Intense Safety Battle/Kuper at RT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intense Safety Battle/Kuper at RT

Everybody on the message boards are talking about the fierce competition between WR's, HB's, etc. What I haven't seen is a discussion about the huge battle there's going to be at the Safety position. Lynch is pretty much a lock to start at FS, although he might be substituted on passing downs, which leaves us SS...Abdullah is going to fight for that job, there's Marlon McCree, Marquand Manuel, possibly Wesley Woodyard, Josh Barrett...I think there's a few more names that escape me at the moment. Let's discuss the safety battle that's going to take place in training camp.

Also

Mike Shanahan pretty much stated that he wants Chris Kuper starting somewhere on his o-line this upcoming season because his progress was significant. LT is occupied by Clady, LG is taken by Hamilton, C is filled by Nalen, and LG will be Montrae Holland. That leaves Eric Pears (who IMO is too slow to run our ZBS system and got beat for sacks too many times last year) fighting for his life since Kuper is preparing to make the switch to tackle. Tell me, who wins the RT position? Is it Chris Kuper, Eric Pears, or Ryan Harris and why?

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
    Everybody on the message boards are talking about the fierce competition between WR's, HB's, etc. What I haven't seen is a discussion about the huge battle there's going to be at the Safety position. Lynch is pretty much a lock to start at FS, although he might be substituted on passing downs, which leaves us SS...Abdullah is going to fight for that job, there's Marlon McCree, Marquand Manuel, possibly Wesley Woodyard, Josh Barrett...I think there's a few more names that escape me at the moment. Let's discuss the safety battle that's going to take place in training camp.

Also

Mike Shanahan pretty much stated that he wants Chris Kuper starting somewhere on his o-line this upcoming season because his progress was significant. LT is occupied by Clady, LG is taken by Hamilton, C is filled by Nalen, and LG will be Montrae Holland. That leaves Eric Pears (who IMO is too slow to run our ZBS system and got beat for sacks too many times last year) fighting for his life since Kuper is preparing to make the switch to tackle. Tell me, who wins the RT position? Is it Chris Kuper, Eric Pears, or Ryan Harris and why?
    Well to answer both your question I believe our Safteys will be Lynch and Mcree with Abdullah comming in on passing downs. I think this year Josh Barrett will be on the practice squad and will step up next year and play along side of Abdullah. As for the RT possition It's going to be a battle between Harris and Kuper. I think Pears will be a rotational type of player that will probally play more guard than tackle.

Comment

Also

Welsey Woodyard is most likely going to stay at OLB and for now work on SP. Marlon Mcree and Hamza Abdullah will most likely battle for SS because they are, for now, the better safeties other than John Lynch. when Lynch retires Mcree will probably take his spot and Adullah will most like take SS. don't forget that Barrett is gonna be trying to seperate himself from the pack.

IMO Chris Kuper might duke-it-out with Montrae Holland at RG because although Holland had a decent year he could be upgraded. Ryan Harris, who has been signified by analysts to be bad pick last year, has progressed also. Erik Pears might have a leg up on him now but by Sept. i believe Harris will be our RT.
      Last edited by BroncoBoy2012; 05-13-2008, 09:21 AM.
      --Representing the Broncos in the 605-- Adopted Bronco: Gerell Robinson

Comment

So were gonna guess when teams run and throw on us with Lynch in the game? LMAO Lynch is a freakin liability man. How are we gonna know when a team is throwing or running the ball on us? Besides obvious passing downs......Oh and thats gonna work well facing QBs like peyton manning and Brady and Even Rivers who owns us so far with hurry up offense??? Look how many times lynch was stuck in the middle of the field guarding NOBODY last year because he was in the game to stop the run and the team decided to pass the ball!!!!!! Oh by the way did anybody notice the tight ends killing Denver over the middle last year?? Lynch aint have no one jaw breakin hit last year! He had abotu what 40-50 tackles? And was suppose to be in the best shape of his career last year HE SAID IN TRAINING CAMP. So yeah a year older hes suppose to be better? Quit talkin about Lynch, He will only be in the game on goalline situations i hope.

Comment

Holland will be good this year, yes he could be upgraded but that won't happen until next year or the year after. Pears is on a contract year and I think he will be out after this year so they will use him as a back-up. The RT spot will be between kuper and harris. I hear good things about kuper and I think he wins the spot. If hamilton goes down with injury than kuper takes his spot and harris becomes the RT
          sigpic

Comment

As far as safety goes it will be mcree and lynch starting I believe. Hamza will be the number 1 backup. I agree with the post that says Woodyard will most likely stay at LB but I realy think he would be awesome at safety. At 6'1 227he would be a big hitter in the secondary. In a few years with him and barrett at safety we might get close to the good old days with the best safety tandem in the league with atwater and denis smith. He plays the pass well, is an excellent tackler but struggles on the line of scrimmage. He would fit much better playing pass first and then sometimes coming up to play the run closer to the line. Sounds like a safety to me. DJ is the best OLB we have and he is still young, it would be a long time before woodyard got to play there or on Boss's side. We have good back ups already in winborn and webster and maybe larsen so I think woodyards talents could be used on the field much quicker if we switch him to safety.
            sigpic

Comment

I think the beauty of this thread is were talking about competition! Competition is going to push these guys to the max during camp and I think that will lead to better play during the regular season. It seems like a lot of guys are gonna have to come in and earn there spots. I love Lynch and if he is the best man in camp then he will play. Same goes for the O-line we have some depth here finally as to last year when guys played by default. As a Broncos fan its nice to even talk about good young players who will come in and push some of these vets. Those of you guys talking trash about Lynch need to get a clue. Our whole secondary looked pathetic last year. Mostly because we couldn't stop the run or get pressure on the QB. If a QB has time eventually someone will be open. Lynch is a great character guy and will have a huge impact on this team whether he is on the field or not. He's a leader and a teacher and it will be great for him to lead by example and show these younger players how to make it in the NFL. Go Broncos!

Comment

Also

Lynch is not a lock at FS. It's an open competition for both safety spots. It's hard to imagine someone beating Lynch for a starting spot, but it could happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see McCree and Abdullah as the starting safeties.

My guess is that Ryan Harris will be the starting right tackle. I think Kuper's experience from last year could help him win the job though.
                My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                You Mad Bro?
                Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I Just can't see Hamilton coming back 100%. In that event, Kuper starts at LG, and Harris at RT.

Too soon, D-Will, too soon.

Comment

We don't need 2 body rockin' safeties in the d- backfield... sounds like Kennedy/ Lynch part deux
                    This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by urinal_cake View Post
                      We don't need 2 body rockin' safeties in the d- backfield... sounds like Kennedy/ Lynch part deux
                      Yeah cause Smith and Atwater never worked out at all.

Comment

Abdullah is more suited as a FS, and I can see Barrett starting at SS for us in a couple of years. That would be a pretty good safety tandem. Barrett has the ability to be a 1st round pick, but injury and questionable decision making on the field dropped him all the way down to the 7th round. He's very big, runs as fast as CB's, tackles with authority, and has decent ball skills. Like I said earlier, Abdullah is more suited at FS because he's not great at run support, but has great speed to roam the secondary. Barrett could excel at SS because pretty much all he needs to do is run support, which he's very good at. He won't have to worry about covering Tight Ends, Runningbacks, and extra receivers as often as a FS has to.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayCutty6 View Post
                          So were gonna guess when teams run and throw on us with Lynch in the game? LMAO Lynch is a freakin liability man. How are we gonna know when a team is throwing or running the ball on us? Besides obvious passing downs......Oh and thats gonna work well facing QBs like peyton manning and Brady and Even Rivers who owns us so far with hurry up offense??? Look how many times lynch was stuck in the middle of the field guarding NOBODY last year because he was in the game to stop the run and the team decided to pass the ball!!!!!! Oh by the way did anybody notice the tight ends killing Denver over the middle last year?? Lynch aint have no one jaw breakin hit last year! He had abotu what 40-50 tackles? And was suppose to be in the best shape of his career last year HE SAID IN TRAINING CAMP. So yeah a year older hes suppose to be better? Quit talkin about Lynch, He will only be in the game on goalline situations i hope.
                          are u freakin serious? You obviously know nothing about football. You're pretty stupid...I said Lynch would be subbed out on passing situations, and what that means is if there are more than 3 WR's, 3rd or 4th down and more than 6 yards. Of course we're not gonna magically know when a team's going to pass. Damn your an idiot use your brain man. and also quit hatin' on Lynch he's the best safety we have and he's NOT a liability. We'll just simply sub him out on obvious passing situations...just like we did last season!

sigpic

Comment

Saftey postion, Lynch is a lock. To say otherwise is idoitic because without Lynch on the field the D looked confused as ever and didn't play lights out like when Lynch was on the field. He is a true leader and it's something you have at a young age, it can't be learned overnight. I think Abdullah will win the other saftey spot, but McCree will make it hard.

RT will belong to Kuper, but I expect Harris to make it a hard fought battle. Pears will be playing backup, he's not starter material.

Comment

Originally posted by kratos_godofwar View Post
                              Saftey postion, Lynch is a lock. To say otherwise is idoitic because without Lynch on the field the D looked confused as ever and didn't play lights out like when Lynch was on the field. He is a true leader and it's something you have at a young age, it can't be learned overnight. I think Abdullah will win the other saftey spot, but McCree will make it hard.

RT will belong to Kuper, but I expect Harris to make it a hard fought battle. Pears will be playing backup, he's not starter material.
                              EXACTLY!! I wish all Bronco fans understood this...I feel the same way

Montrae Holland did a good job last year, but he's not a typical ZBS lineman. If I had it my way: Clady, Hamilton, Nalen, Kuper, Harris

All these guys are prototype ZBS lineman, fast, agile, nimble, and not too heavy. Holland and Pears are slow and not very athletic, I think that's why we had some problems with the run game last year.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X