we seriously need more speed at WR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
    For as bad as Lelie was in Denver, the dude averaged almost 20 yards a catch. That's what speed does. Just think if he actually knew how to play the position.

We don't need speed, but the explosiveness does add another dimension in spreading the field.
    haha wow. when i saw you were the latest poster on this thread then i was preparing myself for another big bashing lol. but yeah thats my point, imagine lelie if he could actuall catch.
    disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

For as bad as Lelie was in Denver, the dude averaged almost 20 yards a catch. That's what speed does. Just think if he actually knew how to play the position.

We don't need speed, but the explosiveness does add another dimension in spreading the field.
      With a better o-line we'll see a lot more plays develop down field. Last year it seemed as though they were giving Cutler quicker and easier reads just to simply get rid of the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
        i've posted it several places put i figured i might as well start a thread. we have maybe the QB with the biggest arm the the league, but we don't have ANY big threats (other then royal, whos a rookie) sammie parker is fast, but he might not make the team.

here are our top 4 reciever's 40 times. i know they can be inaccurate but when its that bad then you know theres got to be a problem

brandon marshall: 4.52
        darrell jackson: 4.58
        brandon stokley: 4.54
        keary colbert: 4.56

stokley has gotta be faster than a 4.54. shoot remember in the play-offs when he out ran everyone in our secondary?? not to mention hes quick as well. but that doesnt really matter paker and royal are fast as hell. plus game speed is what counts.

Comment

do you have any idea of how long .1 second

i mean the difference between a guy that runs a 4.4 and a 4.5 is not that big

we have receiver thats work perfectly in our offense, both parker and royal are very fast, jackson is more than capable of getting beyond defenders and well you already know about marshall, then add in stokleys quickness and i feel if everything works out that we may have one of the better receiving groups around and with solid depth ( all our players have started games less royal and hes a rookie)
          sigpic
          -------

Comment

I am sick of seeing people saying Lelie sucked on the Broncos. Yeah his career might've stalled once he left Denver, but he was a decent #2 when he was still with us. Remember that he was part of our AFC Championship team.

I guess that's what holding out on your team will do to you.

Watch my 2005 Lelie Highlights to see how he opened up the offense when he was still here.

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
              do you have any idea of how long .1 second

i mean the difference between a guy that runs a 4.4 and a 4.5 is not that big

we have receiver thats work perfectly in our offense, both parker and royal are very fast, jackson is more than capable of getting beyond defenders and well you already know about marshall, then add in stokleys quickness and i feel if everything works out that we may have one of the better receiving groups around and with solid depth ( all our players have started games less royal and hes a rookie)
              i get what your saying about jackson is capable of getting past defenders, but i think the difference between 4.3 and 4.5 is alot more then you give credit for. its like saying the difference between a 300 pound linemen and a 320 pound isn't that much because "its just 20 more pounds". in a game where its as competitive and close as the nfl every bit of speed counts.
              disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

i get what your saying about jackson is capable of getting past defenders, but i think the difference between 4.3 and 4.5 is alot more then you give credit for. its like saying the difference between a 300 pound linemen and a 320 pound isn't that much because "its just 20 more pounds". in a game where its as competitive and close as the nfl every bit of speed counts.
                read my post i said .1 second not 2 thats when i gaurentee you can see a difference, but there are not that many 4.3 guys in the league that actually produce worth anything

the fact is you are overrating speed to a point that its laughable, im not saying speed is important but we have more than adequate speed to run our offense

larry fitzgerald ran a 4.53 and boldin ran a 4.7 and they are arguable the best 1-2 WR group in the league
                sigpic
                -------

Comment

the difference between 4.3 and 4.5 is not as different as you say. game speed is a HUGE part of the game. thats why rod and TD were so good, the guys who run 4.3 didnt run their hardest in the fourth quarter, our guys didnt let up at all in practice or games.
                  Darcel McBath 2009 Adopt-a-Bronco

McDaniel's Assistant Assylum: Defensive Line Coach

Jay Cutler 336-555 3666 yards 27 TD 26 INT 7W 9L
                  vs.
                  Kyle Orton 336-541 3802 yards 21 TD 12 INT 8W 8L
                  Robert Ayers 18 Tackles 1 TD
                  First Round Pick TBA

Comment

read my post i said .1 second not 2 thats when i gaurentee you can see a difference, but there are not that many 4.3 guys in the league that actually produce worth anything

the fact is you are overrating speed to a point that its laughable, im not saying speed is important but we have more than adequate speed to run our offense

larry fitzgerald ran a 4.53 and boldin ran a 4.7 and they are arguable the best 1-2 WR group in the league
                    Perfectly said.

Comment

first of all, i'm saying the difference between a mid 4.3 guy (royal, jackson for example from this years draft) and our recieving corps, which is in the mid 4.5 level, so thats .2 difference.

and once again i'm not saying that speed is everything. in fact i'm not even associating speed with how good a reciever is. bringin up larry fitzgerald and boldin isn't really nessasary because like i said, i'm not using speed to say how good a reciever is. you can find some reciever who ran 4.9 or something and i still wouldn't care. my point is, you can't deny that a guy like steve smith isn't more of a big play threat then boldin is. thats all i'm saying

Comment

my point is, you can't deny that a guy like steve smith isn't more of a big play threat then boldin is. thats all i'm saying
                        And your saying this because... Steve Smith runs faster in the 40? Smith would be a playmaker even if he ran a 4.5.

40 time is overrated, because really... it doesn't mean much unless a receiver is running a go, which usually in this offense, they are not.

Comment

In general it would be awesome to have a WR who has crazy speed but as many people have already pointed out it’s not everything. Speed is definitely coveted by scouts and teams alike; this is why some players draft stocks will rise with a really good 40 times. But game speed triumph’s timed speed any day of the week when we get into tenth’s of a second. Plus some people run better without pads so their timed 40 yard dash could be equalized with another player who might have had sub 40 times once they have all their equipment on.

If a guy has blazing speed, great hands, and can run great routes he is probably getting picked in the top 10 of the 1st round because he is the total package. Also if you’re picking in the top 10 that usually means your team did not do so well the previous year (don’t want to be in that situation unless we are rebuilding). However every team should have at least one or two players that can stretch the field and keep the opposing defense honest. Speed is not the end all be all but can help.

Thx,
                          Joe
                          To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
                            And your saying this because... Steve Smith runs faster in the 40? Smith would be a playmaker even if he ran a 4.5.

40 time is overrated, because really... it doesn't mean much unless a receiver is running a go, which usually in this offense, they are not.
                            no, because steve smith would still be a great reciever without all the speed. but his ability to outrun CBs and stuff makes him that much better

and as for the part about this offense, well theres always posts and stuff. and didn't we use to be famous for those plays where elway did a bootleg and throw long? plus speed sort of affects how how you run after the catch as well. it would really help if after a 5 and out or something you can turn the corner and pick up a few extra yards.

Comment

no, because steve smith would still be a great reciever without all the speed. but his ability to outrun CBs and stuff makes him that much better

and as for the part about this offense, well theres always posts and stuff. and didn't we use to be famous for those plays where elway did a bootleg and throw long? plus speed sort of affects how how you run after the catch as well. it would really help if after a 5 and out or something you can turn the corner and pick up a few extra yards.
                              Steve Smith is just a special player. There are many other players who run as fast.. or even faster then him.. so why compare an all-star player like that to a guy who is slower?

Also, Smith might run past corners, but he gets a lot of his touchdowns and long YAC due to his elusiveness and shiftyness.

Running after a 5 and out isn't reflected from the forty time, so the forty time doesn't matter at in this talk at all anymore if your going down that road.

You need to realize that the "game speed" is the real speed you want to look at. Not some stupid scouting speed.

Like it was mentioned before... Terrell Davis, Rod Smith.. both players had wonderful game speed and look what they have done with it.

Comment

i've posted it several places put i figured i might as well start a thread. we have maybe the QB with the biggest arm the the league, but we don't have ANY big threats (other then royal, whos a rookie) sammie parker is fast, but he might not make the team.

here are our top 4 reciever's 40 times. i know they can be inaccurate but when its that bad then you know theres got to be a problem

brandon marshall: 4.52
                                darrell jackson: 4.58
                                brandon stokley: 4.54
                                keary colbert: 4.56

and, just in case your not sure how fast a reciever should run, heres a list of players who are either faster then our reciever or would fit right in.

peyton hillis: 4.58
                                tony scheffler: 4.54
                                wesley woodyard: 4.51

i don't care how overrated the 40 times are but when a fullback, a TE, and a LB run as fast as our recievers then you know we've got a pretty slow recieving corps. and to make it worse, with the expetion of marshall non of them have the size to make up for the lack of speed. they are all under 6 foot 1 and are all under 205 pounds. and from what i heard then colbert and jackson have horrible hands to go along with that.

ok after i've written and everything i kinda realized its a stupid thread. but i thought it was interesting and i'm not going to delete it.

so.....discuss?
                                Speed is over-rated unless you are going to try to outsprint the cover guy down the sideline.

When we won two super bowls our top two receivers were a little better than average in speed. What they had was good form, good hands, a willingness to catch the ball in traffic and, in the case of Big Ed, dramatic acting ability.

Seriously, Jerry Rice was a threat longer than most receivers, not because he hadn't lost a step or several, but because he could still put the moves on a defensive back, and get enough separation to catch the ball.
                                You Tell 'em Justice is coming. You tell 'em I'M coming!sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X