Slowik the final decision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowik the final decision?

Please some, will we be actively searching and putting up big money to lure a big name DC here for next season, or is Slowik the final decision in everyone's opinion? I am really unsettled seeing someone in our system taking over.

I cannot remember what lengths we went to to get the last few DCs...did they fall into our laps, or did we fight to get them? Just trying to understand what to expect this off season.

Comment

From what I remember Bates was on a lot of teams radars last offseason....
      Careful what you wish for, Darth , cause here comes the worst DC in the league...... -stnzd
      What's that? Need proof? http://dack.com/archive/bob-slowik-must-be-fired.html

Goodbye social life...

My Mojo!

Comment

Originally posted by Hardbodyaz View Post
        Please some, will we be actively searching and putting up big money to lure a big name DC here for next season, or is Slowik the final decision in everyone's opinion? I am really unsettled seeing someone in our system taking over.

It appears "The Mastermind" has made his mind up and is going to go with Slowik....

I tired right now, so im not even going to get into what I think about this man or his choice...

Comment

i know he's got an unsavory past to some people but c'mon, at least we gave bates one year of actual failure on this team before out gave him the boot

let's give him a shot. and it may end up like the bates situation even if it does go sour in the first year-we judge through everything but the numbers. cause while bates looks, stats/precedent wise like he could've eventually succeeded, i think we decided the wait would take too long for something that wasn't even a guarantee. maybe we'll decide slowik's got the right idea even if he does bad next season, and we'll invest in building around his concepts and schemes. i'm tired as hell so this is hard to put into words, but maybe even if our defense ends up 27th again we'll see something in slowik worth investing in, where we didn't see it in bates.
          Last edited by NinjaPirateFunk; 01-10-2008, 01:20 AM.
          Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
          Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

.....why don't you guys understand.....this has been Slowiks defense since game 5....he's had his chance and made the defense look worse than when Bates was calling the plays and trying to run his scheme..
            Careful what you wish for, Darth , cause here comes the worst DC in the league...... -stnzd
            What's that? Need proof? http://dack.com/archive/bob-slowik-must-be-fired.html

Goodbye social life...

My Mojo!

Comment

Originally posted by delirium_05 View Post
              .....why don't you guys understand.....this has been Slowiks defense since game 5....he's had his chance and made the defense look worse than when Bates was calling the plays and trying to run his scheme..
              I understand your point but if Slowik took over after week 5 that means he patched something up to fix the problems we already had. I wouldn't judge him on 11 weeks of un-preped work. It's not fair. He deserves an offseason full of workouts, training camps and preseason to implement his ideas.

I don't know much about Slowik, but the players seem to back this decision and I like that. We shall see.

Comment

I think promoting Slowik is the right move.

A few weeks before being cut, Ferguson said "As a player, he has exactly what you want in a coach."

Bailey told reporters "Slowik is the best coach I've ever had."

It sounds like everyone on the defense loves him, Foxworth said he was hoping Slowik would have gotten the promotion last year, this guy is gonna be great. Our strength is at DB, he is the DB coach. Coincidence? Expect a ton of interceptions this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Geandily View Post
                  I think promoting Slowik is the right move.

A few weeks before being cut, Ferguson said "As a player, he has exactly what you want in a coach."

Bailey told reporters "Slowik is the best coach I've ever had."

It sounds like everyone on the defense loves him, Foxworth said he was hoping Slowik would have gotten the promotion last year, this guy is gonna be great. Our strength is at DB, he is the DB coach. Coincidence? Expect a ton of interceptions this year!
                  Ferguson wasn't cut. He was put on injured reserve.

I don't care what Ferguson, Bailey, or Foxworth have said about him. You don't let the employees choose the boss. They'll pick the wrong one almost every time. Every employee wants a boss they like so that's who they'll choose whether it's the right choice or not. Just because Champ says Slowik is the best coach he's ever had, it doesn't mean that Slowik is the best defensive coordinator for the job.

I'm all for giving Slowik a chance. I'm not going to assume he will fail just because he hasn't been very good anywhere else he's been a defensive coordinator. http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7926070 This article will show you that the Browns and Packers defense just weren't good at all, while the Bears defense was decent for the most part for yards allowed but mostly not good for points allowed.

I hope the Broncos get some good players on defense and that Slowik succeeds in putting those players in the right position to be successful. At the same time, if he fails, not only should he be fired, but Shanahan should be fired too.
                  My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                  You Mad Bro?
                  Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Did you guys know that Bob Slowik is 53 years old? He doesn't look like it

Comment

You guys make Bates out to be a complete bust. Look at what he has done with the teams he has coached in the past. If we would have given him more time we would have been one of the better defenses in the league, yet I am not here to praise Bates, but rather to bury him...sorry Caesar flashbacks. No seriously, the guy should not be torn to pieces just because he didnt work out here, he is a great Defensive cordinator, it just doesnt always work out like an objective system. I agree with the decision to cut him lose, but don't be thinking bates wont go somewhere else and bring their Defense in the top 10 within next 3 years.
                      New England Patriots GM

Comment

Many people are ragging on the Slovik 'promotion' because his defenses were mediocre at Chicago, Cleveland, and Green Bay. However, if you look at the rankings of his defenses for most of his years (middle of the pack, usually), wouldn't you all have taken a defense that was at least that good this year?

Plus, do you want another offseason of scheme changing, different players needed, etc?

Get a few more horses in the middle of the DL, and I'll bet the the defense will improve.

Comment

you don't let the employees choose the boss, but it makes a world of difference if the players believe in him

i think we underestimate the effect it might've had on our D with players that didn't believe in bates. well, i don't think they did, that's just an assumption but it wouldn't shock me. no one seemed to get the scheme early, no one seemed to get it later, no one voices any opinions about liking it and no one voiced any opinions about really being disappointed he's gone. silence speaks volumes in scenarios such as this. someone would've said something.

i think this is a good move. how good, we're yet to see but i think it's good.
                          Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                          Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

The selection of Bob Slowick was the obvious, and only, choice for Shanahan.

There was no 'search', no other candidates.

Slowick was the other finalist for the job when Shanahan hired Larry Coyer. A year later, when Slowick became available, Shanahan hired him in a NY minute to coach the secondary.

Shanahan really wanted to hire Slowick last offseason, but Jim Bates was the big name that was available, and after the absolute collapse of the Broncos defense last season, Shanahan probably figured he could not just turn it over to Bob Slowick then....but then, Bates (after consistent success EVERYWHERE else) failed miserably here, and the Defense was in effect turned over to Slowick during the bye week, so it was a more natural move this time around.

All I know is this, Shanahan has tried everything else and failed, so he had better hope the fifth time is the charm to find a decent Defensive Coordinator
                            he can function with.

Denver: Where NFL Defensive Coordinators go to die.

Comment

Originally posted by jonny1 View Post
                              Many people are ragging on the Slovik 'promotion' because his defenses were mediocre at Chicago, Cleveland, and Green Bay. However, if you look at the rankings of his defenses for most of his years (middle of the pack, usually), wouldn't you all have taken a defense that was at least that good this year?

Plus, do you want another offseason of scheme changing, different players needed, etc?

Get a few more horses in the middle of the DL, and I'll bet the the defense will improve.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? MIDDLE OF THE PACK IS OK FOR YOU???? When has Denver EVER been ok with middle of the pack?? Slowik is going to make us "middle of the pack?" Fire him now if thats the best he can do! 5 games in and I am sure his opinions were taken into account for the rest of the 11 games and wow...where did we end up?? MIDDLE OF THE PACK!! Sheesh can we PLEASE just hire someone outside the organization.

Comment

Working...
                              X