Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Broncos got fleeced

Bucs make a shrewd move

The practical result of the deal between the Bucs and quarterback Jake Plummer, pursuant to which Plummer will pay the team $3.5 million due to his premature retirement, is that Tampa Bay picked up $3.5 million in cash for a seventh-round draft pick.

Though it doesn’t completely offset the $8 million (along with two first-round picks and two second-rounders) that the Bucs sent to Oakland in 2002 for coach Jon Gruden, it’s a tremendous windfall for the team.

The deal, which we’ve been told is and has been a done deal for most of the day, is the end result of a 2007 trade that sent Plummer’s rights from Denver for what would have been a fourth-round pick in 2008, if Plummer had reported for duty.

Plummer opted instead to retire, and the Bucs (and Broncos) filed grievances against him for the recovery of signing bonus money that had been paid in anticipation that Plummer would play football for several years into the future.

Though it’s easy to say that the Broncos could have gotten the $3.5 million on their own if they hadn’t traded Plummer, Plummer might not have retired if the team hadn’t traded him. And so the Broncos would have had to continue to pay Plummer’s starting-quarterback salary, even though they’d decided to make Jay Cutler the starter.

Still, the Broncos got fleeced on this one. And it was avoidable. Instead of upgrading the pick only if Plummer showed up in 2007, the Broncos should have insisted on an escalation of the selection based on the amount of money that the Bucs ultimately recovered if/when Plummer failed to report.

The other benefit for the Bucs is that they’ve picked up $3.5 million in 2009 cap space, which will come in handy given the rules of the “last capped year,” which among other things will wipe out the June 1 rules allowing cap hits to be spread over two seasons when players are cut or traded.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...a-shrewd-move/

Will anybody be saying the Broncos got fleeced if either Josh Barrett or Peyton Hillis or both become stars? I believe it was Hillis that was actually selected with the pick the Broncos got from the Bucs, but without two picks in the seventh round, they would have had to pick one or the other. By most accounts, both players should have been long gone by the time the Broncos picked either one in the 7th round.

In any case, whether Hillis or Barrett become stars or not, the Broncos didn't get fleeced. Exactly how could they insist on the pick escalating based on how much the Bucs received from Plummer upon early retirement? That means the Broncos wouldn't have gotten a pick until next year. They wanted a pick last year but had to settle for one this year. Now these fools want them to wait until next year or however long it could have taken the Bucs to recover the money? That doesn't make any sense.

Besides, why would the Bucs agree to such a deal anyway? That kind of clause might have been enough to make them walk away from the deal all together. The Broncos needed to get rid of Plummer and it was well worth it to let the Bucs go after the money and not have to give anything more than a 7th round pick if Plummer didn't report to the Bucs. Plummer had already been talking like he wasn't going to hang around to be Jay's back up. It was smart for the Broncos to get something for him. It might turn out to be a Pro Bowler at fullback.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
      Will anybody be saying the Broncos got fleeced if either Josh Barrett or Peyton Hillis or both become stars? I believe it was Hillis that was actually selected with the pick the Broncos got from the Bucs, but without two picks in the seventh round, they would have had to pick one or the other. By most accounts, both players should have been long gone by the time the Broncos picked either one in the 7th round.

In any case, whether Hillis or Barrett become stars or not, the Broncos didn't get fleeced. Exactly how could they insist on the pick escalating based on how much the Bucs received from Plummer upon early retirement? That means the Broncos wouldn't have gotten a pick until next year. They wanted a pick last year but had to settle for one this year. Now these fools want them to wait until next year or however long it could have taken the Bucs to recover the money? That doesn't make any sense.

Besides, why would the Bucs agree to such a deal anyway? That kind of clause might have been enough to make them walk away from the deal all together. The Broncos needed to get rid of Plummer and it was well worth it to let the Bucs go after the money and not have to give anything more than a 7th round pick if Plummer didn't report to the Bucs. Plummer had already been talking like he wasn't going to hang around to be Jay's back up. It was smart for the Broncos to get something for him. It might turn out to be a Pro Bowler at fullback.
      exactly what I was going to say... only better.

Nice post. I woulda hit you up with a cp..... but you know....

sigpic

Comment

Right now, I have to agree with PFT, we did get fleeced. However the organization was backed into a corner and had to act. Cutler was the new kid and needed to be shown that it was his team and his team alone, so Plummer had to go. Plummer was clearly too good to be cut and there is no guarantee that he would have retired if he had stayed a bronco, so a trade was the only option. Tampa was one of the few places where he could get an actual shot at starting and they were willing to give something in return.

I still think Plummer would have beaten out Garcia in camp if he had tried. In the end we got a 7th round pick that right now is just a rookie who has to prove himself, later it may turn out we got a good player.

For a team with no good options in the situation, I think the Broncos found the least objectionable and actually got some value, albeit not much, for a player who represented no value at all to the team. It has to be remembered that if cut, we wouldn't have been able to reclaim any of his bonus, so we really didn't lose out on money or cap space since there is a good probability that we would never have been in a position to claim them.

Comment

good thing we got Hillis

Comment

Florio has a strong dislike/bias against the Broncos. This is just his latest attack. He said in that blurb that we got rid of a backup QB who was making starting money, and got a draft pick in return for a guy who retired as soon as he was traded.

Apparently thats not good enough for Mr. Knowitall, he claims we should have gotten a better pick since Plummer's salary doesnt count against the Buc's cap anymore? Thats asking alot, and it really doesnt make sense other than looking at the bias (and hatred) Mr. Florio and his website have always shown towards the Broncos. Florio is a rotten disgruntled jack... well you know the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyTony View Post
              Bucs make a shrewd move

The practical result of the deal between the Bucs and quarterback Jake Plummer, pursuant to which Plummer will pay the team $3.5 million due to his premature retirement, is that Tampa Bay picked up $3.5 million in cash for a seventh-round draft pick.

Though it doesn’t completely offset the $8 million (along with two first-round picks and two second-rounders) that the Bucs sent to Oakland in 2002 for coach Jon Gruden, it’s a tremendous windfall for the team.

The deal, which we’ve been told is and has been a done deal for most of the day, is the end result of a 2007 trade that sent Plummer’s rights from Denver for what would have been a fourth-round pick in 2008, if Plummer had reported for duty.

Plummer opted instead to retire, and the Bucs (and Broncos) filed grievances against him for the recovery of signing bonus money that had been paid in anticipation that Plummer would play football for several years into the future.

Though it’s easy to say that the Broncos could have gotten the $3.5 million on their own if they hadn’t traded Plummer, Plummer might not have retired if the team hadn’t traded him. And so the Broncos would have had to continue to pay Plummer’s starting-quarterback salary, even though they’d decided to make Jay Cutler the starter.

Still, the Broncos got fleeced on this one. And it was avoidable. Instead of upgrading the pick only if Plummer showed up in 2007, the Broncos should have insisted on an escalation of the selection based on the amount of money that the Bucs ultimately recovered if/when Plummer failed to report.

The other benefit for the Bucs is that they’ve picked up $3.5 million in 2009 cap space, which will come in handy given the rules of the “last capped year,” which among other things will wipe out the June 1 rules allowing cap hits to be spread over two seasons when players are cut or traded.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...a-shrewd-move/
              I agree-not to mention that the Broncos did not have to get into an acrimonious settelement with Plummer. He left on good terms with the team.

Comment

Plummer sucked.

It was worth $3.5 million to get rid of him.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman View Post
                  Plummer sucked.

It was worth $3.5 million to get rid of him.

You can say a lot of things but you cant say he sucked. He led us to the playoffs in all three years, and his winning percentage was higher than Elways. You may like Cutler but right now he isn't a better QB than Plummer was for us. Just look at the stats, and the wins
                  Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
                    You can say a lot of things but you cant say he sucked. He led us to the playoffs in all three years, and his winning percentage was higher than Elways. You may like Cutler but right now he isn't a better QB than Plummer was for us. Just look at the stats, and the wins
                    Yes I can. He sucked.

Don't bore me with a "higher winning percentage" when he only played in Denver for 3+ seasons and Elway played 15.

And, if you're going to say he "led us to the playoffs" every year, then you have to say he flopped in the playoffs with a pathetic record of 1-3. Of course, you might want to say the defense lost those games, but then you would have to say that defense won ALOT of the games "Jake" won.

I repeat. Jake sucked.

Good bye and good riddance.

sigpic

Comment

yeah as much as i dont' want to admitt it cutler isn't as good as plummer right now IMO... i have every confidence that cutler will become one of the best but as of now plummer is the best QB we've had in the post elway era and maybe even one of the best in the pre elway era.
                      disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

We got a 7th round pick out of a player that would have probably been cut anyways. How did we get fleeced? Sure, it wasn't the best trade in the history of the NFL, but we by no means got uber pwnd like this guy obviously believes. And besides, I'm sure Bowlen has a few million to throw around

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman View Post
                          Yes I can. He sucked.

Don't bore me with a "higher winning percentage" when he only played in Denver for 3+ seasons and Elway played 15.

And, if you're going to say he "led us to the playoffs" every year, then you have to say he flopped in the playoffs with a pathetic record of 1-3. Of course, you might want to say the defense lost those games, but then you would have to say that defense won ALOT of the games "Jake" won.

I repeat. Jake sucked.

Good bye and good riddance.

Ok fair enough but in 06 Cutler was 2-3 with the same team Jake Went 7-4 with. Plus Jake played agianst better teams.

07...Cutler took basically the same team to a setllar record of 7-9.

Jake passed for 4000 yards in a season.... Cutler hasn't

Jake's had 27 TD's in a season....Cutler 20

Plummer's career rating is 88.1.....Cutler 87.2 (that was just last year...not sure about rookie year)

So yeah I guess you are right Jake sucks.....But what does that say about Cutler? How is he better?

This is Jakes 3rd year stats in this offense... 14-4 record. AFC Championship apperence, 3366 yards, 18 TD's, 7 INT, 90.2 Rating
                          So if he sucks...Jay should easly surpass all these stats. Keep in mind these stats were with a team with 2000+ yards rushing and 20 rushing TD's

Face the fact....Jake was a better QB through 2 years in the offense
                          Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

Like everyone is saying....if Hillis is a starter this year or makes a pro bowler in his career with the Bronces.....It will be a great trade

Comment

Ill trade that winning percentage for the two Super Bowl Titles the Broncos won with JOHN ELWAY.

When I think Broncos (Which is all the time) I think Elway. He is who I grew up and went through ups and downs.

Give me a break plummer is no elway and besides Elway could have quit plenty of times, but he didn't he stayed with it.
                              sigpic
                              The Bronco fan pledge;
                              I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
                              I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
                              I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
                              I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
                              Bronco's Country.

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

Comment

Working...
                              X