Bell-Portis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To quote Mikey yesterday

“This is basic math. They have a rookie pool, they have a percentage of increase, and all those type of things. Hopefully we'll get something done shortly."
    Denver is offering more than a 6 percent raise over what the player drafted at No. 41, Houston tight end Bennie Joppru, received last season - a four-year, $3 million deal that included a $1.635 million signing bonus.
    "I was annoyed the first day, but that's neither here nor there," Shanahan said. "He's just hurt himself, so hopefully it gets done. We've always been fair with our players and hopefully we'll get things done."

Sounds like a problem kid to me hope he is not poorti$$ redux!

Comment

Portis is the sameway he runs to high and that contributes to injury problems.
      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
        Portis is the sameway he runs to high and that contributes to injury problems.
        Whereas Q is so low to the ground, few people really get a good lick on him. His center on gravity is about my knees.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton
          Whereas Q is so low to the ground, few people really get a good lick on him. His center on gravity is about my knees.
          yeah, and he has moves portis doesnt at the 2nd level(INDY turf). He goes down w/ arm tackles a little to easy for my taste. Though I havent seen ANY of his college, and base my opinion soley on what i saw last season, which isnt much.

Comment

Originally posted by dr0p
            yeah, and he has moves portis doesnt at the 2nd level(INDY turf). He goes down w/ arm tackles a little to easy for my taste. Though I havent seen ANY of his college, and base my opinion soley on what i saw last season, which isnt much.
            With the excetion of the INDY game he was not in the line up enuff to get into the groove. So he gets knocked off his feet 15 yards down field I'll take that all day.

Comment

With the excetion of the INDY game he was not in the line up enuff to get into the groove. So he gets knocked off his feet 15 yards down field I'll take that all day.
              I agree, as long as he doesnt take those arm tackles on the line.lol

Comment

Originally posted by kwc1210
                No u wouldn't man! People forget this isn't all fun and games, these guys work until they are physically exauhsted, day in and day out! I agree i would ask for about 10 million! If not more!
                They keep getting higher and higher contracts, 300k a year should be more than enough for a rookie who is playing a GAME he enjoys.

Comment

It seems it is more about the money nowadays and not the simple fact THAT YOU GOT DRAFTED 2 ROUND BY BRONCOS. We have continusally shown that we produce good running backs. I bet Steven Jackson was hoping we would have drafted him. Or it would probabley be about the money with him too.

Comment

Originally posted by EMCF
                    They keep getting higher and higher contracts, 300k a year should be more than enough for a rookie who is playing a GAME he enjoys.
                    Yeah, that's easy to say from our perspective. But for most players in the NFL, this is their small window of opportunity to make the big bucks. For better or worse, their time in the NFL will determine their financial future.

So, they try to get all they can. It's a royal pain from a fan's perspective, but that's life.
                    "You can't take the sky from me..."
                    ------
                    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                      Yeah, that's easy to say from our perspective. But for most players in the NFL, this is their small window of opportunity to make the big bucks. For better or worse, their time in the NFL will determine their financial future.

So, they try to get all they can. It's a royal pain from a fan's perspective, but that's life.
                      Jav you are correct but the ALL received a chance at agood education by playing football. For those that did not take advantage of it, their window of oportunity is a lot smaller than those that did something more than underwater basket weaving.

I get real tired of these over paid cry babies whining about how someone else make a few thousand dollars more than they do.

I think that all contract should be incentive based. Base salary figured out by position. QB OL, DL LB, CB F/SS RB TE WR and the rest of the weenies kickers holders etc.

For every tackle it is worth x.
                      for every running yard it is worth X.
                      For every YAC x
                      Sack=X
                      interception =X

ETC

They all get a signing bonus, and a new car/suv every year, if they sign on by the first of July.

There would be league minimums/maximums. an exemption to keep some of the older players around to let them retire with their major team. Eddie MAC, Sharpe

Premium dollars would be needed to sign free agents, again it all would be incentive based. But more guaranteed bonuses.

I don’t know but this would certainly stabilize the money and the cost to the fans, who ultimately pay the price. I’m sure that it would never happen, but something needs to be done. Manning getting 20 mil guaranteed before putting on a helmet, and the Rivers kid wanting the same contract as Manning got something is wrong there .

Comment

I think that all contract should be incentive based. Base salary figured out by position. QB OL, DL LB, CB F/SS RB TE WR and the rest of the weenies kickers holders etc.
                        I've always thought that would be a good idea but I see two major problems with it:

1) The NFL player's union would never, ever go for that.

2) Such a system could disrupt team harmony. If somebody like Champ Bailey is so good at defending receivers that QBs rarely threw their way, he wouldn't get intereceptions or passes defended or even a lot of tackles. If somebody like Trevor Pryce draws a lot of double teams, he'll get fewer sacks and tackles while letting somebody like Bert Berry get all the stats and, therefore, all the big bucks. Etc., etc.

Also, whereas right now players wholeheartedly support a teammate when they make a great play, if their paycheck was based on their stats, they might have a little bit of resentment toward a teammate when they make a play that they also could have made. "Damn, I was in position to make that tackle and Al Wilson stole it from me!"
                        "You can't take the sky from me..."
                        ------
                        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Jr. you make a great point, but I think the major flaw I see in is that there would be no team unity. Champ because he so good is not going see as many passes come his way his incentive then is to try and bate qbs into thinking a receiver is open so that he make a pick. He does that he's risking giving up more big plays than he would otherwise.
                          Last edited by TXBRONC; 07-31-2004, 03:20 PM.
                          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Well Id id say there was little chance in getting it through. Still a fan of incentive based stuff make one work harder for a goal that everyone can get to.

Comment

Working...
                            X