Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lynch Trying To Prove Skeptics Wrong (with article)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynch Trying To Prove Skeptics Wrong (with article)

John Lynch has found another muse beyond his usual offseason, self-motivation tactics: doubt.

It's not his own misgivings but the skepticism of others that drives the Broncos safety as he goes through three daily workouts, seven days a week.

Lynch is convinced there's a segment in his own organization that believes his time as a full-time player has perhaps come and gone.

And while he has been down this path before, when a neck injury led to his release by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2004, the vibe feels different this time.

Having to take a pay cut in early March just to stay in Denver was one signal about his current standing in the organization's eyes. Even more telling was the cold shoulder he believes he received from some within the organization after his decision to return.

Both, he said, let him know how he's perceived at this juncture of his career.

"I think there's a split among the staff," Lynch said Wednesday after recognizing the academic, athletic and community achievements of young student leaders at his "Salute the Stars" program's annual banquet. "Some were happy for me to come back and some didn't say anything -- which tells you something."

Lynch believes coach Mike Shanahan is in his corner, "but there were some people who probably felt they were better without me" or, more succinctly, that he had become a "situational player."

Lynch, a nine-time Pro Bowl selection, including each of the past four seasons, admitted that running into such resistance was "hard to figure out" and that it "woke me up a little."

But he said he's not blind to his advancing football age, acknowledging that while "there are things you lose," hard work and experience can help combat those deficiencies.

Lynch is combating his skeptics by trying to whip himself into the best shape of his life.

"You don't get your feelings hurt, because if you've been around this long, it's going to happen," he said. "You look at the great players, Hall of Fame players, it's happened to and it's just the nature of the beast in this game. But while your feelings aren't hurt, your pride hurts a little. And I'm going to show them -- that's my attitude."

Lynch, 37 in September, likely will be a starter at a minicamp that begins May 19, but it more reflects his accumulated time on the Broncos roster than his roster standing. Hamza Abdullah, free-agent pickups Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel and draftee Josh Barrett will get their chances to impress this summer, and the best two will win out.

"I've never been afraid of competition. But it's a little different in that the last 12 years of my career, I've had a job and it was someone's job to come and beat me out," Lynch said, adding he has been assured he'll get a fair shot at a full-time job. "This year, I don't think at this position there are any jobs. There are four or five guys and they're saying, 'Have at it.' It kind of fires me up."

Lynch is working out in San Diego, apart from the Broncos' offseason strength and conditioning program. But he stressed that has more to do with family issues and a comfort level with his longtime personal trainer, Pete Egoscue, than any issues with the team.

Lynch said he has Shanahan's blessing and Broncos strength coach Rich Tuten, whom the safety said he admires, also is on board with his regimen.

"I kind of wanted to get back to my roots," Lynch said.

And the goal of his workouts?

"I'm trying to turn back time. I'm doing everything I can to do that. And while Pro Bowls aren't everything, I have made the last four and it wasn't a fluke. I can still play the game at a high level and am ready to play it at an even higher level this year."

As his charitable foundation extols, life is about striving for extraordinary things. He's taking a page from that philosophy and trying to apply it to his longtime profession.

"For a guy to play at an All-Pro level in his 16th year is uncommon," he said. "But I think I can do it."

Lynch won't put any limitations on his moving forward. There will be no farewell tour because, even if he were to call it quits after this season, which he could, it's his belief it's counterproductive to enter a season with the mind-set the end is coming.

"I'm training to be the best I can be this year and we'll see again next year. I'm not going to make any commitments," he said. "People say all the time, 'This is going to be your last year.' But I don't know that."

Pushing the limits

John Lynch has worked with former Marine Pete Egoscue as his trainer for more than 20 years and they've resumed their partnership this offseason. Core fitness and postural alignment are chief principles toward delivering total-body health under Egoscue's regimen. Among the items on Lynch's to-do list:

* Daily workouts at 5 a.m., 11 a.m. and after dinner.

* A varied approach to fitness, including items such as bear crawls on the beach, running hills, yoga, intensive stretching, obstacle course and barefoot drops in the sand.

* More pull-ups than perhaps he has done in his basement, Rocky-style.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...rove-skeptics/
    Originally posted by darth-hideous
    Champ losing a step, just means the rest of the NFL is now only two steps behind.
    Adopted by: CanDB & Peanut

Originally posted by Bronco-24 View Post
    John Lynch has found another muse beyond his usual offseason, self-motivation tactics: doubt.

It's not his own misgivings but the skepticism of others that drives the Broncos safety as he goes through three daily workouts, seven days a week.

Lynch is convinced there's a segment in his own organization that believes his time as a full-time player has perhaps come and gone.

And while he has been down this path before, when a neck injury led to his release by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2004, the vibe feels different this time.

Having to take a pay cut in early March just to stay in Denver was one signal about his current standing in the organization's eyes. Even more telling was the cold shoulder he believes he received from some within the organization after his decision to return.

Both, he said, let him know how he's perceived at this juncture of his career.

"I think there's a split among the staff," Lynch said Wednesday after recognizing the academic, athletic and community achievements of young student leaders at his "Salute the Stars" program's annual banquet. "Some were happy for me to come back and some didn't say anything -- which tells you something."

Lynch believes coach Mike Shanahan is in his corner, "but there were some people who probably felt they were better without me" or, more succinctly, that he had become a "situational player."

Lynch, a nine-time Pro Bowl selection, including each of the past four seasons, admitted that running into such resistance was "hard to figure out" and that it "woke me up a little."

But he said he's not blind to his advancing football age, acknowledging that while "there are things you lose," hard work and experience can help combat those deficiencies.

Lynch is combating his skeptics by trying to whip himself into the best shape of his life.

"You don't get your feelings hurt, because if you've been around this long, it's going to happen," he said. "You look at the great players, Hall of Fame players, it's happened to and it's just the nature of the beast in this game. But while your feelings aren't hurt, your pride hurts a little. And I'm going to show them -- that's my attitude."

Lynch, 37 in September, likely will be a starter at a minicamp that begins May 19, but it more reflects his accumulated time on the Broncos roster than his roster standing. Hamza Abdullah, free-agent pickups Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel and draftee Josh Barrett will get their chances to impress this summer, and the best two will win out.

"I've never been afraid of competition. But it's a little different in that the last 12 years of my career, I've had a job and it was someone's job to come and beat me out," Lynch said, adding he has been assured he'll get a fair shot at a full-time job. "This year, I don't think at this position there are any jobs. There are four or five guys and they're saying, 'Have at it.' It kind of fires me up."

Lynch is working out in San Diego, apart from the Broncos' offseason strength and conditioning program. But he stressed that has more to do with family issues and a comfort level with his longtime personal trainer, Pete Egoscue, than any issues with the team.

Lynch said he has Shanahan's blessing and Broncos strength coach Rich Tuten, whom the safety said he admires, also is on board with his regimen.

"I kind of wanted to get back to my roots," Lynch said.

And the goal of his workouts?

"I'm trying to turn back time. I'm doing everything I can to do that. And while Pro Bowls aren't everything, I have made the last four and it wasn't a fluke. I can still play the game at a high level and am ready to play it at an even higher level this year."

As his charitable foundation extols, life is about striving for extraordinary things. He's taking a page from that philosophy and trying to apply it to his longtime profession.

"For a guy to play at an All-Pro level in his 16th year is uncommon," he said. "But I think I can do it."

Lynch won't put any limitations on his moving forward. There will be no farewell tour because, even if he were to call it quits after this season, which he could, it's his belief it's counterproductive to enter a season with the mind-set the end is coming.

"I'm training to be the best I can be this year and we'll see again next year. I'm not going to make any commitments," he said. "People say all the time, 'This is going to be your last year.' But I don't know that."

Pushing the limits

John Lynch has worked with former Marine Pete Egoscue as his trainer for more than 20 years and they've resumed their partnership this offseason. Core fitness and postural alignment are chief principles toward delivering total-body health under Egoscue's regimen. Among the items on Lynch's to-do list:

* Daily workouts at 5 a.m., 11 a.m. and after dinner.

* A varied approach to fitness, including items such as bear crawls on the beach, running hills, yoga, intensive stretching, obstacle course and barefoot drops in the sand.

* More pull-ups than perhaps he has done in his basement, Rocky-style.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...rove-skeptics/
    Good article

I respect John Lynch and think he is a great player and he has been a great addition to our defense and locker room since we acquired him. I know he is a fighter and there is no doubt in my mind (as long as he stays healthy) he could easily have another great pro bowl year.

Comment

I love John Lynch. Great guy, has had a great career, glad he ended it with the Broncos. But in reality he has been a "Pro Bowl" caliber player in name only the last couple of years by getting by on rep. He's still very good against the run but because of his speed and quickness "limitations" he's been a liability in coverage for 2-3 years or more. Only because of his smarts and effort is he able to stay on the field and compete at a high level. But he wouldn't start for a lot of teams in the league.

Comment

If this guy isn't an inspiration and a guy for the teammates to look up to, Id on't know who is. Can someone name me a BETTER role-model for both teammates and kids than this guy?

He's a stud.

Comment

I was one of the Bronco fans who didn't want to see Lynch return. After reading the article I'm glad he's staying.
          sigpic

Comment

John Lynch is Denver Bronco football... He's just like one of us..., If your a fan a real fan John Lynch means alot to you. Just like "steady Eddie" or Al Wilson they bleed orange and Blue. He may be getting older, a step slower, maybe even alittle worse in covrage...but the point is he puts his hole heart into it. You'll never have to get him up for a game and you'll always know he's going 110%...He is Denver Bronco football anyone who tells you different is a lie. I would take character and heart over talent any day...Oh and by the way just like the critics who say Denver will be an 8-8 team at best are the same that think we need a change at FS, We'll prove them wrong, John will prove he's a Hall Of Famer and in doing so smack a few slot recievers and tightends in the mouth...man I would hate to see 47 across from me this year cause he's coming to bring it...with all his heart.
            sigpic Adopted By:

Comment

I don't think he's in any danger of loosing his starting spot at FS. Especially if he's going to be in the best shape of his life. Lynch is going to another Pro Bowl!!

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

John Lynch is one of my all-time favorites, and other than my old Plummer hes my only jersey ive got
                sigpic
                Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Blah blah blah John Lynch is washed up, His workouts wont mean nothing, His pro bowls the last 2 years was fluke. Were better off with Hamza and McCree starting this year. Hopefully Josh Barret pans out down the road cuz he is freaky athletic and has great size for a safety. But Lynch is done, Hes a HOFer but hes done. Retire Lynch please stop embarassing yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                    If this guy isn't an inspiration and a guy for the teammates to look up to, Id on't know who is. Can someone name me a BETTER role-model for both teammates and kids than this guy?

He's a stud.
                    Joel Osteen???????????

Although I am one that has expressed a little that I have noticed his skills diminishing, I do love his leadership. That is something I really miss about Rod Smith being on the field. Hopefully this really gets the competition at safety going at a very intense level.
                    sigpic
                    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteyford View Post
                      I was one of the Bronco fans who didn't want to see Lynch return. After reading the article I'm glad he's staying.
                      I'm kind of feeling the same way.
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Once I saw John's decision to return I was thrilled. Not even because of his play making ability. This guy is a leader, an inspiration. John is a rare breed of a totally bad ass old school football player. He will bring his salary's worth just by motivating and passing on his knowledge and experience to the young defense we have. Our defense lacked identity last year, I wouldn't want to know what it would have been like without John Lynch in a Denver uniform.

to 47.

Originally posted by JayCutty6 View Post
                        Blah blah blah John Lynch is washed up, His workouts wont mean nothing, His pro bowls the last 2 years was fluke. Were better off with Hamza and McCree starting this year. Hopefully Josh Barret pans out down the road cuz he is freaky athletic and has great size for a safety. But Lynch is done, Hes a HOFer but hes done. Retire Lynch please stop embarassing yourself.
                        If that Martini isn't an indication of a sarcastic post, those are fightin words. Pay some respect to a great leader and figure in Denver Bronco's history.
                        Last edited by Zealander; 05-08-2008, 10:09 PM.

Comment

This could be the spark this defense needs to turn from mediocre to EXCELLENCE!!!!!! Go broncos

Comment

John Lynch is a player that i have the utmost respect for, he's a trooper to say the least! I was thrilled to hear that my favourite player would return to the Broncos for the 2008/09 season! He is not afraid to compete as he said in his interview and i believe that no-one can shift him at FS. Yes, he has played for a long time in the NFL but his impact in game has not softened one bit! The other thing people need to remember is that John Lynch is a leader, he has held our defense together in some troubled games, and for this, he also needs credit.

The Broncos have retained a fantastic Safety and a truly inspiring player at #47!

Good luck for the 2008/09 season John!!

Comment

[

If that Martini isn't an indication of a sarcastic post, those are fightin words. Pay some respect to a great leader and figure in Denver Bronco's history.[/QUOTE]

Me showin respect is saying hes WAS great player and a hall of famer for sure, But hes nuthin but a liability on the field at this point of his career, Having him on the team IN the game only makes the defense worst than what it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X