Randy Gradishar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy Gradishar

I will be the first to admit that I am completely bias on this subject. But can someone tell me some of the reasons why Randy isn't in the HOF? I can't figure it out. Did he not play long enough? No ring? What are some of the reasons you have heard people use?

He didn't play in New York, Dallas, or Washington.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie View Post
      He didn't play in New York, Dallas, or Washington.

To be honest, Washington has been snubbed as of late. Art Monk deserves to be there just as much as Randy and I am a huge Gradishar fan.

The reason Gradishar isn't in yet is because he doesn't have a yearly campaign like Michael Irvin or Harry Carson. How in the HELL did Harry Carson get in before Gradishar. Carson would've had a difficult time getting any playing time if Gradishar had been a Giant.

Comment

Because there is an East Coast media bias against the Denver Broncos...it's the same reason Terrell Davis, Rod Smith, Karl Mecklenburg, and Louis Wright among others probably won't make the Hall, even though all are worthy.

Comment

There's no legit reason Gradishar isn't in the Hall.

He was in the NFL for 10 years and lead the NFL in tackles for 9 of them, all but his rookie year.

The tackle numbers he put up are amazing and will probably never be approached again and he averaged 200 tackles a season for his career...And during part of his career, seasons were only 14 games long.

He was also the best short yardage LB in history.

Back in the early 80's, there was a game late in the season against Detroit and RB Billy Simms.

Simms had never been stopped that year on a 3 and 1 or 4 and 1.

Gradishar hadn't given up a single first down on 3 and 1 or 4 and 1...

That game, Billy Simms was 0 for 3, with Gradishar making all three tackles. Gradishar finished the season "undefeated", having never given up a first down on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1.

Gradishar's detractors argue that his tackle numbers were inflated in Denver. What they forget to mention was that Gradishar played half of his games on the road. Oooops....There goes that theory.

Comment

Gradishar is by far the best leader and defensive player that the Broncos have had...Meck being a close second...

For those of you that don't know about him, think Al Wilson X 2....
            I Love Orange Crush!

Comment

Originally posted by jpark31 View Post
              Gradishar is by far the best leader and defensive player that the Broncos have had...Meck being a close second...

For those of you that don't know about him, think Al Wilson X 2....

Think Al Wilson X 10. Gradishar could cover the pass, he would wrap up during tackles, he would never help up a Raider and he played in a 3-4 scheme thus not having the luxury of having to 300 lb tackles taking on the blockers.

Comment

It's partially Gradishar's fault he isn't in the HOF now.

He only played 10 years in the NFL. He retired after the '83 season and he retired healthy and going to his 8th Probowl. If he would have played 3 more seasons 84-85-86 he would have been at least to one more superBowl and those teams finished an amazing 35-13. Besides, if he would have played on those teams they would have been better, and maybe the 85 team with him would have made the playoffs and maybe the 84 team with him could have gone to the Superbowl.

IF Gradishar would have played three more season he would have possibly been a first ballot HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by speardog View Post
                  It's partially Gradishar's fault he isn't in the HOF now.

He only played 10 years in the NFL. He retired after the '83 season and he retired healthy and going to his 8th Probowl. If he would have played 3 more seasons 84-85-86 he would have been at least to one more superBowl and those teams finished an amazing 35-13. Besides, if he would have played on those teams they would have been better, and maybe the 85 team with him would have made the playoffs and maybe the 84 team with him could have gone to the Superbowl.

IF Gradishar would have played three more season he would have possibly been a first ballot HOF.
                  After all we've heard about debilitating injuries from retired players, are you really making that argument?

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie View Post
                    After all we've heard about debilitating injuries from retired players, are you really making that argument?

I'm glad he is healthy and I'm glad he had a wonderful career. All I stated was that he retired on top of his game in the prime of his career and if he would have played three more years on those very good Bronco teams he would have been in the HOF by now.

I would bet most HOFers played more than 10 years in the NFL.

Comment

As we come down the stretch for another let down by the HOF voters, I wanted to post the writers who make these decisions:

Arizona: Kent Somers, Arizona Republic
                      Atlanta: Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com
                      Baltimore: Scott Garceau, WMAR-TV
                      Buffalo: Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News
                      Carolina: Charles Chandler, Charlotte Observer
                      Chicago: Dan Pompei, Chicago Tribune
                      Cincinnati: Chick Ludwig, Dayton Daily News
                      Cleveland: Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer
                      Dallas: Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News*
                      Denver: Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
                      Detroit: Mike O'Hara, The Detroit News
                      Green Bay: Cliff Christl, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
                      Houston: John McClain, Houston Chronicle*
                      Indianapolis: Mike Chappell, Indianapolis Star
                      Jacksonville: Sam Kouvaris, WJXT-TV
                      Kansas City: Bob Gretz, KCFX Overland Park, KS
                      Miami: Edwin Pope, Miami Herald*
                      Minnesota: Sid Hartman, The Minneapolis Star-Tribune
                      New England: Ron Borges, HBO Sports/Pro Football Weekly
                      New Orleans: Pete Finney, Times-Picayune
                      New York (Giants): Vinny DiTrani, Bergen Record
                      New York (Jets): Paul Zimmerman, Sports Illustrated
                      Oakland: Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange
                      Philadelphia: Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News
                      Pittsburgh: Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
                      St. Louis: Bernie Miklasz, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
                      San Diego : Jerry Magee, San Diego Union Tribune*
                      San Francisco: Ira Miller, The Sports Xchange*
                      Seattle Clare: Farnsworth, Seattle Post-Intelligencer
                      Tampa Bay: Ira Kaufman, Tampa Tribune
                      Tennessee: David Climer, The Tennessean
                      Washington: David Elfin, Washington Times
                      PFWA: Charean Williams, Ft. Worth Star Telegram
                      At Large: Howard Balzer, The Sports Xchange
                      At Large: Jarrett Bell, USA Today
                      At Large: John Clayton, ESPN/ESPN Magazine
                      At Large: John Czarnecki, FoxSports.com
                      At Large: Nancy Gay, San Francisco Chronicle
                      At Large: Dave Goldberg, Associated Press*
                      At Large: Peter King, Sports Illustrated
                      At Large: Bob Oates, Los Angeles Times
                      At Large: Len Shapiro, Miami Herald*
                      At Large: Vito Stellino, Florida Times Union
                      At Large: Jim Trotter, Sports Illustrated
                      * Also serves on the Senior Selection Committee. There is one selector still to be determined who will serve on the Senior Selection Committee.

Now, I don't know if its possible or if it would help, but heres a thought... Would it help or hurt Gradishar's chances of getting into the HOF if we were to all start writing these voters and having them give us a reason why Gradishar is not in the HOF. Do any of you realize this is the last chance Gradishar can get in on the regular ballot before he gets moved to the "Senior Selection Committee?"

Also, here is a link with a breakdown of the 17 finalist:
                      http://www.profootballhof.com/enshri...?story_id=2640

Cris Carter – Wide Receiver – 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins
                      Fred Dean – Defensive End – 1975-1981 San Diego Chargers, 1981-85 San Francisco 49ers
                      Richard Dent – Defensive End – 1983-1993, 1995 Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Colts, 1997 Eagles
                      *** Marshall Goldberg – Back – 1939-1943, 1946-48 Chicago Cardinals
                      ***Randy Gradishar – Linebacker – 1974-1983 Denver Broncos
                      ***Darrell Green – Cornerback – 1983-2002 Washington Redskins
                      Russ Grimm – Guard – 1981-1991 Washington Redskins
                      Ray Guy – Punter – 1973-1986 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders
                      Bob Kuechenberg – Guard – 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins
                      Randall McDaniel – Guard – 1988-1999 Minnesota Vikings, 2000-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
                      ***Art Monk – Wide Receiver – 1980-1993 Washington Redskins, 1994 New York Jets, 1995 Philadelphia Eagles
                      Andre Reed – Wide Receiver – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins
                      Paul Tagliabue – Commissioner – 1989-2006 National Football League
                      ***Derrick Thomas – Linebacker – 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs
                      *** Emmitt Thomas – Cornerback – 1966-1978 Kansas City Chiefs
                      Andre Tippett – Linebacker – 1982-1993 New England Patriots
                      ***Gary Zimmerman – Tackle – 1986-1992 Minnesota Vikings, 1993-97 Denver Broncos

*** Who I hope gets in. The reason I put Emmit Thomas & Marshall Goldberg is that will free up a possible spot for the likes of Floyd Little & Tombstone Jackson. Little came up 1 vote short from appearing on this list.

Comment

Working...
                      X