• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN:Henry could be expendable in Denver

Henry could be expendable in Denver

May 6, 2008 10:57 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Broncos' interest in running backs Shaun Alexander and Dominic Rhodes remains in the preliminary stages, according to sources close to the situation. Denver could bring in either player for a visit, but it isn't focusing on either player at this point.

If Denver were to bring in a veteran running back, the team would likely have to part ways with veteran Travis Henry. There is likely little chance Denver would hold onto Henry and bring in another veteran. The Broncos also like second-year player Selvin Young and fifth-round pick Ryan Torain. So, if a veteran like Alexander or Rhodes comes in -- and it doesn't seem close to happening at this point -- it may be the end of a rocky, short era in Denver for Henry. His contract was chopped to about $1 million this season with incentives after a 2007 season which was disrupted by a drug case and injuries.

Henry ended up averting a one-year drug suspension by winning an appeal, but he was a distraction to the Broncos. If the Broncos decide they don't want to deal with him again, perhaps Alexander or Rhodes could be brought in.
    Interesting..... Yet, I would take Henry over Alexander AND Rhodes any Sunday...

Im with you on Henry over the other two. Let's hop he can stay out of trouble and push one of our younguns to step up big.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I disagree with the writer. I don't think this spells that Henry is out. Henry cut his contract and is still the best RB we have. If we bring in a veteran RB, I don't believe its to cut Henry...but to back him up. We saw what happened last year when our veteran RB went down. Now we have a rookie that "may" be healed from his surgery, and may not be. So what does that leave us? The same situation as last year.

I think the people that are cut if Alexander comes in, is Hall. Mike Bell was cut the moment we drafted Hillis.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
        I disagree with the writer. I don't think this spells that Henry is out. Henry cut his contract and is still the best RB we have. If we bring in a veteran RB, I don't believe its to cut Henry...but to back him up. We saw what happened last year when our veteran RB went down. Now we have a rookie that "may" be healed from his surgery, and may not be. So what does that leave us? The same situation as last year.

I think the people that are cut if Alexander comes in, is Hall. Mike Bell was cut the moment we drafted Hillis.
        Exactly-If Sapp makes the team it will probably be because he is willing to be intense on special teams.
        sigpic
        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

I understand the argument to bring in another Vet. I feel as though the guys we have will be able to produce if they are asked to step up.
          CMack
          http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=2042165

Comment

Henry's character alone makes him an embarrassment on this team. I will be happy the day he is let go.
            KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Comment

Travis Henry is by far my least favorite bronco, would have no problems if they got rid of him. He will probably only last a week or 2 before getting injured (I agree at this moment hes better than those 2 runningbacks) but a healthy rhodes/alexander > Injured pot head.

Comment

Typical Williamson speculation. I swear, the guy isn't even a reporter anymore since he joined ESPN. I think his editors there are telling him "Whatever you think could maybe happen, give us 200 words on that, every day."

Whatever. No to Alexander for sure, and I'm not a big fan of Rhodes either. Henry strikes me as being a better back than both of those.
                In Manning I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                  Henry's character alone makes him an embarrassment on this team. I will be happy the day he is let go.
                  Yes, he has made mistakes in the past, but who of us hasn't?? Henry has not done a single thing wrong since getting to Denver. His character issues are behind him if people give him a chance and stop judging him based on things that happened years ago.

Comment

Alexander is a two down back. I don't think he would be a good fit here. He can't catch a ball to save his life. Let Henry and the young guys battle it out. I would have loved to see us draft Stewart, but I can live with Clady. I am hopeful that with Clady and Hillis, our RB will have some nice lanes to run through.

Comment

I wouldn't mind Alexander coming in and ridding of Henry, but if it's to back up Henry. Then you can forget it, Alexander is the same type of runner that Henry is with less heart for the love of the game. I don't think it matters right now who is going to be the starter. By week 3, we should see Torain starting and making strides towards rookie of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by dlewis76 View Post
                        Alexander is a two down back. I don't think he would be a good fit here. He can't catch a ball to save his life. Let Henry and the young guys battle it out. I would have loved to see us draft Stewart, but I can live with Clady. I am hopeful that with Clady and Hillis, our RB will have some nice lanes to run through.
                        Whether or not Alexander can have a few good years remains to be seen, but I have to say that you are sorely mistaken about his ability to catch the ball. The reason he dropped passes last year is because he had a cast on his left wrist. You can't expect someone to make one handed catches, or use a stiff arm for that matter with a cast on your wrist. That was just poor coaching. He should have never been in the game.

As far as Travis Henry goes, I think he might be productive this year, but I still think his days are numbered in Denver. I would not be surprised at all if Henry is not on the team next year.
                        Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 05-07-2008, 10:08 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                          I agree.

He is, for the most part, a scum bag.

Great talent, horrible personality.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Hyde View Post
                            Yes, he has made mistakes in the past, but who of us hasn't??
                            Nine kids with nine different women in four different states? Yeah we've all been there, right? I'm ok with forgiving him, but that doesn't mean you don't face the consequences of your actions. He's hurt a lot of children by acting irresponsibly. Then there's the drug use. It sets a bad example. Whether athletes think its fair or not, kids look up these guys and their behavior reflects on the whole organization. Henry reflects poorly on it. Its one of the reasons I'm glad this last draft was a bunch of boyscouts.
                            KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Comment

I am not big on Alexander, he always ran soft for a guy with his size. He does excel on the stretch play though and would give Selvin Young a run for his money as the runner outside the tackles.

Henry is a big turd, he has made so many mistakes Britney Spears would be embarrassed to be seen with him, that said though, he did cut his contract significantly to come back and prove he is a player, Alexander wouldn't do that. At the end of the day Henry is tarnishing the already less than great reputation of the Broncos but at least he shows up to play.

Comment

Working...
                              X