Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How New Broncos D-Coordinator Bob Slowik Did In Green Bay!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How New Broncos D-Coordinator Bob Slowik Did In Green Bay!

I thought all you people talking about whether Bob Slowik is the answer for the horrible defense should read this!

http://dack.com/archive/bob-slowik-must-be-fired.html

Bob Slowik Must Be Fired

Bob Slowik On January 16, 2004 Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman fired defensive coordinator Ed Donatell, making him the official scapegoat for his team's 4th-and-26 meltdown against the Philadelphia Eagles in the Packers' 20-17 loss of last year's NFC divisional playoff game.

To replace Donatell, Sherman promoted defensive backs coach Bob Slowik.

Slowik, who previously coordinated middling defenses in Chicago and Cleveland, drew up a high-pressure, high-risk, blitz-heavy scheme that was to be the identity of the 2004 Packers defense. After giving up 5 TD passes in the first half vs. Indianapolis in Week 3, his scheme was abandoned. Still, his defense gave up 5 TD passes in the first half in Week 13 against Philadelphia.

But twice giving up 5 TD passes in the first half is not why Bob Slowik must be fired. Nor is it his glaring lack of takeaways, or the insanely high opponents' passer rating. No. Bob Slowik must be fired because he schemed a defense that set many records -- in a bad way -- in the history of the Packer franchise.
    Bob Slowik All-Time Records

Bob Slowik's defense is one for the history books. In a really, really bad way.
    Record Slowik
    Record Broken
    Record
    Fewest Opponent Turnovers, Season 15 16 (1995)
    Fewest Passes Intercepted By, Season 8 13 (1980, 1995, 1998)
    Fewest Forced Fumbles, Season 11 12 (1995)
    Most First Downs Allowed, Passing, Season 228 188 (1995)
    Most Yards Allowed, Net Passing, Season 3,943 3,762 (1983)
    Most Yards Allowed, Passing, Game 464 448 (2004)
    Most TD Allowed Passing, Season 33 31 (1986)
    Highest Opponents' Passer Rating, Season 99.1 86.1 (1958)

Close-But-No-Cigar Bob Slowik All-Time Records

Thanks to Rich Wingo, Ezra Johnson, Estes Hood, and Ken Stills, Slowik finished second all-time in these categories:
    Record Slowik
    Record All-Time
    Record
    Most First Downs Allowed, Season 354 366 (1983)
    Most First Downs Allowed, Penalty, Season 28 29 (2002)
    Highest Completion Percentage Allowed, Season 60.6 63.45 (1989)

Likely Bob Slowik All-Time Records

Here are a few other likely records that I could not verify. Please send me an email if you have source info.

* Fewest fumbles recovered, season
    7. 2nd-lowest in NFL.
    * Opponents' 3rd down conversion percentage, season
    47.3. 2nd-worst in NFL.
    * Opponents' passing yards/attempt, season
    7.61. 4th-worst in NFL.
    * Opponents' passing yards/completion, season
    12.6. 3rd-worst in NFL.
    * Most passing TDs allowed, first half
    5. But you knew that.
    * Most passing TDs, first half
    5. Indianapolis franchise record.
    * Most passing TDs, first half
    5. Philadelphia franchise record.
    * Most completions, start a game
    14. Philadelphia franchise record. Confirmed.
    * Most passing yards, game
    464. Philadelphia franchise record. Confirmed.
    Needless to say, the Packers DID fire Slowik, who then came to the Broncos as a DB coach and reputedly did a good job.

But, Holy SHADES OF BATES Batman! Slowik - like Bates with the Broncos - was promoted from his previous DB coaching position because the previous DC (Donatell with the Packers & Bates here) coached a failed defense that was near the bottom of the league.

Slowik, like Bates had previous experience as a DC with other teams. Slowik, like Bates put in a new system. Slowik, like Bates saw that system fail horribly - Slowik giving up 5 TDs in the first half of games TWICE in a season, Bates seeing teams run all over the Broncos.

Slowik, like Bates saw the head coach scrap the system part-way through the season. Slowik, like Bates, was then fired after the season (in Bates's case he was offered a demotion to LB coach, which he declined).

So, bottom line, we better hope Slowik learned something from his mistakes, or it's going to be a LOOOOONG season Broncos fans!

A blitz happy scheme is particularly BAD in the AFC because QBs like Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger and Peyton Manning LOVE the blitz. They eat it alive.

If you get to the playoffs with a blitz-heavy defensive scheme and try that against the Patriots or Colts they will just kill you - just as happened to the Broncos against the Steelers in the AFC Championship game in 2005.

If on the other hand, knowing that Brady LOVES the blitz and has big games against teams that try to blitz him, you abandon it when you play the Pats, then you're abandoning your base defensive scheme that you've worked on all year.

The Broncos need a scheme similar to the one Bates tried to introduce, which relied upon the front 4 DL to generate most of the pass-rush and kept 7 men back to cover the WRs and TEs & RB coming out of the backfield.

That is especially important against the Colts or Patriots. Against those teams you can't hope to win if you leave their WRs & TEs in single-coverage all over the field while trying to blitz.

Manning particularly loves the blitz, he always checks down to the open receiver and usually gets big yards when teams try to blitz him.

He's been so successful at it that teams have mostly abandoned trying to blitz him and try to get good pressure just with their front 4 while dropping the LBs into coverage.

The Steelers did that successfully in 2005 by disguising coverages and bringing heat with an extra LB from their 3-4 defens, and the Patriots did it successfully in 2004 and 2003, but in 2006 Manning beat it and the Colts beat the Pats and went on the win the SB.

This season, the AFC Championship game will be determined by whether the Colts defense can better contain Brady than the Pats defense can contain Manning.

Neither defense can rely on blitzing though or the opposing offense will score a LOT of points.

I hope that the Broncos get some dominating DTs and don't rely on blitzing everybody because that's just doomed in the playoffs in the AFC!
    Last edited by Cugel; 01-09-2008, 05:55 PM.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
    I thought all you people talking about whether Bob Slowik is the answer for the horrible defense should read this!

http://dack.com/archive/bob-slowik-must-be-fired.html

Needless to say, the Packers DID fire Slowik, who then came to the Broncos as a DB coach and reputedly did a good job.

But, SHADES OF BATES! Slowik - like Bates with the Broncos - was promoted from his previous DB coaching position because the previous DC (Donatell with the Packers & Bates here) coached a failed defense that was near the bottom of the league.

Slowik, like Bates had previous experience as a DC with other teams. Slowik, like Bates put in a new system. Slowik, like Bates saw that system fail horribly - Slowik giving up 5 TDs in the first half of games TWICE in a season, Bates seeing teams run all over the Broncos.

Slowik, like Bates saw the head coach scrap the system part-way through the season. Slowik, like Bates, was then fired after the season (in Bates's case he was offered a demotion to LB coach, which he declined).

So, bottom line, we better hope Slowik learned something from his mistakes, or it's going to be a LOOOOONG season Broncos fans!
    I'd CP you for this but I'm all out.......great post as usual Cugel. You're usually the only voice of reason on these here boards.
    Careful what you wish for, Darth , cause here comes the worst DC in the league...... -stnzd
    What's that? Need proof? http://dack.com/archive/bob-slowik-must-be-fired.html

Goodbye social life...

My Mojo!

Comment

third time's a charm

B-Marsh owning Al Harris(Aka: the supposed most physical corner in the league)

Mock Draft:

**If Ellis/Dorsey fall**

1) Dorsey or Ellis(whoever falls)
      2) Devin Thomas
      4) Frank Okam
      4) Beau Bell

**If Ellis/Dorsey dont fall**

1) Desean Jackson
      2) Pat Sims or Trevor Laws(whoever falls)
      4) Frank Okam
      4) Beau Bell

Comment

Originally posted by broncs2bowl View Post
        third time's a charm
        Yes, that's what I'm hoping too.

What I'm really hoping is what's in your sig, that Shanahan drafts a stud DT, and acquires one via FA, and that Slowik, having learned from his previous failure in Green Bay does NOT try to install a blitz-happy defense like the one that sucked in Green Bay, or the one that Roethlisberger destroyed in the Steelers AFC Championship game!
        sigpic

Comment

I pray that I'm wrong about Slowik, but his record speaks for itself.

Slowik has been an utter failure as a DC, and looking back at last years defense, the stats look a hell of a lot more like a Slowik defense than anything Bates ever put out there......

Comment

It appears that I may be going through several beers per game this next season...

Hopefully he has some form of an epiphany during this offseason!

Comment

heh..... well....... its interesting. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Like I tried to say earlier... this doesn't excite me at all, but I don't have any other choice but to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                heh..... well....... its interesting. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Like I tried to say earlier... this doesn't excite me at all, but I don't have any other choice but to wait and see.
                We never have any choice Rav except to ignore the Broncos the way I ignored the Rockies for 10 years.

But, I'm not more than cautiously optimistic at this point. I hope Slowik doesn't do anything too weird and screw things up, and I hope Shanahan picks up some DTs via FA and the draft, since the ones they have are no good (Marcus Thomas excepted).

My conclusion is that Shanahan may well want to de-emphasize his defense, and become more of an offensive team. If he goes back to a blitzing style defense, that would prove it. Such defensive schemes are really designed to cover up weaknesses, such as the inability to get pressure on the passer consistently with only 4 DL. To get that pressure with 4 requires that you have elite DL and to get those you have to draft them with high draft picks! You're unlikely to be able to sign them as FAs, as the Broncos have proven the last 3 years. They signed virtually every big-name has-been DL out there in the hopes that one of them would turn his career around:

1. Courtney Brown
                2. Kenard Lang
                3. Gerrard Warren
                4. Sam Adams
                5. Simeon Rice
                6. Ebeneezer Ekuban

At one time all of those players were high #1 draft picks who were thought of as great prospects, and some of them (Rice, Adams) even became pro-bowlers for a while. But, all were completely over the hill or confirmed career underachievers by the time they came to Denver.

What they all had in common was that Shanahan didn't want to have to use his high #1 and #2 draft picks on DTs. He had other priorities and tried to get by using short-cuts via FA.

It was a disastrous program and in 2007 it really caught up with the Broncos. All their FA acquisitions were duds (Sam Adams, Jimmy Kennedy, Amon Gordon), and the defense collapsed.

To expect Slowik to fix all that is highly improbable, unless he's given much better players at DT (and maybe a new S and SLB).
                sigpic

Comment

man if we could switch to a 3-4 we could beat indy, pats and SD....but well never do it!! dont matter what coach we got....we need to worry more about our offense and our lines than anythin else...

Comment

Maybe we should give him a chance........just a thought of course!

Comment

Well he's got Ian Gold, Dre Bly, and uh, somebody at safety starting for him! Things are going to be fine.

:doh::doh::doh::doh:
                      sigpic

TZ

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
                        Maybe we should give him a chance........just a thought of course!

I'll give him a chance, of course......Even if his defense sucks, the first thing I'll question is the complete lack of talent on the defensive line.

But if by "......give him a chance" you mean ignore the fact that he's been a failure each time he's been a DC, what good would that do?

I'll be as fair with Slowik as I've been to Bates/Coyer, who lost their job due to lack of talent, imo......

Comment

we're not bob slowik's old teams. just like we weren't miami or green bay when jim bates came to town.

things that look like they'll succeed on paper, as we know now, don't always work out in practice. but it's a double edged sword, and stranger things have happened.
                          Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                          Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoballa2684 View Post
                            man if we could switch to a 3-4 we could beat indy, pats and SD....but well never do it!! dont matter what coach we got....we need to worry more about our offense and our lines than anythin else...
                            This comes up every off-season!

The Broncos are NEVER going to go to a 3-4 defense! NEVER!

They don't have the players for it, and Shanahan doesn't like it. First of all they'd need a massive NT like Casey Hampton, Jamal Williams, Vince Wilfork.

They aren't likely to get that kind of player.

Second, their LBs aren't suited for a 3-4 either. Basically, they'd have to scrap the entire defensive front 7 to have that system and Shanahan will never do it.

As in NOT Ever!
                            sigpic

Comment

So I understand he did pretty well in Chicago as a DC..... how did he do there?

Comment

Working...
                              X