Elway versus Aikman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
    what the heck kind of an arguement is this? pitching the best QB of all time against some guy that was lucky enough to be on a team that won 3 SBs. and that whos who and"who the heck is that" really cracked me up
    I have to disagree though he isn't near elway he is a hall of famer for a reason no doubt elway is the best or one of the best I still out him top 10

Comment

Originally posted by Wanobe View Post
      I have to disagree though he isn't near elway he is a hall of famer for a reason no doubt elway is the best or one of the best I still out him top 10
      i never said he wasn't worthy of a place in the hall of fame. i just said he was lucky enough to be on a team that won 3 sbs and thats true. their are plenty of guys who, in my opinion are better then aikman but never got the dream team they need to win. marino, warren moon, to name a few. put him on the broncos or even the packers back then and i can't see him even making it the the superbowl. kinda like if you put elway on the 49ers he could come close to breaking the record for SB wins.
      disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

This is nonsense!!!

Ask Aikman who the better QB was! He knows that he is no Elway. Elway was the most physically gifted QB ever! Not just running, not just throw, but the total package.

If Elway had one playmaker on that first Super Bowl, or a fricken Defense in the 2nd, or not played the 49ers on the third. Elway started 5 Super Bowls, a record, but that could have easily been 7. The Jax loss in 96 kept us from what should have been a 3-peat, and we also lost a 10-7 game in Bufallo in the AFC Championship Game.

I will put it this way. How many games do the 86, 87, and 89 Broncos win with Aikman(in his prime) as QB? Then put Elway(in his prime on the Cowboys teams from 92-96, and how many Super Bowls do those teams win? I think Elway on those Cowboy teams would make it completely unfair to everyone in the league, and Aikman would be lucky to survive those seasons let alone make the playoffs.

When Denver played that Cowboy team at full strength and Denver with TD, Rod, Eddy, and Shannon the game wasn't even close.
        Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

Elway vs Aikmen what a joke.

John Elway was and still is the greatest QB to ever play the game.

A long time back somebody was interviewing Madden asking about qb's.
          This is the quote as close as I can remember; Elway he's the closest thing I've seen to a one man gang. Trying to say he was a 1 man team.

Keep going John!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by olgrouch View Post
            John Elway was and still is the greatest QB to ever play the game.
            I'd have to disagree and say Joe Montana was the greatest QB to ever play the game. He could just pick defenses apart, along with the likes of Jerry Rice and John Taylor for support! Plus he destroyed us in the super bowl, glad i didn't witness the actual game, saw all the highlights He was amazing!-Not saying John wasn't but I would rank my top 3 Qbs to play the game as...

1. Montana
            2. Elway
            3. Favre
            Last edited by 24bailey24; 06-04-2008, 08:41 PM.

2/3 of the world is covered by water, the other 1/3 is covered by CHAMP BAILEY!

Originally posted by RiversOWNSDonks
            Chargers will win a SB, before Broncos make the playoffs. I have no doubt about that!
            O no we havent made the playoffs in 2 years how long has it been since Dolts won the SB...O ya
            This might be up for awhile, Im keeping this up until the Dolts win a SB!

Comment

Originally posted by 24bailey24 View Post
              I'd have to disagree and say Joe Montana was the greatest QB to ever play the game. He could just pick defenses apart, along with the likes of Jerry Rice and John Taylor for support! Plus he destroyed us in the super bowl, glad i didn't witness the actual game, saw all the highlights He was amazing!-Not saying John wasn't but I would rank my top 3 Qbs to play the game as...

1. Montana
              2. Elway
              3. Favre
              No QB has ever done more with less than Mr. Elway. The late 80's Broncos had a handful of "good" players but no great ones, Elway pretty much got them to 3 Super Bowls on his own, well not totally but you get my point!

He never had an All-Pro WR, TE, or RB in those years, and he still won an NFL MVP and got them to 3 Super Bowls!

Montana on the other hand had the greatest WR to ever walk onto a field, one of the better number 2 WR's of all time, the best O-Line in football, and the best Defense in football to always give him great Field position. Plus Roger Craig and Tom Rathman were absolute studs in their own right!

Bottom line, if John had a supporting cast half as good as Montana's he would have at least 2 more rings.

Also consider the fact that Dan Reeves kept Elway at bay most of those years, he was a very conservative coach who liked to run the ball and control the clock, Elway's numbers suffered because of this. He is already top 5 in every major statistical category, think if he had a guy like Mike Shanahan all of those early years, Favre would have been chasing his records, not Marino's!

P.S. Joe Montana is an egotistical nerd that only cares about money, he is not even in John's class as far as I'm concerned!

Comment

aikman was tom brady

a product of his system

likely nothing special without it

with the right linemen, the right schemes to give you time to pass, any qb and wr can look like a million bucks. that's just the nature of the game of football. it's just in the very mechanics of the sport. we cook up stories, sell to sensationalists and hype up players and alot of the time even hardcore fans buy into it. but that's just the game. the trenches throughout history have made passers and runners and catchers look like megastars when on lesser teams they'd be nothing.

there's no one i'd have over elway, ever. montana, manning, favre, marino, no one. i'd take elway if i had 100k riding on one game.
                Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

There both has great careers

but you gotta say ELWAY on this sight.

7 for life!

I still miss the blue background.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
                    is that another flawless pridiction?
                    H*** Yeah!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post
                      Can't believe they have Favre as the "greatest QB of all time."

If only there was some sort of a "SUPER" game that Favre and Elway could have played head to head in.

Oh, wait...

Ya got that right, buddy.

:thumb:
                      sigpic
                      They're your teammates, now.
                      Best of luck, TT!
                      ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

John Elway is the GOAT

Troy Aikman isn't even the best quarterback in Dallas Cowboys history and is no where near the top of all time quarterbacks. I would rank him around number 20 at the highest. I do not think he should have been a first ballot Hall of Famer, but he was.

John Elway was in my opinion the greatest quarterback to ever play in the NFL. He did more with less than anyone who has ever played the game. Most football experts rank Elway in the top 3 to top 5. I have never heard Aikman even come up in any debate until I saw this thread.
                        Denver Broncos All-Time Team
                        Do you know who were the Greatest Denver Broncos players of all-time?
                        Know the Denver Broncos Team History

Comment

Elway is in the top three, depending who you ask. But I would put Jim Kelly in front of Aikman, Kelly was pratically the OC for the Bills when they ran the no huddle. And he beat alot of good afc teams the four years they lost the superbowls. I would have to say that Elway and Kelly are my favorite qb's since they always came back from adversity and they knew how to lead a team.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealMoose View Post
                            Can't believe they have Favre as the "greatest QB of all time."

If only there was some sort of a "SUPER" game that Favre and Elway could have played head to head in.

Oh, wait...
                            this guy wins.. lol

Here are some numbers to chew on:

Troy Aikman Career sacks 259

John Elway Career sacks 516

That alone should tell you who was better. 5 Superbowls while taking a pounding year after year. Elway
                            Dennis Smith, Simon Fletcher, Steve Atwater, Terrell Davis and Rod Smith all belong in the Hall of Fame.

Comment

What!!

How can anyone in his right mind think this is even close!

Aikman was a MASTER CRAFTSMAN of the handoff.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X