Top 3 'surprise' cuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 3 'surprise' cuts?

well, its almost june 1st so the cuts are coming. there's normally a few surprises so lets have a look.

here are my top 3, maybe not massive surprises but not scrubs either.

1 - MIKE BELL - he will be gone. we will keep HENRY/YOUNG/TORAIN/HALL as RB'S and HILLIS/SAPP as FB'S who can run the ball if needed. i felt bell overachieved a little in his rookie year but his potential was very limited. a little small and does'nt have great speed, he is a tough player but not good enough IMO at either RB or FB position.

2 - NATE WEBSTER - this guy tackles almost as badly as ian gold did and if he isn't celebrating a tackle 15 yards downfield then he's picking up his helmet thats fallen off again!! i just don't believe this guy is worth keeping around and i have alot of belief that larsen could play the back-up MLB role and if there's any major problems this season then DJ can move back across and someone else can fill in at OLB (although only if there's a few injuries as we don't want DJ to keep moving and he's much better as an OLB) - i just don't think websters good enough to keep around.

3 - GLENN MARTINEZ - i think he was gone as soon as royal was drafted. royal takes over as a returner and the back-up slot behind stokely. martinez did a decent job last year but he is very limited in the receiving game and struggles at times to get seperation, mainly due to his lack of strength, and was always a very average returner who offered very little. a good return one week against the titans but did he ever look dangerous at THAT speed???

well, thats JMO - who are your cuts?
    Last edited by bronx_2003; 05-18-2008, 04:09 PM.

Cuts?

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    well, its almost june 1st so the cuts are coming. there's normally a few surprises so lets have a look.

here are my top 3, maybe not massive surprises but not scrubs either.

1 - MIKE BELL - he will be gone. we will keep HENRY/YOUNG/TORAIN/HALL as RB'S and HILLIS/SAPP as FB'S who can run the ball if needed. i felt bell overachieved a little in his rookie year but his potential was very limited. a little small and does'nt have great speed, he is a tough player but not good enough IMO at either RB or FB position.

2 - NATE WEBSTER - this guy tackles almost as badly as ian gold did and if he isn't celebrating a tackle 15 yards downfield then he's picking up his helmet thats fallen off again!! i just don't believe this guy is worth keeping around and i have alot of belief that larsen could play the back-up MLB role and if there's any major problems this season then DJ can move back across and someone else can fill in at OLB (although only if there's a few injuries as we don't want DJ to keep moving and he's much better as an OLB) - i just don't think websters good enough to keep around.

3 - GLENN MARTINEZ - i think he was gone as soon as royal was drafted. royal takes over as a returner and the back-up slot behind stokely. martinez did a decent job last year but he is very limited in the receiving game and struggles at times to get seperation, mainly due to his lack of strength, and was always a very average returner who offered very little. a good return one week against the titans but did he ever look dangerous at THAT speed???

well, thats JMO - who are your cuts?
    How about Alvin McKinley? Hamza Abdullah? Travis Henry? Cecil Sapp?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      Why would we cut one of our only consistant defensive line players from last year? And Hamza was a demon on special teams. Travis is our best running back if he is healthy. Cecil I agree with.
      sigpic

Comment

mckinley - we are thin at DT and he is a pretty good rotational guy who fits our new system very well.

abdullah - he is fairly young and flashes potential, probably worth keeping.

henry - he is our #1 back and was running really well the first 5 weeks of last year before he was injured and a few OL went down.

sapp - maybe but i think we keep 6 RB/FB's and bells the man to go. we seem to like sapps hands out the backfield.

Comment

The question mark is intended to convey ...

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
          mckinley - we are thin at DT and he is a pretty good rotational guy who fits our new system very well.

abdullah - he is fairly young and flashes potential, probably worth keeping.

henry - he is our #1 back and was running really well the first 5 weeks of last year before he was injured and a few OL went down.

sapp - maybe but i think we keep 6 RB/FB's and bells the man to go. we seem to like sapps hands out the backfield.
          ... the subjunctive nature of the comment. I.E., speculative-just like this thread.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

... the subjunctive nature of the comment. I.E., speculative-just like this thread.
            i know, i wasn't being aggressive, just stating my opinion

Comment

Jay Cutler- In a surprise plot twist, Elway comes into training camp under an assumed name following massive reconstructive plastic surgury and steals the job from the young Cutler. Following the cut, Jay is overheard saying "double U-Tee-eff?"

(Side Note: who knew the letters *** were a censored "word"?!?)

Champ Bailey- During the new "self actualization and realization" training, Champ goes into a fit of crying after coming to grips with the fact that the title "Boss" outranks "Champ". He is found later that week in a pool of his blessed mothers blood rocking back and forth muttering "She always loved him best"

Mike Shanahan- While not actually a "cut" per se, Mike is arrested and charged with several illegal activities relating to a laboratory found in a small locked hanger in Dove Valley. Many vials of DNA are confiscated, including John Elway's, Terrell Davis', and Eddy Mac's. Shanny's spine chilling cackle is recorded and played repeatedly on ESPN "Muahahahah!"

All predictions guaranteed wrong, or your money back!

T777
              Last edited by Trench777; 05-18-2008, 04:53 PM. Reason: W-T-F
              "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Trench777 View Post
                Jay Cutler- In a surprise plot twist, Elway comes into training camp under an assumed name following massive reconstructive plastic surgury and steals the job from the young Cutler. Following the cut, Jay is overheard saying "double U-Tee-eff?"

(Side Note: who knew the letters *** were a censored "word"?!?)

Champ Bailey- During the new "self actualization and realization" training, Champ goes into a fit of crying after coming to grips with the fact that the title "Boss" outranks "Champ". He is found later that week in a pool of his blessed mothers blood rocking back and forth muttering "She always loved him best"

Mike Shanahan- While not actually a "cut" per se, Mike is arrested and charged with several illegal activities relating to a laboratory found in a small locked hanger in Dove Valley. Many vials of DNA are confiscated, including John Elway's, Terrell Davis', and Eddy Mac's. Shanny's spine chilling cackle is recorded and played repeatedly on ESPN "Muahahahah!"

All predictions guaranteed wrong, or your money back!

T777

Comment

Quick question. Did we cut Nick Ferguson? I thought I read something about that. Or maybe I am confusing that with the whole Javon Walker to raiders thing.
                  SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighStud View Post
                    Quick question. Did we cut Nick Ferguson? I thought I read something about that. Or maybe I am confusing that with the whole Javon Walker to raiders thing.
                    yeah, houston picked him up

Comment

I expect Sapp to be gone. He's not a great reciever or blocker. He's my adopted Bronco, but I expect Hillis, Sheffer, and Graham. I think we keep Hall because of speed.
                      sigpic

Comment

I could see a scenario in which either Selvin Young or Travis Henry is cut.

It's not likely, but it's possible.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

i think martinez is gone, sapp AND bell are gonna be cut and that kicker i think his last name is prater? but yea i think he's gone...
                          Will the real #6 please stand up!

The future!

R.I.P.D-Will and Sean Taylor.

Comment

For our runningbacks/fullbacks:

Ryan Torain will either make the roster or go to PUP so he won't be cut in any scenario. Selvin Young will make the roster unless he gets injured and goes to IR or PUP. Travis Henry will make the roster unless Ryan Torain and Mike Bell both make the roster. Andre Hall or Anthony Aldridge will make the roster, the other will go to PS (Aldridge) or be cut (Hall). Mike Bell has to beat out Travis Henry unless Torain goes to PUP, then Bell can make the roster as 4th RB. Cecil Sapp will make the roster unless Mike Bell has a stellar camp. Peyton Hillis will make the roster unless he is injured.

WR:

Marshall, Stokley and Royal will make the roster. Jackson, Parker, Colbert, Martinez et al will fight for 2/3 spots. Colbert and Jackson have the inside track, but nothing is written in stone. I believe Jackson will make the roster and will be a day 1 starter, Colbert will have a good camp, but fail to stand out in preseason games but will make the roster. I think Martinez and Parker will both be cut.

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighStud View Post
                              Nick Ferguson was an unrestricted free agent that Denver just didn't want back.

As bad as the talent and depth on this team is, I don't know if there are many players that you could call a surprise cut, if you think he'll make the team he probably will and if you think there is a chance he could get cut it isn't a surprise if he does.

Ekuban, Mallard and Peterson. One of these could get cut and would be a mild surprise.

Louis Green could get cut and would be a mild surprise considering he just signed a 3 year contract extension a year ago.

Hamilton would definitely qualify as a surprise, but that's just wishful thinking on my part, so I'm gonna go with Casey Weigman......
                              Last edited by stnzed; 05-18-2008, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X