Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SmokeBassett
    replied
    Regarding the blitzing issue, Larry Coyer's a decent DC, but he killed us in the playoffs with his DB blitzes. I know because I recorded both games against the Colts and, since they were the only football games I had on tape, I watched them over and over in the offseason. Watched each game dozens and dozens of times.

I don't know if we would have won, but I know we got HAMMERED because of those DB blitzes. They were a very, very bad strategy.

You gotta blitz sometimes, but if you're blitzing nickel backs (who have no chance of getting through the pass protection) and leaving receivers uncovered, you're gonna get embarassed by Manning and co.

Leave a comment:

• delirium_05
    replied
    Wasn't Slowik the one calling the plays after the first five games, or was it Johnson?

If it was Slowik......here's to 2009. We were downright horrible after the first 5 games, save a few. I didn't expect Bates to stay here, I figured he'd get fired or resign, which he did. But, come on, Slowik? There's a reason why we hasn't been a defensive coordinator for 4 years. You guys can say that maybe he's learned, but couldn't the same have been said about Bates? Obviously not.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoSexyDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by neutessa View Post
    Slowik was D-coordinator before:

Slowik, 53, has eight years’ experience as an NFL defensive coordinator, working in that capacity for Green Bay (2004), Cleveland (1999) and Chicago (1993-98), and has instructed six players who have earned a total of nine Pro Bowl selections. He joined the Broncos after coaching with the Packers for five seasons, serving as the club’s defensive backs coach from 2000-03 before being named defensive coordinator in 2004.

I believe not too bad in Chicago, if fact....
    Thanks for the info on Slowik,i never heard of him before until now

Leave a comment:

• lancane
    replied
    Originally posted by VA BroncosFan View Post
    I think we have just made Lynch's mind up for him. Thanks alot Bowlen.
    Probably, cause more then likely he will return because Bates is gone and Slowik is in charge! Secondly we have Lynch likely returning along with Abdullah...I would not be surprised if Shanahan did not go safety in the draft, not until the 4th or 5th round, seriously. Plus next off-season do you know how many pro-bowl safties will be free agents? Darren Sharper, Lawyer Milloy, Brian Dawkins, even Rodney Harrison...we have youth in Abdullah, and one thing we know about Shanahan is he loves veteran defenders in the backfield!

Leave a comment:

• DiehardinAlaska
    replied
    Better with age?

First of all thanks for everyone who responded and especially the guys who knew the history better than I about Slowik's influences!!

Not that I'm sold on him at all but just maybe he's learned a thing or two.

I remember this cat named Wade Phillips who we fired before Shanahan because he just didn't get it done as a head coach. I think we lost to the Raiders three times that year!!

And then a few years later he's contending for a SuperBowl. Why should the coaches be any different than the rest of us? We didn't stop learning did we? Didn't Belichek suck in Cleveland? I'm sure there's a ton of examples...

Leave a comment:

• Loyalty
    replied
    I am hoping this works. I would have liked to have a guy from 3-4 school come in, but in the end we need to have a good offense to win. Look at the Patriots, last year their offense was mediocre and their defense was good. That did not get them past the Colts. The way to beat the Colts is to have a great offense and a decent defense.

Slowik has not done bad as defensive coordinator considering that only in 2004 did his team (Packers) have a decent offense. Even then Favre played erratic at times. The one thing that concerned me about his defense that year was they only had 8 interceptions. They did have 40 sacks though and made the playoffs (last time before this year the Packers made the playoffs). He was fired after the year and replaced by Bates who didn't do much better with the guys. Actually it wasn't until this year that the Packers defense significantly improved. That tells me they have better players.

The bottom line is we need better players on defense (DL, LB, and S). Plus, we need a better offensive line.

I withhold judgement, but I am hoping for the best. I say ride Shanahan as long as we can, because what were we before him, 4-time Super Bowl loser. People tend to forget how hard it was for the Broncos to be a really good team before Shanahan.

Leave a comment:

• Shawshank24
    replied
    Originally posted by VA BroncosFan View Post
    this might not be true. the summary mug posted says he likes 8 in the box and blitzes a lot. with how much is seems like he likes to bring blitzes, john may be right where he wants to be as he could be blitzing and run support more often than pass coverage... i just hope if he stays and is out there at SS then we get a good FS (kenny phillips?)

Leave a comment:

• VA BroncosFan
    replied
    Slowick????

Leave a comment:

• neutessa
    replied
    Originally posted by Humberg View Post
    As far as his past DC experience, well, everyone gets better the more experience they've had. Remember even Coach Shanahan didn't do so well his first stent out as head coach (in the silver and black). Slowik has now studied under numerous DC's and hopefully can put together a package that works well with our talent. Our secondary has been one of the best coached parts of our team lately under Slowik, and Champ called him the best coach he's ever played for - a rather glowing endorsement from one of the best. Promoting from within also tends to respect the need for consistency that players and fans alike were saying is important - to keep building on what happened this year rather than start all over.

I know it isn't glamerous, but I think it will be better than the second half of this year, especially with some key additions.
    Funny....exactly what I was going to post! Look, Slowik isn't what everyone wanted but I'm sure he has grown over the years as a DC. Most likely he'll even take some things he learned from Bates this year and make it his own. Whether it succeeds will probably hinge on personnel. At least the carryover players will have a level a familiarity with his scheme.

I just hope he spends some time working with these guys on tackling. A good dose of the fundamentals wouldn't hurt this group!

Leave a comment:

• Humberg
    replied
    Its interesting...

I think its kind of funny how people were saying how good our current defensive personel could have been under Coyer when they were calling for Bates' head. Now that we have Slowik (ala Robinson and Coyer), they're saying we'll stink. Remember, we were a pretty good defense in 2005 and 2006, Bates' scheme just stirred everything up. Slowik was an unwilling bystander last season and it can't really be blamed on him.

As far as his past DC experience, well, everyone gets better the more experience they've had. Remember even Coach Shanahan didn't do so well his first stent out as head coach (in the silver and black). Slowik has now studied under numerous DC's and hopefully can put together a package that works well with our talent. Our secondary has been one of the best coached parts of our team lately under Slowik, and Champ called him the best coach he's ever played for - a rather glowing endorsement from one of the best. Promoting from within also tends to respect the need for consistency that players and fans alike were saying is important - to keep building on what happened this year rather than start all over.

I know it isn't glamerous, but I think it will be better than the second half of this year, especially with some key additions.

Leave a comment:

• muse
    replied
    I'm not optimistic about this but there's not much that I can do. So I'm going to have to go along with it. If Slowik does do well, then I can say that I was wrong. I'm going to see this as a bad move until he proves otherwise simply because his past stints as a DC have been alarming.

However, he is in a slightly better position now...his players are behind him. When he was promoted in GB, Mike MacKenzie refused to play for him and was traded which was not helpful in the slightest.

I keep saying this and you're probably sick to death of it by now...but if we can get our hands on an athletic NT or two we've got a shot at having a decent defence. We need an anchor on the line who can play on the majority of downs, impose himself on the offence and act as a leader for the DL.

Leave a comment:

• NinjaPirateFunk
    replied
    i believe in both sides. i'm for giving him a chance, and not relying on the past, but you can't just completely 100% ignore ihs history either. i think there is a right to be nervous just based on his past. coaches have changed but some also haven't. it's not a bad thing that some people are worried about this. i personally think the players make all the difference sometimes but we'll see.

i don't think we can get much worse than what we've been like this season.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    LOL!

Believe it or not, ravage - I used some of those same examples earlier today when defending Slowik. I'm more cautious and pessimistic with the move than you are...but I did cite several of your examples.
    Well.... I just can't get pessimistic this early. Its just too early. We still have a LOT of offseason moves to make. Even the Chargers can overcome a lacking coach with talent. I know we don't have a TON of talent on the defense, but its not completely lacking. One good FA, and one good draft player (that can start his rookie season... although I never count on that, and don't think badly of the player if they can't).. and things can change in a BIG hurry.

Right now.. I'm just ready to sit back and see how things unfold. There is a LOT of time for people to get up into a hissy. Its far too soon for that, imo.

Leave a comment:

• mojo0730
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    different people different places.

Look. No one was excited about Belicheck taking over the patriots before he went there, either. No one was thrilled with Vermeil coming out of retirement to coach the Rams. The choice for Andy Reid was odd, because he wasn't even a coordinator, and Philly fans were SCREAMING.

Coaches learn and change. They learn things from experience and from coaching with other minds. They get different player personnel... and things just work out differently. I'm willing to wait and see. I figure it can't get worse
    LOL!

Believe it or not, ravage - I used some of those same examples earlier today when defending Slowik. I'm more cautious and pessimistic with the move than you are...but I did cite several of your examples.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    I agree, as well.

However, the one name that always popped up everywhere here and on the local radio that you didn't want taking over for Bates was Slowik. And after reading some of the things I read regarding his resume, I think the cause for concern is valid.
    different people different places.

Look. No one was excited about Belicheck taking over the patriots before he went there, either. No one was thrilled with Vermeil coming out of retirement to coach the Rams. The choice for Andy Reid was odd, because he wasn't even a coordinator, and Philly fans were SCREAMING.

Coaches learn and change. They learn things from experience and from coaching with other minds. They get different player personnel... and things just work out differently. I'm willing to wait and see. I figure it can't get worse

Leave a comment:

Working...
X