No announcement yet.

Daryl Gardener's Judgement Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i hope he straightens up and apologizes so we could use him cause he IS a great player and we cant afford to cut him
    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Re: who does daryl gardener......

Originally posted by bronco30
      think he is besides a big over paid baby
      It's because he's a big baby that he probably won't play for the Broncos again. Daryl would have to swallow his pride, admit he was wrong, and apologize (to his teammates, at least) before he could be an effective part of the defense again. That's what a man would do, not a big baby.

I doubt it will happen but I'd love to be surprised.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Not a cap expert ...

Originally posted by Return of Lava
        i hope he straightens up and apologizes so we could use him cause he IS a great player and we cant afford to cut him
        When you say afford, I assume you mean either on the field or in the salary cap. Is there a scenario where a team can rid itself of a player without taking a cap hit (besides a trade).

For example, say Billy Bob is arrested & convicted of a felony and goes to jail. Would his team still have to count his money towards the cap?

I'm not in the least implying this is the case with Mr. Gardner, but it seems that there should be some recourse for teams.
        Despite all the hype, once you finally get a hammer, you don't hammer nearly as much as you think you will.

Comment

daryl will have to probably pay the guy he beat up at the IHOP in july. he sued gardener i just heard. so whatever he makes, he probably wont keep it.
          dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

We can try to recoup part of the signing bonus, but if we let Gardner go the hit would be sizeable.
            The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by booher
              athletes sign guaranteed contracts for a reason.........see albert bell and the orioles...........they get paid no matter what
              i suppose if he quit playing altogether he would have breached the contract by failing to perform. does a guaranteed contract mean a player can go on the field and just jog around and still get paid?
              sigpic
              go broncos
              share the sidewalk
              liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

I know contracts in the NFL are not usually guaranteed; the player can get cut at any time and not expect to be paid the full amount of the contract. Now the signing bonuses are guaranteed but pro-rated over the life of the contract, but I didn't know if there was any way to get the signing bonus back (the Lions were going to try to do that with Barry Sanders when he retired early, but decided not to from a public relations standpoint).

But it would seem highly unfair to the Broncos (or any other team) if they had to count the signing bonus against the cap in the case of the bad apple. I'm sure there's another side to it, but it doesn't seem quite fair to count against the cap when there's no benefit going to the team.

As I understand it, say Elway signed a 3-year contract to cover the 1997-1999 seasons, with a $10 million signing bonus ($3.3 million of salary counts against 97-98 & 99) but he retires after 2 years. I understand having to count his money because it was used to get him to sign. But in the case of a player who simply quits or is suspended for just cause, it just doesn't seem right.

Oh well, it's just a game.
                Despite all the hype, once you finally get a hammer, you don't hammer nearly as much as you think you will.

Comment

Originally posted by ReasonableChief
                  [B]I know contracts in the NFL are not usually guaranteed; the player can get cut at any time and not expect to be paid the full amount of the contract. Now the signing bonuses are guaranteed but pro-rated over the life of the contractB]
                  oic. so if you cut someone, you still have to keep paying their signing bonus every year, or do you have to pay it all at once? anyone know what his signing bonus and length of contract are?
                  sigpic
                  go broncos
                  share the sidewalk
                  liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

Re: Not a cap expert ...

Originally posted by ReasonableChief
                    ...For example, say Billy Bob is arrested & convicted of a felony and goes to jail. Would his team still have to count his money towards the cap?
                    There are a few items in certain contracts that would release a player and the team of further financial obligation, thus releasing the cap, however, most agents will not allow their players to sign a contract like that. They know if their bread is not getting buttered it's pretty dry
                    Captain Kirk

Comment

Originally posted by booher
                      athletes sign guaranteed contracts for a reason.........see albert bell and the orioles...........they get paid no matter what
                      In the NFL, generally only a portion of your contract is guaranteed, unlike baseball or basketball where it is almost all guaranteed.

Generally, there is a 2 or 3 years base salary that is guaranteed, the rest being signing bonuses and incentive-based bonuses.

So when you hear of a 5 year, 25 Million contract, the guaranteed part might only be 3 years, 10 million, with a X million signing bonus, which gets paid over the guaranteed years, and the rest being incentives.

Some players want the bonus all up front, which hurts the teams cap for that year, but the goo dthing is that if you cut a player later, and he has taken his whole bonus up front, the cap hit is smaller in that later season.

While I am no accountant, and I am not particulalry familiar with Gardener's contract, I would imagine that cutting him at the end of the season would still have something count against the salary cap for next season. I think it would be clear for 2005.

This is very unlike MLB, where Mike Hampton is still getting money from the Mets and the Rockies, even though he no longer plays in either place.

What excactly is the expected salary cap for next year? And what are the sanctions if you go over it? big fines? loss of ownership? It must be something big, because no one ever even dares to try it. No that I am encouraging it, but you would think some jackass owner would say "screw the cap, I want to win a Super Bowl" unless there was some real penalty involved.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
                      You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared

What excactly is the expected salary cap for next year? And what are the sanctions if you go over it? big fines? loss of ownership? It must be something big, because no one ever even dares to try it. No that I am encouraging it, but you would think some jackass owner would say "screw the cap, I want to win a Super Bowl" unless there was some real penalty involved.
                        I don't think there's a penalty for going over because you simply can't do it. The NFL has to approve all contracts, and teams have to cut players and restructure contracts to get under it. There is no luxury tax like baseball, but the cap is firm and is adhered to. I've never heard of a team being penalized for it because you can't proceed without being under the cap.

I think.

Comment

HELLOOOO did anybody know gardener got sued for his pancake fight?

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Working...
                          X