Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We got an absolute stud today! (Woodyard)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting drafted at a certain time does not translate onto the football field. Many of the NFL players we consider "elite" today were undrafted, or drafted in the later rounds.

If anything, it gives the players motivation, and a chip on their shoulder to show everyone what they are capable of.

I don't recall anyone saying, "what's so great" about Rod Smith now and he was undrafted as well.

People put way too much stock in the draft. Frankly, it's over hyped coverage of a few players who may, or may not do well in the NFL. We treat these people like we are picking a steak out from the grocery store. "Ooooo this one is bigger and leaner it must taste better."

Remember the "winners" of the Draft are usually the teams that had a ton of early picks, because they sucked the year before. I certainly don't want to be that team.

I'm excited to get these undrafted players. The few I know about are steals.

Here's to hoping that they take out some of that undrafted aggression on the opposing team this year!
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Comment

Wesley Reminds Me Of Sean Taylor!

Comment

Wesley Woodyard

I don't know how many, but lots of NFL teams run the 50/3-4 D. WW doesn't fit the OLB size for those because they are mostly like standup DEs. I would expect him to make the team as WLB behind DJ. He is a bit bigger but just as fast as Ian Gold in his prime. Don't forget that Ian was a great WLB for a long time. The ST impact is as obvious as all have said.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Wesley Woodyard's a great player, a great free agent pickup for us.I was hoping to pick him as early as the fourth. What great value! Don't forget, Rod wasn't drafted. "If he's so good, why wasn't he drafted?" While I respect people not jumping on the bandwagon, don't be so quick to judge him negatively jump because he wasn't drafted. He immediately has potential as a project safety, or a great backup linebacker.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegrass1 View Post
            Just some things I thought I should mention.

Last year he led the SEC in Tackles with 139 and 10.7 per game.

In 2006 as a junior he was second in the SEC in tackles behind NFL Defensive rookie of the year Patrick Willis.

In 2006 he single handidly broke Micheal Bush's leg on a solo tackle in the rivalry game against louisville.

There is just not enough I can say about this player. He bled blue at UK and I'm sure he will bleed Orange and Blue with the broncos. At UK he was always a coach on the field and at practice. He even helped alot in recruiting players. I have been a broncos fan my whole life, but this is just sweet that we got this guy as I am also a die hard UK fan.
            Jarod Mayo led the SEC in tackles with 140.

However he did play in one more game than Woodyard.
            Last edited by rockrules40; 04-29-2008, 12:35 PM.

Comment

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_...y_woodyard.htm

That's pretty much the only negative things I've read about him.
              I am Ian from BroncoTalk.net
              Official Member of Team:
              Champ Bailey and Lance Ball.

Comment

Looked good on TV....

I watched the Kentucky/LSU game and he was very active and received tons of complements from the announcers. I watched Kentucky play another SEC team, and lose, but he made his presence felt. Good speed and hits like he is mad at the world. Hope he can lose the 15 lbs. he gained after the season and use his toughness as a hard-hitting safety like Atwater. Lots of potential in this draft and CFAs. Much more so than last year's small draft.

Comment

What's not to like? Sounds like a good pickup for ST. He didn't cost a draft pick, and he won't get a lot of $. If he makes the team, it's a great bonus, and if not === no loss.

But this statement is just wrong:

People put way too much stock in the draft. Frankly, it's over hyped coverage of a few players who may, or may not do well in the NFL. We treat these people like we are picking a steak out from the grocery store. "Ooooo this one is bigger and leaner it must taste better."
                  The reality is that highly drafted players get lots of chances. Undrafted ones get few or none. If a team has invested a high draft choice in a player the GM has a vested interest in seeing that player succeed. If he fails, then the GM's judgment is called into question. GMs who blow top 10 draft picks often get fired by angry owners who get tired of being laughed at by the other super-rich owners and the media.

Nobody laments cutting an unheralded, undrafted FA. No GM ever got criticized by the Sporting News for signing an undrafted FA for a minimum amount and then cutting him.

Bottom Line: This guy's chances of ever becoming an NFL starter are astronomically miniscule. For every Rod Smith, there are 100 guys who never make it.

I have nothing against this guy, he sounds like a nice pickup and it would be fun to see him succeed. But, don't hold your breath. Life just ain't fair and neither is the NFL. Guy gets one shot in training camp to impress the coaches and that's it. If he's injured or just doesn't fit in right away, he's probably done for. Maybe some other team will give him a chance, but for a lot of guys, probably not.
                  sigpic

Comment

I am very happy to see another UK player at Denver. 0 last year and this will make the 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by ChampWJ View Post
                      I'm not trying to knock him at all, because being a Georgia fan I'm well aware of his talent, but I really wonder why he was not drafted. Anyone?
                      He is way to small 6 foot 1 219 LBS is small for a linebacker he needs a good 20 or 30 pounds added to his frame. I think he should help special teams out a lot though. I hope he can beef up he only had 18 bench press reps of 225 pounds. Royal had 24 bench press reps and he is 5 foot 9 184 pounds,and Jack Williams our DB we drafted is 5 foot 9 186 and benched 225 pounds 19 times.
                      He needs to bulk up.
                      sigpic

Comment

I love getting players like that. Reminds me a bit of Mobley who played so many positions at Kutztown.

Comment

Oh great Ian Gold part 2

Actually I liked Gold.

I have been hearing good things about this guy maybe he'll step on Phillip River's fat head!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
                            What's not to like? Sounds like a good pickup for ST. He didn't cost a draft pick, and he won't get a lot of $. If he makes the team, it's a great bonus, and if not === no loss.

But this statement is just wrong:

The reality is that highly drafted players get lots of chances. Undrafted ones get few or none. If a team has invested a high draft choice in a player the GM has a vested interest in seeing that player succeed. If he fails, then the GM's judgment is called into question. GMs who blow top 10 draft picks often get fired by angry owners who get tired of being laughed at by the other super-rich owners and the media.

Nobody laments cutting an unheralded, undrafted FA. No GM ever got criticized by the Sporting News for signing an undrafted FA for a minimum amount and then cutting him.

Bottom Line: This guy's chances of ever becoming an NFL starter are astronomically miniscule. For every Rod Smith, there are 100 guys who never make it.

I have nothing against this guy, he sounds like a nice pickup and it would be fun to see him succeed. But, don't hold your breath. Life just ain't fair and neither is the NFL. Guy gets one shot in training camp to impress the coaches and that's it. If he's injured or just doesn't fit in right away, he's probably done for. Maybe some other team will give him a chance, but for a lot of guys, probably not.

It's not that I disagree with your statements. They seem reasonable to me, but you say that my statement is wrong and then don't really address my original point which is how we treat the players in the draft.

They are treated a lot like piece's of meat. Some of those players that go undrafted are UDFAs based on attributes like size and strength alone. Alridge could be used as an example of that.

I do agree that a player will get more attention when more money is spent on said player, but it doesn't change the fact that many players miss the draft simply based on physical specs regardless of talent on the field.

That doesn't make my statement wrong.
                            Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Comment

Working...
                            X