If our offensive line could give Cutler five seconds to throw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beast#7 View Post
    Yea, well sometimes wishes don't come true do they?

The O-line gave Cutler good protection against the Chiefs, that was good stuff

but, you also have to consider our injuries on the o-line, that affected us.

Both Chris Myers and Chris Kuper were better than Hamilton at LG, imo, it's when Myers had to play Center for Nalen that the line suffered because of injuries.

Well that and Lepsis not rebounding from his knee injury.

Keep Kuper at LG (I'd even consider the kid at LT), bring back Myers to backup Nalen and find two new tackles......that's a start.

But imo, it's the coaching and the philosophy in personnel that is failing the offensive line more than anything.

280lber's being coached by a former LB has never made any sense to me......

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post
      From Rivals

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...144&CID=749667

12. Denver (7-9)
      The Pick: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.*
      The buzz: The Broncos offensive line must improve for QB Jay Cutler to take the next step as an NFL starter.

I think that's a bad link, cutlerfan......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
        I think that's a bad link, cutlerfan......
        My Bad - thanks

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...144&CID=749667

----------------------------------------------
        I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Both Chris Myers and Chris Kuper were better than Hamilton at LG, imo, it's when Myers had to play Center for Nalen that the line suffered because of injuries.

Keep Kuper at LG (I'd even consider the kid at LT), bring back Myers to backup Nalen and find two new tackles......that's a start.

But imo, it's the coaching and the philosophy in personnel that is failing the offensive line more than anything.

I do agree with this, I think the whole philosophy with the O-line needs to change.

To be fair, it does seem that Shanahan has been moving in the direction of larger bodies on the o-line over the last few years though.

Harris is listed at 300, Kuper is 302, Meyers is 295, Pears 305, and Holland is a whopping 322! Foster, if I remember right, was about 320.

Now as far as the coaching thing, um, yeah.

Comment

But watching Brady look average at times last night (And Manning the week before) made me think about this subject too......But then again, I've been obsessed with the offensive line for years.

It's a subject that will be brought up for years, as I do not see Shanahan changing anything......
            Here's what I don't understand about it. Before the Christmas Eve game against the Chargers, Coach was asked what did he want for Christmas "an offensive line" or something along those lines.

Then, in his end of season presser he said he had faith that the line would be better in 2008.

What changed?

Is he simply counting on Hamilton and Nalen being healthy for the improvement? If so, its a grevious error IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by slick7 View Post
              Here's what I don't understand about it. Before the Christmas Eve game against the Chargers, Coach was asked what did he want for Christmas "an offensive line" or something along those lines.

Then, in his end of season presser he said he had faith that the line would be better in 2008.

What changed?

Is he simply counting on Hamilton and Nalen being healthy for the improvement? If so, its a grevious error IMO.
              I remember Shanny saying he coveted NE's O-Line. Maybe in his season ending presser he knew that Nalen and Hamilton are coming back??

I would like to see Ryan Harris play. To see how good he is. The back surgery kinda worried me but maybe he is good to go now.

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

Our offensive line must improve.

It was awful, especially towards the end of the year.

Brining Ben Hamilton and Tom Nalen back will help.. but how much?

Sure they know what to do inside and out, but remember.. they aren't the greatest pass protectors at their respective position.

Great run blockers, but average pass blockers.

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post
                  I remember Shanny saying he coveted NE's O-Line. Maybe in his season ending presser he knew that Nalen and Hamilton are coming back??

I would like to see Ryan Harris play. To see how good he is. The back surgery kinda worried me but maybe he is good to go now.
                  So he is expecting Nalen and Hamilton getting back to their old form? A little too much to expect IMO. We know Nails was a pro-bowler, and the best center in the AFC along with Mawae(sp) when healthy.

Hamilton, with the concussion factor, I wouldn't count on.

I'd like to see Harris play too. I think he has the smarts to learn and be effective in the ZBS, but will he have the physical tools to do so? I hope so.

I don't think for Jay's sake, we can make that assumption. As bad as I want to see Phillips in the Orange and Blue, I think O-line is the way to go.

It solidifies the point that a lot of posters have made lately. Trading down might be better for the team. There are some great tackles coming out, and we have a plethora of holes to fill. The more picks the better.

Comment

I'm in agreement with Cutfan here, once again. Championship caliber teams can protect their quarterback, and on the other side of the ball put pressure on the opponent. We should stack a nice, big line around Jay to give him the best opportunity to succeed. The best way to insure a qb's health is a line who takes it personally when somebody blows by them to take a lick on the QB.

If Jay could get five seconds......

Comment

its hard to give up a player like sedrick ellis DT from USC. but man we really need to do something about our O line and I am leaning towards OT first round. HMM! WHAT TO DO?

Comment

Originally posted by slick7 View Post

What changed?

Well he might draft an entirely new offensive line this year, but what I meant by saying Shanahan won't be changing anything was he won't be changing his philosophy of using 280lb, pumped-up Fullbacks he got out of the yellow pages.

We can talk all we want about drafting a LT like Clady or Long with the 12th pick, but unfortunately, the fact is Shanahan has no use for players like that.

I fully expect more 280lber's like Ryan Harris picked in the 5th round, because when Shanahan said he'd like an offensive line like that of the Cowboys and Patriots (And you're right, he most certainly did say that), I dismissed it as more Shanahan BS.

On the other hand, I believe Shanahan when he says he has faith in the offensive line. And I agree with you, it is a huge error, but no bigger error than it's been for the last 8 years......

Comment

Well he might draft an entirely new offensive line this year, but what I meant by saying Shanahan won't be changing anything was he won't be changing his philosophy of using 280lb, pumped-up Fullbacks he got out of the yellow pages.

We can talk all we want about drafting a LT like Clady or Long with the 12th pick, but unfortunately, the fact is Shanahan has no use for players like that.

I fully expect more 280lber's like Ryan Harris picked in the 5th round, because when Shanahan said he'd like an offensive line like that of the Cowboys and Patriots (And you're right, he most certainly did say that), I dismissed it as more Shanahan BS.

On the other hand, I believe Shanahan when he says he has faith in the offensive line. And I agree with you, it is a huge error, but no bigger error than it's been for the last 8 years......
                          The offensive line not getting corrrected now will be a lot bigger error than it has been for the last 8 years. Now, there is a potential pro bowl quarterback who will not develop unless given the protection to do so.

The offensive line has to be improved and the D line must be able to stop the run to get the ball in Cutler's hands with decent field position.
                          As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

I'm laughing, and nodding my head in agreement at the same time.

I think I have a man crush on you.

Comment

Also, I know I am biased and homer, but Chris Williams is the OT to take. You PM'd me a question one time stynzd and I didn't steer you wrong. I wouldn't steer you wrong with this one either. Amazing athletic ability for a guy his size. Great speed.
                              As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

Originally posted by vandyman53 View Post
                                Also, I know I am biased and homer, but Chris Williams is the OT to take. You PM'd me a question one time stynzd and I didn't steer you wrong. I wouldn't steer you wrong with this one either. Amazing athletic ability for a guy his size. Great speed.
                                I would like him too Roger. He is a bad boy.

I just want us to get Earl! I don't know if they would draft two Vandy players.

It would be cool, with Goff, Bennett, and Williams

Where Jay Graduated!

Comment

Working...
                                X