Changes in offensive philosophy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes in offensive philosophy??

No one in the boards are talking about this much but does anyone think the departure of Mike Heimerdinger and the emergence of a new OC in our system has any affect on the Broncos offensive playcalling and schemes?

Usually in other teams, the assignation of a new OC has a great affect on the upcoming year, but a team like the Broncos where the Head coach carries much of the load esp. in our offense, will we see anything new in our offense next year? (more specifically in a few months)

More importantly, how do you guys think Cutler will handle a kind of offensive change(if any)? Many young QBs have struggled with this concept i.e. Alex Smith, even Philip Rivers.

Food for thought: Not that offensive change is always terrible. I wouldn't mind opening up passing plays for Cutler .

I tend to think the playbook usually travels with the head coach, unless it's a defensive minded coach who depends on an OC for that. It's no secret that Shanny has called the plays in this town since he got here. If there's any changes, it'll be how much we run the ball, according to who's got the guts to carry it, and how the playbook will be opened up with a healthy Jay in his 2nd full year. (We could argue it's his third.)
    sigpicCheck out "Broncos song" on youtube. Unless you are a judge in the Broncos Country Talent Search.

Comment

It will be another Passing type year.

Look at the state of our O-line and our run game

we will depend mostly on passing, screen and short passing this upcoming year.

Running will be seldom as for the most part we do not have a highly talented running back core even with the the two new additions.

our O-line will be mostly new at the tackle positions so look for that to hinder the run game as well.

We will have to pass not because the broncos want to they will have to pass because they need to.
      McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoKazuki View Post
        It will be another Passing type year.

Look at the state of our O-line and our run game

we will depend mostly on passing, screen and short passing this upcoming year.

Running will be seldom as for the most part we do not have a highly talented running back core even with the the two new additions.

our O-line will be mostly new at the tackle positions so look for that to hinder the run game as well.

We will have to pass not because the broncos want to they will have to pass because they need to.

you crack me up bro, i always get a lugh because you have been on a mission about our RB situation. in any case, rather than argue with you........i will say this i think that we will open our playbook up more this year than we did last year and i dont think our playcalling will be as weak as it was last year

Comment

Originally posted by kdayZn View Post
          No one in the boards are talking about this much but does anyone think the departure of Mike Heimerdinger and the emergence of a new OC in our system has any affect on the Broncos offensive playcalling and schemes?

Usually in other teams, the assignation of a new OC has a great affect on the upcoming year, but a team like the Broncos where the Head coach carries much of the load esp. in our offense, will we see anything new in our offense next year? (more specifically in a few months)

More importantly, how do you guys think Cutler will handle a kind of offensive change(if any)? Many young QBs have struggled with this concept i.e. Alex Smith, even Philip Rivers.

Food for thought: Not that offensive change is always terrible. I wouldn't mind opening up passing plays for Cutler .
          Before Heimerdinger I wouldn't have thought so, but we lost Kubes and the offense the next year averaged 17 points a game with the same personnel that went to the AFC Championship game. We replaced Plummer with Cutler and did a little better, but mostly I think that was a combination of rookies like Sheffler figuring out the game and teams not having film on Cutler to prepare.

The following year, with a better offensive cast, the Heimerdinger led, Cutler quarterbacked offense again averaged 17 points a game. Now that Dinger is gone, I look forward to seeing if we can get our offense back on track while Dinger goes to screw up Vince Young's career.
          You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

You're right on!

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
            you crack me up bro, i always get a lugh because you have been on a mission about our RB situation. in any case, rather than argue with you........i will say this i think that we will open our playbook up more this year than we did last year and i dont think our playcalling will be as weak as it was last year
            Our play calling, for the last couple of years, was about like lt's been since the days of Big John, TD etc. The reason we haven't been able to score in the red zone are numerous but they all boil down to, weakness on the o-line, lack of a true blocking fullback.

Comment

I don't know many things, but I do know if they cant run the ball, and STOP the run, they will be in BIG TROUBLE this year! Better have a running game!

Comment

Originally posted by olgrouch View Post
                Our play calling, for the last couple of years, was about like lt's been since the days of Big John, TD etc. The reason we haven't been able to score in the red zone are numerous but they all boil down to, weakness on the o-line, lack of a true blocking fullback.

actually we had some pretty piss poor playcalling like trying to let selvin run it in 2 times in a row (the dude is not a goaline possibility plain and simple). cutler also had some rough throws in the redzone, and we werent nearly as creative in the redzone as we have been regardless of our line or lack of true blocking FB.

many times we could have done little tight end rollouts or FB rollouts like we did previous years, but we were conservative last year plain and simple.

we also lacked a power guy because henry was hurt in goaline situations. if bell was helthy he would have been good to use in goalline situations becasue that dude knew how to get in the endzone.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
                  Before Heimerdinger I wouldn't have thought so, but we lost Kubes and the offense the next year averaged 17 points a game with the same personnel that went to the AFC Championship game. We replaced Plummer with Cutler and did a little better, but mostly I think that was a combination of rookies like Sheffler figuring out the game and teams not having film on Cutler to prepare.

The following year, with a better offensive cast, the Heimerdinger led, Cutler quarterbacked offense again averaged 17 points a game. Now that Dinger is gone, I look forward to seeing if we can get our offense back on track.
                  What Rogue 719 said.
                  Last edited by LarryDean; 05-21-2008, 04:46 AM.
                  :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

I see us improving on offense by at least 1 TD a game.

Why?
                    O-line is more stable this year.
                    3rd year for Scheff, Jay, B-marsh
                    Ryan Clady
                    Colbert blocks, Walker no so much
                    Royal gets us 10 to 15 yards more field position
                    Mike is Mad and will will us to it.
                    Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

Our depth at WR is much better than last year and with another year under his belt Cutler will be much better too. We also have healthy TEs (so far ) and a receiving fullback in camp. This will be only Cutler's second year starting (game wise anyway) and the passing playbook will be opened a little for him. That will make the run game game all that much better too. last year the run game struggled because teams knew we couldn't pass after the injuries. Look for the Broncos to be in the top 5 in rushing this year!! that's right I said it...top 5.
                      sigpic

Comment

It's not about the WR's or RB's. Our offensive line was horrible last year. Jay rarely had time to set up and survey the field. The O-line couldn't run block, and couldn't keep a pocket around Jay. That's why the Broncos spent the 12th pick in the draft on Clady, and thier 3rd pick in the draft on a center. They're both big, nasty, and can hold up at the point of attack. Lichtensteiger won't start this year, but look for him to be a solid part of the O-line in 2-3 years. It all starts up front, and things are looking up.

Hillis will also help open up the playbook. He has great hands, and can be used in a variety of ways on the field. Look for Shanny to start opening up more of the playbook over the next 2 or 3 seasons as the O-line progresses. He's bringing in bigger stronger lineman that can hold up at the point of attack. Kuper, Clady, Lichtensteiger, Harris are all over 300 pounds and nimble enough to run the ZBS while holding up a pocket for Cutty. Add Holland to that line, and you have 5 300 pounders. Has Denver ever had that much beef on the line? I don't think so.

Comment

It's Shanahan's Offense.

Heimerdinger's title at Tennessee is actually a demotion from that which he held with the Broncos. He didn't have control of the offense in Denver.

Rick Dennison holds the title of OC, but he mostly breaks down the blocking assignments for the running game. Jeremy Bates is the QB coach. Jedd Fisch is the new receivers coach. A development which has gone somewhat unnoticed is Steve Watson's new title of Associate Head Coach. He was a receiver and the receivers coach. Look for him to be working with Shanahan, Dennison and Bates on the offense. Watson's title seems very similar to Heimerdinger's former one.

I heard a presentation by Heimerdinger at a coaching clinic years ago when he was the Broncos receivers coach, I believe, and wasn't that impressed at the time. He seemed to be trying to impress us though. Should've gone to the Blinn Jr. College coach's presentation instead. I won't miss him as a Bronco assistant coach. Like everyone else, I miss Kubiak.

Question is, who is on the sideline and who is in the box (coaches', that is)? Last time I watched a Bronco game, it sure seemed like Shanahan was talking to someone on the headset. The other offensive guy in the box, to whom Shanahan is presumably speaking (in Cutler's ear, too), is the important other guy about whom you are inquiring.

So, Shanahan is on the sideline. Any of the other offensive coaches also on the sideline do not have much input into the playcalling. They do, however, make adjustments with the players when the starting offense is on the sideline. Sideline offensive coaches will probably be Dennison, Turner, McPherson and Fisch. Their job is very important.

The offensive coaches in the box wearing headsets are in communication with Shanahan and Cutler. Those are your assistant OCs, and I'm thinking Watson and Bates and possibly Baker. The box guys are essential for watching the opponent's D since Shanahan can't really get a good look at that from the sideline.

As a disciple of the Walsh school of football, Shanahan's first dozen to twenty plays will be scripted and called in that order except for certain situations. Those plays are on a special list categorized by situation (i.e., FP, D&D). The purpose of the script is for the box coaches to see how the D reacts to it. Expect to see a strong running game to set up PAP and to lure defenders into the tackle box. Zone stretch with cutback and boot will still be bread and butter for the Broncos plus attacking any defensive adjustments that attempt to deal with it. If the Broncos can find a reliable speed receiver to stretch the secondary, Shanahan does like to air it out as a complement to the strong running game.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            Heimerdinger's title at Tennessee is actually a demotion from that which he held with the Broncos. He didn't have control of the offense in Denver.

Rick Dennison holds the title of OC, but he mostly breaks down the blocking assignments for the running game. Jeremy Bates is the QB coach. Jedd Fisch is the new receivers coach. A development which has gone somewhat unnoticed is Steve Watson's new title of Associate Head Coach. He was a receiver and the receivers coach. Look for him to be working with Shanahan, Dennison and Bates on the offense. Watson's title seems very similar to Heimerdinger's former one.

I heard a presentation by Heimerdinger at a coaching clinic years ago when he was the Broncos receivers coach, I believe, and wasn't that impressed at the time. He seemed to be trying to impress us though. Should've gone to the Blinn Jr. College coach's presentation instead. I won't miss him as a Bronco assistant coach. Like everyone else, I miss Kubiak.

Question is, who is on the sideline and who is in the box (coaches', that is)? Last time I watched a Bronco game, it sure seemed like Shanahan was talking to someone on the headset. The other offensive guy in the box, to whom Shanahan is presumably speaking (in Cutler's ear, too), is the important other guy about whom you are inquiring.

So, Shanahan is on the sideline. Any of the other offensive coaches also on the sideline do not have much input into the playcalling. They do, however, make adjustments with the players when the starting offense is on the sideline. Sideline offensive coaches will probably be Dennison, Turner, McPherson and Fisch. Their job is very important.

The offensive coaches in the box wearing headsets are in communication with Shanahan and Cutler. Those are your assistant OCs, and I'm thinking Watson and Bates and possibly Baker. The box guys are essential for watching the opponent's D since Shanahan can't really get a good look at that from the sideline.

As a disciple of the Walsh school of football, Shanahan's first dozen to twenty plays will be scripted and called in that order except for certain situations. Those plays are on a special list categorized by situation (i.e., FP, D&D). The purpose of the script is for the box coaches to see how the D reacts to it. Expect to see a strong running game to set up PAP and to lure defenders into the tackle box. Zone stretch with cutback and boot will still be bread and butter for the Broncos plus attacking any defensive adjustments that attempt to deal with it. If the Broncos can find a reliable speed receiver to stretch the secondary, Shanahan does like to air it out as a complement to the strong running game.
                            Yeah I agree...this is Shanny's offense. He has always had a hand in it (even when Kubiak was OC). However I think Shanny trusted Kubiak enough to run the offense and give his opinion or veto power before the call was given to Cutler. Not sure how much input the other guys had or will have, the only thing we can be sure of is Shanny will have final say.

Thx,
                            Joe
                            To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post

and its people like you who keep thinking our Running Back core is good enough to be in that top 5 when its clearly not.

Im sorry but I think every year the Broncos go without quality talent at the Running back position only shortens the abilities of what kind of plays we can call for the Offense.

Just like our QB before Cutler limited the kind of plays we could call for passing, our run game is doing the same thing as of now.

Paint, spin it any which way you want Ele but the fact is even tho the yardage is high the TD to yard radito is low.

I mean last years TD to yards radio was 1 TD for every 190 yards. Thats absurd and the thing is how much is due to the O-line and how much is due to our RB's. Yet our RB's even with a poor O-line pulled a whopping 1900 yards and how many backs did we run to gain that 1900 yard total? 4 backs total 1 FB and 1 QB. Yet minus the 2 other runners, a total 4 RBs could not at all score even more then 8 TD's combined.

Now the arguement can be placed that its due to the O-line that our RB's could not score more TD's yet Ponder this, if our O-line was good enough that a total of 4 backs racked up 1700+ yards yet only they managed 8 TD's the question can be asked how much of the deficient of our inability to score TD's lands on the RB's and onto the O-line

I beg to ponder its more then what you will say. Its probably 70% on the inablity of our RB's and 30% due to a injured O-line
                              McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X