A Few Good Questions With....DT Carlton Powell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cmhargrove View Post
    Remember that VA Tech was the top rated defense for the last two years, and Powell was an anchor on that line. I don't know what his ceiling is, but he should be ready to contribute his rookie year.

And remember, his real strength is stopping the run. Remember our main weakness last year? This guy was a huge steal, and the Goodman regime is looking better every day. We'll see how that all pans out in Training Camp.
    Bingo, You hit the nail on the head!
    sigpic

Comment

I don't know if he was a huge steal, but hopefully he can rotate with Robertson and provide some sort of run support which we desperately need.
      Goal Line Blitz - It's not a game, It's an addiction.... Proud owner of the Mile High Gladiators and GM of the Mile High Mustangs

Comment

I tihnk he'll be a special teamer his first year but be a solid contributor after a while
        sigpic
        Sig by Blondie79

Comment

The whole holding rb to minus yards goes like this...everyone is assigned a gap if the running back hits your gap and doesn't gain any yards thats how you get that...and as far as his tackles being down they never ran up the middle caues he was always in the backfield belive me I've done my homework on this guy he needs to gain about15 pounds and I belive he can be a young Shaun Rogers ...same type of player.
          sigpic Adopted By:

Comment

during those years.
            Finished his Virginia Tech career as the only Division I-A player who held opponents to negative rushing yards (-13 yds. on 106 att.) on running plays directed at him according to NFLDraftScout.com.
            Had career highs in tackles (39) and sacks (3.5) in 2007 on a Virginia Tech defense that posted top-5 national rankings in scoring defense (3rd), total defense (4th) and rushing defense (5th).
            Started all 13 games for the Hokies in 2006, helping the Hokies lead the nation in scoring defense (11.0 ppg.) and total defense (219.5 ypg.).
            Received all-region honors from PrepStar as a senior at Great Bridge High School in Chesapeake, Va., where he played inside linebacker for three seasons before switching to defensive tackle.
            Selected by the Broncos in the fifth round (148th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft.
            2007: Powell played 14 games (13 starts) as a senior for Virginia Tech, helping the Hokies post top-5 national rankings in scoring defense (3rd - 16.1 ppg.), total defense (4th - 296.9 ypg.) and rushing defense (5th - 86.6 ypg.) while earning a berth in the Orange Bowl... Totaled career highs in tackles (39 / 11 solo) and sacks (3.5-22 yds.)... Credited with making seven tackles in the red zone and had at least four stops in four games.

2006: Powell started all 13 games for Virginia Tech as a junior on a defense that led the nation in scoring defense (11.0 ppg.) and total defense (219.5 ypg.)... Finished with 38 tackles (16 solo), 2.5 sacks (19 yds.), one pass breakup and two fumble recoveries... Helped the Hokies place 11th in the country in rushing defense (91.2 ypg.) and advance to the Chick-fil-A Bowl... Earned the President’s Award for his leadership on defense during offseason and spring workouts.

2005: Powell played 12 games (5 starts) and posted 13 tackles (3 solo) along with half a sack (4 yds.) as a sophomore for Virginia Tech... Started the Gator Bowl against Louisville (1/2)... Was one of two defensive players to earn the Frank O. Moseley Award for his hustle during the offseason and spring practices.
            sigpic Adopted By:

Comment

Working...
            X