2002 19 Ashley Lelie WR Hawaii
    2001 24 Willie Middlebrooks CB Minnesota
    2000 15 Deltha O'Neal CB California
    1999 31 Al Wilson LB TennesseeGreat pick but injury ended career
    1998 30 Marcus Nash WR Tennessee
    1997 28 Trevor Pryce DE Clemson
    1996 15 John Mobley LB Kutztown State
    Great pick but injury ended career

Imma highlight the one not on the team or who were busts.We have only one player from 1996-2004 draft who was a first round pick still on the team.

WOW, you figured all that out by yourself? I think all of us on this board knows that the Broncos have been horrible at the draft before '06. And it has come back to haunt us. Still, the stuff that are killing us now, can be fixed.
    lulz @ the Patriots

www.youtube.com/JayCutler4MVP

RIP DARRENT WILLIAMS
    RIP DAMIEN NASH
    RIP SEAN TAYLOR
    RIP BFC
    RIP Sneakers the Cat

Comment

What do they do to fix the problem? If its a question of player evaluation. Then change the evaluators. If its the "little man", Then we are up a creek. Honestly Marv, I lost hope in our teams' college scouts and our draft strategy a long time ago. We seem to aim high but constantly miss the mark.

Now there have been times that we have found good players, (r.i.p. D.Will) but it seems like were shooting with a shotgun, when you draft three players in the same position one will usually work out.

But hey, If knew how to fix the problem, I would be much better paid .

Comment

Wow, I never would have guessed. Once again, you point out something obvious.

George Foster just didn't fit the OL scheme.
        Ashley Lelie was good, could have been great if his attitude didn't get in the way and if he could go across the middle maybe once in a while. He was a real deep threat.
        The rest... no explanation needed.

I still like Deltha O'Neal though.

Comment

Originally posted by MarvinWillis View Post
          Year Sel # Player Position School
          2005 -- No Pick -- --
          2004 17 D.J. Williams LB Miami (Fla.)
          2003 20 George Foster OT Georgia

Imma highlight the one not on the team or who were busts.We have only one player from 1996-2004 draft who was a first round pick still on the team.
          Not only that, Marvin, but the 2nd round thru 7th round picks in these drafts have failed to even produce depth.

For the most part, the draft has been a tool that the Broncos just don't know how to use, it's a miter saw to a computer geek......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
            it's a miter saw to a computer geek......
            Chop saws are way more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by shafer View Post
              What do they do to fix the problem? If its a question of player evaluation. Then change the evaluators. If its the "little man", Then we are up a creek. Honestly Marv, I lost hope in our teams' college scouts and our draft strategy a long time ago. We seem to aim high but constantly miss the mark.

Now there have been times that we have found good players, (r.i.p. D.Will) but it seems like were shooting with a shotgun, when you draft three players in the same position one will usually work out.

But hey, If knew how to fix the problem, I would be much better paid .
              Originally posted by stnzed View Post
              Not only that, Marvin, but the 2nd round thru 7th round picks in these drafts have failed to even produce depth.

For the most part, the draft has been a tool that the Broncos just don't know how to use, it's a miter saw to a computer geek......
              Seem like only 2 people who posted in this thread is mature enough to not have some smart comments about someone elses thread. Not every broncos fan know that, we only have 1 player still on our team from the first round 1996-2004.
              Well Deltha Oneal, cannot cover what happened after that 10 int season with the bengals???

Comment

Mobley and Pryce were pretty good with their time here. So I guess those were decent picks.

Comment

2005 -- No Pick -- --

it's easy to look at the list and shriek but look at it closely. only about four of them were busts. and we wouldn't be the first team to bomb on a first round pick and i'd think all the late round gems we've found over the years would make up. but let's look at the list...

mobley. like you said, great pick but got hurt. out of our hands.

trevor pryce. great pick. we got some great years out of him. if i remember right, he just wanted too much money. i think we were right to let him go. he went to baltimore and played well but he oculd've went to a lesser defense and played worse. fact is he wasn't going to be worth what he was asking here. he got greedy. i wouldn't blame shanny for this.

marcus nash. bombed.

al wilson. do i need to say anything?

o'neal. he had his moments. wasn't a horrible pick. just was inconsistent. he was great pick a couple weeks then a bust for another week.

middlebrooks. bust.

lelie. i wouldn't call him a bust. he was a great fit on our team. we utilized him as much as we could and did a great job considering we had one of the worst long ball passers in the game, and a guy who was as accurate as mcnabb on a chunky soup bender. he hit 1000 yards and contributed well until he too got a little greedy and bought his own hype. i wouldn't call him a bust and his greed wasn't something we could control.

foster. this guy was a human turnstyle. but-to shanny's credit, he was able to turn george foster and a useless running back into dre bly. how many other gms can do that with their inevitable busts? so i won't hold this against him in the least.

williams. obviously a stud. poor guy's been position swapped about a dozen times in as many years, has never had decent DTs in front of him and has gone from coordinator to coordinator and still plays awesome.

so to me, it's not as big a deal as it looks on the surface. look at it this way. nash was a bust but we won anyway, and now we have brandon marshall. we didn't lose anywhere from millenium til now.

we drafted middlebrooks but who is complaining now that we have, and don't listen to this overblown cromartie crap, the best corner in football? and dre bly beside him, who didn't play as bad as people are saying. and two capable #3 and #4 corners behind them. we didn't lose from 2001 until we got them. we stayed a winner. even a contender.

so i think it just looks like a bigger deal than it is. and of course every fan of another team wanting to rip on us will just blindly point and scream like it's this huge negative.
                  Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                  Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaPirateFunk View Post
                    it's easy to look at the list and shriek but look at it closely. only about four of them were busts.

Agreed. Marvin, for the purpose of making your point, I don't really think it's fair (or effective, either) to highlight Wilson, Mobley, Pryce (and maybe even O'Neal - I still remember that game against KC back awhile ago when Deltha picked Trent Green off 3 times). I mean, had he been a 1st-rounder in '05, you probably would've highlighted Darrent Williams' name too, right? True these guys may not still be on our team, but how on earth were they bad picks???

Last edited by sbutk; 01-31-2008, 08:46 AM.
                    sigpic
                    They're your teammates, now.
                    Best of luck, TT!
                    ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

Thank you for that insightful post!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ArchAngel View Post
                        Thank you for that insightful post!

Right back at cha...:thumb:...

Comment

2005 -- No Pick -- --

'05 could not be called a complete bust though. We got 3 great corners (D-Will is sadly no longer here). Foxworth and Paymah have been devloping nicely behind Bailey and Bly and will ony get better with time.

Comment

Anybody who would want Deltha back as a Bronco should take a loot at his pass covering skills.

Oooh.. 10 interceptions!

Not bad... a great FF stat, but how about the real stat of shutting down a WR?

Comment

Originally posted by NickTranOwnz View Post
                              Chop saws are way more fun.
                              Actually a miter saw is a chop saw. Unless your definition of a chop saw is different than mine.

Yea our draft picks have been terrible. I'm not sure it's going to get better under the current administration.

Surprise us Coach. Please.

Comment

Working...
                              X