Clear All

• broncoman51
    replied
    are sport thats all there is to it

Leave a comment:

• BRONCOS_OWN_U16
    replied
    Originally posted by muse View Post
    The way I see it the US is a very different case to the rest of the world. It's probably why a lot of posters especially when it comes to sports. The NFL's biggest problem is that it's an incredibly hard game to get into unless you grow up with it and it's simply not an international-friendly game. However, I can see the NFL's thinking when they want to get young people overseas into the game so it can spread and get more people into the grassroots which in the long run could establish the sport in Britain. However, there are tons and tons of misconceptions about the sport over here. It's exactly the same way as you write off rugby and cricket as "crap" because people just aren't exposed to it enough and after watching a few highlights (which goes completely over their heads) they decide they don't like it.

It's a sad mentality that "we invented it therefore it must be better", but it still holds. Not ice hockey though, it was invented by British and Canadian soldiers but I think that this, coupled with the unwillingness to actually share the sports with the rest of the world (yes, it is ridiculous to proclaim oneself a world champion when only one country in the world plays it) because of this elitist attitude is a bit sad. Are you afraid you may lose?

There're are a lot of countries who have embraced British sports - football, rugby and cricket to name a few because we actually bothered to export them and it just makes them a little more accessible because of it. The fact that the aforementioned sports have flourished - thanks in part to the international component - proves that exporting a game is not a bad thing in the slightest.
    cricket and rugby are crap.thats a fact
    and
    i know who invented the game of football. I dont know what your trying to say.

Leave a comment:

• SkyFlash1
    replied
    Originally posted by stnzed View Post
    The longterm plan is to have two international games played every year, on a 16-year rotating schedule that would guarantee that each team would get to play twice over that span: once as the home team and once as the away team.
    "Get to" as if this is somehow desirable.

Separate from this, the Buffalo Bills have sought to play regular season home games in Toronto, Ontario. The league has yet to decide on the matter.
    As in "Screw our American fans, we want Canadians, eh? Apparently Canadians are unable to turn on the TV or drive to Buffalo.

Leave a comment:

• SkyFlash1
    replied
    Hey, if wecan play the road KC game in London instead of Arrowhead, that'd be awesome. Other than that particular benefit though, I'm quite against regular season games outside the country.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Hopefully they do have a choice, Bowlen doesn't want to go to Europe either!

In October 2006, NFL club owners approved a plan to stage up to two international regular season games per season beginning in 2007 and continuing through at least 2011. The New York Giants and the Miami Dolphins played at Wembley Stadium in London on October 28, 2007 for the first of these games.

The longterm plan is to have two international games played every year, on a 16-year rotating schedule that would guarantee that each team would get to play twice over that span: once as the home team and once as the away team. Separate from this, the Buffalo Bills have sought to play regular season home games in Toronto, Ontario. The league has yet to decide on the matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular...ide_of_the_U.S

But it sure as hell doesn't sound like it to me.

I'll see if I can find the piece where Goodell basically told Jones to pound sand......

Leave a comment:

• jetrazor74
    replied
    Originally posted by ShadeofBlue View Post
    Hadn't heard either of these quite. On Jerry Jones:

Jerry Jones said it was volunteer. He also was specifically talking about big home rivalry games, not general games, and his big concern mentioned in every story is the fear of losing home advantage in rivalry games.

Didn't ever read that Goodell laid the smack down on Jones for that, but if you have an article on that I'd be interested.

Second right now Goodell is talking about 2 games a year overseas. 2!

That means that if every team was forced to play one home game overseas it would be 16 full years between home games played outside the home town.

Considering that you get to volunteer (something that teams that are doing blackouts due to unsold tickets will likely consider first) it will be even longer probably. And I think the NFL will probably have another wave of expansion teams in 5 years let alone 16, so it might be even longer.

Again the NFL is a buisness, and playing real games overseas works. A quote on that game played on Mexico in 2005:

(from here -- really long but somewhat interesting)

I guess I just don't feel that the lost 1 game every 16 years (that will still be televised and such) is a huge loss for the influx of interest, the increased revenue for the team itself, and the potential of more star athletes wanting to become american football players.

And still, right now it seems that the words being used is volunteer. Is it the proverbial slippery slope? Who knows?

My guess? In five years we have another round of expansion teams for cities that are crowing about one (like CA and NY), along with 4-5 Canadian/ Mexican/ etc expansions. From there I imagine it'll be another 5 years of watching and waiting to see how it works out.

But in the end, the game won't die if Europeans play it professionally or Mexicans or Chineese or any other nation. The game will die if theres not any interest in it, or there are so many fragmented mini leagues that nobody cares which of 50 "world champions" you are (like boxing right now).

Its a sport. Not a cultural monolith. People everywhere already play the game. As a business, it makes monatary sense. As a fan, losing 1 home game every 16 years isn't something 99% of people will notice. Instead of trying to drive off other fans, lets say thanks for loving the Broncos, and hope they continue to cheer on what makes our team special.

Amen!

Leave a comment:

• ShadeofBlue
    replied
    Originally posted by stnzed View Post
    When Jerry Jones basically said he wants no part of it, Goodell basically said he has no choice in the matter.

The NFL most definitely is forcing the teams to do this......

Hadn't heard either of these quite. On Jerry Jones:

Jerry Jones, emerged from a private conference on sports globalization yesterday to insist that international games were fine for some teams. "It probably doesn't fit us," Jones quickly added.
    While several owners have expressed interest in having their teams play a regular-season game overseas, Jerry Jones isn't one of them. "I don't think it's for the Cowboys," he said this week. "It's really not for us. There are plenty of [other] teams that will volunteer for that."
    Jerry Jones said it was volunteer. He also was specifically talking about big home rivalry games, not general games, and his big concern mentioned in every story is the fear of losing home advantage in rivalry games.

Didn't ever read that Goodell laid the smack down on Jones for that, but if you have an article on that I'd be interested.

Second right now Goodell is talking about 2 games a year overseas. 2!

That means that if every team was forced to play one home game overseas it would be 16 full years between home games played outside the home town.

Considering that you get to volunteer (something that teams that are doing blackouts due to unsold tickets will likely consider first) it will be even longer probably. And I think the NFL will probably have another wave of expansion teams in 5 years let alone 16, so it might be even longer.

Again the NFL is a buisness, and playing real games overseas works. A quote on that game played on Mexico in 2005:

In 2005 the NFL played a regular season game in Mexico City. 103,000 football fans filled the stadium that day for the game between the San Francisco 49’ers and the Arizona Cardinals. The goal that day – to help create inroads into the Hispanic market for the NFL. A New York Times report suggested two years later the results speak for themselves.

According to Joaquin Del Rivero, managing director of N.F.L. Mexico, the game had a “beautiful and humongous impact” on the N.F.L.’s growth in Mexico. It helped spark 20 to 25 percent annual increases in revenue from media, licensing and sponsorship deals in Mexico the past two years, Del Rivero said.
    (from here -- really long but somewhat interesting)

I guess I just don't feel that the lost 1 game every 16 years (that will still be televised and such) is a huge loss for the influx of interest, the increased revenue for the team itself, and the potential of more star athletes wanting to become american football players.

And still, right now it seems that the words being used is volunteer. Is it the proverbial slippery slope? Who knows?

My guess? In five years we have another round of expansion teams for cities that are crowing about one (like CA and NY), along with 4-5 Canadian/ Mexican/ etc expansions. From there I imagine it'll be another 5 years of watching and waiting to see how it works out.

But in the end, the game won't die if Europeans play it professionally or Mexicans or Chineese or any other nation. The game will die if theres not any interest in it, or there are so many fragmented mini leagues that nobody cares which of 50 "world champions" you are (like boxing right now).

Its a sport. Not a cultural monolith. People everywhere already play the game. As a business, it makes monatary sense. As a fan, losing 1 home game every 16 years isn't something 99% of people will notice. Instead of trying to drive off other fans, lets say thanks for loving the Broncos, and hope they continue to cheer on what makes our team special.

Leave a comment:

• muse
    replied
    The way I see it the US is a very different case to the rest of the world. It's probably why a lot of posters especially when it comes to sports. The NFL's biggest problem is that it's an incredibly hard game to get into unless you grow up with it and it's simply not an international-friendly game. However, I can see the NFL's thinking when they want to get young people overseas into the game so it can spread and get more people into the grassroots which in the long run could establish the sport in Britain. However, there are tons and tons of misconceptions about the sport over here. It's exactly the same way as you write off rugby and cricket as "crap" because people just aren't exposed to it enough and after watching a few highlights (which goes completely over their heads) they decide they don't like it.

i mean we never ask to see your rugby and cricket and what ever crap sports you guys like to play.

you need to make your own football league.
    It's a sad mentality that "we invented it therefore it must be better", but it still holds. Not ice hockey though, it was invented by British and Canadian soldiers but I think that this, coupled with the unwillingness to actually share the sports with the rest of the world (yes, it is ridiculous to proclaim oneself a world champion when only one country in the world plays it) because of this elitist attitude is a bit sad. Are you afraid you may lose?

There're are a lot of countries who have embraced British sports - football, rugby and cricket to name a few because we actually bothered to export them and it just makes them a little more accessible because of it. The fact that the aforementioned sports have flourished - thanks in part to the international component - proves that exporting a game is not a bad thing in the slightest.

Leave a comment:

• BRONCOS_OWN_U16
    replied
    Originally posted by Kapaibro View Post
    Yeah, that's real smart. There aren't International teams playing doofus.

But then you probably think people like me and Jaws and Den shouldn't like NFL cos we're not Americans. We should also get rid of every non US player, and never screen the game anywhere but in the USA, and not sell any items to non US citizens.

Yeah, that sounds really fricking intelligent
    pretty much yes.
    you peoples can watch it and what ever but it shouldnt be played in your damn countries.

i mean we never ask to see your rugby and cricket and what ever crap sports you guys like to play.

you need to make your own football league.

oh yeah it didnt work out so well did it?
    Last edited by BRONCOS_OWN_U16; 01-20-2008, 11:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Originally posted by draco193 View Post
    I dont ever want Denver to play an overseas game. I know its a once in a lifetime opportunity for fans there, but, people here only one chance sometimes to see a game.

How angry would fans be, and players and owners, if they lost a game that determined their playoff lives overseas?

I wouldnt mind more preseason games being played there. Go ahead and play the 3rd preason game there, starters play longer into it, and it wont make or break a season.

I would actually like to see the Europeans start their own league. More local players might make up for the lack of talent. In Germany NFL Europe was actually popular. It would be a good place to start.
    The fact is: Without the real deal, American Football stands ZERO chance of making it in Europe. Unless you count 250,000 fans a success.

So, in theory, the NFL is sending the real deal overseas to give it any chance whatsoever of succeeding......When it's already succeeding like a Motherf'er in the United States.

The Europeans won't be starting their own league, simply because they couldn't care less about American Football......Unless you count 250,000 fans "caring about American Football"......

Leave a comment:

• draco193
    replied
    I dont ever want Denver to play an overseas game. I know its a once in a lifetime opportunity for fans there, but, people here only one chance sometimes to see a game.

How angry would fans be, and players and owners, if they lost a game that determined their playoff lives overseas?

I wouldnt mind more preseason games being played there. Go ahead and play the 3rd preason game there, starters play longer into it, and it wont make or break a season.

I would actually like to see the Europeans start their own league. More local players might make up for the lack of talent. In Germany NFL Europe was actually popular. It would be a good place to start.

Leave a comment:

• #1BroncFaninKC
    replied
    Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
    I absolutely agree that it was a bad choice of games. So if that's what you've been your point, then I apologize for missing it. An AFC/AFC or NFC/NFC game would have been a better choice. To that I agree with you!!

okay, now i'm out!!
    Hey where did you get that clip of the chief's being owned on that hit? I've got to send that to my friends that are chiefs fans!

Leave a comment:

• KozmicKlown
    replied
    Originally posted by Kapaibro View Post
    Yeah, that's real smart. There aren't International teams playing doofus.

But then you probably think people like me and Jaws and Den shouldn't like NFL cos we're not Americans. We should also get rid of every non US player, and never screen the game anywhere but in the USA, and not sell any items to non US citizens.

Yeah, that sounds really fricking intelligent

And that is why YOU are my favorite.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
    and exactly how did I make your point for you? The point is they showed up in droves and stayed for every snap because they were able to watch the pros play, not some scrubs.

The bottom line is one game in Europe is not going to kill you, and will do alot of good for the league. With revenue sharing, that means that if the teams that play over there make alot of money, it's going to trickle to the Broncos too.

It seems as though you're reacting like a 2 year old with a toy that your mommy just made you share with someone else.

Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, there's a world out there which doesn't revolve around you.

You said the NFLE games sucked, I said the Giant/Dolphins game sucked too, also saying these games are doing nothing to grow the sport in a country that doesn't care about it in the first place. And you proved my point that the game in Europe did indeed suck, by saying the Giants and Dolphins suck.

The point being the both the game in Europe and NFLE sucked, and if NFLE failed, what makes you think the NFL will be any different considering the game they put on during the season?

Besides, those people came out "in droves" because it's a once in a while thing, a Renaissance Festival......a car show. Meanwhile, fans that do care are getting a home game ripped, and for what? To acknowledge the world outside the United States of America? To please the whopping 250,000 Euros that put their name in a lottery?

250,000?

Your insults do little to change any of this, but they do go a long way toward making yourself look like a two-year-old, too. Cute analogy, though, Dr Phil......
    Last edited by stnzed; 01-20-2008, 08:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jetrazor74
    replied
    Originally posted by jlhawkins9 View Post
    Thats another bad analogy because the game is totally different. My main argument is that say if a Denver vs Buffalo game got moved from Denver than it would suck, but they come every 1-2 yrs, so you can get over that. New Orleans is coming to Denver next year prob been since around 97-98 since they played here. Im sure the couple of the NO fans that live in Denver would be pissed because its been 10 plus years since they got to see the team. Or a Denver fan that would love the chance to see Reggie Bush play live. I swear we play Jacksonville every year at home, games like that should be moved, not an AFC vs NFC game. The 8yr schedule that they do now, Im guaranteed 1 Denver game in Atl every 8yrs. If that was a game that was moved, you think I would be happy that I got to wait 16yrs to see denver play one game in Atl?????? Im already pissed that I have to wait that long!

I absolutely agree that it was a bad choice of games. So if that's what you've been your point, then I apologize for missing it. An AFC/AFC or NFC/NFC game would have been a better choice. To that I agree with you!!

okay, now i'm out!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X