No announcement yet.

Where do the Broncos finish - NON HOMERS ONLY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off those "experts" who do those power rankings are full of **** most of the time.

Did a single one of them imagine on a cold day in hell that the Giants would win the Super Bowl at the start of last season? Not one. Even half way through the season those same "Experts" had the Cowboys and the Patriots in the SB.

It is not being "homeristic" to say that anything can happen from season to season. If it was all so predictable there would be no reason to watch it, or even be a fan.

If you want a "realistic", no-homer response to your question then start by realistically accepting the fact that anything is possible including a Denver SB showing. Do I think that will happen? The odds are not in Denver's favor, but to rule it out is just as naive as saying it's going to happen. I'll admit I didn't think the Giants would make it past the Wild Card game, but they surprised everyone.

Starting a thread based soley on speculation and then asking people to give you realistic, non- homer responses is asking a loaded question. If anyone replies that they could have a winning season you then give yourself free license to label them a homer. The truth is noone here can give you a real answer to the question your asking, because no one here can predict the future. That includes the so called "experts".
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by tante_vasquez View Post
      Looking at the offense, we have so many ????

? - Will Cutler respond to treatment
      ? - Does our RBs stay healthy
      ? - Does the new o-line gel together
      ? - Does Marshall's arm get better

On defense

? - Is Robertson healthy enough to play
      ? - who starts at MLB
      ? - Can the safeties perform at a high level

ST

? - can the unit block & cover as a team
      ? - do we finally have an explosive returner

Originally posted by Accordngs View Post
      I think we can go anywhere from a 7-9 team up to a 12-4 team. We just don't know how certain things are going to work out.

Keep in mind, we were BAD in my mind last year....yet we still were in it. We really shouldn't have lost the GB and Chicago games. Then we would of been 9-7.
      Or if we swept SD, instead of the other way around, we would of won the division.

But I think many of your questions have been answered

OFF:

QB - Cutler played well when it was untreated. So now with ANY treatment should be an upgrade

OL - Very inconsistent last year. It should be 10x better just getting Hamilton and Nalen back. Now add in Clady over a terribly declining Lepsis from last year and we look much better.

RB - We were productive no matter who was in, although never explosive. I hope we can be explosive in the running game like in TD and CP days.

WR - That is a good question, lets hope so!

DEF:

Robertson - He has barely missed any games in his career. I don't think its fair to say will he be "healthy." He has a knee condition, but he's always had it, so I don't expect him to be playing any differently.

MLB - Well Niko was announced as our MLB and I don't see that changing. How he plays though, who knows. But DJ and Boss outside is a huge upgrade from where we were last year. Gold/Webster/Winborn/Whoever were terrible outside last year.

Safeties - Last year our safeties were decimated with injuries. We were playing CB's back there. Now we have a lot of depth. No superstars, but at least we will have some guys who are actually safeties that can play consistent.

ST:

I hope they learn to block. It was just terrible last year. I am not sure which was worse though...that are our ST tackling (or lack thereof)

Explosive returner - That's one reason Shanahan was so high on Royal and took him over guys like Sweed. We have lacked a good returner forever! Now we have one. Royal was money in the return game --- automatic upgrade over the bums we had last year getting us to the 16 yard line.
      Q: Will Cutler respond to treatment?
      A: I agree with According answer here…Jay has played untreated so with monitoring to ensure his blood sugar does not go to high or too low should hopefully translate into a more focused QB next year.

Q: Does our RBs stay healthy?
      A: I don’t think we will make it through the year with out any injuries…that’s just life in the NFL. According mentioned we were still productive last year which I will agree on, however overall last year was considered an off one for us. Either way I think we stay healthy enough to have a good year, I am personally more worried about the O-Line playing well and staying healthy than our RB’s.

Q: Does the new o-line gel together?
      A: One would think so…as we all know last year we lost two starters to injury (Nalen & Hamilton), Lepsis played horrible, it was Montrae Holland’s first year in our Zone Blocking scheme/system, and some players had to be moved around to compensate. This year we get both Nalen & Hamilton back, Montrae Holland is no longer a newbie to our system, and some regard the addition of Clady as an improvement over how bad Lepsis played (only time will tell on that). Either way the point I’m trying to make is barring any crazy injuries like we had last year we should be better.

Q: Does Marshall's arm get better?
      A: Well no doubt it’s better than it was when he originally injured it…I think the better question is will Brandon Marshall’s arm injury prevent him from picking up where he left off last season. Like According said…I hope so! We are deep at WR with the off season acquisitions, however Brandon Marshall has the potential to be great and make our team better when he is playing (at the level he played at last year). Let’s all hope his arm injury does not have an adverse affect on his abilities.

Q: Is Robertson healthy enough to play?
      A: I defer to Accordings answer…because I don’t think I could answer it better than that!

Q: Who starts at MLB?
      A: Niko will be the starter when camp opens (no question about that), I also think he will be the starter for the year. However many are high on Spencer Larsen but we have to see how he performs on the field before we can anoint a rookie the starter. I rather see him back up a year or two before throwing him to the wolves (unless he plays so good the coaching staff deems it plausible for him to start).

Q: Can the safeties perform at a high level?
      A: Again I will defer to Accordings answer on this one.

Thx,
      Joe
      To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.

sigpic

Comment

no superbowl or undefeated responses. Realistically where do you see the broncos finishing. Granted they appear to have gotten better on paper in my mind, but they are ranked 23rd in the newest power ranking, which means they in the "experts" eyes, we have gotten 2 spots worse after our offseason. If we play out the season as they predict then we finish with a top 10 draft pick (number 9 pick) for the first time in over a decade.

Now looking at our schedule:

@ Oakland (L - I think we start out shaky with a bad day from our o-line)
        San Diego (L - too much talent)
        New Orleans (W - only reason we win is because we are at home)
        @ Kansas City (W - Kansas City isn't the team they used to be at home)
        Tampa Bay (W - Tampa is still growing as a team)
        Jacksonville (L - all star defense)
        @ New England (L - We have their number, but not this time)
        Miami (W - no explanation needed)
        @ Cleveland (L - Anderson has another big year)
        @ Atlanta (W - it's Atlanta)
        Oakland (W - we win at home this time and have payback from opening day)
        @ New York (L - on the road against that D-line)
        Kansas City (W - sweep them this season)
        @ Carolina (W - they aren't the team they used to be)
        Buffalo (L - payback from last season)
        @ San Diego (L - The only reason we don't win is they play for Home Field Adv)

so looking at my predictions we finish 8-8, we should be good but not nearly enough for the playoffs and looking at somewhere around 15 - 18th best in the NFL. My big worry is an early season loss at Kansas City and we might be looking at a 1-3 start of the season and then all bets are off.

On defense

? - who starts at MLB

ST

I think some of these questions were addressed during the draft and free agency, but we have a lot of unproven talent on this team that is going to really need to work in order for us to become successful. What does everyone else see our record as?

@ OAK-W(Russell and McFadden are both unproven, D-line isn't that great)

SD-W(If we're going to beat them it's got to be now!!!)

NO-W(Not much of a threat, only way we loose is if we loose focus and let it slip away.)

@KC-W(We did it last year, plus they're in rebuilding mode.)

TB-W(Could be another trap game, maybe looking ahead a few weeks.)

JAX-L(This game should be awesome, maybe a nail biter at the end. I would love to see us win one of these next two games!!!)

@NE-L(Another great game, maybe we pull this one out who knows!!!)

MIA-W(This shouldn't be anywhere near a trap game!!!)

@CLE-W(This game should be fun to watch.)

@ATL-W(Should be a gimmie.)

OAK-W(It's Raiders week in Denver, we sweep the Raiders.)

@NY-L(Jet D surprises, we loose a close one!)

KC-W(we sweep them, possibly in a close one.)

@CAR-W(Keep our focus and we should win.)

BUF-W(We build momentum heading into the playoffs!!!)

@SD-L(Home field for SD is too much, we loose a heart breaker on the road!!!)

12-4 and a playoff berth.

Worst case scenario is 10-6 with losses at CLE and against BUF, maybe a wild card spot.
        sigpic

Comment

Some of you have some low expectations, I will preach this till the season starts, we had a BILLION injuries, it was a rare season in that regard. We definitely won't be hit with a ton of injuries this year, our OL was decimated, our DL was hit, Lynch was hurt a lot, Henry was hurt. We had like 5-7 starters that were out or had lingering injuries.
          sigpic

Comment

no superbowl or undefeated responses. Realistically where do you see the broncos finishing. Granted they appear to have gotten better on paper in my mind, but they are ranked 23rd in the newest power ranking, which means they in the "experts" eyes, we have gotten 2 spots worse after our offseason. If we play out the season as they predict then we finish with a top 10 draft pick (number 9 pick) for the first time in over a decade.

@ Oakland (W-they can't stop the run and J Russell is a virtual rookie)
            San Diego (W- home game, LT and Rivers coming off injuries and starting LB on suspention)
            New Orleans (W - No Running Game, Dumervil has field day)
            @ Kansas City (W - Kansas City sucks)
            Tampa Bay (W - Tampa has more ??? than we do)
            Jacksonville (L - Tough loss, but still a loss)
            @ New England (W- We have their number, Mike is smarter than Bill)
            Miami (W - could be a loss if we come down from big win)
            @ Cleveland (W - Quinn comes in for inconsistant Anderson)
            Oakland (W - Tough game, but we pull it out)
            @ New York (W - We are al over them)
            @ Carolina (L - We have a long lay-off and come out flat on the road)
            Buffalo (W-Cuz I said so)
            @ San Diego (L - But we beat them up, especially P Rivers)

13-3, well we might loss a couple of games that we should win. Who knows what injuries will come up to which teams that will set them back.

? - Will Cutler respond to treatment? Yes, he played well without it, he will be stronger with it.
            ? - Does our RBs stay healthy? Yes, just because someone is going to stay healthy. Badly worded question, and we are not reliant on any one back.
            ? - Does the new o-line gel together? Yes, just when is the question
            ? - Does Marshall's arm get better? Yes.

On defense

? - Is Robertson healthy enough to play? Yes, isn't a guy that misses games due to injury.
            ? - who starts at MLB? Niko or Spencer
            ? - Can the safeties perform at a high level? Do we need Pro-Bowl Safety's? I just want guys that play well.

ST

? - can the unit block & cover as a team? Look at the rookies we brought up, ST demons.
            ? - do we finally have an explosive returner? Can not be any worse.

We fielded a lot of guys that are going to be improvements over the player from last year. We have guys ready to make that next step into Stardom(Cutler, Marshall, Dumervil and Schefler). we have 2nd year DLmen that are going to be better this year. We have address a lot of issues. Now we just need to prove it on the field.
            This is my thoughts on this, but the season is still a long way away.
            Last edited by no-pseudo-fan; 05-13-2008, 11:46 AM.
            Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

I think we go 16-0 and Cutler throws for 5000 yards, 70 TD's, 0 INT's. Champ has 100 tackles, 30 INT's, and 10 FF, 40 TD's. Brandon Marshall get's 1000 receptions and 5000 yards receiving, 70 TD's. T.Henry get's 2500 yards rushing, 40 rushing TD's.

LOL, what's wrong with Homers. Thinking your team has a shot at every game is better than thinking your team is going do horrible. In all seriousness, I think Denver has a shot to make the wild card and even win the division. But that can't happen unless our D plays well and Cutler and the run game does well. Can't predict the W-L record because anything can happen to change the outcome. But I don't think Denver will have another season like last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Accordngs View Post
                I think we can go anywhere from a 7-9 team up to a 12-4 team. We just don't know how certain things are going to work out.

Keep in mind, we were BAD in my mind last year....yet we still were in it. We really shouldn't have lost the GB and Chicago games. Then we would of been 9-7.
                Or if we swept SD, instead of the other way around, we would of won the division.

But I think many of your questions have been answered

OFF:

QB - Cutler played well when it was untreated. So now with ANY treatment should be an upgrade

OL - Very inconsistent last year. It should be 10x better just getting Hamilton and Nalen back. Now add in Clady over a terribly declining Lepsis from last year and we look much better.

RB - We were productive no matter who was in, although never explosive. I hope we can be explosive in the running game like in TD and CP days.

WR - That is a good question, lets hope so!

DEF:

Robertson - He has barely missed any games in his career. I don't think its fair to say will he be "healthy." He has a knee condition, but he's always had it, so I don't expect him to be playing any differently.

MLB - Well Niko was announced as our MLB and I don't see that changing. How he plays though, who knows. But DJ and Boss outside is a huge upgrade from where we were last year. Gold/Webster/Winborn/Whoever were terrible outside last year.

Safeties - Last year our safeties were decimated with injuries. We were playing CB's back there. Now we have a lot of depth. No superstars, but at least we will have some guys who are actually safeties that can play consistent.

ST:

I hope they learn to block. It was just terrible last year. I am not sure which was worse though...that are our ST tackling (or lack thereof)

Explosive returner - That's one reason Shanahan was so high on Royal and took him over guys like Sweed. We have lacked a good returner forever! Now we have one. Royal was money in the return game --- automatic upgrade over the bums we had last year getting us to the 16 yard line.
                Or if we would have just drafted better a few years back we would have a better team and would have won more games.

Or if we hired a real GM we might have better talent and win more games.

Or <insert excuse here>

Comment

Originally posted by kratos_godofwar View Post
                  I think we go 16-0 and Cutler throws for 5000 yards, 70 TD's, 0 INT's. Champ has 100 tackles, 30 INT's, and 10 FF, 40 TD's. Brandon Marshall get's 1000 receptions and 5000 yards receiving, 70 TD's. T.Henry get's 2500 yards rushing, 40 rushing TD's.

LOL, what's wrong with Homers. Thinking your team has a shot at every game is better than thinking your team is going do horrible. In all seriousness, I think Denver has a shot to make the wild card and even win the division. But that can't happen unless our D plays well and Cutler and the run game does well. Can't predict the W-L record because anything can happen to change the outcome. But I don't think Denver will have another season like last year.
                  So Marshall ges all the catches this season? No love for the Scheff? lol
                  sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
                  SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

11-5 winning a tiebreaker with s.d. to win the division,we will see a breakout year for cutler and a solid running game
                    i'm a BRONCO'S fan !:go:

Comment

@ Oakland (L - I think we start out shaky with a bad day from our o-line)
                      San Diego (L - too much talent)
                      New Orleans (W - only reason we win is because we are at home)
                      @ Kansas City (W - Kansas City isn't the team they used to be at home)
                      Tampa Bay (W - Tampa is still growing as a team)
                      Jacksonville (L - all star defense)
                      @ New England (L - We have their number, but not this time)
                      Miami (W - no explanation needed)
                      @ Cleveland (L - Anderson has another big year)
                      Oakland (W - we win at home this time and have payback from opening day)
                      @ New York (L - on the road against that D-line)
                      @ Carolina (W - they aren't the team they used to be)
                      Buffalo (L - payback from last season)
                      @ San Diego (L - The only reason we don't win is they play for Home Field Adv)

so looking at my predictions we finish 8-8, we should be good but not nearly enough for the playoffs and looking at somewhere around 15 - 18th best in the NFL. My big worry is an early season loss at Kansas City and we might be looking at a 1-3 start of the season and then all bets are off.

On defense

? - who starts at MLB

ST

I think some of these questions were addressed during the draft and free agency, but we have a lot of unproven talent on this team that is going to really need to work in order for us to become successful. What does everyone else see our record as?
                      I think we get around ten wins, because some of the ?????? will be resolved.
                      sigpic
                      Made by Houshmazode

Comment

Originally posted by kratos_godofwar View Post

If you can do it Madden....why not in real life?
                        sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by MnF View Post
                          Some of you have some low expectations, I will preach this till the season starts, we had a BILLION injuries, it was a rare season in that regard. We definitely won't be hit with a ton of injuries this year, our OL was decimated, our DL was hit, Lynch was hurt a lot, Henry was hurt. We had like 5-7 starters that were out or had lingering injuries.
                          Add to that a bad defensive scheme without the right personel to back it up, a couple of players who only cared about themselves so there was no team unity, and the fact that Shannahan has never had back to back losing seasons here.

Lot's of people will predict a bad season and call it "realism" while at the same time calling any of us who are capable of seeing the upside "homers".

The fact is, we'll win 10 at least, and 11 or 12 is not out of the realm of possibility.

Comment

8-8 or 9-7. In 2009 we should shine.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Originally posted by ambiguous View Post
                              Wow, I didn't realize we were so low in the power rankings. Looks like it might be another long season.
                              Dude, don't get depressed over power rankings! Look at some old ones prior to the seasons and how many huge misses there were compared to reality (I'll highlight the Broncos):

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerr...on=2007&week=0
                              Broncos rank: #7 -- Finished 7-9 and out of the playoffs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerr...on=2006&week=0
                              Broncos' rank: #4 -- Finished 9-7 and out of the playoffs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerr...on=2005&week=0
                              Broncos' rank: #15 -- Finished 13-3 with AFCCG berth

What do those power rankings have in common? They were WAY off! Rankings this time of year don't mean jack! We'll see what kind of team we have early on, and even get an inkling as to possible improvement in the preseason. But don't go getting depressed over freaking power rankings!
                              "You can't take the sky from me..."
                              ------
                              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Without having seen the team take the field, I'm thinking 9-7 or 10-6. This could easily change if we get good rookie contributions and our defense is even halfway solid this year. But it's still way too early to get a good feel for this team.
                                "You can't take the sky from me..."
                                ------
                                "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Working...
                                X