Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diesel51
    It definitely is a lack of age concerning Sweetness. However, my comment about smith isn't that much of a crack against his skills as you might think. I've been making this argument in my family for years(we live in Henryetta, OK, home of Troy Aikman, so this Emmitt is the greatest thing has been going on for a long time). As mentioned before, on another thread I believe, Barry Sanders holds the records for the most carries for a loss. With the DL getting that much of a push against the OL of Detriot, it is amazing that Barry averaged 5 yards a carry. A seven yard gain for Barry Sanders would consist of getting the ball 4 or 5 yards behind the line, make DT miss, find hole, get to hole and make LB miss with sick spin move, juke next LB, then getting hit by other LB, FS, CB, and DE for a seven yard gain. Smith had maybe one of the greatest offensive lines in the history of the NFL, by far the best that I've seen in my limited viewing. A seven yard gain for Emmitt Smith generally consisted of his offensive line getting a 3 yard push, Daryle "Moose" Johnson plowing a LB off his feet, and Smith going down with the seven yards gained. If those two had been on the others' teams, Barry would have averaged 180 yards a game, and Emmitt would have retired after 7 seasons.

I know about Barry and Emmitt watched both of them play the game, and what you're doing is down playing Emmitt's accomplishments because he had great offensive line in front of him.

Can prove beyond a showdow of a that Barry would have average 180 yare a game? Can you prove that Emmitt would be done after just 7 seasons. If anyone is take that last statement of your seriously which I don't use the scientific meithod to prove your assersion. I hope you realize that means you have put each of those backs in those different offensive system to see how they would do.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Man, it is just my opinion. Obviously, there is no way to tell who would have been better. But having a good team can contribute to one's success. Examples; Hershel Walker, Orlandis Gary - when those two were traded to different teams with different lines, they didn't do near as well. Emmitt was a great running back, it's just that Barry was the best. Barry Sanders was Michael Jordan to Emmitt's Scottie Pippin.
      Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
      Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
      Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by westflbroncostud
        no.....td did it year in and year out...the overrated ones are olandis gary and possibily mike anderson
        Right on hard to arue with that
        sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question

Originally posted by mrsolo
          Yes and no. There was a comparison during a season that Barry won the rushing title. I'm guessing from memory on the numbers, but Emmitt's initial cut after handoff was 2+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Barry's was 1.5 or so behind the line. Yet, Barry averaged more yards per carry and had more total. I'm not bashing Emmitt by any means. I believe Emmitt had more tools as a complete back(blocking, receiving). Barry was easily a better "pure runner". I'll see what I can do about finding those stats I mentioned.
          No it either it can prove or can't its not yes or no that's not answer. I know the stats you're refering to however if going to proven beyond a doubt the only way to do that is put each of them in others offense and observe and that can't be done.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question

Originally posted by TXBRONC
            No it either it can prove or can't its not yes or no that's not answer. I know the stats you're refering to however if going to proven beyond a doubt the only way to do that is put each of them in others offense and observe and that can't be done.
            "It comes across to me as penalizing Emmitt because he was on good teams."

Originally posted by mrsolo
            Yes and no. There was a comparison during a season that Barry won the rushing title. I'm guessing from memory on the numbers, but Emmitt's initial cut after handoff was 2+ yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Barry's was 1.5 or so behind the line. Yet, Barry averaged more yards per carry and had more total. I'm not bashing Emmitt by any means. I believe Emmitt had more tools as a complete back(blocking, receiving). Barry was easily a better "pure runner". I'll see what I can do about finding those stats I mentioned.

that's the comment I was "yes or no"ing to
            I'm Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead.

Nebraska's new quarter with the Sooner Schooner running right over the state of Nebraska. A sign of things to come? =)

Comment

I thought this writer made some interesting points:

"So what separates Smith and Sanders? One thing and one thing only. Speedy elusiveness. Smith, despite standing only 5-foot-9, is a power back. He runs inside as well as anyone, letting his linemen set up their blocks and reading them perfectly before accelerating through holes other backs cannot reach. He’s a slasher, and it has allowed him to average 4.46 yards per carry, fourth highest all-time, while carrying the ball an incredible average of 334 times a season. He also is the toughest hombre in Dallas and maybe anywhere else, playing hurt time after time, including in memorable games against the Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants two seasons ago. Few other runners could have ignored the level of pain with which he managed to play. When I watch him, I see tremendous leg strength, Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator **** LeBeau said. He has as much speed as he needs. He gets through cracks other running backs don’t and his initial acceleration is exceptional. An arm tackle doesn’t slow him down, let alone get him down. He’s unique. Strong. As for his rumored lack of speed, his mother Mary once had the best explanation of that issue. They say he doesn’t run fast, but I’ve never seen him have to run any faster than he does, have you? she asked. Mary Smith had a good point.

Yet there is no comparing the two when it comes to that key factor. While Sanders, at 5-8, 203 pounds, might not be quite as strong an inside runner as Smith, he seldom stays inside for long, even when he intends to go there. Tackling him is like tackling a bucket full of eels. You may get a grasp on something, but you’re never sure of what or for how long you’ll hold it because one second Barry Sanders is right there and then he’s gone. He worries the death out of you, Chicago Bears’ linebacker Joe Cain said last season. Every time he gets his hands on the ball, there’s the threat he’s going to bang his head on the goal post. That can leave defenders feeling as if they’re banging their heads against a wall. While Smith is shifty and possesses great balance, vision and strength, Sanders has all of that and is also as elusive and flat out fast as any back in NFL history. He is a stunning combination of sharp cuts, darting moves, eyes that see every opening in a defense and legs so fast and powerful they can get him through those openings even if they happen to be across the field. He’s like a home-run hitter, former Lions’ Pro bowl tackle Lomas Brown said. You may strike him out some, but if he ever catches one, it’s gone. If he gets opportunities to run, we knew he was going to break one. It is that explosive potential that separates Barry Sanders from Emmitt Smith, although there is not much separation between them, to be honest. While Smith has four rushing titles to Sanders’ two over the past six seasons, Sanders is averaging 4.9 yards per carry in his career on an average of 297 carries a season, meaning he has done more with less both in terms of carries and, more importantly, in terms of the team for which he has played. So if you’ve got to go to the prom with just one date, take Cindy Crawford. And if you’ve got to go to the line of scrimmage with just one back, take Barry Sanders. But if you get stuck with the other two, weep no tears. Things could be worse. A lot worse. "

By Ron Borges: Ron Borges writes twice weekly for MSNBC on the Internet and covers the NFL and boxing for the Boston Globe.
              I'm Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead.

Nebraska's new quarter with the Sooner Schooner running right over the state of Nebraska. A sign of things to come? =)

Comment

Originally posted by Helderht_
                I'd Like to have Sanders and LT heheheh :p for me LT will be the all time best back... :p
                Yea i really do think LT will be a top 3, cuz i mean, look wut he does in SD....
                Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by westflbroncostud
                  you know you agree with me! and to add to that why didnt anyone do it before td? why didnt mike and olandis do it after there superstar year?
                  If you're talking about 1000+ yard rusher it there was a different scheme Shanahan and Gibbs weren't even in Denver before 1995 as you may recall. Part of the reason that Anderson didn't duplicate that season was because injuries. You may recall That in Anderson second season Mac broke his leg so teams started loading eight men in the box to stuff the run, since Griese wasn't really throwing to anyone but Smith. Gary if I'm not mistake was in and out of the line up with injuries.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                  X