X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offense Much Improved

Position analysis from last year to this year:

LT - Ryan Clady over Matt Lepsis: - Improvement
    Lepsis was one of the best linemen the Broncos have ever had, but last season, coming off a torn acl in his mid 30's, he was not the player Broncos fans are accustomed to seeing. He might have been justified in retiring before this last season, as his injuries and age led to a drop off in his play. Cue Ryan Clady. The best LT candidate in the draft with potential through the roof. The kid is freakishly athletic for his size, easily the best pass blocker in the draft, and the franchise LT Cutler needs. Shanahan has said Clady will come into camp as the starter. As a ZBS vet, this kid will start immediately and will be an improvement over 2007's version of Matt Lepsis.

LG - Ben Hamilton over Chris Kuper: - Improvement
    Ben Hamilton was a great player for us prior to his scary concussion last treaining camp. He still may slide over to C whenever Nalen hangs them up, but he isa solid contribtor at Guard. Kuper played well last year, and showed his vast potential. But he isn't going anywhere. A healthy Hamilton and Kuper with another year under his belt is certainly an improvement.

C - Tom Nalen over Chris Myers - Improvement
    Another player who missed the majority of the season last year due to injury, Nalen is a sure-fire Ring of Famer whenever he decides to hang them up. His arm injury last year shouldn't have any lingering effects on his level of play. Common sense tells us that at some point his age will catch up to him, but this crafty vet has yet to show any signs of that. Myers was an adequate fill in last year, but he was occasionally ragdolled by stronger defenders, and you can see how highly the front office valued him (6th rounder). A healthy Nalen is an improvement.

RG - Montrae Holland - No Change
    Holland was arguably our best offensive lineman last year. Another year in the system might mean an improvement, but he is a solid starter, and I don't expect much to change about that.

RT - Kuper/Harris/Pears over Erik Pears - Improvement
    Shanahan told us he liked Kuper at LT before the draft, and his skillset as a strong mauler with good athletic ability translates well to the RT spot. Ryan Harris was a 3rd round pick last year, and we could see him contribute here. He is more of a natural LT, but that position is obviously covered, so we'll see what Harris can do at the right side. The fans seem pretty down on Pears, but with another year as a former UDFA, he can only improve. We should have good competition at this spot, but whoever wins will be an improvement over Pears, even if it is Pears.

WR 1 - Brandon Marshall - Question Mark
    He is the big question mark. Standout number 1 receiver last year, but it will all depend on how he recovers from his injury. If he is ready to go by camp, that would be an improvement over last year. And missing pretty much all of camp last year didn't hurt him too much. Add in the work he and Scheffler put in with Cuter in Atlanta prior to the entertainment system incident, Marshall could be an improved player. Really our season hinges on his recovery.

WR 2 - Colbert/Jackson/Royal over Walker/Martinez - Improvement
    Javon, outside of the first 2 games, didn't contribute last year. There isn't anything I can say about him that hasn't already been said. Martinez was left as our outside receiver after the Walker injury in our 3 WR sets. Stokely belongs in the slot. The staff seems to like Colbert, given the 3 year deal he signed. He hasn't lived up to his rookie season, but hopefully he can here in Denver. He is a good blocker at the WR position, which is always something Shanahan covets. Jackson put up some good numbers in Seattle, but who knows if his drops will continue here. Either way, he is a legit starter in the league who I would feel very comfortable having as our number 2. Eddie Royal is a legit deep threat, and I could see him as a potential second receiver. Granted, he would have to light it up in camp, but this is a possibility. All in all, this pool of players is an improvement.

WR 3 - Stokely/Royal over Brandon Stokely - Improvement
    This year Stokely will be able to play exclusively in the slot, which should improve his production as he won't have to be on the field for nearly as many plays. If anything happens, Royal has the look of a slot receiver with the potential to be a number 2 guy. He can step in for Stokely should anything go wrong medically.

TE - Daniel Graham and Tony Scheffler - No Change
    Not much that needs to be said. Tony may improve with another year under his belt and, hopefully, a full training camp. Graham may be asked to babysit one of our tackles again this year.

RB - Henry/Young/Hall/Torain over Henry/Young/Hall - Improvement
    Travis Henry started last season on a tear, before he was slowed by injuries and a suspension battle. This year, with no lingering issues and no distractions, he should return to form. Young played well last season in relief and looks to improve in his second season. Hall is what he is, but he should get better this off season. Torain is a guy who struggled with an injury last year, but, if healthy, is an absolute steal. We have our bruising goal line back.

FB - Peyton Hillis over Cecil Sapp - Improvement
    Did we really have a FB last year? Sapp and Mike Bell were listed there, but did not contribute much. Hillis is a classic WCO fullback who can block and catch passes out of the backfield. He is a legitimate player at the fullback position, something we haven't seen in a long time. This is a huge improvement for us.

QB - Jay Cutler - Improvement
    Cutler is in his third year in the Broncos system. Look for big things from him this year. We went out this off season and found him a lot of toys. We then drafted his blindside protection in Ryan Clady. With an improved arsenal of weapons and a healthy and bolstered offensive line, we are giving Cutler every chance to succeed. Look for him to take his rightful place as a top 8 QB in this league, possibly even top 5. This is his year.

All in all, we improved at just about every position. Combine this with the improved field position we should be seeing from Royal's returns and a draft full of solid coverage/return unit ST guys, and this offense could put up some great numbers. I am really excited about 2008. Go Broncos.
    Superintendent Chalmers: "Thank the Lord"? That sounded like a prayer. A prayer in a public school. God has no place within these walls, just like facts don't have a place within an organized religion."

I agree that we will see improvements across the board.

I think the same for the defense as well. Many positions will be improved on from last year.

I just hope it all amounts to enough to make the playoffs. We'll see.

Comment

Might as well add that Alridge kid to your list of potential RB's

He may not be an immediate impression, but just watching his highlights makes me really hopes he sees some play.

Otherwise I have to agree with your entire post..it seems dead on to me.
      Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Comment

agreed

I think Aldridge will get some looks too. SERIOUS change of pace from Henry to Aldridge. Ankle snap.
        The biggest thing that I look/hope for this season is with Nalen and Hamilton back is a return to some offensive line attitude. I'd like to see this line jog to the scrimmage line with thoughts of mayhem on their mind. A little attitude with a strong talent base can become something impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco1263 View Post
          I think Aldridge will get some looks too. SERIOUS change of pace from Henry to Aldridge. Ankle snap.
          The biggest thing that I look/hope for this season is with Nalen and Hamilton back is a return to some offensive line attitude. I'd like to see this line jog to the scrimmage line with thoughts of mayhem on their mind. A little attitude with a strong talent base can become something impressive.
          Hell yes! I want to return to the good old days when Denver's O-line was something to be feared. When they used to blow holes in the Defense that you could drive a Mack truck through.

I really think we have made a huge progression this off season to get back to that point. Man I can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by bronco1263 View Post
            Now that's what I'm talkin' about brotha!
            sigpic

Comment

I wouldnt be so quick to say that Clady is better than Lepsis. Sure Lepsis was bad last year, but Clady is a rookie and will probably need time to progress in the league. Remember not all LT are a Joe Thomas or Marcus McNeill as rookies. I hope Clady is though.

Comment

Originally posted by Poindexter View Post
                Might as well add that Alridge kid to your list of potential RB's

He may not be an immediate impression, but just watching his highlights makes me really hopes he sees some play.

Otherwise I have to agree with your entire post..it seems dead on to me.
                He can be a Metcalf type player that has 5-10 plays drawn up to take advantage of his speed.

Him and Royal gives us the type of players on offense that can turn a 5 yard play into a TD, an element that was missing last year.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler2007 View Post
                  He can be a Metcalf type player that has 5-10 plays drawn up to take advantage of his speed.

Him and Royal gives us the type of players on offense that can turn a 5 yard play into a TD, an element that was missing last year.
                  That type of intimidation factor on the field alone will add an element to our game that was not their previously. If it translates into TD's that's even more reason to be happy.

Comment

I agree 100% that we have improved across the board not only on offense, but on defense as well, the whole team should be much improved, as you said though I think alot of the offense depends on Marshall, if he can play close to the level he played last year we should be unstoppable.

I think the biggest improvement we made on our entire team is the ST return units. Royal is a HUGE upgrade over anything we had last year, or the last 5 years for that matter, then I really like Anthony Aldrige returning Kick-offs. Plus Jack Williams has some good return ability, man I am really looking forward to this season!

Comment

I think the defensive SCHEME should be mentioned as an 'improvement.' Last year's defensive scheme was just horrible for our team and players, and that put us into a downward spiral that was just too hard to crawl out of. This year will be different.

Also.. when it comes to "quick-six".. lets not get our hopes up on him making the final 53 man roster. The only way I see him making the team is for a KO returner. But we won't have room for a KO returner only. I just don't see Aldridge providing more than that with his size.

But... MAN is he quick!

Comment

Working...
                      X