Defensive shemes we should run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tante_vasquez View Post
    what the hell are you talking about running down versus passing down. Any good QB will take one look at the defense, call an audible and score a touchdown on our obvious defenses, this isn't flag football.
    so do you think the other team would run on a 3rd and 15 play? or maybe pass when their winning and have the ball in the last 2 minutes?
    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Originally posted by tante_vasquez View Post
      what the hell are you talking about running down versus passing down. Any good QB will take one look at the defense, call an audible and score a touchdown on our obvious defenses, this isn't flag football.

Once again I said opposing personnel would be more accurate than rushing downs/passing downs. If you see 2 TEs and a FB, run your 4-4-3 guys out there. Opposing QBs can call pass all they want, we still have the personnel on the field to match up with them.

Is it really that hard to substitute Spenser and Woodyard in and and a safety and Boss out? You make it sound like Woodyard in instead of Boss is going to make the D completely predictable. When all you are doing is bringing in a couple guys that can be more physical in the box.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
      J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
      R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

You may want to check on ...

Originally posted by Cutler2007 View Post
        Once again I said opposing personnel would be more accurate than rushing downs/passing downs. If you see 2 TEs and a FB, run your 4-4-3 guys out there. Opposing QBs can call pass all they want, we still have the personnel on the field to match up with them.

Is it really that hard to substitute Spenser and Woodyard in and and a safety and Boss out? You make it sound like Woodyard in instead of Boss is going to make the D completely predictable. When all you are doing is bringing in a couple guys that can be more physical in the box.
        ... exactly how much time there is between plays; and, the substitution rule(s).
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I have a couple issues with your schemes, but you really didn't leave it open to wanting feedback. So I'd just like to state a couple of facts, Boss Bailey has shut down Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates on every occasion they've faced each other (including last season). So it will be nice to be able to free up Champ, who covers Gates predominantly when we play the Chargers.

Spencer Larsen has not even proven to be more than a late-round draft pick, but he's not an Outside Linebacker, not even in college. Then again Josh Barrett is not even a Linebacker. Although the "in the box" Safety may be a thing of the past, we still have John Lynch whom wouldn't hurt to be in on "rushing downs".

Good insight though and you have something going with the four Defensive Ends, it actually worked for the most part with Indianapolis until they were finally able to adjust. Off season's fun, good work.
          I am Ian from BroncoTalk.net
          Official Member of Team:
          Champ Bailey and Lance Ball.

Comment

hey whats up with your sig???

it says team elevation=teamianisalwaysright

i tried to click the link but its gone, what was that about?????

Comment

Defenses/some things to consider:

Running the big guys back and forth from the sideline during a series of downs can be counterproductive. The sideline is almost a forty yard sprint to most places on the field where the ball is spotted keeping in mind that NFL hashmarks are in the center of the field. After a change of possesion, the DL can have a leisurely stroll to the huddle during the TV timeout.

The Xs & Os of football are truly fascinating and the history of different kinds of offenses and defenses can consume a lot of hardcore study time. All levels of football are interesting for this reason. Each system has its advantages and disadvantages.

One thing to remember about defense, though, is that the offense dictates how the D lines up. Each defensive player has a spot to be depending on what formation the O comes out in. That's why certain defensive alignments/systems are adopted and why it's best to stay within the concept. In football, as in most things, simpler is better. Especially in football. You want your defensive players to fly around and hit the offense, not to be continuously thinking about what we're in; how the reads differ; what am I supossed to do now?

I think what you'll see from the Broncos this year will mostly be a gap-control 4-3 with line slants, stunts; twists with the backers; every blitz package/combo you can think of; and, multiple coverages. There will be some lineup switches in nickel and dime coverages/3rd & long, but mostly we'll see the 4-3.

So, instead of running the big DL back and forth, why not rotate and rest them for maximum output? In this context, don't be surprised to see Elvis Dumervil mostly as a PRS. In that role I could see him getting twenty sacks. He would be totally change of pace with his super-quick upfield rip move which leaves a B-gap blitz wide open for DJ, maybe?
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I keep hearing a lot of complaining about Boss Bailey. I'm not going to sit here and try to say he's a great player, but I think he has a lot more potential than people are giving him credit for. Sure he didn't stand out when he played for the Lions, but then again who on the Lions Defense did stand out?

Face the facts: The Lions are the longest running joke in the NFL. That team is horrible. Even the best players in the league would look bad if they played for the Lions. It is a marvel in and of itself that Barry Sanders managed to look so good for so long playing for that team.

I think we should at least see what Boss can do on a real team before we write him off.
                Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
                  hey whats up with your sig???

it says team elevation=teamianisalwaysright

i tried to click the link but its gone, what was that about?????
                  The thread got deleted. It was the one where you bet me that Mike Bell would be a starter and I bet you that he wouldn't. I even gave you the Travis Henry buffer, but you insisted that he would be ahead of Selvin Young and Aaron Hall on the depth chart.

The bet was that you would change your name to iansalwaysright if I won and I would change my name to elevationsalwaysright if i lost.

Don't make me search the cache, if you "don't remember".
                  I am Ian from BroncoTalk.net
                  Official Member of Team:
                  Champ Bailey and Lance Ball.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cutler2007;2209024]Looking over our new personnel, here is a couple new schemes I would like to see on defense.

4-4-3 running downs

LDE Crowder
                    LDT Robertson
                    RDT Thomas
                    RDE Ekuban

ROLB Woodyard
                    RILB DJ
                    LILB Niko
                    LOLB Spenser

LCB Champ
                    RCB Bly
                    S McCree

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                    Lynch already kind of plays the Linebacker position in our defense, so in a sense your idea for the 4-4-3 is not far off.
                    What he said. Taking Lynch off the field on any play where the play is expected to be a run is just silly, IMHO - even at his advanced age.

Comment

Working...
                    X