Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
    Again, nothing Earth-shattering.

I think it's fair to say that Travis Henry is likely gone, based on his comments.

Javon? Boy, did he seem irked when he made his comment. I think that guy just buried himself.
    Agreed it really was not anything unsuspected, as you said Mojo...but I do think with how he commented on both those situations and Smith, that Henry is gone, Javon is likely to follow and Smith is probably done but will be given a staff position.

Comment

there was one thing

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
      Here's how Mike will address both issues:

Question: So Mike, did you hear that Al Wilson has been cleared to play?

Answer: No I didn't hear that.

Question: Any chance of bringing him back?

Answer: We're always looking to improve our football team, and if we feel comfortable that Al can do that, we'll definitely look into it.

Question: So what happened with Jim Bates?

Answer: I have the utmost respect for Jim and his effort this season. But I don't feel it was the right fit, and we're prepared to move forward with Bob Slowik as our coach.

Question: Do you think it's scapegoating Bates somewhat to fire him after one season?

Answer: I don't believe it's scapegoating. We're just trying to bring in the right players and right coaches to make us better, and I don't feel Bates was the right fit for our team and the direction we want to go in.

Again, I don't see anything Earth-shattering coming out of this today.
      Shanny said that he thought the FA market had turned into a situation where teams are overpaying for players that their previous team doesn't even want, and that it is better to build your team through the draft... He also said that they were going to have to take a closer look at the travis henry situation and how much money he is set to make before they decide to keep him or not.
      09-17-08: OFFICIALLY BACKING JARVIS MOSS TO TURN INTO ONE HELL OF A DEFENSIVE END WITHIN THE NEXT TWO YEARS.-we are all allowed one mistake, right?

Loved McD 's first full FA. Can't wait to see the draft.

2010 Draft WISHlist:

Any center since we don't have one.

Comment

I think Travis Horny is as good as gone.

I think Javon Walker might yet end up staying.

I STILL think it was a mistake to fire Bates, and to keep Slowick.

I CAN'T BELIEVE Heimerdinger's nepotism is going to keep him in that job another year. 19 ppg isn't going to cut it, Mikes.

Sad about Rod. He'd make a tremendous Offensive Assistant, and could certainly work well with young WR's like Marshall and Martinez.
        In Manning I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post

I CAN'T BELIEVE Heimerdinger's nepotism is going to keep him in that job another year. 19 ppg isn't going to cut it, Mikes.

Sad about Rod. He'd make a tremendous Offensive Assistant, and could certainly work well with young WR's like Marshall and Martinez.
          Martinez? Ew, I seriously don't see him being here long.

Comment

Really? You took that 'I'll talk to Javon before March 1st' (when his roster bonus is due) as a positive sign that he's staying? Then further going on that Javon will need microfracture surgery in a 2-3 year span?

I don't know if I'm the sole opinion on this...but there was nothing stated regarding Javon that I took as a positive.
            sigpic

Comment

I think Henry is gone, he said Young can not carry the load in an around about way...means that they will be looking for a halfback...Hmmmhmmm...lol.

Javon I think could stay if he is willing to restructure and help the team fiscally get better, maybe if Shanahan sits down with him and tells him, if you can hold off surgery, think you can return and compete and willing to prove yourself we would love to have you on the team. Maybe, just maybe Javon will listen and that will help the whole situation.

Slowik is a 'Bend Don't Break' defensive coach, he will bring more blitzing which is a big plus for Dumervil, Moss, Lynch and company. Though I think Bates should have had at least one more year, I think Slowik was the right man for the job. And as for Heimerdinger, he is the reason Cutler is one of the best young quarterbacks...he is personally coaching the kid, he implimented more shotguns which has been very successful for us. Heimerdinger belongs in Denver...IMHO of course!

I agree, Rod should be made an offensive assistant and when a Bates is done being the receiver coach it should go to Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
                Agreed it really was not anything unsuspected, as you said Mojo...but I do think with how he commented on both those situations and Smith, that Henry is gone, Javon is likely to follow and Smith is probably done but will be given a staff position.
                Looking at the possibility that Henry will be gone and that Young and Hall won't be able to carry a full load, also the fact he is frustrated with over paid free agents............you're wish to get Mendenhall might just happen unless MS sees someone HE thinks is better!

Comment

Originally posted by BF View Post
                  Looking at the possibility that Henry will be gone and that Young and Hall won't be able to carry a full load, also the fact he is frustrated with over paid free agents............you're wish to get Mendenhall might just happen unless MS sees someone HE thinks is better!
                  Hehehe...not that I am for sure, but it is a very positive sign that he realizes that he paid for a veteran who rookies such as Lynch and Peterson made look like a second team back and not a franchise back as he hoped.

Comment

Despite the fact that I was hoping to hear Mike tear up Javon's comments, I'm glad that he is taking the "wait a month+" route instead.

Can someone explain something to me? Joe Boweck is replacing Jim Ryan and vise versa? Is one a demotion or what?

To me, Shanahan appears to understand what needs to be done and he appears to expect more out of his coaches and players next season.

I rather enjoyed this press conference!

Comment

Working...
                    X