Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanahan wants to regain control & Slowik new boss of the defense

Denver Post Article..

Over the years, an occasional cry from Broncos fans will urge Mike Shanahan to relinquish some operational command.

Sorry, folks, but with Shanahan possibly at his head-coaching crossroads after back-to-back, nonplayoff seasons, his instinct is to attain greater control. After all, Shanahan essentially surrendered his defense over to Jim Bates for the start of the 2007 season and look what happened.

One 7-9 season, 2,282 yards rushing and 409 points later, Shanahan did not feel he could delegate complete defensive authority to Bates for a second season. They mutually parted ways Tuesday in a move expected since the bye week after Game 5 of the regular season, when Shanahan basically stripped Bates of his seven-man box concept.

"I've heard the scuttlebutt where people are disappointed in Coach Shanahan because we just had his worst record since '99," Broncos cornerback Dre Bly said. "But I know Coach Shanahan is going to get this thing straightened out and we're going to move forward. I think once we get some stability with the guys up front, you're going to see our defense get better and better."

Whenever a boss is removed, tumult usually is left behind. In this case, the Broncos hope Bates' departure will bring greater stability. The players have been told Shanahan will stay in-house and make defensive coordinator Bob Slowik the new boss of the defense.

According to an NFL source, the Broncos also reassigned linebackers coach Joe Baker and are expected to replace him with Jim Ryan, a 10-year Denver linebacker who has been an assistant coach since 2005. Ronnie Bradford, a 10-year NFL defensive back and former University of Colorado star, is expected to receive a promotion to replace Slowik as defensive backs coach.

Slowik is more accustomed to Shanahan's methods than those used by Bates, having been here as a defensive backs coach since 2005. Bates brought in a defensive system that worked wonders in Miami and Green Bay, but in Denver it had all the effectiveness of a round peg in a square hole. And it wasn't just the drastic change in defensive system. There also were the constant changes in personnel, particularly with the front four.

Where have you gone, Gerard Warren? Considered the cornerstone of the Broncos' defensive front after the 2005 season, Warren was deemed a bad fit by Bates early in training camp. Warren's replacement, Amon Gordon, was a surprise starter for three games, but didn't even dress in the fourth game at Indianapolis, where the Broncos used a perplexing front of four defensive ends.

"First, I am disappointed it didn't work out here for Coach Bates," defensive back Domonique Foxworth said. "But I think it was needed. We had so much change on the defensive line that it made it difficult for the entire defense. We just never had a system we could sink our teeth into."

After a Week 5 home thrashing by San Diego, Shanahan informed Bates an eighth man had to be added to the box and the Broncos used a more conventional defense, to mixed results, the rest of the season.

Bates had two years and roughly $2.4 million left on his contract, and Shanahan offered him a chance to stay with the organization. Instead, they worked out a settlement.

"Mike has been very fair to me, and the final decision, for the Broncos and for me, was to step aside," Bates said in a statement.

The expense of the settlement was perhaps one reason the Broncos took the cost-cutting route of promoting from within. Slowik's background, and his strong relationship with such defensive back stalwarts as Champ Bailey and John Lynch, were others.

"As a secondary, we didn't deal much with Coach Bates," Bly said. "Our meetings were always run by Coach Slo. Bates stayed with the defensive linemen and linebackers. We wish Coach Bates well, but Slo is a good coach."

Slowik had been a defensive coordinator once before, in 2004 with Green Bay. Fired after that season, Slowik was replaced by Bates.

"I had no problem with Coach Bates," Broncos defensive tackle Alvin McKinley said. "But if there's something good that came out of this, it's that they're not bringing in a new coordinator who would then have to bring in six of his own assistant coaches."

I think that Slowick will work out fine.

It bothers me to see members already calling for his head.

Damned if they do....damned if they don't.
    COPYWRITED MATERIAL Copyright © 1975 by Dr Velcro

Comment

Originally posted by Fred the Bunny View Post
      I think that Slowick will work out fine.

It bothers me to see members already calling for his head.

Damned if they do....damned if they don't.
      You are so right

Comment

I was fine with him up until the San Diego loss. What I saw out there from what use to have been one of the most feared defenses in football made me sick. We have the talent, but not the kind for the "Bates' Scheme".

I'm glad they hired from within, that way there won't be a HUGE change, but I would be willing to bet, enough of a change to make next season a great one.

Comment

Glad to see some change occurring. I'm not sure how well Slo will do, but it sure as heck can't get any worse than what it's been.

Comment

This actually makes me feel even more secure in firing Bates. It seems that most of the players gave up on his scheme pretty much during the Indy game. I just think that we need to move forward, and although I'm not keen on Slowik, I think he deserves the chance Bates got.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
              This actually makes me feel even more secure in firing Bates. It seems that most of the players gave up on his scheme pretty much during the Indy game. I just think that we need to move forward, and although I'm not keen on Slowik, I think he deserves the chance Bates got.

thats about what i thought after reading this...and as i said all year we have some classy guys, guys who wouldnt throw bates under the bus while he's here...but now he's gone and we are starting to see some of the frustration with his system surface verbally...we seen it all year on the faces of champ and the dbs

i also am not thrilled with slo...but the players seem to respect him, the choice offers stability and a chance to regroup from within..kinda like its was our problem , and were gonna fix it from within
              sigpic
              when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Interesting.

I’m eagerly awaiting the free-agent period, and the draft, to see who is brought in where.

I’m absolutely willing to give Slowik a chance. He may not be the “sexy” big name everyone wants, but what I really want to see is some consistency out of the defense. Hopefully he can provide that.

The offense should improve some next year (hopefully Nalen can come back healthy and the line play improves), which will take some pressure off of the defense.

I hate the looooooong offseason when the Broncos are out of the playoffs!!

Comment

Not to be a Bates defender, but players should never give up and quit on a system. I think it's more telling that no one on the staff could find a scheme that worked. That's more telling of the horrible personnel on D than the guy running it. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                    Not to be a Bates defender, but players should never give up and quit on a system. I think it's more telling that no one on the staff could find a scheme that worked. That's more telling of the horrible personnel on D than the guy running it. IMHO.

and the player never gave up on the system...shannahan did...but the players also knew it wasnt giving them a chance to win and in fact by attempting to run bates scheme we ourselfs created all this turmoil with the ebb and flow of DL personal
                    sigpic
                    when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

If I read this correctl, it is kind of ironic that Bates replaces Slo in GB after he was fired, and now Slo is replacing Bates after he was essentially fired here.

Welcome to the NFL.

The guys seem to be more comfortable and trusting in Slo. at least the D backs. Maybe that was a large problem, it sounded like the D backs were almost seperate from the D line and LB's when it came to game planning the overall scheme for the D.

I know each set of positions are different and bla bla, but if I could say this. the biggest problem we have had here is being consistant in all aspects of our game. Maybe this is the step in the right direction, overall. It can't get much worse!

Comment

Argument against this.......Bob Slowik had a stint as the DC for Green Bay, and they were one of the worst units in the entire NFL. Bates took over that same unit and turned them into top 10. Going by track record I don't feel comfortable at all with Slowik, but I don't think the defense can get much worse.

Argument for.....I have all the opinions I want on a coach, but I think it's important to hear how the players feel. In the final game they were talking about Dumervil and Coach Shanahan, and he said all the players have "mad respect" for him. Seeing Bly's comments, the players still have faith in him. That's good enough for me right now.

Comment

"I've heard the scuttlebutt where people are disappointed in Coach Shanahan because we just had his worst record since '99," Broncos cornerback Dre Bly said. "But I know Coach Shanahan is going to get this thing straightened out and we're going to move forward. I think once we get some stability with the guys up front, you're going to see our defense get better and better."

Bly hit the nail right on the head in that last sentence.
                          sigpic

Comment

People want to judge SLowik on his ONE stint in GB. How long ago was that??? (2003 season, fired in 2004)

Shanahan didn't do well in his first stint in Oakland. Belicheck certainly didn't have success in Cleveland. Norv Turner hasn't had success ANYWHERE before this one season in SD (I know, I know....he's still a bad coach). So judging Slowik based on ONE year in GB, YEARS ago doesn't really give the guy much of a chance. Where do you think all these coordinators come from? They don't just grow on trees, but they GROW in the NFL with experience.

I think SLowik has a very good chance of doing a good job. As Fred said.... damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

I think most here just want to gripe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                              People want to judge SLowick on his ONE stint in GB. How long ago was that???

Shanahan didn't do well in his first stint in Oakland. Belicheck certainly didn't have success in Cleveland. Norv Turner hasn't had success ANYWHERE before this one season in SD (I know, I know....he's still a bad coach). So judging Slowick based on ONE year in GB, YEARS ago doesn't really give the guy much of a chance. Where do you think all these coordinators come from? They don't just grow on trees, but they GROW in the NFL with experience.

I think SLowick has a very good chance of doing a good job. As Fred said.... damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

I think most here just want to gripe.
                              I think people are judging him for his stints in Chicago and Cleveland, as well.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X