Calling for DJ's Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling for DJ's Head?

Why is everyone calling for his head just as he had started to get the position and was getting his gaps and doing a good job. He lead the AFC in tackles only behind the freak of a rookie Patrick Willis so why call for his job in his prime i'm sorry i love Al as much as the next guy and think he would be great to be brought back but not as starting Mike cause i don't think he still has it. He had his worst year his last year here and was on a down hill slide but i still think he should be brought in and he can try for starting Mike because he just shouldn't be made it i think Dj did to good. Dj has stated that he loves playing Mike more than anyother position and that he does not want to be moved. So i say bring in Al let him try out if he better then make him starter if not then maybe try him at other Lb or move him to backup Mike.

I think Mike Shanahan's seemingly lack of complete confidence and uncertainty with DJ staying in the middle should tell most fans everything they need to know right there.

Basically, the Broncos will look to improve the position, either through draft or Free Agency, in the offseason. Otherwise, DJ will win the role by default.
    sigpic

Comment

The guys who lead the league in tackles are generally assissted by the fact that their team's defense is pretty shoddy, and spends a lot of time on the field. This gives the players more opportunity to actually make tackles, so it's a bit of a mis-leading statistic.

That said, DJ did have a good year and I'd be quite comfortable with him at MLB starting next year. That said, if the opportunity arises to get in a stud MLB and move DJ back weakside comes about, don't be surprised at all to see Shanny take it.

If Lauranitis (sp?) falls to number 12 in the draft, there's a fair chance we take him I reckon. He alongside DJ would give us a fantastic LB corp. SAM's really don't have to be that good with two really good guys beside him.

Unlikely he falls though, and even if he does we could be looking at Phillips or Mendenhall as options also at that spot, maybe Ellis too.

Comment

The problem with leaving DJ in as a Mike is most of his tackles were 5-6 yards downfield. DJ's strength is in getting into the backfield and disrupting rhythm, making tackles behind the LOS, etc. Not being a last line of defense.

I'd love to draft someone like J. Leman or Dan Conner to hold the middle and let DJ do his thing, which is running around unleashed and making plays.
        In Manning I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos2024 View Post
          Why is everyone calling for his head just as he had started to get the position and was getting his gaps and doing a good job. He lead the AFC in tackles only behind the freak of a rookie Patrick Willis so why call for his job in his prime i'm sorry i love Al as much as the next guy and think he would be great to be brought back but not as starting Mike cause i don't think he still has it. He had his worst year his last year here and was on a down hill slide but i still think he should be brought in and he can try for starting Mike because he just shouldn't be made it i think Dj did to good. Dj has stated that he loves playing Mike more than anyother position and that he does not want to be moved. So i say bring in Al let him try out if he better then make him starter if not then maybe try him at other Lb or move him to backup Mike.

what are you talking about? Dj is just out of position and his abilities could be used even further if he was in his natural position. If Dj does not need to play LB its better for the team in the long run because he plays great on the strong side.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post
            The problem with leaving DJ in as a Mike is most of his tackles were 5-6 yards downfield. DJ's strength is in getting into the backfield and disrupting rhythm, making tackles behind the LOS, etc. Not being a last line of defense.

I'd love to draft someone like J. Leman or Dan Conner to hold the middle and let DJ do his thing, which is running around unleashed and making plays.
            That's what I've been trying to tell everyone...

DJ made tackles, sure. But he only started to look better when we put an 8th guy in the box, and even then, he was marginal to average, and the defense was still inconsistent with gap control and assignment.
            sigpic

Comment

How sick would it have been if we could have drafted Patrick Willis?

He is a BAD, BAD Man!
              sigpic

Comment

Make tackles

No matter where he made or how they were made he still made those tackles and he can play there. He said that he has like playing middle the most and actually i read somewhere his natural position was middle but had to move because he was worthy of starting but Miami had an amazing mlb in Vilma i'm not 100% sure of it but i could of sworn that i read that.

Comment

Bronco fans need to pull their heads out of their asses. The fact is DJ is not suited for the MLB position. He did his job for the most part, but he shines at the OLB position because of his size and speed.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                    That's what I've been trying to tell everyone...

DJ made tackles, sure. But he only started to look better when we put an 8th guy in the box, and even then, he was marginal to average, and the defense was still inconsistent with gap control and assignment.
                    Tell me how putting another man in the box helped HIM make more tackles? By logic, putting the 8th man in the box would help the defense make more stops against the run, but wouldn't give HIM more tackles. Explain this logic to me since you seem to be quoting someone about this, and about the gap control.

Comment

I said this in another thread, but it fits here as well...

Yeah.. thats what I got out of the press conference as well when he was asked about DJ. In fact, I thought to myself as soon as he said it "well, I see DJ being moved back outside this coming season." It was pretty clear, to me anyway, that Shanahan saying "he did some really good things this year" didn't come across as him saying "DJ did an outstanding job this year." I think he would have said something closer to the latter had he felt DJ did well enough to keep his job.

Like you said, we could be wrong, but I'm not going to be "shocked" if he's moved outside again. That being said, I won't be shocked if he stays in the middle either. DJ did play a completely new position, and most likely Shanahan hasn't had time to really go back and evaluate each player's film with the coordinator to determine jsut how good or bad he did this season. So his initial reaction may change later on that.

I personally have mixed feelings with DJ. I don't think he is a natural WILL, and feel that he's too good of a player to waste on the SAM. He is an extremely talented athlete, and we need to keep him going after that ball. So MIKE is the absolute best spot for him. I know moving to MIKE in the NFL is a TOUGH thing to do, so I'm not willing to say he didn't do well. I'm saying he did well considering his lack of experience there, and the 'learning on the job' thing in the NFL..... is the hardest thing to do for anyone. Not only does it show immediately, but you have 80,000 fans just WATCHING you, then the other millions on TV watching you, and the media writing about you... while LEARNING. Thats so tough.

People want to complain about DJ not being a vocal leader (although they complained about that with Cutler too, I think thats just another lame thing to complain about).... but being that 'vocal' leader comes with comfort and confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                        Tell me how putting another man in the box helped HIM make more tackles? By logic, putting the 8th man in the box would help the defense make more stops against the run, but wouldn't give HIM more tackles. Explain this logic to me since you seem to be quoting someone about this, and about the gap control.
                        Because by putting another guy in the box, it allieviated some of his own gap control/assignment, which freed him up to move around and swarm the ball carrier/receiver.

Before they put that 8th man (which was Lynch) in there, he was constantly missing assignments and tackles.
                        sigpic

Comment

BTW, ravage - I didn't quote anyone, I promise you that. You clearly disbelieve that I have the ability to understand/comprehend basic football.

Before the 8th guy was put in there, the linebackers - all three of them, were getting pushed around and were out of position. Having four guys in the middle of the defense helped that somewhat, and allowed DJ to act more as a free safety than a MLB.
                          sigpic

Comment

no one should go off what shanny siad he is the most vague coach i have ever met when it comes to press conferences, I guarentee Al wilson would be a downgrade to dj williams at MIKE, wilson had his worst year at mike his last year with us, and has been out of football for a year, dj is essentially a rookie LB, he has been moved to a different spot each year, He hated and the coaches didnt like him at SLB so that wont happen again, and any guy with football knowledege knows that dj cant play will for crap, he lacks coverage and blitzing ability and will be even more of a liabilty at WLB in slowiks scheme. with wlb and slb out of the question that leaves Mike, and its pointless to get a mike when our other 2 backer positions need more of an upgrade than mike, rest assured Dj will still have to prove in camp he can stay at mike, but i am quite confident he can do it.

also those calling for Connor and Laurinitas.........are u kidding me LSU exposed Laurinitas for what he is and thats a fraud, he looked more lost in his bowl game then dj looked all season, so that is a downgrade my friends not an upgrade and connor was the same in his bowl game.

also before u tell me i am wrong i watched both games in depth, so back off..........

OLB is the backer need that will be addressd this offseason not mike!

Comment

Well, i was against DJ in the middle from the start, i wanted the Broncos to sign Jeremiah Trotter for the Middle, move DJ to weakside and put Holdman at strongside, that didnt happen, Trotter signed and wasted his whole season in Tampa, Holdman got hurt and DJ played the Middle, But like i said before i give credit to DJ , i think for a guy that had never played middle before he did a good job with the line he had in front of him but i still do think he would be a probowler at the weakside spot.
                              "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X