Changes in offensive philosophy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BroncoKazuki View Post
    and its people like you who keep thinking our Running Back core is good enough to be in that top 5 when its clearly not.
    Why would fans think such a thing I wonder

Originally posted by By Ben Rubin
    Since 1995, the Broncos have only finished outside the top 10 in team rushing yardage one time, and they have finished in the top five nine times.
    :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
      Why would fans think such a thing I wonder
      pragmatism?

I personally don't think a fan should be attacked for not thinking the Broncos are going to finish in the top five in all categories and compete for the Super Bowl. We all HOPE the Broncos do that, but some of us aren't setting ourselves up for the same disappointment we felt last year.

However, I guarantee that the same fans you question will be in front of the TV during the games (if they aren't in the stadium) and cheering and shouting and jumping up and down at big plays as the homers who think they can do no wrong.
      You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        Heimerdinger's title at Tennessee is actually a demotion from that which he held with the Broncos. He didn't have control of the offense in Denver.

Rick Dennison holds the title of OC, but he mostly breaks down the blocking assignments for the running game. Jeremy Bates is the QB coach. Jedd Fisch is the new receivers coach. A development which has gone somewhat unnoticed is Steve Watson's new title of Associate Head Coach. He was a receiver and the receivers coach. Look for him to be working with Shanahan, Dennison and Bates on the offense. Watson's title seems very similar to Heimerdinger's former one.

I heard a presentation by Heimerdinger at a coaching clinic years ago when he was the Broncos receivers coach, I believe, and wasn't that impressed at the time. He seemed to be trying to impress us though. Should've gone to the Blinn Jr. College coach's presentation instead. I won't miss him as a Bronco assistant coach. Like everyone else, I miss Kubiak.

Question is, who is on the sideline and who is in the box (coaches', that is)? Last time I watched a Bronco game, it sure seemed like Shanahan was talking to someone on the headset. The other offensive guy in the box, to whom Shanahan is presumably speaking (in Cutler's ear, too), is the important other guy about whom you are inquiring.

So, Shanahan is on the sideline. Any of the other offensive coaches also on the sideline do not have much input into the playcalling. They do, however, make adjustments with the players when the starting offense is on the sideline. Sideline offensive coaches will probably be Dennison, Turner, McPherson and Fisch. Their job is very important.

The offensive coaches in the box wearing headsets are in communication with Shanahan and Cutler. Those are your assistant OCs, and I'm thinking Watson and Bates and possibly Baker. The box guys are essential for watching the opponent's D since Shanahan can't really get a good look at that from the sideline.

As a disciple of the Walsh school of football, Shanahan's first dozen to twenty plays will be scripted and called in that order except for certain situations. Those plays are on a special list categorized by situation (i.e., FP, D&D). The purpose of the script is for the box coaches to see how the D reacts to it. Expect to see a strong running game to set up PAP and to lure defenders into the tackle box. Zone stretch with cutback and boot will still be bread and butter for the Broncos plus attacking any defensive adjustments that attempt to deal with it. If the Broncos can find a reliable speed receiver to stretch the secondary, Shanahan does like to air it out as a complement to the strong running game.
        Yes, but Shanahan has made the point emphatically in the past that he doesn't call the plays. When Kubes was here, Gary called the plays, Shanny listened in on the headphones and had veto authority. I suspect he did the same thing with Dinger. Officially, Dinger was in charge of the passing game and Dennison in charge of the running game, but the playcalling changed somewhat when Kubes left. We threw in obvious running downs and ran on very obvious passing downs (3rd and 8, for example) and didn't play to our strengths.

Shanahan is the architect of the offense and it's his philosophy and his plays, though I'm sure he works out new plays with the coaches. But during games I don't believe he's calling the plays any longer. He has the game plan, he talks to the coaches in the booth about what they are seeing on the field and that may have him work with the OC to select particular plays in certain situations.

Finally, with Dinger as VP in charge of offense, I think he would "outrank" Dennison in terms of who would actually call the plays. They may discuss on the phones, but my belief is that Dinger made the call and Shanny either vetoed or went with it.

So, lets see what happens with playcalling this year.
        You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X