Marcus Thomas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marcus Thomas?

We all know the D-line needs to be addressed this offseason, but I haven't heard anything from you guys about Marcus Thomas. He is a DT right? How big a role do you think he will have next season? He didn't play much this season, but don't you think that this kinda counts as a draft pick/ FA signing? Kinda like when you lose a player in the 1st half of the season, and they come back, its like trading or signing for that player. I just want to hear from you guys if Thomas is gonna start or should compete or just what his status is. Thanks.
    Nobody reads sigs, hell nobody even reads my posts

Originally posted by Bouncer1531 View Post
    We all know the D-line needs to be addressed this offseason, but I haven't heard anything from you guys about Marcus Thomas. He is a DT right? How big a role do you think he will have next season? He didn't play much this season, but don't you think that this kinda counts as a draft pick/ FA signing? Kinda like when you lose a player in the 1st half of the season, and they come back, its like trading or signing for that player. I just want to hear from you guys if Thomas is gonna start or should compete or just what his status is. Thanks.
    I think he'll have a bigger role next year.

This was his first year back to actually playing.. full action football.

He had ups and downs... made plays here and there... typical for a rookie DT.

I don't know if he'll start next year.. he might.

He's an athletic freak who excels more in pass rushing then run stopping.

I'm glad he kept his head into football the first year in Denver. If he keeps it up, he could be a legit draft "steal".

Comment

He started after we got rid of Big Sam. I think he did great this year for a rookie. He should come out strong next year.
      sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

he will most likely start

DTs often have a huge jump between the first and second years of play

He should also be in better shape next year.

However, as pointed out he is more of a pass rush and really needs a bigger DT next to him to succeed. A good comparison is Corey Williams from GB.

Comment

Originally posted by WCOfan View Post

However, as pointed out he is more of a pass rush and really needs a bigger DT next to him to succeed. A good comparison is Corey Williams from GB.
          So im guessing that a drafting/signing another DT is a must? What about jarvis? Not as a DT but in general coming back from injury. We definitely are'nt worse with these two guys back 100%, but how much better are we?
          Nobody reads sigs, hell nobody even reads my posts

Comment

Originally posted by WCOfan View Post
            he will most likely start

DTs often have a huge jump between the first and second years of play

He should also be in better shape next year.

That is a really good comparison. What Denver desperately needs is a huge space-eating, run-stuffing NT whose strong as an ox and can't be moved. A guy who can command double-teams and collapse the pocket and prevent the QB from stepping up, freeing Thomas and the DEs to rush the passer and get sacks.

In short a player like the Chargers Jamal Williams, the Patriots Vince Wilfork, or the Steelers Casey Hampton.

The odds of them finding such a player are not particularly good. Perhaps they can find one in the first round of the draft.

Otherwise they will have to settle for a guy who has no pass-rush abilities, but who can play the run well and hold his lanes.

They might be able to find such a player in the 2nd or 3rd round (if they had a 3rd round pick this year).

Thomas had a pretty good year considering he missed virtually his entire senior year due to suspension. He's basically going from being a college junior to playing in the NFL against 8 and 10 year veterans. That's quite a leap and naturally he struggled at times.

He should be better next year and then we'll see if he can really become the player that everybody hoped he would when he first was drafted -- i.e. an elite DT who only fell in the draft out of the 1st round because of concerns about his drug use.
            sigpic

Comment

He played alot this season. Started 5 games, appeared in all 16 games. DT would be a position that would need to be addressed regaurdless. Lack of depth and just the sheer lack of performance from them this year demands it. Thomas should develope into a solid DT but with the year we had we just can not sit back and hope. Do not need a vetat the end of his rope; a solid vet or another rookie is going to be thrown into the mix for sure.
              Thanks WhiteDragon!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=85326 Last years 1st RD Mock
              GM Draft-#24-CB Aqib Talib Kansas
              #54-WR Earl Bennett Vandy
              #85-G Roy Schuening OSU
              #114(via HOU-Pacman Trade) TE Brad Cottam TEN
              #120 LB Ben Moffit USF
              Block: TE Troupe RB Brown DT Starks

Comment

DTs like it's been said usually jump drastically in their second season.

also consider if we get a DT teams need to double team beside him, he could go wild. which could open up elvis, or whoever it opposite elvis. it won't take much to make this line good. well, it will, i guess i mean it won't take many players. just one really fat, awesome tackle.

which we need to hunt down this season. badly. i think thomas will quietly become a steal for us.
                Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

I believe that Marcus Thomas will become a premier DT in this league and be considered one of the steals of the 2006 draft.

Comment

Corey is just a more experienced version of Marcus Thomas. He is 6'4" and 313 pounds. He is mot a "space eater". He appears to be a solid p;ayer and would be a big improvement over anyone we had this year, but he isn't a true nose tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Tyger View Post
                      I believe that Marcus Thomas will become a premier DT in this league and be considered one of the steals of the 2006 draft.
                      That would be wonderful, but impossible. since he was drafted in 2007
                      Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

Originally posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
                        That would be wonderful, but impossible. since he was drafted in 2007
                        It's ok Darth, you can keep your fingers crossed if you like! I think Thomas had a good year for a rookie. Hopefully he can improve next year! I must admit though, as useless as Sam Adams was, it was pretty darn funny watching him chase after a QB.

Comment

Did we cut Sam Adams towards the end og the year or did we shelve em for faster tackles?

Comment

Originally posted by BarkdogRX7 View Post
                            Did we cut Sam Adams towards the end og the year or did we shelve em for faster tackles?
                            He was cut. He was a one year stop gap that was thought to be a good transition player for Bates system; Huge DT that suck up blockers and allow the ends to line up wide to rush the passer. But he was just to old and had nothing left in the tank.

Had nothing to do with wanting faster DT, just ones that could play.
                            Thanks WhiteDragon!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=85326 Last years 1st RD Mock
                            GM Draft-#24-CB Aqib Talib Kansas
                            #54-WR Earl Bennett Vandy
                            #85-G Roy Schuening OSU
                            #114(via HOU-Pacman Trade) TE Brad Cottam TEN
                            #120 LB Ben Moffit USF
                            Block: TE Troupe RB Brown DT Starks

Comment

I sure am missing G. Warren right about now....minus his HUGE contract.

He and Thomas could have done some big things here in Denver.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X