Mel Kiper's grade for the broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mel Kiper's grade for the broncos

This guy is so bad sometimes. We got the 2nd best LT in the draft, 1 of the top Centers he says and other talented players and gives us a C+ ? LOL

Guess that's why ESPN has been grooming McShay to be his replacement. He only gave 1 A and that was to the Chiefs. His grading system seems to have no consistency. Pretty useless but figured I would pass it on.

Denver Broncos: GRADE: C+
    Ryan Clady is the left tackle the Broncos needed to help Jay Cutler, and Clady should start right away. Eddie Royal is a decent slot receiver who has some return skills, Kory Lichtensteiger was one of the top centers in the draft and Arizona State's Ryan Torain is an interesting pick at running back because he has the potential to prosper in Denver. Torain's ASU teammate, safety Joshua Barrett, has great physical abilities, but does not always play up to his potential. I want to see how they use FB Peyton Hillis because he has great hands out of the backfield, and would be an ideal H-back if he were a couple of inches taller.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...mel&id=3357479

Originally posted by Accordngs View Post
    This guy is so bad sometimes. We got the 2nd best LT in the draft, 1 of the top Centers he says and other talented players and gives us a C+ ? LOL

Guess that's why ESPN has been grooming McShay to be his replacement. He only gave 1 A and that was to the Chiefs. His grading system seems to have no consistency. Pretty useless but figured I would pass it on.

Denver Broncos: GRADE: C+
    Ryan Clady is the left tackle the Broncos needed to help Jay Cutler, and Clady should start right away. Eddie Royal is a decent slot receiver who has some return skills, Kory Lichtensteiger was one of the top centers in the draft and Arizona State's Ryan Torain is an interesting pick at running back because he has the potential to prosper in Denver. Torain's ASU teammate, safety Joshua Barrett, has great physical abilities, but does not always play up to his potential. I want to see how they use FB Peyton Hillis because he has great hands out of the backfield, and would be an ideal H-back if he were a couple of inches taller.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...mel&id=3357479
    Kiper is just like every other couch potato coach on the planet. He thinks he has it all figured out. When was the last time any media figure ever said anything accurate, or good about the Broncos. Case in point in 98' we were concidered 13 pt. underdogs in the Superbowl despite going 13-3. We all know how that game ended. Analysts are like weather men. They get paid to speculate and are seldom ever correct.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by Poindexter View Post
      Case in point in 98' we were concidered 13 pt. underdogs in the Superbowl despite going 13-3. We all know how that game ended. Analysts are like weather men. They get paid to speculate and are seldom ever correct.
      Denver went 14-2 in 98, and were favorites to win the sb. if you're talking about SB XXXII, Denver went 12-4 and deserved to be 13 pt underdogs. afterall it was GB, and we were a wildcard team

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzman1987 View Post
        Denver went 14-2 in 98, and were favorites to win the sb. if you're talking about SB XXXII, Denver went 12-4 and deserved to be 13 pt underdogs. afterall it was GB, and we were a wildcard team
        Sorry for the mistake. I was typing it up before I went back and looked.

The point is the media has never been positive on the Broncos. In 30+ years of watching Broncos games, and coverage the national media has always been that way. I'm not assigning reasons. I honestly don't know why it's like that, but it is.

I'm not trying to make it sound as if there is some vendetta towards the team, but I have seldom heard any NFL analyst say anything positive about the Broncos.

Comment

I honestly don't know why it's like that, but it is.
          its the Market. Denver is the largest metropolis between LA and Chicago, and that ain't much

Comment

"Draft experts" do allot of work and try to figure out what teams will do on draft day.

I think the weathermen are more accurate then "draft experts".

Do not think each team knows what they will do come draft day. Think they just rate players based on their own needs and draft the best possible fit. This can change as many times as their is picks in front of each team yet "draft experts" try to make us think they know exactly what will happen.

"Draft experts" have fewer resources then teams, probably do not know what the teams actually think about prospects and current players as teams try to keep their intentions secret and really have an uphill battle.

With that said I think people like Mel have allot of pride and probably grade teams based on what they think they should have done.

Guess it is a needed part of football but I personally could do without "draft experts". I personally like to watch college players analyzed by people like Deon Sanders, Mouch, TD, Hodge, Jaws and could do without "draft experts".
            Let's Ride!

Comment

Draft experts are for the public to read. The scouts use them for an extra eye from time to time, but its not like they are the reliable source for teams. They are the source for fans.

Of course they aren't accurate. There are literally THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of variables. None of which can be predicted "accurately." They are meant to be a source of information. They cause discussion. MOST of us wouldn't have a CLUE as to who these players are that are drafted if it wasn't for the ten thousand "draft experts" giving their opinion and evaluating of the 10,000 schools. If it weren't for the Mel Kiper's of the world, the NFL draft wouldn't be as big as it is today, and THAT is the truth.

So I don't have a problem with guys like Mel and the others doing their big boards and predictions. They are just guesses. They are the nothing more than an educated ideas as to what 'might' happen for the fans to "play along" with. Nothing more than that.

So it doesn't matter if they are right or wrong. Look how many use and need them to give us an INKLING as to what to complain about!

Other than that, the final grading right now doesn't matter. It all matters 2 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                Draft experts are for the public to read. The scouts use them for an extra eye from time to time, but its not like they are the reliable source for teams. They are the source for fans.

Of course they aren't accurate. There are literally THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of variables. None of which can be predicted "accurately." They are meant to be a source of information. They cause discussion. MOST of us wouldn't have a CLUE as to who these players are that are drafted if it wasn't for the ten thousand "draft experts" giving their opinion and evaluating of the 10,000 schools. If it weren't for the Mel Kiper's of the world, the NFL draft wouldn't be as big as it is today, and THAT is the truth.

So I don't have a problem with guys like Mel and the others doing their big boards and predictions. They are just guesses. They are the nothing more than an educated ideas as to what 'might' happen for the fans to "play along" with. Nothing more than that.

So it doesn't matter if they are right or wrong. Look how many use and need them to give us an INKLING as to what to complain about!

Other than that, the final grading right now doesn't matter. It all matters 2 years from now.
                I understand that. I just don't care for the "grading" part. As if their opinion is what really matters. It only bothers me, because they are in the national media and all too often people tend to believe whatever the guy on TV says.

Comment

I understand that. I just don't care for the "grading" part. As if their opinion is what really matters. It only bothers me, because they are in the national media and all too often people tend to believe whatever the guy on TV says.
                  VERY often they do indeed. But... a lot of people go looking for those grades. They want to see how other people 'see' their draft.

Its interesting though. I mean, it makes you look at it from someone's perspective that isn't a Bronco fan, and isn't a bronco fan that sees EVERYTHING as negative. Some of the fans here, just see everything as negative. Thats the kind of people they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                    VERY often they do indeed. But... a lot of people go looking for those grades. They want to see how other people 'see' their draft.

Its interesting though. I mean, it makes you look at it from someone's perspective that isn't a Bronco fan, and isn't a bronco fan that sees EVERYTHING as negative. Some of the fans here, just see everything as negative. Thats the kind of people they are.
                    That's logic you just can't argue with

I'm glad your on these boards Ravage

Comment

I think I'm the only who agrees with that grade. Not a great draft, but a draft that can have a lot starters 2 years from now. No big time reaches other than the Torain.

Comment

What do you guys want? Him to give us an A+? I can almost guarantee that if Kiper gives us an A everyone is singing his praises, and sayin yeah our draft was great. Sometimes being alittle humble is good, and being too hopeful, and stepping back from the orange and blue glasses to see how most other people outside of the organization think. Because even if our draft was completely different, I have a feeling people would be saying we did so great yada yada like they are now. Most are only hyping up these players because we drafted them period.

If we took Williams or Mendenhall instead of Clady, nobody would be here hyping up Clady. Same if we took Jackson or that OU kid over Royal, nobody would be saying oh we should of grabbed Royal hes so leet, and has a great punt returner. No we would be too busy hyping up the players we got.

I do not think "being negative" has anything to do with it. Its just an unbiased "draft expert" calling it like he sees it. Lets also take into account that we have drafted terribly over the last 10 years.

My take on it, I give us a b- we went after needs. I think the only sure thing, is Clady. I watched the Arizona guys, and outside of Torain(when healthy obviously) none impressed me. Torain was a slight reach, but if he would of stayed healthy last year, I think he would be a 2nd round pick. His main problem is he runs upright. I was never impressed by Barrett, period. He just adds depth and I just do not know if he is starting material in the pros.

Spencer was awsome. I think he has the potential to be special, but see him as of now is a special teams player, getting into the real action sparingly.

Thats just my opinion. I love this team, I just step back and look at it for what it is, instead of this false sense of hope that these guys are all going to be all pro players.

Edit: Kory Lichtensteiger, will be a starter in this league, I can not believe I forgot about him. I think he is the next closest sure thing to Clady out of this class. I love that pick. I actually really like this and the Clady pick. Both play with a mean streak and I think that, and talent was what we missed from our line last year. My buddy went to school with him, and sent me some highlight tapes, dude is good.
                        Last edited by Elway=Goat; 04-28-2008, 05:51 AM.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yMdVHruUfI

Travis Henry, single handedly taking the class out of our organization.

Bowlen, you gutless drunk!

Comment

First of all, grading a draft before the players have even suited up for mandatory workouts is stupid. You can't really grade until three years after the draft. That's when all of the players should have had an opportunity to establish themselves. Any sooner and your right back to speculating!

Second, I have to second the feelings on Lichtenstieger. The guy is a beast. I'm a BGSU grad and still go to games whenever I can. I love watching that guy play. He's got a motor that won't quit. I was more excited about that pick than I was about any other because I think that we really stole a good player. And don't let ESPN's grading of him as a 5th to 6th rounder with "a lack of burst" fool you, he is a football player and will be good for Denver for years to come!
                          "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
                          - Mythbusters

"Go America... Go Broncos"
                          - Stan, South Park

I cheer for three teams EVERY WEEK! The Broncos and whoever is playing the Raiders and the Patriots.
                          - Me

God Bless the United States of America!

Comment

I dont take that draft grade personal at all...

It is coming from someone who is highly educated in the draft and takes a outside look at how all teams draft...

I being loyal to the Broncos think his grade is wrong...I also feel he could very well be right...

Just have to wait watch and see...If we net 2 long term starters out of this draft then it is home run and a great draft grade IMO...
                            :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by humpbobby View Post
                              I dont take that draft grade personal at all...

It is coming from someone who is highly educated in the draft and takes a outside look at how all teams draft...

I being loyal to the Broncos think his grade is wrong...I also feel he could very well be right...

Just have to wait watch and see...If we net 2 long term starters out of this draft then it is home run and a great draft grade IMO...
                              The draft is a crap shoot...period. Every GM and draft expert had Ryan Leaf as a top 3 pick, many had him #1 over Manning and we know how that turned out.

All you can do is look at skill set, compare it to production and try and project that to the NFL level. Unfortunately there is no magic formula or scientific method. Some guys click while others fizzle.

I think we had a very solid draft, but it may not seem that way next year. This draft will need maybe even two years to reach it's potential. Grades should be given out then.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                              J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                              R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Working...
                              X