Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Lynch Does Retire...What We Will Do To Replace Him?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I say draft one no matter what

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Max Power View Post
      Phillips isn't anywhere near that talent level? What?? A three time All-American and All-ACC performer and a highly-touted 5 star recruit out of high school isn't very talented? 6'2" 215 lbs. with 4.4 speed isn't talented?

      I watched 6 or 7 Miami games this year, and I focused on Phillips a lot. He got burned a few times in coverage and took some bad angles but overall he was solid. Usually it was Randy Phillips or Glenn Sharpe getting beat for the big play in coverage. KP was by far their most consistent performer in the secondary, and best player on D along with Gooden. KP and Gooden are playmakers, but suffered on a defense devoid of discipline and playmakers.

      I've said it before and I'll say it again, if he's on USC or LSU there is no doubt he is a top 15 selection.
      I've followed his entire career at Miami. Who cares what his credentials are, that doesn't automatically mean he's going to pan out in the NFL.

      If he was on USC/LSU, his stock would go down even further IMHO because he wouldn't have been making the plays covering for his teammates like he did in Miami.

      Don't get me wrong. He has a lot of potential and he could be a solid player in the NFL. But let's not kid ourselves. He isn't anywhere in the same talent realm as Ed Reed or Sean Taylor from the U. He's a solid open field player, but he's a liability in coverage, something that isn't supposed to be an attribute of a top half of the first round selection.

      He's a one dimensional S at the NFL level IMHO. One dimensional Safety's shouldn't go in the first round at all, IMHO.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
        I've followed his entire career at Miami. Who cares what his credentials are, that doesn't automatically mean he's going to pan out in the NFL.

        If he was on USC/LSU, his stock would go down even further IMHO because he wouldn't have been making the plays covering for his teammates like he did in Miami.

        Don't get me wrong. He has a lot of potential and he could be a solid player in the NFL. But let's not kid ourselves. He isn't anywhere in the same talent realm as Ed Reed or Sean Taylor from the U. He's a solid open field player, but he's a liability in coverage, something that isn't supposed to be an attribute of a top half of the first round selection.

        He's a one dimensional S at the NFL level IMHO. One dimensional Safety's shouldn't go in the first round at all, IMHO.
        If he was on USC/LSU, he wouldn't have had to been on the field nearly as much, and the superior talent around him would have helped him become the playmaker he was supposed to be coming out of HS.

        Phillips is better in coverage than you think, but I agree that run support is what he's best at. Talent-wise I maintain that is he better than you give him credit for. He's definitely not at the level of Sean Taylor though, he was a rare physical freak and crushed people routinely. Reed however, had question marks about his size and ability to hold up against the run coming out, even though he had all the college credentials in the world.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Max Power View Post
          If he was on USC/LSU, he wouldn't have had to been on the field nearly as much, and the superior talent around him would have helped him become the playmaker he was supposed to be coming out of HS.
          That's the thing though, he wouldn't be on the field as much to make plays, and he wouldn't have had the opportunity to make plays if his teammates are making his plays.

          There are a lot of Miami fans that say he's a very good player, but his stock is over hyped.

          S's are an enigma in the NFL. Unless they are elite standards like Reed, Sanders, Polomalou, they are a dime a dozen. I don't see him as an elite S at the NFL, and even though we need S help, there's much better talent to take in different positions with the #12 pick.

          Comment


          • #20
            Ken Hamlin Is A Fa, We Pick Him Up And Draft Kenny Phillips

            Comment


            • #21
              Sign James Sanders, draft Phillips!!!

              Originally posted by Max Power View Post
              If he was on USC/LSU, he wouldn't have had to been on the field nearly as much, and the superior talent around him would have helped him become the playmaker he was supposed to be coming out of HS.

              Phillips is better in coverage than you think, but I agree that run support is what he's best at. Talent-wise I maintain that is he better than you give him credit for. He's definitely not at the level of Sean Taylor though, he was a rare physical freak and crushed people routinely. Reed however, had question marks about his size and ability to hold up against the run coming out, even though he had all the college credentials in the world.
              None of the safeties on last year's roster were good at coverage either (Lynch, Ferguson). Matter of fact, a lot the star safeties we've had were not good in coverage (Atwater, Smith). The only good coverage safety we had the last 10-15 is Tyrone Braxton that I can remember after being moved from corner.
              Well, to comment on the quote. Draft Phillips and don't make the mistake when we could have drafted Reggie Nelson last year who panned out very well for the Jags. Sign James Sanders from the Pats who is decent in all aspects of the safety roll and was labeled the best satefy in his draft class. Although, he has not lived up to it. He still can play and we can sign him for a cheap price for a guy with a lot of experience and is still very young.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                I've followed his entire career at Miami. Who cares what his credentials are, that doesn't automatically mean he's going to pan out in the NFL.

                If he was on USC/LSU, his stock would go down even further IMHO because he wouldn't have been making the plays covering for his teammates like he did in Miami.

                Don't get me wrong. He has a lot of potential and he could be a solid player in the NFL. But let's not kid ourselves. He isn't anywhere in the same talent realm as Ed Reed or Sean Taylor from the U. He's a solid open field player, but he's a liability in coverage, something that isn't supposed to be an attribute of a top half of the first round selection.

                He's a one dimensional S at the NFL level IMHO. One dimensional Safety's shouldn't go in the first round at all, IMHO.

                This is purely to point down your whole "his credentials don't matter" on FO a couple weeks ago (can't find the link now) it showed how much college accolades play into pro success.... and the defensive stuff was MUCH more important... cuz it isn't as much about the system...

                Take it or leave it I just wanted to share that

                I think Phillips will be a good player... but I can see us goin elsewhere too as I dunno if Shanny would draft a safety that high
                Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                Tweet me @JoRo_5551

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by JoRo View Post
                  This is purely to point down your whole "his credentials don't matter" on FO a couple weeks ago (can't find the link now) it showed how much college accolades play into pro success.... and the defensive stuff was MUCH more important... cuz it isn't as much about the system...

                  Take it or leave it I just wanted to share that

                  I think Phillips will be a good player... but I can see us goin elsewhere too as I dunno if Shanny would draft a safety that high
                  Well, I don't think what kind of recruit you were coming out of high school says much.

                  And I'm not hating on Phillips at all, I think he could be a bangup NFL player. But for the #12 pick, I wouldn't put him in the elite prospect category of a S to draft him at that position.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    If Lynch Does Retire...What We Will Do To Replace Him?

                    Throw a party, get some Hooker's N Blow and celebrate. I could get a blow up sex doll, strap a jersey on it, throw it in the secondary and call it even steven. I would really like to see an improvement back there, unfortunately with the Safety Cast the Broncos are currently toting, any crack deprived madman off of Colfax could probably be competitive and play through injuries better. Best of Luck in Retirement Chump ...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X