the right players. When the Chargers switched to the 3-4 in 2004 they went 12-4 so it was a pretty smooth transition even though some of the players didn't fit. Ben Leber wasn't right for a 3-4 OLB but the Bolts picked up cheap street free agent Steve Foley and he had a great year (10 sacks). They also picked up veteran ILB Randall Godfrey who fit in well. The biggest need in a 3-4 defense is the nose tackle & a lot of people in Chargerland didn't think the 305 lbs. Jamal Williams could pull it off. Well he bulked up to 348 and 3 pro bowls later is the best defensive lineman in the league.

The advantage in the 3-4 is that the QB doesn't know where the 4th rusher is coming from.

The Broncos would definitely need some new personnel to run the 3-4.

Here is where I would put their current players in a 3-4.

Ideally you would like your:
        DE's to be around 300 lbs
        NT's to be at least 325
        OLB's to be the size of 4-3 DE's
        ILB's in the 235-250 range

DE Tim Crowder (Starter)
        DE Kenny Peterson
        DE Ebenezer Ekuban
        DE Alvin McKinley
        DE Steven Harris
        DE Marcus Thomas (Starter - projects much better at DE than NT)
        DE Julian Jenkins
        DE Nic Clemons
        DE Michael Bozeman
        NT Antwon Burton (Starter by default)
        OLB Jarvis Moss (Starter)
        OLB John Engelberger
        OLB Elvis Dumervil (Starter)
        OLB Larry Birdine
        OLB Paul Carrington
        OLB Josh Mallard
        ILB D.J. Williams (Starter)
        ILB Jamie Winborn
        ILB Ian Gold
        ILB Louis Green
        ILB Nate Webster (Starter)
        ILB Jordan Beck

The Broncos would want to bulk up Crowder, sign a free agent to start at NT and draft one for the future and find an ILB to eventually replace Webster. That could be done in one off-season.
        CP for the nice post!

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by jhildebrand View Post
          What player types do you think we are missing here to run the 3-4? Maybe you can use other players around the league as examples.

I think we have the right timing and talent to switch it over. We have Dumervil who could fit in like the OLB in the system and or Jarvis Moss at the other i.e. Kiwanuka in NY or Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears in Dalls. This will help free up Dumervil for sure. It will also give DJ time and keep bodies off him to get to the play. Our corners can go back to man (which they do best).

I dont see how this couldnt work especially if we plan to be blitz heavy again. Further, if the rumors of Wade's demise in Dallas are true he would be ideal to return to the AFC West (and Denver) he knows the teams and he may be the best at installing a 3-4.

I would be back to pumped about our post season prospects if any of this were to happen

Don't look for Wade Phillips to return to the Broncos as long as Shanahan is the head coach. I remember it being reported that the reason Wade was hired to replace Reeves instead of Shanahan was because Shanahan was going to fire Wade and bring in his own DC. Bowlen didn't like that idea so he went with Wade instead. Once Wade was dumped, in came Shanahan. I doubt either one wants to work with the other.

Other than that, good post.

I'm indifferent about switching because neither scheme is better than the other. A 4-3 defense can be just as good or better than a 3-4 defense if you have the right talent. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, only 4 of the 12 playoff teams this year use the 3-4 defense.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

The theory a while back was that we brought in Champ, and now Bly, to beat the Colts. The switch to 3-4 is a natural step in that direction if that's the ultimate goal.

The biggest issue is teaching a new system. Moving career DEs to OLB can't be easy. Neither is learning an entirely new playbook. And it negates the strength of our defense, which is speed. IMO I'd rather see the team return to dominance next year adding a couple of pieces to the 4-3 than struggle for 3 years getting all the pieces to make the 3-4 conversion.

I would like to see us bring in a NT that would allow us to use it parttime as a change of pace. But I can't see a good reason (besides beating Peyton Manning) to make a switch to 3-4.
            "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X