Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Javon Walker Speaks Out....Again; Apologizes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kmcgough25 View Post
    Cugel,

I agree with what you are saying, but there's more to it than that. The Yankees said they would not re-negotiate with A-Rod, but they did.

In all liklihood, his agent is probably sniffing around the league to see what kind of payday Javon could get if he's free to sign with another team. If it is not favorable, his stance on re-negotiating could all change.

Plus, he could keep the same type of money through some type of roster bonus or deferred payment.

Never say never.
    The Yankees are a Major League Baseball team! MLB doesn't have a salary cap! The Yankees for instance have total salary OVER $200 million per season! And of course baseball plays 162 games a year, not 16 so their revenues are a tinsy BIT higher!

I could go on, but I think you see the point. Are you ready to retract your ridiculous comparison now?

I personally would like to see Javon remain a Bronco. But, he's said he won't re-negotiate his contract, and the Broncos don't seem inclined to keep him at a cost of $7 million a year, when Brandon Marshall is going to be the #1 WR. He has little incentive to bend since he has a buy-out clause that will pay him a bonus even if he's cut. Then if he's picked up by another team, whatever he gets in salary from that team is just extra gravy.

The Broncos are still a run first team that looks to throw out of roll-outs and play-action passes. They don't have the offensive line for Cutler to simply drop straight back and throw down the field like Manning.

That is a lot of what Javon is unhappy about. Denver is not a pass first offense like Green Bay. He's happier in an offense where he can more reasonably expect to catch 100 balls a season. (He's assuming he's going to be completely healthy and just as good as he was of course, and he's also assuming that he's going to be the #1 WR). None of those assumptions are necessarily correct.

He can't exactly come out and say "I want to be #1, not Brandon Marshall", so he says the next best thing "I don't think you should lose your job just because of injury."

Well of course, that's silly. Players lose their jobs due to injury all the time in the NFL and he knows that. He's just pouting that Marshall is now ahead of him. He thinks (like all prima-donna WRs that he's the greatest thing since sliced toast and wants to be #1). Since he knows he won't be he's sulking.

Often injured and sulking. That's why the Broncos are shopping Javon as we type and will seek to find a team to trade him to.

Unless something dramatic happens to change the situation Javon Walker will NOT be back next season. Get used to it.
    Last edited by Cugel; 01-10-2008, 10:51 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TheFuture6 View Post
      Sorry if I missed it, but how much exactly is the buyout?

Either way, I cant stand players who play for the money. Its disgusting. He's scheduled to make 7 mil this year!!! Most of us dont see half of that in our entire lives. :brick:
      I haven't seen anything that shows the exact size of the buy-out, but here's what the RMN says about it:

Walker’s situation is a sticky one. The club’s top receiver in 2006, his cap number is slated to be $7.05 million. But two bonuses totaling $5.4 million are soon due, with one of them including a ‘poison-pill’ type provision that forces the team to pay him a substantial figure anyway even if it doesn’t pick it up. Cutting or trading Walker would accelerate monies already paid forward, creating dead money on the cap while still having to fill the roster void with a starting-caliber talent.

A renegotiation looks to be the best route for both sides, but Walker previously has shunned that possibility, saying other top players weren’t asked to take paycuts because of injuries.

He backed off some on that point Tuesday.

“The paying part, to tell you the truth, is not a big factor. I just want to go out and play and catch balls,” he said. “I’m not going to de-value what I’m worth. But I just want to play . . . go out and have fun. And maybe one day, I’ll have the opportunity to catch 100 balls.”

But that goes back to the ‘fit’ of which Walker previously talked about himself within Denver’s offense.

He again, twice, put his performance in a context of, “if I’m used properly.
      Translation: I'll stay and maybe even re-negotiate "if I'm used properly."

Well how can he be "used properly" if he's not the #1 WR?

Answer: He can't be. That's the point of his "I shouldn't lose my job because of injury."

He doesn't like being demoted to #2 WR while Brandon Marshall gets the balls that he should be catching (in his opinion). But, on the run-first Broncos offense there are simply not enough balls to satisfy him.

Now, if Denver's OL were better that might not be the case. Remember that both Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey had 100 catches in one season.

But, Ed was satisfied with being the route running possession #2 WR. Javon clearly isn't.

The logical thing to do is to trade Javon to another team that will absorb part or all of his salary cap hit. If Shanahan can pull that off he probably will, and then bring in a new WR via FA or in the draft who will be satisfied being #2 and won't complain about "not being used properly."
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Cugel View Post
        The Yankees are a Major League Baseball team! MLB doesn't have a salary cap! The Yankees for instance have total salary OVER $200 million per season! And of course baseball plays 162 games a year, not 16 so their revenues are a tinsy BIT higher!

I could go on, but I think you see the point. Are you ready to retract your ridiculous comparison now?

I personally would like to see Javon remain a Bronco. But, he's said he won't re-negotiate his contract, and the Broncos don't seem inclined to keep him at a cost of $7 million a year, when Brandon Marshall is going to be the #1 WR. He has little incentive to bend since he has a buy-out clause that will pay him a bonus even if he's cut. Then if he's picked up by another team, whatever he gets in salary from that team is just extra gravy.

The Broncos are still a run first team that looks to throw out of roll-outs and play-action passes. They don't have the offensive line for Cutler to simply drop straight back and throw down the field like Manning.

That is a lot of what Javon is unhappy about. Denver is not a pass first offense like Green Bay. He's happier in an offense where he can more reasonably expect to catch 100 balls a season. (He's assuming he's going to be completely healthy and just as good as he was of course, and he's also assuming that he's going to be the #1 WR). None of those assumptions are necessarily correct.

He can't exactly come out and say "I want to be #1, not Brandon Marshall", so he says the next best thing "I don't think you should lose your job just because of injury."

Well of course, that's silly. Players lose their jobs due to injury all the time in the NFL and he knows that. He's just pouting that Marshall is now ahead of him. He thinks (like all prima-donna WRs that he's the greatest thing since sliced toast and wants to be #1). Since he knows he won't be he's sulking.

Often injured and sulking. That's why the Broncos are shopping Javon as we type and will seek to find a team to trade him to.

Unless something dramatic happens to change the situation Javon Walker will NOT be back next season. Get used to it.
        Absolutley not!!! There are plenty of instances where it happens in the NFL. The same premise applies to the NFL. Postioning is extremely important in any contract negotiation.

And why wouldn't the Broncos shop him? Who, in their right mind would not given the current circumstances. If he sticks to his statements, they will have no choice but to dump him for a draft pick or something else.

Personally, I don't care if he comes back or not. If you would like to go back and find the Numerous amounts of players that have indeed re-nogiated after they said they wouldn't, let me know. It happens every year on just about every team.

You said it will not happen, and you may be right. But you also stated it, based on current information being leaked out to the media. I'm telling you, we only hear a portion of the whole story.
        My 2011 adopted poster.........and and

Adopted by: and

Comment

Working...
        X