Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Since this year the RB competition has been fierce(at least, so far here in the rooms it has been), if you were going to create your dream team, who would be your starting RB and your back up?

1st string - Barry Sanders: extremely quick and elusive, strong and durable, a good receiver out of the backfield, always a threat to take it to the house, great character, and in my mind, the greatest back to ever carry a pigskin.

2nd string - Emmitt Smith: only reason I picked him over TD is because although Emmitt owns the rushing record, I think he should know where he really stands when it comes to the greatest backs.
    Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
    Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
    Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

(1) Walter "sweetness" Payton

(2) John Elway (I would put him at HB )

Comment

I'd start Barry Sanders at halfback, and Earl Campbell at fullback.
      I'm Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead.

Nebraska's new quarter with the Sooner Schooner running right over the state of Nebraska. A sign of things to come? =)

Comment

Jim Brown at HB and Mike Alstot at FB
        sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Re: Question

Originally posted by diesel51
          Since this year the RB competition has been fierce(at least, so far here in the rooms it has been), if you were going to create your dream team, who would be your starting RB and your back up?

1st string - Barry Sanders: extremely quick and elusive, strong and durable, a good receiver out of the backfield, always a threat to take it to the house, great character, and in my mind, the greatest back to ever carry a pigskin.

2nd string - Emmitt Smith: only reason I picked him over TD is because although Emmitt owns the rushing record, I think he should know where he really stands when it comes to the greatest backs.
          I think your opinion shows a lack of understanding. Smith was considered on par with Sanders when he was in his prime. Smith got to play on three Championship teams he won the League rushing title 3 times. He would not have ever achieved that kind of success if he were not an great back.

I guess by your comments you probably never saw Walter Payton play. He was on winner the last couple years of his career, but the vast majority of it was spent on very poor teams. He's the only back I know of who played an entire season on bad and still rushed for a 1000 yards and had an dreadful offensive line blocking for him.
          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Re: Re: Question

Originally posted by TXBRONC
            I think your opinion shows a lack of understanding. Smith was considered on par with Sanders when he was in his prime. Smith got to play on three Championship teams he won the League rushing title 3 times. He would not have ever achieved that kind of success if he were not an great back.

I guess by your comments you probably never saw Walter Payton play. He was on winner the last couple years of his career, but the vast majority of it was spent on very poor teams. He's the only back I know of who played an entire season on bad and still rushed for a 1000 yards and had an dreadful offensive line blocking for him.
            Might not be a lack of understanding, but of age. If he didn't watch football in the mid 80's he might not know as much about Payton or some of the others. This is just a guess on my part.
            Emmitt was an outstanding running back, but I don't think he would have amassed the yards Sanders had behind Detroit's line.

Nebraska's new quarter with the Sooner Schooner running right over the state of Nebraska. A sign of things to come? =)

Comment

I'd Like to have Sanders and LT heheheh :p for me LT will be the all time best back... :p

Look at this guy!!! He is kicking some asses!!!

|||||Broncos Rulez|||||

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Question

Originally posted by mrsolo
                Might not be a lack of understanding, but of age. If he didn't watch football in the mid 80's he might not know as much about Payton or some of the others. This is just a guess on my part.
                Emmitt was an outstanding running back, but I don't think he would have amassed the yards Sanders had behind Detroit's line.
                Another good Quote from you we are on the same page I think!!
                sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

thank ya, thank ya, thank ya very much

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Question

Apparently he heard of both of them. It cannot be proven one way or the other what Smith would have done in Detriot. It comes across to me as penalizing Emmitt because he was on good teams.
                    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

It definitely is a lack of age concerning Sweetness. However, my comment about smith isn't that much of a crack against his skills as you might think. I've been making this argument in my family for years(we live in Henryetta, OK, home of Troy Aikman, so this Emmitt is the greatest thing has been going on for a long time). As mentioned before, on another thread I believe, Barry Sanders holds the records for the most carries for a loss. With the DL getting that much of a push against the OL of Detriot, it is amazing that Barry averaged 5 yards a carry. A seven yard gain for Barry Sanders would consist of getting the ball 4 or 5 yards behind the line, make DT miss, find hole, get to hole and make LB miss with sick spin move, juke next LB, then getting hit by other LB, FS, CB, and DE for a seven yard gain. Smith had maybe one of the greatest offensive lines in the history of the NFL, by far the best that I've seen in my limited viewing. A seven yard gain for Emmitt Smith generally consisted of his offensive line getting a 3 yard push, Daryle "Moose" Johnson plowing a LB off his feet, and Smith going down with the seven yards gained. If those two had been on the others' teams, Barry would have averaged 180 yards a game, and Emmitt would have retired after 7 seasons.
                      Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
                      Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
                      Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                        Apparently he heard of both of them. It cannot be proven one way or the other what Smith would have done in Detriot. It comes across to me as penalizing Emmitt because he was on good teams.
                        Yes and no. There was a comparison during a season that Barry won the rushing title. I'm guessing from memory on the numbers, but Emmitt's initial cut after handoff was 2+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Barry's was 1.5 or so behind the line. Yet, Barry averaged more yards per carry and had more total. I'm not bashing Emmitt by any means. I believe Emmitt had more tools as a complete back(blocking, receiving). Barry was easily a better "pure runner". I'll see what I can do about finding those stats I mentioned.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question

Yes and no. There was a comparison during a season that Barry won the rushing title. I'm guessing from memory on the numbers, but Emmitt's initial cut after handoff was 2+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Barry's was 1.5 or so behind the line. Yet, Barry averaged more yards per carry and had more total. I'm not bashing Emmitt by any means. I believe Emmitt had more tools as a complete back(blocking, receiving). Barry was easily a better "pure runner". I'll see what I can do about finding those stats I mentioned.
                          Can you imagine if Barry and Emmitt had traded places, man I would bet if Barry still would have retired after 10 years he would have blown the record out of the water if he ran behind that Dallas O-Line, while Emmit would have just been Mediocore
                          sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Originally posted by westflbroncostud
                            emmitt is overrated!!!!
                            Some would say the same thing about all of our Bronco RB of the last few years our line kicks a$$ that is why I think our running game will still be good no matter who touches the ball 20+ times this year could it be that most RB are overratted?!?!
                            sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Originally posted by westflbroncostud
                              no.....td did it year in and year out...the overrated ones are olandis gary and possibily mike anderson
                              Agree.....

Look at this guy!!! He is kicking some asses!!!

|||||Broncos Rulez|||||

Comment

Working...
                              X