Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slowik our Savior?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Slowik our Savior?

    From reading this article, looks like the players really like him, I have a good feeling bout him

    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...exits-broncos/

    For the second consecutive season, a playoff miss and the Broncos' defensive failings have brought change on the team's coaching staff.

    Assistant head coach/defense Jim Bates elected to leave the team rather than face a reassignment on the staff, and Bob Slowik will move into the defense's top spot. Bates, who just completed his first season in Denver, was offered a position coaching the team's linebackers but elected to move on instead.

    "I'm very thankful for the opportunity and very saddened that things did not work out," Bates said in a statement Tuesday. "I had the opportunity to stay, Mike has been very fair with me, and the final decision, for the Broncos and for me, was to step aside."

    Slowik, who already was carrying the title of defensive coordinator while acting as the team's secondary coach, will call the shots on defense. Jim Ryan, a Broncos assistant the past three seasons as well as a former Broncos linebacker and former coach at Regis Jesuit High School, will coach the team's linebackers. Former Broncos defensive back Ronnie Bradford will fill Slowik's position, coaching the defensive backs.

    It will be the fourth time Slowik has been a defensive coordinator in the NFL, having had stints in Cleveland, Chicago and Green Bay.

    "The one thing as defensive backs coach 'Slo' did was listen to his players," Broncos cornerback Dre Bly said. "Because if the players aren't comfortable with the defense or are having some problems or don't necessarily fit into some of the things you're doing on defense, you have to listen to your players.

    "And I know 'Slo' - if it was something as a defensive secondary we didn't feel comfortable doing, he'd tweak some things that allowed us to be comfortable. I really think 'Slo' will do a good job because he's definitely a guy that will coach you up."

    Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey, an eight-time Pro Bowl selection, has called Slowik "the best coach I've ever had."

    Joe Baker, who coached linebackers last season and was brought to the Broncos by Bates, has been offered a reassignment on the staff to a quality-control position - coaches who scout upcoming opponents during the season. It is not known if Baker will accept the post.

    The team might also shuffle some duties among the offensive coaches as well, given the struggle to score points last season, but at this point, the Broncos are not expected to look outside the organization.

    Bates' son, Jeremy, was the Broncos' receivers coach and helped with the team's quarterbacks last season and has been on the team's staff the past two seasons.

    Broncos coach Mike Shanahan could not be reached for comment. Bates did not return calls.

    Last week, Bates had called his lone season in Denver "the hardest year, as far as for me, personally."

    Bates had two years remaining on his contract, but a financial settlement for far less than the $2.6 million he was set to earn during the next two years was reached when he left the team.

    The Broncos' defensive struggles with Bates' 4-3 system, which kept basically to seven-man fronts and a minimum of blitzing, began early and continued throughout much of the season.

    The Broncos surrendered 200 rushing yards or more in three of their first four games and spent five weeks of the season as the 32nd-ranked run defense in the league.

    The Broncos also surrendered 409 points, tied for the fourth- highest total in franchise history, the most since the team surrendered 404 points in 1968 and only the sixth time it had surrendered more than 400 points in a season.

    By the midway point of the season, the Broncos were playing a hybrid system of Bates' scheme and other things that included adding an eighth player near the line of scrimmage and an almost total overhaul of the defensive line.

    Some players, allowing for injuries that included defensive end Jarvis Moss, privately questioned the approach throughout the year, as well as the turnover and the affect it would have on some of the team's younger players.

    Bates said last week he didn't "do as good a job as I needed to as far as getting the system taught," but the Broncos never seemed, opposing personnel executives say, to get the players they needed to on their defensive front to run Bates' scheme.

    Those same executives also ranked the Broncos as either a "fair" or "poor" tackling team.

    As a result, the Broncos surrendered 142.6 rushing yards a game last season (30th in the league), allowed 4.6 yards per carry to opposing backs (31st) and surrendered 65 rushing plays of at least 10 yards.

    With Slowik calling defenses, many in the league expect the Broncos to blitz more than they did last season.

    In his last season as a coordinator - 2004 in Green Bay - Slowik rushed at least five players on 40 percent of pass plays early in that season, and by season's end, had rushed at least five on 29 percent of pass plays overall.

    He rushed at least six on a little more than 10 percent of pass plays overall that year as well.

  • #2
    Originally posted by biggymac609 View Post
    From reading this article, looks like the players really like him, I have a good feeling bout him

    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...exits-broncos/

    For the second consecutive season, a playoff miss and the Broncos' defensive failings have brought change on the team's coaching staff.

    Assistant head coach/defense Jim Bates elected to leave the team rather than face a reassignment on the staff, and Bob Slowik will move into the defense's top spot. Bates, who just completed his first season in Denver, was offered a position coaching the team's linebackers but elected to move on instead.

    "I'm very thankful for the opportunity and very saddened that things did not work out," Bates said in a statement Tuesday. "I had the opportunity to stay, Mike has been very fair with me, and the final decision, for the Broncos and for me, was to step aside."

    Slowik, who already was carrying the title of defensive coordinator while acting as the team's secondary coach, will call the shots on defense. Jim Ryan, a Broncos assistant the past three seasons as well as a former Broncos linebacker and former coach at Regis Jesuit High School, will coach the team's linebackers. Former Broncos defensive back Ronnie Bradford will fill Slowik's position, coaching the defensive backs.

    It will be the fourth time Slowik has been a defensive coordinator in the NFL, having had stints in Cleveland, Chicago and Green Bay.

    "The one thing as defensive backs coach 'Slo' did was listen to his players," Broncos cornerback Dre Bly said. "Because if the players aren't comfortable with the defense or are having some problems or don't necessarily fit into some of the things you're doing on defense, you have to listen to your players.

    "And I know 'Slo' - if it was something as a defensive secondary we didn't feel comfortable doing, he'd tweak some things that allowed us to be comfortable. I really think 'Slo' will do a good job because he's definitely a guy that will coach you up."

    Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey, an eight-time Pro Bowl selection, has called Slowik "the best coach I've ever had."

    Joe Baker, who coached linebackers last season and was brought to the Broncos by Bates, has been offered a reassignment on the staff to a quality-control position - coaches who scout upcoming opponents during the season. It is not known if Baker will accept the post.

    The team might also shuffle some duties among the offensive coaches as well, given the struggle to score points last season, but at this point, the Broncos are not expected to look outside the organization.

    Bates' son, Jeremy, was the Broncos' receivers coach and helped with the team's quarterbacks last season and has been on the team's staff the past two seasons.

    Broncos coach Mike Shanahan could not be reached for comment. Bates did not return calls.

    Last week, Bates had called his lone season in Denver "the hardest year, as far as for me, personally."

    Bates had two years remaining on his contract, but a financial settlement for far less than the $2.6 million he was set to earn during the next two years was reached when he left the team.

    The Broncos' defensive struggles with Bates' 4-3 system, which kept basically to seven-man fronts and a minimum of blitzing, began early and continued throughout much of the season.

    The Broncos surrendered 200 rushing yards or more in three of their first four games and spent five weeks of the season as the 32nd-ranked run defense in the league.

    The Broncos also surrendered 409 points, tied for the fourth- highest total in franchise history, the most since the team surrendered 404 points in 1968 and only the sixth time it had surrendered more than 400 points in a season.

    By the midway point of the season, the Broncos were playing a hybrid system of Bates' scheme and other things that included adding an eighth player near the line of scrimmage and an almost total overhaul of the defensive line.

    Some players, allowing for injuries that included defensive end Jarvis Moss, privately questioned the approach throughout the year, as well as the turnover and the affect it would have on some of the team's younger players.

    Bates said last week he didn't "do as good a job as I needed to as far as getting the system taught," but the Broncos never seemed, opposing personnel executives say, to get the players they needed to on their defensive front to run Bates' scheme.

    Those same executives also ranked the Broncos as either a "fair" or "poor" tackling team.

    As a result, the Broncos surrendered 142.6 rushing yards a game last season (30th in the league), allowed 4.6 yards per carry to opposing backs (31st) and surrendered 65 rushing plays of at least 10 yards.

    With Slowik calling defenses, many in the league expect the Broncos to blitz more than they did last season.

    In his last season as a coordinator - 2004 in Green Bay - Slowik rushed at least five players on 40 percent of pass plays early in that season, and by season's end, had rushed at least five on 29 percent of pass plays overall.

    He rushed at least six on a little more than 10 percent of pass plays overall that year as well.
    I'm loving this guy more and more.
    I'm also glad to see that the players respect and like him. He looks very promising.

    Comment


    • #3
      This article seems to answer a lot of questions Bronco fans have had about what happened with Bates.
      I am sorry to see that Bates system didnt work here. I do hope that promoting within will help the players and getting the system.

      you live and die by the blitz. It works great against most teams, while consistant pressure works better with others.

      It will also be interesting to see what happens on the offensive side of ball.
      sigpic
      Adopted by: Peanut

      "You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
      -Sean Payton

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RaiderHater9899 View Post
        I'm loving this guy more and more.
        I'm also glad to see that the players respect and like him. He looks very promising.
        I won't take it away from him that he's a great D-backs coach. But that's a far cry from being a good D-coord. As he's nicely proven to us in the last 15 years.
        sigpic

        Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

        Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

        Comment


        • #5
          I sure hope he is our savior!! We need one.

          2/3 of the world is covered by water, the other 1/3 is covered by CHAMP BAILEY!

          Originally posted by RiversOWNSDonks
          Chargers will win a SB, before Broncos make the playoffs. I have no doubt about that!
          O no we havent made the playoffs in 2 years how long has it been since Dolts won the SB...O ya
          This might be up for awhile, Im keeping this up until the Dolts win a SB!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 24bailey24 View Post
            I sure hope he is our savior!! We need one.
            Don't count on it......
            Careful what you wish for, Darth , cause here comes the worst DC in the league...... -stnzd
            What's that? Need proof? http://dack.com/archive/bob-slowik-must-be-fired.html


            Goodbye social life...




            My Mojo!

            Comment


            • #7
              I really hope not to see the punt block formation against opposing offenses.

              Blitzing is good but so is disguising the blitz

              Comment


              • #8
                "......but the Broncos never seemed, opposing personnel executives say, to get the players they needed to on their defensive front to run Bates' scheme."


                What the hell do they know?......

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                  "......but the Broncos never seemed, opposing personnel executives say, to get the players they needed to on their defensive front to run Bates' scheme."


                  What the hell do they know?......
                  It seems like we had the personnel he wanted for his system...for three or four weeks at a time before they were cut or benched.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nice resume for a "Savior"

                    http://dack.com/archive/bob-slowik-must-be-fired.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It is sounding better all the time. There is no where to go but up in the rankings. So if the guys are comfortable with him then I hope we can expect wonderful things for next season.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Hardcore Bronco Babe View Post
                        It is sounding better all the time. There is no where to go but up in the rankings. So if the guys are comfortable with him then I hope we can expect wonderful things for next season.
                        Well we were ranked 30th in rushing yards given up, 28th in points given up, and 19th in yards given up. And that was with Slowik for more than half the season.

                        There is still plenty of room to go down.......
                        Careful what you wish for, Darth , cause here comes the worst DC in the league...... -stnzd
                        What's that? Need proof? http://dack.com/archive/bob-slowik-must-be-fired.html


                        Goodbye social life...




                        My Mojo!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Knock on wood but i don't see how we could get worse in our rush defense

                          2/3 of the world is covered by water, the other 1/3 is covered by CHAMP BAILEY!

                          Originally posted by RiversOWNSDonks
                          Chargers will win a SB, before Broncos make the playoffs. I have no doubt about that!
                          O no we havent made the playoffs in 2 years how long has it been since Dolts won the SB...O ya
                          This might be up for awhile, Im keeping this up until the Dolts win a SB!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            just a thought.....

                            but i think they're grooming Ronnie Bradford to be the next DC
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                              "......but the Broncos never seemed, opposing personnel executives say, to get the players they needed to on their defensive front to run Bates' scheme."


                              What do they know?......
                              Well, it was really not a secret as to what kind of scheme Bates used, thus I doubt it was any mystery what the mold was for players who fit said system.

                              Another thing that was clear to the "opposing personnel execs" was:

                              Those same executives also ranked the Broncos as either a "fair" or "poor" tackling team.

                              Poor fundamentals leads to poor production. Bad tackling will make any scheme look terrible.
                              Supporter of the "Don't Like the Thread, Don't Post In It" rule

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X