My thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts...

Griffin - As most of you know I have never hopped on the Griffin bandwagon, after 3 days of seeing him in training camp, I really see what a lot of you have been talking about.

Griffin has some moves that I have never seen before. I have seen our defense which is pretty good, just grab air when they have tried to tackle him. He has been tackled but not an awful lot. He seems also not to take a direct hit, much like Marcus Allen did in his playing days. He kind of acts like a bowling pin and just bounces away from the defender.

His hands are phenomenal in the passing game. I saw several times he would line up as a receiver and there was not a safety or linebacker that could stay with him. He caught several passes for over 40 yards and also in a drill was catching end zone passes like a wide receiver. We have not had a pass catching back like this since Terrell Davis.

One other thing was a screen pass that I saw and he made the first guy miss with a swivel hoop move and he was off to the races. I can see us using a lot of screens with Griffin.

Now I realize he needs to show this in a game that really counts before officially I jump on the band wagon for him, but really guys he looks like the "real deal" after the three days of training camp that I saw.

Hearst looked good also. Had a couple good runs but he will be behind several in the pecking order.

Galloway might not be through if he does what he did this morning consistently. He was really fast and was hitting the holes well. Of course he was working against the third team, so we need to see how he does against the first team defense.

Anderson is running with the second team. As far as I see he will not surpass QG unless QG stumbles out of the chute in the pre-season games. He really should have stayed in the fullback position in my opinion.

Champ looks very good. He jams receivers as they try to get off the line for the full five yards. On several occasions he has pushed the receiver off his route or out of bounds. Yes Watts has burned him a few times, and Champ is not jamming him anymore, but Champ has made more plays defensively then Watts and he has literally tied Lelie in knots.

Lynch is all over the field on almost every play. He put a hit on Watts today in the endzone that separated the ball and catapulted Watts in a different direction. Watts had beaten his man and was gathering the ball in for the touchdown.

Trevor has a motor that won't quit at this time. He is just giving the offensive line fits and could have sacked Jake twice in one of the practices. He will give a lot of sacks to Reggie Hayward and the others that line up.

One guy to watch on the defense in Roc Alexander. His number is 45. He has terrific corner skills and has moved up from the third team to the second team in two days. He also has speed enough to stay with most of the recievers.

Last observation, in the seven years that I have gone to training camp I have never seen the special teams work on so many new drills. Ronnie Bradford is really making the players work. It used to be just kicking the ball and acting out getting as much yardage as possible. Not so today. Goal line drills to keep the ball out of the endzone, fair catches, short punts and what to do, how to cover the ball, how to break a wedge and other drills. I was really impressed.

We will see how this develops and maybe when I get more time I will put down some other thoughts.

Hopefully this will give you some new information you did not have.

By the way the BOO Birds came out early today with Tatum. He was BOO'ed about four times at Invesco today that I heard. One really loud BOO at first and then other small ones.
    Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

I'm glad that Q is doing so well, but really do want see what Bell has to offer as well. Hopefully the finger isn't so bad that he has sit out of practice.

Did Knorr and Epstein do any punting today? If so how did they do?
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Thanks for your perspective. I have to admit I'm a little jealous that I don't live in Colorado and can't visit any of the sessions.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Thanks for the insider training camp obervations.

Also, any idea who our punt and/or kick returner is going to be?

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
          I'm glad that Q is doing so well, but really do want see what Bell has to offer as well. Hopefully the finger isn't so bad that he has sit out of practice.

Did Knorr and Epstein do any punting today? If so how did they do?

Epstien has looked terrible. Knorr has looked good.

Third reciever for my money will be Watts. Unless he cannot play in the game like he can in practice, he is going to be a really good player.

He does not drop the ball much and is a very hard worker. He also has confidence about him that is growing daily.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever
            Really? The camp updates had Epstein outpunting Knorr on both day 1 and day 3. (Day 2 didn't mention the punting).
            Day 1: Incumbent Micah Knorr averaged 47.0 yards on 10 punts, with a long of 57 and four punts of 50 yards or more, while NFL Europe allocation Hayden Epstein averaged 48.8 yards on four punts with a long of 58.

Day 3: Denver worked on punts in the morning session. Micah Knorr punted eight times for a 40.4-yard average with a long of 50, while Hayden Epstein punted five times for a 48.4 average with a long of 55.
            ------

Comment

Third reciever for my money will be Watts. Unless he cannot play in the game like he can in practice, he is going to be a really good player.

He does not drop the ball much and is a very hard worker. He also has confidence about him that is growing daily.
              That's interesting, I thought read in one of the camp reports that he was out punting Knorr.

I think just about every report has some kind of comment on Watts doing something special in practice.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                Really? The camp updates had Epstein outpunting Knorr on both day 1 and day 3. (Day 2 didn't mention the punting).
                Knorr was much more acurate in his kicks on the second and third day as far as I could see. Epstein also is going to have to prove that he can beat out Knorr because it is Knorr's job to lose. The other thing to look at is Knorr does the kick offs and unless Epstein can do that Knorr will have the advantage. (Matt Briar out-kicked Knorr last training camp, but he did not get the job)

Comment

Thanks for your perspective. I have to admit I'm a little jealous that I don't live in Colorado and can't visit any of the sessions.
                  Ya me too!

Comment

Yeah, Watts is definitly exciting to read about! cant wait to see the guy in action! Hopefully lelie finally steps up this year, if so -- whew, it'll be a great season.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
                      Thanks for the insider training camp obervations.

Also, any idea who our punt and/or kick returner is going to be?
                      Kick returner - Droughns, Madise, Luke, Crenshaw, W. Anderson, BJ. Johnson were the ones working out

Punt Returners: Luke, W. Anderson, Champ, Crenshaw, BJ Johnson, Smith and believe it or not QG.

Comment

Knorr was much more acurate in his kicks on the second and third day as far as I could see. Epstein also is going to have to prove that he can beat out Knorr because it is Knorr's job to lose. The other thing to look at is Knorr does the kick offs and unless Epstein can do that Knorr will have the advantage. (Matt Briar out-kicked Knorr last training camp, but he did not get the job)
                        Apparently, kickoffs were Epstein's main job his rookie year for Minnesota.

I agree that the job is Knorr's to lose but the camp reports sounded like Epstein was getting better distance. Obviously, there's a lot more to punting that just distance.
                        ------

Comment

I thought I read something to the effect that Epstein has had some experience handling kick offs. I seem to remember that Knorr is not great at directional kicking, that Epstein seems to be able to do that better.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Apparently, kickoffs were Epstein's main job his rookie year for Minnesota.

I agree that the job is Knorr's to lose but the camp reports sounded like Epstein was getting better distance. Obviously, there's a lot more to punting that just distance.
                            Let's see how both of them perform in the pre-season games. We know from last year what Knorr can do, I guess we need to see now with Epstien can do.

Live bullets are always more effective than blanks in finding out about someones calmness under fire.

Comment

Let's see how both of them perform in the pre-season games. We know from last year what Knorr can do, I guess we need to see now with Epstien can do.

Live bullets are always more effective than blanks in finding out about someones calmness under fire.
                              Definitely. And I'm looking forward to preseason games more than I have in quite a while because there seem to be more players of interest than normal.
                              ------

Comment

Working...
                              X