Cutler's progression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutler's progression

Assuming we have a good draft and possibly address needs through FA, how should we expect jay to develop this season? What numbers should we expect from him?

I just want Jay to scan the field more.

Too many times, he stared down one guy... now that could've been because of the crap pass protection, but hopefully he learns to scan the field.

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post

Too many times, he stared down one guy... now that could've been because of the crap pass protection, but hopefully he learns to scan the field.
      I thought Jay did a fantastic job of going through his progressions and dumping the ball off when needed. He did well, especially for a 2nd year (first year starting) guy. Very impressed with that about him.

Comment

3500 yards 24tds 65 % compl

Comment

I think Jay will have a probowl year!

Comment

If he has time to throw, I'm sure he will go thru his progressions and make the right throws. He is young and like all young QB's, When he gets pressured, he will try to force the ball in tight spots on the field. My question is how well can the O-line protect him????
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Justblaze2729 View Post
              3500 yards 24tds 65 % compl
              It was actually 21 TDs.
              sigpic

Comment

I do agree...but I will say that he did a better job as the year went on but there were times he did focus on just one receiver. When he did lock on to one receiver he had a tendency to throw the ball covered or not!

I think Jay tries and beat the coverage with his arm a little to much! At times it turns out good but there were times that it would have benefited the team if he would have found his check down instead of trying to zip it in there. This was also evident when we did play action and tried to hit a receiver deep, Jay would ALWAYS go for the deep guy even when the underneath guy was probably the best choice.

But overall I think he is great and did a good job last year...in my opinion he can only get better! Plus he is working real hard this offseason to ensure he does good this year! So I would like to Jay for his hard work and dedication!

-Joe
                To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.

sigpic

Comment

Jay has great natural ability, and if you asked me who likewise is as capable in that area the two I would have to say are J. Russell of Oakland and P. Manning of Indianapolis, while T. Brady of New England has some of that, to me he was far better coached then the other three were or will be and that is not a knock on him at all. Like the four mentioned above Aikman, Elway, Marino, Bradshaw and Kelly were all naturals who just made things happen. The one thing that stands out which Cutler could use and he has not been coached is pump fakes, which several of the others have used to spread the field or slight coverage and open up more receivers...if Cutler can get that down he will be mentioned in the same breath IMHO as some of the others I mentioned, likewise Russell has similar abilities and if coached right I think he will to be among the giants in the league as well.

Comment

Not really an expectation as much as this is a hope, and I hope that he has better numbers than certain QB on a certain AFC West team that acted very immaturely.

I expect him to look hot. There I said it. That's my expectation.

Comment

You're right, imo.

Whether or not he's not scanning the field, I don't know (He must reading the coverages pretty well, imo), but he needs to stop Bird-doggin. He can look off the defender, but too often doesn't even bother.

He should be working on his footwork too, keeping his feet moving......
                      Last edited by stnzed; 03-07-2008, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                        It was actually 21 TDs.
                        i didnt know know u could tell the future, those numbers are wat i think hell have this year not last year and it was 20 td's

Comment

IMO Jay looked great for a 1st year starting QB (basically a rookie) on a team with no pass protection and a sketchy running game.

The area I hope he can improve on is turnovers. Jay did have 14 INT's and 11 Fumbles. I hope to see more games with No interceptions or fumbles.

I think we will see him improve in just about every aspect. He looked better in 07 than he did in the 06 season, so he will continue to improve!

Comment

Interesting stats with our QB in his first full season as a starter and (arguably) the best QB in football's first full season as a starter.

Peyton Manning:
                            3-13, 326 for 575, 56.7 comp%, 3,739 yards, 6.5 ypc, 26 TD, 28 INT, 71.2 QB rating

Jay Cutler:
                            7-9, 297 for 467, 63.6 comp%, 3,497 yards, 7.5 ypc, 20 TD, 14 INT, 88.1 QB rating

Granted, Peyton was a rookie and had less weapons around him, but I think Jay has potential to be a top five QB in the NFL at some point.
                            Owned:
                            sigpic

Comment

I just hope he gets through the year without serious injury. The line is suspect at best. Even if we have an incredible draft in the way of offensive line, it will be at least 2 years before they will gel. I just don't want to see another one of those sacks like at Detroit last year were 3 guys hit Jay simultaneously! I still can't believe his leg wasn't broken. Jay's a great QB, but bad line play will hurt his production is my projection.

Comment

Working...
                              X