"Shanahan takes responsibility for disappointing 7-9 season"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Shanahan takes responsibility for disappointing 7-9 season"

Nothing new, really--but here's Shannahan's press conference in the national media's eyes via an associated press article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3190994

Originally posted by Associated Press, taken from ESPN.com View Post
    ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Mike Shanahan took responsibility for the Denver Broncos' 7-9 season -- as coach, but not as personnel man.

Shanahan suggested that Denver had the talent to win at least 10 games before injuries on offense, an inability to digest a new defensive scheme and inconsistent special teams play sent the team to its first losing season since 1999.

Shanahan parted ways this week with defensive boss Jim Bates, who refused a demotion to linebackers coach and resigned after one forgettable season and was replaced by secondary coach Bob Slowik.

Now, the coach is looking at where he can tweak the roster, facing, among other big decisions, what to do about Travis Henry and Javon Walker, who carry big price tags coming off injury-riddled seasons.

The Broncos had designs on a Super Bowl after retooling the roster and shuffling the coaching staff last offseason. But they allowed their most points in 40 years, lost stalwarts Rod Smith, Tom Nalen and Ben Hamilton on offense and had little to brag about on special teams other than kicker Jason Elam, their all-time leading scorer and soon-to-be free agent.

Hamilton (concussion) and Nalen (biceps) say they'll return, but Smith just underwent another hip surgery that likely will spell the end of his spectacular career.

Pressed if it was the scheme or the players that doomed Denver's defense under Bates, Shanahan said: "Well, I'm just going back to me. I'm in charge of this thing and I just think if I would have done a decent job coaching, we would have won 10 games or more. And so it goes back to me."

As coach.

What about as personnel man? Doesn't he share blame for the season's failed expectations? After all, linebacker D.J. Williams is the only one of the 28 players selected in the drafts of 2002-04 still on the team, and he's arguably playing out of position in the middle.

"True, those drafts didn't bear much fruit," Shanahan said, "but I think you have to average it out through the years. The bottom line, you look at wins and losses. And that's how you judge everybody."

Shanahan is 138-83 in 13 seasons in Denver.

"I could throw stats at you," he said. "You want to talk about wins and you want to talk about those type of things? The bottom line is we were 7-9. How do we correct it?"

In addressing the media for the first time since the season ended, Shanahan praised team owner Pat Bowlen for understanding the big picture but took exception when asked if he felt fortunate he wasn't working for another team where he'd be feeling more heat after missing the playoffs in two straight seasons.

"Well, nobody could put more heat on me than me," Shanahan retorted. "What kind of heat am I feeling? It's not financial. It's winning. Hey, that's how you last in the game. And when you don't win it's pretty tough with the time we put in it. But when you say we don't feel heat, that's easy for you to say."

Although hailed as a top-notch position coach -- Bailey calls him the best he's had -- Slowik's track record as coordinator is spotty. His teams have finished 22nd or worse in points allowed in five of his eight seasons in charge of the defense in Chicago (1993-98), Cleveland (1999) and Green Bay (2004), and those teams reached the playoffs only twice.

What makes Shanahan think it will be different in Denver?

"No. 1, he understands offenses very good. He's very flexible with his scheme and depending on what a team's doing he has the ability to attack that offense," Shanahan said. "He's been with me for a number of years and he knows how I like to operate."

In discussing the four other defensive coordinators who have worked for him in Denver, Shanahan threw out that Larry Coyer's firing last year "had nothing to do with football" although he declined to specify the reasons and added that Ray Rhodes departure in 2003 was based strictly on health issues.

The Broncos ditched the hallmarks of Bates' system after allowing nearly 200 yards rushing per game through the first month of the season. They replaced beefy interior linemen with smaller, quicker tackles and moved safety John Lynch into the box as an eighth defender.

Lynch is mulling retirement, and Shanahan said he expects a decision within a month.

the part where he says the bottom line is wins and losses, that's why he's a good head coach among other reasons
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
      the part where he says the bottom line is wins and losses, that's why he's a good head coach among other reasons
      So it makes him a good coach to realize that in the NFL, it's all about wins and losses?

I'm almost certain any head coach with an ounce of intelligence would realize, agree with, and generate such a statement.
      sigpic

Comment

I like where he talks about Slowik saying, "We've been together for many years, he know how I operate"

In other words, he's Shanny's b**ch.
        Careful what you wish for, Darth , cause here comes the worst DC in the league...... -stnzd
        What's that? Need proof? http://dack.com/archive/bob-slowik-must-be-fired.html

Goodbye social life...

My Mojo!

Comment

you're really hung up on this "rivers is a winner" thing aren't you? nice attempt at the subtle little slip there davey.

this is a public service announcement. one of those overly humble stand-up things to do as a leader. he can say stats don't matter and wins and losses do but he's one of the winningest coaches in football in his tenure. he has his second losing season ever here and we freak out like he's the antichrist, acting like we're the team with the absolute worst coach in the game today. we're spoiled babies sometimes. some teams pull a new coach out of the bag yearly and fail at just as fast a rate. but no, because our oline became crippled early in the season, leaving shanny with no options other than quick slants and fruitless running attempts, shanahan is satan and he's dooming us to failure and blah blah blah. there's nothing he could've done. an oline problem like ours will kill an offense and usually a team. he did well considering i thought. this guy's given us two super bowls, divisional titles, top notch offenses, great trades, etc. and winning season after winning season-and we don't even want to give him a shot to fix something that had to happen eventually? c'mon. we're just making ourselves look bad.
          Last edited by NinjaPirateFunk; 01-10-2008, 07:30 PM.
          Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
          Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

There's a few things I take from the article...

1) Shanahan refuses to confront his shortcomings as the de facto GM, so he puts the blame on the season on his coaching because he knows where he stands as a head coach in this league, and he can afford to throw Shanahan the Head Coach under the bus instead of Shanahan the GM, because he knows the latter job is less secure and less successful. Having said that, it's good to see him take some form of responsibility with this team, even if it's for the wrong reasons.

2) I'm willing to give Bob Slowik a fair shake. However, the more I read about him, the more I'm convinced that it's going to be the same, 8-men-in-the-box, blitz-happy defense that wasn't good enough with Robinson or Coyer, and is an attempt to cover up the fact that Shanahan doesn't want to invest the time or money into a quality defensive line. Let's hope to God the offense can manage 30 points a game next season, otherwise it's going to be a long one.

3) Despite what his strongest proponents say, the truth his, if this were any other team right now, Shanahan would be under more pressure than he appears to be with Pat Bowlen. It's great Pat Bowlen sees the big picture. But what about Shanahan? Going through four defensive coordinators in 6 seasons isn't really creating an air of stability in the locker room.

I knew this was going to be the same ol', run-of-the-mill, 'we're a player or two away from where we ultimately want to be' press conference that have become the norm over the past 9 seasons. Sure enough, it didn't fail. I just hope for our sake, we get the right players and mix of coaches together next year to at least make a post-season appearance. These past two seasons have been a real drag, to say the least.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by delirium_05 View Post
              I like where he talks about Slowik saying, "We've been together for many years, he know how I operate"

In other words, he's Shanny's b**ch.

Exactly......

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaPirateFunk View Post
                you're really hung up on this "rivers is a winner" thing aren't you? nice attempt at the subtle little slip there davey.

this is a public service announcement. one of those overly humble stand-up things to do as a leader. he can say stats don't matter and wins and losses do but he's one of the winningest coaches in football in his tenure. he has his second losing season ever here and we freak out like he's the antichrist, acting like we're the team with the absolute worst coach in the game today. we're spoiled babies sometimes. some teams pull a new coach out of the bag yearly and fail at just as fast a rate. but no, because our oline became crippled early in the season, leaving shanny with no options other than quick slants and fruitless running attempts, shanahan is satan and he's dooming us to failure and blah blah blah. there's nothing he could've done. an oline problem like ours will kill an offense and usually a team. he did well considering i thought. this guy's given us two super bowls, divisional titles, top notch offenses, great trades, etc. and winning season after winning season-and we don't even want to give him a shot to fix something that had to happen eventually? c'mon. we're just making ourselves look bad.
                yeup...good post!

Comment

Note he says Dj is playing out of position, i guess this mean,if we were to sign Al Dj is going back to weakside.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaPirateFunk View Post
                    you're really hung up on this "rivers is a winner" thing aren't you?
                    no i just think shanny's a good HC and he's not making any excuses
                    he's telling it like it is

your vag is just way too sensitive lately nin
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MarvinWillis View Post
                      Note he says Dj is playing out of position, i guess this mean,if we were to sign Al Dj is going back to weakside.
                      DJ did as well as he could learning a new position but if we could get Al back in the middle it would be great.

Comment

no i just think shanny's a good HC and he's not making any excuses
                        he's telling it like it is

your vag is just way too sensitive lately nin
                        did you call me nin? i think the vag has been wrongly appointed
                        Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                        Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

The reporter suggests that DJ might be out of position, Shanahan did not say that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                            The reporter suggests that DJ might be out of position, Shanahan did not say that.
                            ooo thanks, I dont want getting swapped for the 3rd time

Comment

That was the QUESTION, not Shanahan's response! That was the reporter arguing that "D.J. is out of position." That's just the same idiocy that people comment on these boards all the time.

D.J. is NOT out of position. He's a natural MLB. He's not going back to WILL.

Notice that Shanahan didn't answer that part about D.J., he just addressed the criticism of his drafting between 2001-04.

His defense of his drafting is pretty weak though,
                              "True, those drafts didn't bear much fruit," Shanahan said, "but I think you have to average it out through the years. The bottom line, you look at wins and losses. And that's how you judge everybody."
                              Translation: "I've won a lot of games so up yours!"

But, the draft doesn't yield immediate results, since it takes players a couple of years to really mature. Those draft picks should be the core of the Broncos in 2007, but they're just gone!

Thus, one would expect that his success in the years 2000-2004 would be a reflection of his drafting in the late 90's - 2001. The team now is a reflection of the success (or in this case lack of it) of the drafts between 2001-04 (i.e. 5th and 6th year players should be the veteran core of his team).

His other excuse is that you have to "average it out through the years." That's a better excuse, except that we don't really know how good a lot of the players he's drafted recently are. They look good right now, but so did Brian Griese for a while. . . .

I'm convinced that the 2006 & 2007 drafts were great, a the 2005 draft wasn't bad, but the verdict is still out on players like Tony Sheffler, Chris Myers, Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder and Marcus Thomas. Will they be pro-bowlers? Solid starters? Mediocre role players? Eventual busts?

That remains to be seen.

Overall, Shanahan's comment is a cover-up. I'd feel better if he admitted he totally screwed up and said that he hoped he'd done better in the more recent drafts. Instead his Bush-like instinct seems to be to cover up everything and never admit he's made a mistake!
                              Last edited by Cugel; 01-10-2008, 11:26 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X