• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elway versus Aikman

Posted: 4 hours 24 minutes ago
    Instant Debates: Troy Aikman vs. John Elway
    NFL.com

Getty Images
    Troy Aikman (Photos) and John Elway (Photos) were two of the best quarterbacks to come out of the 1980s. Aikman was the first overall selection in 1989 and led the Cowboys to three Super Bowl titles. He was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006. Elway was the first overall selection of the Baltimore Colts in 1983, but played his entire career with the Broncos. Elway ended his career in style with back-to-back Super Bowl wins and was a member of the 2004 Hall of Fame class.

But who was the best?

NFL.com editors and football enthusiasts Adam Rank and Jim Reineking try to answer that question over instant messenger in NFL.com's "Instant Debate."

NFL Adam (3:52:29 PM): The knock against Troy Aikman has long been that he was surrounded by great talent, as if that makes him less of a quarterback. That actually had a negative impact on his numbers. Aikman never posted the passing numbers of some of the other great quarterbacks in NFL history because that was not the way his offense was designed. The Cowboys were methodical in their approach, and most of their drives culminated with Emmitt Smith busting through the line on a short touchdown run. But Aikman was at his best when his team needed him the most. Aikman posted a 104.3 passer rating during the playoffs (a number bested only by Bart Starr) from 1992-1995, when his team won three Super Bowls in four years. To me, he was the best of his generation.

Rhino (4:01:24 PM): The case against John Elway would be that it took a talented running back such as Terrell Davis to help No.7 finally get that elusive Super Bowl ring. The fact of the matter is, Elway was the winningest quarterback in NFL history until the greatest quarterback of all time (Brett Favre) finally eclipsed his career mark of 148 wins. And don't forget about those signature comeback drives. One of those fourth-quarter, come-from-behind victories has gone down as one of the most clutch performances in NFL history in what resulted in one of the greatest games ever played -- the 1986 AFC championship. Twelve years later, Elway's final game was a Super Bowl triumph, which is the way any quarterback would want to end his career. For putting up the numbers –- Elway is near the top in every major statistical category –- and for his moments of magic on the field when it mattered most, Elway should be considered as the best.

NFL Adam (4:11:23 PM): Once again, I feel that Aikman gets slighted because his teams always won. The Cowboys never trailed much during his career, and he doesn’t have that one signature moment that captures the imagination like "The Drive" or other great comebacks. When it comes to being a winner, none were bigger than Aikman. No other quarterback did more for his team than Aikman. He sacrificed his own personal statistics to make sure that his team won. You have to image that, deep down, Aikman would have liked to have been one of those gun slinging quarterbacks who threw the ball all over the field and put up huge numbers like some of his fellow quarterbacks. The fact that he played so unselfishly on great teams and ended up with more Super Bowl titles than all of the quarterbacks from his era should not be viewed as a coincidence.

Rhino (4:17:34 PM): If you don't want to discredit Aikman for playing on some great teams, then why do you want to penalize Elway for playing on some bad teams? If you look at the rosters of the Broncos during his Super Bowl losses, the roster isn't a "who's who," but rather, "who the heck is that?" I challenge any NFL fan to try to remember some of the running backs who played with Elway during the early part of his career. Elway put up huge passing yards because he had to. There was nobody else there to help. When you talk about a guy who made a grilled chicken salad out of chicken, umm, stuff, Elway certainly was the guy.

Go to http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true and vote for Elway
    Last edited by kona bronco; 06-04-2008, 02:26 PM.

this debate shouldn't even exist.....

there's no need to debate.....

Aikman is RARELY or NEVER discussed about in the top qb's in NFL history and Elway always is

yawn
    "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
    -The best in the business-

Comment

what the heck kind of an arguement is this? pitching the best QB of all time against some guy that was lucky enough to be on a team that won 3 SBs.

and that whos who and"who the heck is that" really cracked me up
      disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

I would say Aikman is definatley top ten but is nowhere near Elway.

1. Unitas
        2. Montana
        3. Elway

Aikman comes into the discussion around 8 or 9.
        A book I wrote

Comment

Can't believe they have Favre as the "greatest QB of all time."

If only there was some sort of a "SUPER" game that Favre and Elway could have played head to head in.

Oh, wait...
          In Manning I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post

If only there was some sort of a "SUPER" game that Favre and Elway could have played head to head in.

Oh, wait...
            hey realmoose. first time i've seen you since the draft day chat room
            disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

The prob I have with this type of conversation is this- it's a team game. Individuals shine and there are great players. You can't say- "Aikman... because of his team." He was a GREAT qb, one I would love to have had if not for Elway. Elway is a great qb and there is no telling how he would have faired in another system. Same with Marino. How many could he have won had he been on those Cowboy teams. To say one is better then the other is very much a personal judgement call. Aikman, IMO, is not one of the top 5 all time. Maybe top 10. Elway? Yes I feel he is top 3 and could be argued as #1. If this were an individual sport without "classes"(like boxing in all the weight classes) then yes, you could possibly claim the "best ever". All that being said.... Nyuck nyuck nyuck!!!
              *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
              *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
              *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Ok...Let's see, Elway went to the superbowl with ZERO {first 3 times} Hall of famers...

Troy had the big three... probley one of the best o-lines and a crazy good d...

Joe who I'm not saying wasn't great yet had well lets list the hall of famers he had on his team...No we dont have enough space for all that...

Then we come to Bret, He was an above average QB until he got help never made it to a superbowl with Like Elway THE THREE AMIGO's come on...

John is and should be in a class with the tiger Wood's, Jordan's, Gretzkey {sp}
                He injected his DNA into his team and willed them to be better, He made everyone around him better...Sammy Winder come on... Bret Won one SUPERBOWL in his prime and John took one from him in his late stages...

Dan Marino is alot like John...Never really had anyone but made his team better except he never did get help. John is not only the Greatest QB of all time he's one of the best athlete's of all time... When you can take nothing from nothing and make something thats greatness...Dont believe me ask Coach Marty...
                sigpic Adopted By:

Comment

Aikman was a very, very good QB. He was one of the most accurate passers to play. He belongs in the Hof.

Elway was the GOAT. He is in a class all by himself. Elway impacted the team game as much as an individual could. He had some good players around him, but not great players untill later in his career.

Opponents absolutely feared Elway. Cowboy opponents respected Aikman, but feared Irving, Smith, etc.

We will never see another QB like Elway.

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                    We will never see another QB like Elway.
                    is that another flawless pridiction?

Comment

Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
                      is that another flawless pridiction?

heheheheheheh....
                      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

COWBOYS SUCK!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post

Oh, wait...
                          HAHA good call

sigpic
                          \

Comment

The best reason Elway was the GOAT

He played his entire pro career on one leg. He still had speed and maneuverabilty. Imgine if he hadn't torn his knee apart in hgh school and always wore a brace in college and at Denver. He made all all those great throws with a weak leg. Its unbelievable, yet true. Gotta respect the man!

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado69 View Post
                              He played his entire pro career on one leg. He still had speed and maneuverabilty. Imgine if he hadn't torn his knee apart in hgh school and always wore a brace in college and at Denver. He made all all those great throws with a weak leg. Its unbelievable, yet true. Gotta respect the man!
                              i remember reading that he did something to some tendon or something in his arm to. they thought he wouldn't be able to play anymore but somehow things worked out

Comment

Working...
                              X