we seriously need more speed at WR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncos1997 View Post
    i've posted it several places put i figured i might as well start a thread. we have maybe the QB with the biggest arm the the league, but we don't have ANY big threats (other then royal, whos a rookie) sammie parker is fast, but he might not make the team.

here are our top 4 reciever's 40 times. i know they can be inaccurate but when its that bad then you know theres got to be a problem

brandon marshall: 4.52
    darrell jackson: 4.58
    brandon stokley: 4.54
    keary colbert: 4.56

and, just in case your not sure how fast a reciever should run, heres a list of players who are either faster then our reciever or would fit right in.

peyton hillis: 4.58
    tony scheffler: 4.54
    wesley woodyard: 4.51

i don't care how overrated the 40 times are but when a fullback, a TE, and a LB run as fast as our recievers then you know we've got a pretty slow recieving corps. and to make it worse, with the expetion of marshall non of them have the size to make up for the lack of speed. they are all under 6 foot 1 and are all under 205 pounds. and from what i heard then colbert and jackson have horrible hands to go along with that.

ok after i've written and everything i kinda realized its a stupid thread. but i thought it was interesting and i'm not going to delete it.

so.....discuss?
    Actually, Keary Colbert has run the 40 in 4.43 as you can see right here.

Fast Eddie Royal did 4.39 at the Combine, as most of us know.

The other times are pretty accurate, according to Combines.

However, I am more interested in football speed than I am track speed, the
    latter which can make a player's speed very deceptive. Whether you consider
    Colbert, for instance, a 4.43 or 4.56, he has some serious quicks, once he
    puts the pads on. I've seen him blaze down the sidelines more than once.

The same goes for Brandon Marshall. Did you see him get run down from
    behind last year? Even once? Of course, Tony Scheffler is known for his speed
    as a TE, who can stretch the field. Then there is Selvin Young out of the
    backfield, who has a fast but not lightning 40, but whose explosiveness
    could become legendary . . . Shanny said he often makes the other guys look
    as if they are moving in slow motion.

I really don't think the Broncos have much in the way of speed problems.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
      Steve Smith is just a special player. There are many other players who run as fast.. or even faster then him.. so why compare an all-star player like that to a guy who is slower?
      and yes i am talking about game speed. probably is, theres no real way to measure game speed. me sitting here and saying that darrell jackson is slow doesn't mean much, and 40 times are really the only way to measure speed, which is why its so overrated.

well first of all, i don't consider lary fitzgerald and boldin as simply slower recievers. i think smith is a little better, but all 3 of them are pro bowl caliber WRs.

and yes i am talking about game speed. probably is, theres no real way to measure game speed. me sitting here and saying that darrell jackson is slow doesn't mean much, and 40 times are really the only way to measure speed, which is why its so overrated.

plus, about the whole game speed thing, its not like it completey nullifies the 40 yard dashes and everyone is mixed up again. a guy who can't run a fast 40 yard dash can only run so fast, even if he does have game speed. terrell davis had game speed, and yes, he did run faster then his 40 yard dash indicates but he never was a speed guy, he was a bruiser. and shannon sharpe can't really relate because the reason he fell so far wasn't because of his dash it was because of the fact that blocking was more important for TEs back then.
      disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe View Post
        Actually, Keary Colbert has run the 40 in 4.43 as you can see right here.

Fast Eddie Royal did 4.39 at the Combine, as most of us know.

The other times are pretty accurate, according to Combines.

However, I am more interested in football speed than I am track speed, the
        latter which can make a player's speed very deceptive. Whether you consider
        Colbert, for instance, a 4.43 or 4.56, he has some serious quicks, once he
        puts the pads on. I've seen him blaze down the sidelines more than once.

The same goes for Brandon Marshall. Did you see him get run down from
        behind last year? Even once? Of course, Tony Scheffler is known for his speed
        as a TE, who can stretch the field. Then there is Selvin Young out of the
        backfield, who has a fast but not lightning 40, but whose explosiveness
        could become legendary . . . Shanny said he often makes the other guys look

I really don't think the Broncos have much in the way of speed problems.

and as for brandon marshall, he almost got run down by vasher vs. the bears, actually you could say he did but he broke that tackle. other then that though, marshall never really had a time when he was in front of everyone

i was suprised when i looked up selvin's dash. he ran a 4.57, i guess thats a very good example of game speed.

and yeah never said the broncos had "problems" with speed. just a bit more would be nice considering the arm that cutler has. i think we might have one of the slower recieving corps right now though, maybe average at best.
        -----
        as i said i'm referring to game speed, but as overrated as 40 yard dashes are they do reflect SOME of the players speed.

and as for colbert, i wasn't really sure about his dash because their were alot, but here is a lists of sources that say he ran a 4.5 plus dash.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=58424

http://www.e-sports.com/articles/153...ire/Page1.html
        (theres a lists of players in the middle)

http://bbs.buccaneers.com/archive/in...p/t-67077.html
        (yeah its a forum but what the heck)
        disclaimer: if the above post appears to contain outrageously illogical content, ITS PROBABLY SARCASM

Comment

well first of all, i don't consider lary fitzgerald and boldin as simply slower recievers. i think smith is a little better, but all 3 of them are pro bowl caliber WRs.

plus, about the whole game speed thing, its not like it completey nullifies the 40 yard dashes and everyone is mixed up again. a guy who can't run a fast 40 yard dash can only run so fast, even if he does have game speed. terrell davis had game speed, and yes, he did run faster then his 40 yard dash indicates but he never was a speed guy, he was a bruiser. and shannon sharpe can't really relate because the reason he fell so far wasn't because of his dash it was because of the fact that blocking was more important for TEs back then.
          I'm glad you pointed that out... TD wasn't speedy, but he got the job done with his game speed and his running ability.

As for the receivers, I still don't see why you claim that "We seriously need more speed at WR."

After drafting Eddie Royal (who is pretty damn fast), and having Stokley stay in his slot, I think our receiving corps has enough speed. With those 2 players on the corps, don't forget about Scheffler who will be used even more next year if he stays healthy.

Brandon Marshall didn't get his 1300+ yards with his "speed".

The West Coast offense, you have guys crossing all over the field. You maybe have one guy running a go or a post, but usually your going to have lots of crossing.

There is no need for speed demons, especially when I named the players that we have right now.

Comment

Poor hands????

DJack and Colbert don't have problems catching the ball consistently. If they did the coaches would not have brought them in. Both players were on teams with poor QB play last season and their stats dropped accordingly. Both are seasoned veterans that have great work habits and good attitudes. I'm looking forward to Cutler having more time and better stats and wins, just as I'm looking forward to an improved D-line helping in the overall defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado69 View Post
              DJack and Colbert don't have problems catching the ball consistently. If they did the coaches would not have brought them in. Both players were on teams with poor QB play last season and their stats dropped accordingly. Both are seasoned veterans that have great work habits and good attitudes. I'm looking forward to Cutler having more time and better stats and wins, just as I'm looking forward to an improved D-line helping in the overall defense.
              Now that's just not true at all. Jackson has earned a reputation for dropped balls, and since the only games I get on t.v. are Panthers games, I've seen firsthand that Colbert is just not very good at catching the ball. I hope he turns it around with us but I just don't see it.
              sigpic
              Sig by Blondie79

Comment

The not so fast receivers use opportunities to shed blocks and angles to their advantage. Nothing the 40 time can use.

Comment

as i said i'm referring to game speed, but as overrated as 40 yard dashes are they do reflect SOME of the players speed.

and as for colbert, i wasn't really sure about his dash because their were alot, but here is a lists of sources that say he ran a 4.5 plus dash.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=58424

http://www.e-sports.com/articles/153...ire/Page1.html
                  (theres a lists of players in the middle)

http://bbs.buccaneers.com/archive/in...p/t-67077.html
                  (yeah its a forum but what the heck)
                  I'm very familiar with most of the sources regarding Colbert's 40 time. Most of
                  the sources refer back to one or two events. But if he has run a 4.43, that
                  means he is capable of running a 4.43.

Moreover, as I said, I have seen him in games. I saw him in college. I saw his
                  playing speed. Colbert has speed on the football field.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by The Hamburgler View Post
                    if you get a bad start on the 40 time, that would easily hurt you. 40's are inaccurate. Example. TD. Big knock on him was that he didnt run a good 40. Yet, he would break off long runs due to GAME SPEED. Game speed is what counts.
                    Yeah, check different draft sites, etc. and all these players have inconsistent 40 times. Ryan Torian is a 4.5 to a 4.7. The 40 times are way over rated. Production is where it's at.

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
                      I'm glad you pointed that out... TD wasn't speedy, but he got the job done with his game speed and his running ability.

As for the receivers, I still don't see why you claim that "We seriously need more speed at WR."

After drafting Eddie Royal (who is pretty damn fast), and having Stokley stay in his slot, I think our receiving corps has enough speed. With those 2 players on the corps, don't forget about Scheffler who will be used even more next year if he stays healthy.

Brandon Marshall didn't get his 1300+ yards with his "speed".

The West Coast offense, you have guys crossing all over the field. You maybe have one guy running a go or a post, but usually your going to have lots of crossing.

There is no need for speed demons, especially when I named the players that we have right now.
                      yeah......about the title i didn't really mean to put that. as i said at the end of the first post, kinda dumb thread but i just thought i would point it out. tried to change it, but apparently you can't edit titles.

i could have sworn i mentioned royal somewhere, but most people don't think royal is going to be a starting reciever from what i've read. i personally think that royal will be our future number 2, but since most people don't think so i was just interested in what they thought we should do about getting a burner, if anything. like i said, i have no idea why i started this thread, just thought it was kind of interesting.

and, like i said, i realize that recievers can get it done without speed, but i think that cutler is capable of far more then just 7 40+ yard passes, and a burner would help. and being a bruiser, just like being a big slow reciever, has its positives and negatives. a bruiser will always get you 3-4 yards, but rarely take it all the way. same thing with a big slow reciever, they can get you that first down but can't get past behind the defense as much as a burner can.

Comment

With a real game, in pads, and running threw traffic with fatigue, It totally nullifies the whole 40 times. The 40's are run with no fatigue no traffic with perfect starting position and with nothing else to think about, You throw that other stuff in and the speeds witch people can run are much slower.

Its kind like saying a Neon SRT4 is faster then say , a dodge charger R/T in 0-60 speeds. But yet throw in a full load of people and fill up the trunk and the Charger whips the crap out of the SRT4. Their are so many more variables in a real life game compared to what their doing on that little 40 yard dash.

40's are only a way for slower people to prove they can be faster then what you thought.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

Originally posted by SlyBronco View Post
                          With a real game, in pads, and running threw traffic with fatigue, It totally nullifies the whole 40 times. The 40's are run with no fatigue no traffic with perfect starting position and with nothing else to think about, You throw that other stuff in and the speeds witch people can run are much slower.

Its kind like saying a Neon SRT4 is faster then say , a dodge charger R/T in 0-60 speeds. But yet throw in a full load of people and fill up the trunk and the Charger whips the crap out of the SRT4. Their are so many more variables in a real life game compared to what their doing on that little 40 yard dash.

40's are only a way for slower people to prove they can be faster then what you thought.
                          but the fast people face the same variables as the slow people. the 40 times are how fast they are orginally. then of course, ast he game goes on tehirs the pads, fatigue, motavation, a desire to win, linebackers chasing you, etc.

i don't think it compeletly nullifies a 40 time though. lets face it, someone who ran a 4.7 or something isn't going to miraculausly become the fastest player in the league. and a 4.3 guy isn't going to start getting run down by linemen either.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe View Post
                            Shanny said he often makes the other guys look

-----
                            When did he say that? Just curious, it's the off season, would like to read the article

Comment

Silver Medalist, Willie Gault....

Originally posted by SlyBronco View Post

Are you going tell me that Willie Gault didn't get all of his touchdowns for the '85 Bears with pure speed? That guy had hands of stone. There is something to be said for pure speed. Neon D, didn't get all his interceptions because he was always in great position. He was fast enough to get position on where the ball was actually going. I'm not saying it's a "requirement" for success but there has been receivers who made their careers on their speed.

Comment

but the fast people face the same variables as the slow people. the 40 times are how fast they are orginally. then of course, ast he game goes on tehirs the pads, fatigue, motavation, a desire to win, linebackers chasing you, etc.

i don't think it compeletly nullifies a 40 time though. lets face it, someone who ran a 4.7 or something isn't going to miraculausly become the fastest player in the league. and a 4.3 guy isn't going to start getting run down by linemen either.
                                But the point is what they can do with a load and other factors is be different then what they can do without the other factors. It's not like you can say every one is 30% slower from this and 10% from that, The rates of wear and the effects of game time do not effect people the same at all. He might run a 4.2 40, But come game time he's only ever going to get 40 yards in 5.1 seconds, where this guy runs a 4.5 but come game time still going to average 40 yards at full steam in 4.8 seconds. Some people have more drive ,stamina and concentration and that translates in to game speed.

I've seen very fast guys get ran down by much slower guys come game time, either by fatiuge , lack of drive, or being overwheelmed.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

Working...
                                X