Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Lynch Does Retire...What We Will Do To Replace Him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Lynch Does Retire...What We Will Do To Replace Him?

If Lynch does retire do you think Shanny and Co. will go for a vetran free agent to fill the spot, Trade some stuff of ours for a FS, or draft Kenny Phillips? I really don't know what we should do to replace him if he so choses to retire. I want the vetran back there because its an important job for a rookie to take on. But FA costs way too much for what usually turns out to be way too little. So I think the smart choice would be to trade for one and still draft Kenny Phillips. The only reason I think we should still trade for a FS is because it would be nice to give Phillips that vetran leadership and vetran experience to learn from.
    Grab A FA
    20.00%
    Trade For A FS
    5.00%
    Draft Kenny Phillips
    57.50%
    Trade For A FS And Still Draft Kenny Phillips
    17.50%
    Last edited by Soldier96B; 01-29-2008, 09:34 AM.
    Twitter: @FFB_Hitman88

Originally posted by Soldier96B View Post
    If Lynch does retire do you think Shanny and Co. will go for a vetran free agent to fill the spot, Trade some stuff of ours for a FS, or draft Kenny Phillips? I really don't know what we should do to replace him if he so choses to retire. I want the vetran back there because its an important job for a rookie to take on. But FA costs way too much for what usually turns out to be way too little. So I think the smart choice would be to trade for one and still draft Kenny Phillips.
    In all seriousness...I think if that happened you would see Abdullah moved to free safety to start and Ferguson re-signed as the starter at strong safety which is more prototypical for him. Denver would also likely add three or so younger veterans from around the league to compete, even off practice squads...and unfortunatley Phillips right now is dropping in value, but I could see Denver drafting a safety somewhere between the 2nd Round to the 4th at the latest to compete with all those brought in and to eventually challenge later if need be to.

Comment

I think it's amusing that there's even a "draft Kenny Phillips" option out there like it's some type of guarantee. For all we know, Phillips comes out and is everything Max Power and others say about him. He might completely light up the combine and then be drafted top ten putting him out of reach. Just because most of the teams ahead of us don't appear to "need" a Safety that badly, doesn't mean they won't take Phillips. Or, What if Phillips grades out poorly and drops into the late first or second round and is just too much of a reach at 12? It's amusing to think we can just say "draft ____ " and believe that guy will be there.

How about "draft a Safety" as an option? I think if Lynch left that we'd really try to pursue some FA Safeties pretty hard and we'd probably look to draft one, too. I think the immediate fix is FA, though. No matter who you draft, if you bank on a rookie to be an impact starter right away and you have no depth, or backup plan you get....our D-line from last year! Do we really want our secondary in that boat, too?

Either way, if we don't fix the D-line quick, fast, and in a hurry, it won't matter if we've got Ed Reed and Ronnie Lott in his prime out there, they still can't cover for 10+ seconds nor can they make every tackle.

Comment

MUG was right about one thing. Shanahan doesn't value safeties in the draft. He seems to feel that he can find one somewhere off the discard pile (like Hamza Abdullah) or via FA (Lynch) or convert one from CB (Foxworth).

I wouldn't be surprised to see this continue in the draft this year, with Shanahan looking elsewhere than safety and trying to get by with Lynch (if he returns) and Abdullah, and maybe pick up some guys who were cut from their other teams. Etc.

But, the Broncos don't have to draft a S in the first round to find one. There are a number of prospects they could take in the 2nd or 3rd round (if they can trade up into the 3rd).

Since they desperately need a DT, a LB (if Gold is cut), an OT (to groom to eventually be the starting LT -- unless you think that an untested Harris is the answer), and possibly RB (the Broncos have lacked a franchise back since Clinton Portis), it wouldn't be horrible if they don't draft a safety.

There are only so many draft picks, and there are a LOT of holes on this team!

If Gold doesn't return, the biggest need is for a starting WLB to replace him.

If he does, the biggest need is for a starting DT opposite Marcus Thomas (it's a big need whether Gold stays or goes).

Personally, I'd rather see them draft a defensive player in the first round, given how horrible the defense is, but a case can be made to grab a premier OT if one is available. But, the question is whether real value can be had later in the draft at that position. If so, then they should go in another direction.
        Last edited by Cugel; 01-29-2008, 09:49 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

we will draft a safety this year in rds 2-4 regardless of what lynch does.

Comment

If Kenny Phillips isnt avaliable, what do you all think about drafting one of the bigger cornerbacks projected to go in the first round, and convert him to safety?
            dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
              If Kenny Phillips isnt avaliable, what do you all think about drafting one of the bigger cornerbacks projected to go in the first round, and convert him to safety?
              How about Reggie Smith from OU? He played safety his freshman and sophomore seasons before switching to corner last season. It wouldn't be much of a hassle to convert him back to a FS, in fact, that may be his calling in the NFL. He is rangy and athletic and can hit.

Comment

Why would we draft K.P. he is not even that good, he will go somewhere between 19 and 23. Take DeCoud in the second, that boy is a balla and he can play.

If Lynch retires it would suck, but Shanahan should draft DeCoud to come in, he will be a great safety, that and he should resign Fergy to start at strong safety, next year we could get Kevin Ellison and be set for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Wikked Ink View Post
                  Why would we draft K.P. he is not even that good, he will go somewhere between 19 and 23. Take DeCoud in the second, that boy is a balla and he can play.

If Lynch retires it would suck, but Shanahan should draft DeCoud to come in, he will be a great safety, that and he should resign Fergy to start at strong safety, next year we could get Kevin Ellison and be set for years.

Phillips is better than DeCoud.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                    Phillips is better than DeCoud.
                    Maybe not everyone agrees that Phillips is the savior safety you believe he is Max!

I would rather have Jamar Adams or Marcus Griffin over Phillips, sometimes some of us just do not agree...that is why a board is for opinions...lol.

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
                      Maybe not everyone agrees that Phillips is the savior safety you believe he is Max!

I would rather have Jamar Adams or Marcus Griffin over Phillips, sometimes some of us just do not agree...that is why a board is for opinions...lol.

I know and I'm expressing mine. When did I ever claim Phillips is a savior safety too?

Comment

If Lynch does retire, drafting Phillips with our first round pick would not only be a huge mistake, but an act of desperation. Dude isn't anywhere near that talent level, and the prospects at S next year, we could pull out a quality player with our 3rd.

Please don't be stupid and draft Kenny Phillips, DEnver. We don't want another Roy Williams at the expense of our #12 overall pick.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                          If Lynch does retire, drafting Phillips with our first round pick would not only be a huge mistake, but an act of desperation. Dude isn't anywhere near that talent level, and the prospects at S next year, we could pull out a quality player with our 3rd.

Please don't be stupid and draft Kenny Phillips, DEnver. We don't want another Roy Williams at the expense of our #12 overall pick.
                          :clap: Excellent point! CP coming...

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post

Phillips isn't anywhere near that talent level? What?? A three time All-American and All-ACC performer and a highly-touted 5 star recruit out of high school isn't very talented? 6'2" 215 lbs. with 4.4 speed isn't talented?

I watched 6 or 7 Miami games this year, and I focused on Phillips a lot. He got burned a few times in coverage and took some bad angles but overall he was solid. Usually it was Randy Phillips or Glenn Sharpe getting beat for the big play in coverage. KP was by far their most consistent performer in the secondary, and best player on D along with Gooden. KP and Gooden are playmakers, but suffered on a defense devoid of discipline and playmakers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if he's on USC or LSU there is no doubt he is a top 15 selection.
                            Last edited by Max Power; 01-29-2008, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Power View Post
                              Phillips isn't anywhere near that talent level? What?? A three time All-American and All-ACC performer and a highly-touted 5 star recruit out of high school isn't very talented? 6'2" 215 lbs. with 4.4 speed isn't talented?

I watched 6 or 7 Miami games this year, and I focused on Phillips a lot. He got burned a few times in coverage and took some bad angles but overall he was solid. Usually it was Randy Phillips or Glenn Sharpe getting beat for the big play in coverage. KP was by far their most consistent performer in the secondary, and best player on D along with Gooden. KP and Gooden are playmakers, but suffered on a defense devoid of discipline and playmakers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if he's on USC or LSU there is no doubt he is a top 15 selection.
                              He's already a top 15 pick.

Comment

Working...
                              X