Kickoff Returners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickoff Returners

Will Royal return kickoffs too? I know Alridge is supposed to be good for that as well as Hillis and we already had Hall
    sigpic
    Sig by Blondie79

uhhh....yeah,im pretty sure thats why we drafted him.he will be on st all year more than likely wont be in at reciever til 09
    that being said whoever we "already had" wasnt gettin the job done we were close to last in the league for starting field position,just puts to much pressure on the o and causes shanny to have to play conservative when your on your own 10-15 every time.
    royal will be a big help in that dept
    i'm a BRONCO'S fan !:go:

Comment

Royal will be the PUNT return man and some spot kickoff returns, Check the stats we drafted Jack Williams for his 4.28 speed he was a beast on kickoff returns...Royal did some at VT but not all
      sigpic Adopted By:

Comment

Originally posted by Cutler=Elway View Post
        Royal will be the PUNT return man and some spot kickoff returns, Check the stats we drafted Jack Williams for his 4.28 speed he was a beast on kickoff returns...Royal did some at VT but not all
        Which is why I say, while having nothing against Royal, that using a 2nd round pick on a guy who's mostly going to return punts is a bit of a luxury for a team with as many needs as this one. I'm just not down with this pick. And not because I don't like the player, but because a punt returner was far from our most pressing need at this spot.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyTony View Post
          Which is why I say, while having nothing against Royal, that using a 2nd round pick on a guy who's mostly going to return punts is a bit of a luxury for a team with as many needs as this one. I'm just not down with this pick. And not because I don't like the player, but because a punt returner was far from our most pressing need at this spot.
          royal will pan out as a reciever as well imo
          disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Stokley is 31, he can teach royal a thing or 2 before he retires or is replaced and at the least royal will take is spot at the slot
            sigpic

Comment

I am a big fan of Jack Williams but I dont think he will be returning kickoffs. He may not suit up too much in the beginning because we have plenty of CB/DB's suiting up.

I expect Royal to be the return man for Punts and KO's. I am quite excited as he was electric at VaTech and is built to excel in returns at the pro level. The best return men in the league have usually been small guys i.e. Hester, Dante Hall, Maurice Jones Drew, Eddie Drummond, Darrell Green, etc... Big return men like Josh Cribbs have been the exception!

Comment

Ok, I checked the stats and this is what I came up with.....

As a senior, Williams earned All-Mid American Conference second-team honors. He missed the Temple game and the second half of the Northern Illinois clash with a shoulder sprain suffered making a tackle vs. NIU. He produced a career-high 93 tackles (70 solo), ranking second on the team. He added 6.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage, recovering two fumbles and causing another. He picked off three passes, knocked down eight others and averaged 23.5 yards on four kickoff returns.

-The dude had all of 4 ! Something tells me that that is not what the Denver Broncos drafted him for.

Comment

Originally posted by pipes View Post

As a senior, Williams earned All-Mid American Conference second-team honors. He missed the Temple game and the second half of the Northern Illinois clash with a shoulder sprain suffered making a tackle vs. NIU. He produced a career-high 93 tackles (70 solo), ranking second on the team. He added 6.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage, recovering two fumbles and causing another. He picked off three passes, knocked down eight others and averaged 23.5 yards on four kickoff returns.

-The dude had all of 4 ! Something tells me that that is not what the Denver Broncos drafted him for.
                  You're exactly right! You know what they drafted him for? They drafted him for the day they show Bly the door and Foxy follows him out. He will be a good CB. Similar play and style to D Will.

Comment

Originally posted by pipes View Post

Check jr. year's stats as well... He had four this year because he did not come off the field.. He is worth more on Defense than as a returner. He career stats have him avg over 20 yrds per return and that was not a whole lot of returns... that means LOW mileage. Why don't we just wait and see..

BTW, Do you think Shanny would draft anyone who can only do ONE thing for the team? I don't think so....
                    Adopt a Child and Foster a Home
                    YES it is that EASY!

Comment

Originally posted by Aeshun1 View Post
                      Check jr. year's stats as well... He had four this year because he did not come off the field.. He is worth more on Defense than as a returner. He career stats have him avg over 20 yrds per return and that was not a whole lot of returns... that means LOW mileage. Why don't we just wait and see..

BTW, Do you think Shanny would draft anyone who can only do ONE thing for the team? I don't think so....
                      Very good point! CP's to you. As I stated earlier, I think Royal gets the shot first for the reasons I mentioned. Also for politics i.e. Royal is a high draft pick that will have a considerable amount of $$$ tied up and the team will want some kind of return on that $ (punn intended ) fairly quickly.

I expect if he struggles early like Hixon Jack and Aldridge will alternate until a winner is chosen. They will all see duties in the preseason. If we have injury issues at CB again he could step in there as well.

Comment

See, but thats not true. A KR/PR IS one of our most pressing needs. Last year (and Im sure in MANY years prior) Denver ranked at the bottom of the league in starting field position. An effective return game could knock 15-20 yards of EACH DRIVE. Think about it...that two first down we dont have fight for, and twenty yards closer to the endzone each time.

Those yards you gain or lose because of special teams add up very quickly during a game and during a season. Dont underestimate the value of a strong return game, ESPECIALLY with a young QB and ESPECIALLY with a QB with a cannon arm.

If we could start consistently at at least the thirty yard line, with Cutler's arm theoretically every play could be a touchdown.
                        sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

A peak at the future!!!

So this link is for all of those who feel Royal was a waste of a #2 "just to return kicks!"
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rloo1...eature=related

And here is a little peak at Jack on a nasty CB Blitz!
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymtWVnD7mB4

I hope to see a lot of that on Sundays this year!
                          Last edited by jhildebrand; 05-15-2008, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr3yStreet View Post
                            See, but thats not true. A KR/PR IS one of our most pressing needs. Last year (and Im sure in MANY years prior) Denver ranked at the bottom of the league in starting field position. .
                            Starting field position is a misunderstood stat by many. It is effected FAR more by two things: turning the ball over on your own side of the field and NOT forcing turnovers. This has been killing the Broncos for the last two years. They are turning the ball over way more than they are forcing them, and they are doing it at midfield or in their own end a lot. This kills the field position stat.

Originally posted by Gr3yStreet View Post
                            An effective return game could knock 15-20 yards of EACH DRIVE. Think about it...that two first down we dont have fight for, and twenty yards closer to the endzone each time.
                            Not true. The difference between the worst kick return teams and the best kick return teams is not that big. Look at the numbers from last year:

Kick Returns

Best team was Cleveland, averaging 27 yards per return
                            Worst was Chicago, averaging 18 yards per return
                            Denver was in the middle, averaging 22 yards per return

So, for all the crap they got about poor starting field position, it clearly wasn't because of kick returns. They did average there (not great, but not anywhere near the bottom)

Punt Returns

Best was Buffalo's Roscoe Parrish averaging 16.3 yards per return.
                            Worst was Adam Jennings of Atlanta averaging 6.2.
                            Again, Denver was average, with Glenn Martinez averaging 11.2 yds per return.

So neither kick returns nor punt returns were to blame for their last place starting field position, so it must be something else. Turnovers people.

Anyone expecting 15-20 yards of field position on EACH drive just because of the returner is dreaming.

Comment

Great post, Beantown. These guys who think Royal is going to come in and dramatically alter our field position situation are drastically mistaken. Can he improve the situation? Possibly. But he's a small factor in the bigger picture for the reasons you pointed out so well.

Football is won and lost in the trenches. Denver got owned in the trenches in too many games last year. Teams with this problem should not be drafting return men in the 2nd round. It's really rather simple and I'm disappointed that more here who proclaim to know something about the sport don't seem to understand this.

Comment

Working...
                              X