Slowik's scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowik's scheme

Assuming the RMN is correct and Bob takes the full reins does anyone have a read on his pedigree and preferred defense. Something in the back of my rolodex says Slowik comes from a Greg Robinson type school of D with blitzes and aggressive play calling. I could be totally wrong though. Where's Top when I need him?
    "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Originally posted by DiehardinAlaska View Post
    Assuming the RMN is correct and Bob takes the full reins does anyone have a read on his pedigree and preferred defense. Something in the back of my rolodex says Slowik comes from a Greg Robinson type school of D with blitzes and aggressive play calling. I could be totally wrong though. Where's Top when I need him?
    Slowik will be more like the two mentors he has had - Greg Robinson and Larry Coyer, he is the bend but don't break type of defense, the issue is how will he pan out compared to his mentors?

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
      Slowik will be more like the two mentors he has had - Greg Robinson and Larry Coyer, he is the bend but don't break type of defense, the issue is how will he pan out compared to his mentors?
      With the type of offenses and players we play against every year I can guarantee we will be bending and breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
        With the type of offenses and players we play against every year I can guarantee we will be bending and breaking.
        By the way just so you know, the bend but don't brake defense was in place in Denver from 95' through 2006 under two coaches mainly Greg Robinson and Larry Coyer, we won two Super Bowls with that same type of defense...so do not discount it yet, I just am unsure if Slowik is ready.

Last edited by lancane; 01-08-2008, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Slowik was D-coordinator before:

Slowik, 53, has eight years’ experience as an NFL defensive coordinator, working in that capacity for Green Bay (2004), Cleveland (1999) and Chicago (1993-98), and has instructed six players who have earned a total of nine Pro Bowl selections. He joined the Broncos after coaching with the Packers for five seasons, serving as the club’s defensive backs coach from 2000-03 before being named defensive coordinator in 2004.

I believe not too bad in Chicago, if fact....

Comment

By the way just so you know, the bend but don't brake defense was in place in Denver from 95' through 2006 under two coaches mainly Greg Robinson and Larry Coyer, we won two Super Bowls with that same type of defense...so do not discount it yet, I just am unsure if Slowik is ready.

We have not had the same kind of talent on the line like we had back then though.

This years line was arguably one of the worst we've seen ever against the run and even with help in the draft and free agency I don't think we will be able to stop the run that great next year either against high powered offenses.

Wish Bates would have stayed I honestly think this put us another step in the wrong direction.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
              We have not had the same kind of talent on the line like we had back then though.

This years line was arguably one of the worst we've seen ever against the run and even with help in the draft and free agency I don't think we will be able to stop the run that great next year either against high powered offenses.

Wish Bates would have stayed I honestly think this put us another step in the wrong direction.
              Green Bay and Chicago used it, it led GB to a Super Bowl as well, it can be dominant at times, but it does help you win against powerful offenses as well...we will just have to see. I agree on Bates, but too late that train has left the station.

Comment

Bates was incredibly unfortunate this year...with the FA/draft talent available at DT for example, not to mention the emotional state of the team. I feel for the guy, he ended up in a bad position.

But there's nowt we can do about it now.

What I do know about Slowik was that in his 2004 season (check the rankings for the team on the official Bates Fired thread, I'm sure you'll find them amusing) GB dumped his scheme early on in the season after he conceded 5 TDs to Peyton in the first half. They then conceded 5 TDs to Donovan McNabb in week 11.

Take what you will, but things could possibly get worse. And I'm an optimistic guy.
                sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
                  Bates was incredibly unfortunate this year...with the FA/draft talent available at DT for example, not to mention the emotional state of the team. I feel for the guy, he ended up in a bad position.

But there's nowt we can do about it now.

What I do know about Slowik was that in his 2004 season (check the rankings for the team on the official Bates Fired thread, I'm sure you'll find them amusing) GB dumped his scheme early on in the season after he conceded 5 TDs to Peyton in the first half. They then conceded 5 TDs to Donovan McNabb in week 11.

Take what you will, but things could possibly get worse. And I'm an optimistic guy.

Dear god, I do believe things just got worse...

My new motto instead of firing Shanny will be, Just Say No to Slo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PaperBagBronco View Post
                    Dear god, I do believe things just got worse...

My new motto instead of firing Shanny will be, Just Say No to Slo!!!

Comment

So it is official that Slo is taking over? If that is the case, I hope the bend don't break philosophy doesn't come with it. I'm so sick of it. Any player responses yet? That would be the most interesting thing to hear. I'd like to hear Champ or Lynch comment on it.

Comment

Originally posted by spcdlee02 View Post
                        So it is official that Slo is taking over? If that is the case, I hope the bend don't break philosophy doesn't come with it. I'm so sick of it. Any player responses yet? That would be the most interesting thing to hear. I'd like to hear Champ or Lynch comment on it.
                        Slowik is from the bend don't break system: Wannstedt, Rhodes, Coyer were some of his mentors, Coyer is from Robinson's system in Denver, Rhodes the 49ers and Wannstedt of course from Jimmy Johnson and those many years coaching with him, sadly they are all from the bend don't break schemes. But that is the plus, usually those teams offenses were so good that the bend don't break worked well...Young, Rice and company in San Fran, Aikman, Smith, Irving and company in Dallas and Elway, Smith, T.D. and company in Denver...all Super Bowl winners with the bend don't break philosophy. But they were all offensive powerhouses which we are a line, halfback and a receiver away from.

Comment

I always hated that defense! All too often it bent and THEN broke, and anyway a bend-but-not-break defense is always on the field a LOT. They rarely get three and outs, so the pressure is always on the offense to score because they don't get the ball that much.

The reason the Broncos won the SB was having Hall of Famers and Pro-bowlers like Elway, Rod Smith, Shannon SarpeGary Zimmerman and T.D., not the defense.
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh god, it is true.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Anybody else starting to get the feeling that Shanahan doesn't give a d*** about defense?
                              "Oh I Have Slipped The Surly Bonds of Earth... Put Out My Hand And Touched the Face of God"

-Rest In Peace, Darrent & Damien

Comment

Working...
                              X