No announcement yet.

This is what is killing us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is yet another reason why we draft a position this year at 12 that we know will succeed, RB, I feel this is the position that will least likely produce a bust, we will have our pick from 3 great RB's in Jonathan Stewart, Rashard Mendenhall, and Felix Jones, while I feel we will have to stay at 12 to get Stewart, we can probably trade down to get one of the other two!!!

Comment

Originally posted by slick7 View Post
      Yea our draft picks have been terrible. I'm not sure it's going to get better under the current administration.

Surprise us Coach. Please.
      Yeah, boy, the Cutler guy, B. Marshall, Dumervil, Kuper, Myers, Scheffler, those guys are terrible, please do better, coach . . .

Comment

Originally posted by jonny1 View Post
        Yeah, boy, the Cutler guy, B. Marshall, Dumervil, Kuper, Myers, Scheffler, those guys are terrible, please do better, coach . . .
        Funny, you bring up guys from the past two drafts....where's everyone else?

Oh yea, out of the league or riding the bench on another team.

You can't give him kudos for those players without bringing up the scrub picks.

I like Mike Shanahan, but to say he is good at drafting is absurd.

The last two years have been an improvement, I'll give you that, and he found a borderline pro bowl corner that could return kicks and punts better than anyone we've had since Rick Upchurch, sadly you know how that story turned out.

Comment

The last two years have been an improvement, I'll give you that, and he found a borderline pro bowl corner that could return kicks and punts better than anyone we've had since Rick Upchurch, sadly you know how that story turned out.
          The point it that you stated the drafts wouldn't get better, but they have in the last three years (which you even agree with), so your thinking was flawed.

I brought up the good players because you ignored them.

Comment

Agreed you can't ignore the bad....but you also can't ignore the good! The initial post conveniently stopped at 2005 - where the Broncos had no number 1 (it was traded - quite shrewdly btw, to Washington for their 2006 #1). Why? Because to list the success that the Broncos had in 2005 (after the first round), 2006, and the potential shown by the class of 2007 would be counter productive to making his/her point. Show the bad and good!

Obviously the Broncos need to keep the trend of 2005, 2006, 2007 going. In reality, starting with 2005, I'm not sure you'd find too many teams that have done as well - top to bottom - as the Broncos have (again, taking 2007 with a grain of salt right now) - particularly when you factor in where the Broncos fell in the draft (positioning).

Comment

Originally posted by neutessa View Post
              Agreed you can't ignore the bad....but you also can't ignore the good! The initial post conveniently stopped at 2005 - where the Broncos had no number 1 (it was traded - quite shrewdly btw, to Washington for their 2006 #1). Why? Because to list the success that the Broncos had in 2005 (after the first round), 2006, and the potential shown by the class of 2007 would be counter productive to making his/her point. Show the bad and good!

Obviously the Broncos need to keep the trend of 2005, 2006, 2007 going. In reality, starting with 2005, I'm not sure you'd find too many teams that have done as well - top to bottom - as the Broncos have (again, taking 2007 with a grain of salt right now) - particularly when you factor in where the Broncos fell in the draft (positioning).
              Agreed. Drafting has shown some promise on both sides of the ball. One area which needs improvement is drafting guys who can fill ST roles as well. I think a solid draft this season could instantly improve the team in this area and will start paying dividends in 2 years as these players grow into quality starters.

As far as filling urgent needs such as DT and possibly WR, trades/FA is the way to go. The draft shouldn't be used to fill starter positions now, but to shore up depth and get some players on ST.
              "Pey-Pey to Bay-Bay for the Tay Day!!"

sigpic

Comment

As others have stated, the drafting could have been better in years past but you can't argue that Shanahan and company haved turned it around a vew years ago starting with the Dwill draft and company. Shannahan has stated this himself.

Comment

Working...
                X