X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• str8jacket
    replied
    Originally posted by fxblitz View Post
    Yeah cause Smith and Atwater never worked out at all.
    We actually had a good Defensive Line back then too. Less pressure on the secondary, corners become better, which allows you to use your safeties as basically line backers.

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    replied
    just in case you guys couldn't tell, I don't like Pears playing on our line...did you see what him and Lepsis allowed to happen to Cutler on Christmas Eve?

I think Clady and Kuper would be huge improvements over Lepsis (after injury) and slow Pears

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    replied
    Originally posted by rascal View Post
    You guys are nuts.

There is no way Harris will ever play guard. He got overpowered at tackle against smaller DEs, and you want to put him up against DTs that weigh more than him and are stronger? You were horrified when Jay got destroyed by Rogers, if Harris plays guard you might as well sign Jay's death warrant.

If Nalen should be unable to play than Weigmann will play center this year with the possibility of Kory Lichtensteiger starting instead. There is also a chance of Hamilton playing center, but IMO Hamilton, Weigmann, and Kuper is a better combo than Hamilton, Kuper, and Harris/Pears. But I'm not concerned about Nalen for this year.

If Hamilton should be unable to play than Kuper will slide back down to LG and Pears or Harris will play RT.

RT is in limbo between Pears, Harris, and Kuper with Pears and Kuper being on the inside track.

Starting 5 with backups:
    Clady (Pears/Harris)
    Hamilton (Kuper)
    Nalen (Wiegmann)
    Holland (Kuper)
    Kuper (Pears/Harris)

Again, how you so called experts can think that Harris will play guard exemplifies how little you know. Especially when you consider he will be observing Ramadan during the season.
    I like the sound of that lol

Leave a comment:

• rascal
    replied
    You guys are nuts.

There is no way Harris will ever play guard. He got overpowered at tackle against smaller DEs, and you want to put him up against DTs that weigh more than him and are stronger? You were horrified when Jay got destroyed by Rogers, if Harris plays guard you might as well sign Jay's death warrant.

If Nalen should be unable to play than Weigmann will play center this year with the possibility of Kory Lichtensteiger starting instead. There is also a chance of Hamilton playing center, but IMO Hamilton, Weigmann, and Kuper is a better combo than Hamilton, Kuper, and Harris/Pears. But I'm not concerned about Nalen for this year.

If Hamilton should be unable to play than Kuper will slide back down to LG and Pears or Harris will play RT.

RT is in limbo between Pears, Harris, and Kuper with Pears and Kuper being on the inside track.

Starting 5 with backups:
    Clady (Pears/Harris)
    Hamilton (Kuper)
    Nalen (Wiegmann)
    Holland (Kuper)
    Kuper (Pears/Harris)

Again, how you so called experts can think that Harris will play guard exemplifies how little you know. Especially when you consider he will be observing Ramadan during the season.

Leave a comment:

• JaysusCutler
    replied
    Originally posted by berlownacyo7s View Post
    I would like to see Harris win the RT position.
    I would like to see whoever earns the job win the RT position.

Leave a comment:

• berlownacyo7s
    replied
    I would like to see Harris win the RT position.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
    So we can all agree that Pears has to go and the RT position is open for Ryan Harris or Chris Kuper right?
    I wouldn't say he has to go. Harris is still unproven, so is lichtensteiger, Pears has experience at multiple positions and is a decent backup. We will need back-ups at several OL positions before the season is over. If he doesn't make the starting lineup he is the best backup we have. Maybe next year we can get someone to replace him but for this year he is a necessity.

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    replied
    So we can all agree that Pears has to go and the RT position is open for Ryan Harris or Chris Kuper right?

Leave a comment:

• hawaiibronco
    replied
    Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
    Holland will be the starting RG for the Broncos barring any injuries.
    Agree Holland's a lock at RG. Kuper either at RT or LG. Depending on how Hamilton and Harris shake out.

Leave a comment:

• getlynched47
    replied
    Harris could play guard IMO....what hinders his ability to be a dominant tackle are his short arms and his lack of upper body strength. He is comparable to Ben Hamilton, so maybe Harris will also make a switch if Kuper goes to tackle

Leave a comment:

• TheReverend
    replied
    Originally posted by Cutler2007 View Post
    He finesses too much, and will get over powered. Even in his very good Jr year at ND he had problems being pushed backwards in the running game. His weight, strength, shorter arm span would also be deterrents. If he was an over achiever, he could scrap it out, but that isn't what he is known for.

I guess he could play RT, just badly. I have never thought he would play OT at all in the NFL. I think he is a career backup player.

I agree that we shouldn't go with two first year starters on the left side, but I think both excell at pass blocking so Cutler should be safe. I doubt we would have any success running the ball that way unless we motion Graham there all day (kinda predictable anyways).

We will see, but I just pray Nails is healthy for one more year and Lichtensteiger develops quickly.

Time will tell. I haven't seen enough of his play at Notre Dame to agree or disagree with you, but the preemptive back surgery may also have given a substanstial amount of power back to his core.

We certainly should NOT play 2 first year players on the left side, unless Harris can play the LG spot like Jesus can walk on water. There's going to be a LOT of protection slid to the left to help Clady acclimate himself, and Graham can expect at least as much blocking as last year. I expect him to see maybe at maximum 10 pass routes where he's not at least chipping the LDE before he starts his route.

Leave a comment:

• Cutler2007
    replied
    Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
    Why is it you feel so strongly that Harris couldn't play RT?
    He finesses too much, and will get over powered. Even in his very good Jr year at ND he had problems being pushed backwards in the running game. His weight, strength, shorter arm span would also be deterrents. If he was an over achiever, he could scrap it out, but that isn't what he is known for.

I guess he could play RT, just badly. I have never thought he would play OT at all in the NFL. I think he is a career backup player.

I agree that we shouldn't go with two first year starters on the left side, but I think both excell at pass blocking so Cutler should be safe. I doubt we would have any success running the ball that way unless we motion Graham there all day (kinda predictable anyways).

We will see, but I just pray Nails is healthy for one more year and Lichtensteiger develops quickly.

Leave a comment:

• TheReverend
    replied
    Originally posted by Cutler2007 View Post
    IMO, there is no way Harris can play RT. He was projected as a LT or G when he was drafted. Wiegman, I doubt even makes it out of camp. Kuper played both G and OT in college and the fact that he had the edge over Harris at LT before Clady was selected makes me believe that he has been working out at OT some anyways.

If Harris is ever going to break the starting lineup, it will be at LG. I really didn't like the Harris pick last year anyways, but if he is ever going to be more than a backup (and that may be all he is) it will be at the G spot. Harris has had a year to digest the system, otherwise I would put Lichtensteiger in his spot.

Either way, I think Kuper goes to RT and is kept there for the long haul. Yes he will have to beat out Pears, but with Erik being a FA next year, Kuper has an advantage if we look to get continuity going on the Oline.

Hamilton at C makes sense if Nalen can not go as he knows the system better than anyone else except Nalen. Our center needs to make the line calls, so why have an inferior player such as Wiegman (I may be wrong, but I think he is on his last leg) who does not have the grasp that Hamilton does. a missed blocking call can result in a sack the same way a missed block can. Hamilton was always the heir apparent anyways.

None of this will not really matter unless Nalen gets hurt. Shanny has shown that he will stick with a guy based on past performance anyways (see Lepsis). So even if Nails is 50% of his former self he will start all year....it's a loyalty thing.

This is what happens when you do not spend high draft picks on the Oline. We are just now starting to get back to having 5 capable starters. Holland turned out to be a life saving signing last year, without him we would have been in serious trouble in 2007. Hopefully, Lichtensteiger turns out better than I think he will and gives us 5 good guys moving forward (that is if Hamilton's head is ok). Otherwise we will need to draft another OT/G high next year.
    Why is it you feel so strongly that Harris couldn't play RT?

Leave a comment:

• Cutler2007
    replied
    Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
    Meh.

If it turns out they both demonstrate the skill sets for those spots, and Kuper can provide superior play at RT, so be it. Switching from T to G is hardly an enormous task.

Still, you being right about it not working is the odds on favorite.

My guess would be that if Kuper is a dominant tackle in camps, he'll get that right spot, and if Nalen DOES go down, Weigman will be the bandaid at C or G until they can get the training wheels off Harris. Inserting him as a first year starter to help compensate for another first year starter ALL ON THE BLIND SIDE OF YOUR LINE isn't particularly a recipe for success.
    IMO, there is no way Harris can play RT. He was projected as a LT or G when he was drafted. Wiegman, I doubt even makes it out of camp. Kuper played both G and OT in college and the fact that he had the edge over Harris at LT before Clady was selected makes me believe that he has been working out at OT some anyways.

If Harris is ever going to break the starting lineup, it will be at LG. I really didn't like the Harris pick last year anyways, but if he is ever going to be more than a backup (and that may be all he is) it will be at the G spot. Harris has had a year to digest the system, otherwise I would put Lichtensteiger in his spot.

Either way, I think Kuper goes to RT and is kept there for the long haul. Yes he will have to beat out Pears, but with Erik being a FA next year, Kuper has an advantage if we look to get continuity going on the Oline.

Hamilton at C makes sense if Nalen can not go as he knows the system better than anyone else except Nalen. Our center needs to make the line calls, so why have an inferior player such as Wiegman (I may be wrong, but I think he is on his last leg) who does not have the grasp that Hamilton does. a missed blocking call can result in a sack the same way a missed block can. Hamilton was always the heir apparent anyways.

None of this will not really matter unless Nalen gets hurt. Shanny has shown that he will stick with a guy based on past performance anyways (see Lepsis). So even if Nails is 50% of his former self he will start all year....it's a loyalty thing.

This is what happens when you do not spend high draft picks on the Oline. We are just now starting to get back to having 5 capable starters. Holland turned out to be a life saving signing last year, without him we would have been in serious trouble in 2007. Hopefully, Lichtensteiger turns out better than I think he will and gives us 5 good guys moving forward (that is if Hamilton's head is ok). Otherwise we will need to draft another OT/G high next year.
    Last edited by Cutler2007; 05-14-2008, 06:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TheReverend
    replied
    Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. Why in the world would Harris play guard? Especially when Kuper has starting experience at guard and Harris has practiced as a tackle?
    Meh.

If it turns out they both demonstrate the skill sets for those spots, and Kuper can provide superior play at RT, so be it. Switching from T to G is hardly an enormous task.

Still, you being right about it not working is the odds on favorite.

My guess would be that if Kuper is a dominant tackle in camps, he'll get that right spot, and if Nalen DOES go down, Weigman will be the bandaid at C or G until they can get the training wheels off Harris. Inserting him as a first year starter to help compensate for another first year starter ALL ON THE BLIND SIDE OF YOUR LINE isn't particularly a recipe for success.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X