Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this bronco team harder to figure out then most years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by japfaff View Post
    This year definatly is the hardest in many years to predict. It is basically cause there isnt a position where we have questions. Some are big questions (will our patch work Dline work?, Will our Oline stay healthy?) Some are small (Is Jay going to be able to play with diabieties?)...
    I wouldnt call it a patchwork dline this year. We have a good mix of Veterans and young talent. I really like this line coming into training camp.

Then you throw in the we are counting on unproven players up and down our roster (RB, LT, DE, MLB,K) and that makes it really hard to predict. yeah all these young players could work out and we could potentionaly win 10 games. Or they could fail and we could be picking top 5 in this league.
    We are returning with most of our backs from last year, sans Travis Henry. Selvin looked good most of last year, and Pittman is a good goal line back. We also have a FB this year that can actually block. I like the backfield mix.

Niko played well his rookie year, then was supplanted by a perennial Pro Bowler. WABronco got to watch him, and he endorsed him.

I certainly dont think that this team is that bad that we would end up picking top five. Last year, with all the injuries and inexperience, we still managed to win seven, playing a tougher schedule than we do this year.

But I think that Clady is going to go through a lot of growing pains this season. I think he is going to get beaten early and often...But it is really going to help him going into year two become the solid to great LT that the orginization envisions him to be.
    I dont think it will be that bad for him. I expect growing pains, but, I also expect him to play like the best pure LT prospect in the draft. Not Joe Thomas caliber play, but, pretty darn good.

However I dont think that player is Moss (I thought he was a HUGE reach in the first round), I think Crowder is a far better player. I think he showed in spots an ability to get to the QB, and I think he is going to be better this year.
    I dont think he was a reach. He was expected to be drafted in the range where we picked him. Perhpas it was too expensive to move up, but, hindsight is 20/20. A rotation of Dumm and Moss at the RE, and EK and Crowder at the LE, with engleberger on certian rushing downs, I like our rotation a lot.
    sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
    SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

I really think this year's team is so hard to figure out because last year seemed like an anomaly.

I think 7-9 is giving our rivals a big bout of false-confidence. With all our injuries last season, plus the midseason change of defensive scheme, guys playing out of position, etc., I think we should have/could have won 11 games. We've improved at the positions we really needed to improve... and have added some youth and depth to some key positions.

I think Colbert will be our number 2.
      Royal will be an unreal k/p returner. In time, he will take over for Stokley in the slot.
      Cutler is going to look strong all year, and will be using the entire playbook in his third season under Shanahan.
      Our defense will be madly improved.

I see us going 12-4. San Diego will still win the division, but we'll split the season series, and we'll beat them - in SD - in the playoffs.
      In Manning I trust.

Comment

Originally posted by draco193 View Post
        I wouldnt call it a patchwork dline this year. We have a good mix of Veterans and young talent. I really like this line coming into training camp.

We are returning with most of our backs from last year, sans Travis Henry. Selvin looked good most of last year, and Pittman is a good goal line back. We also have a FB this year that can actually block. I like the backfield mix.

I certainly dont think that this team is that bad that we would end up picking top five. Last year, with all the injuries and inexperience, we still managed to win seven, playing a tougher schedule than we do this year.

I dont think it will be that bad for him. I expect growing pains, but, I also expect him to play like the best pure LT prospect in the draft. Not Joe Thomas caliber play, but, pretty darn good.

I dont think he was a reach. He was expected to be drafted in the range where we picked him. Perhpas it was too expensive to move up, but, hindsight is 20/20. A rotation of Dumm and Moss at the RE, and EK and Crowder at the LE, with engleberger on certian rushing downs, I like our rotation a lot.
        First off with our RB rotation...Young and Pittman, Hall and Torian is an unproven backfield. Is there a worse back field right now in the league? If so who?

About Moss....Dont get me wrong I think that we drafted him right where he was slotted....I just think the guy was and is a bust. He sucked in collage, was always hurt. Loe and behold what happens in game six? OUt for the year....Sorry fellas this guy will never make a contribution for a prolonged time. Crowder is the guy with the future.... Now part of this is based on the fact that I hate UF, but the guy did nothing in collage, and nothing last year
        Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

First off with our RB rotation...Young and Pittman, Hall and Torian is an unproven backfield. Is there a worse back field right now in the league? If so who?

About Moss....Dont get me wrong I think that we drafted him right where he was slotted....I just think the guy was and is a bust. He sucked in collage, was always hurt. Loe and behold what happens in game six? OUt for the year....Sorry fellas this guy will never make a contribution for a prolonged time. Crowder is the guy with the future.... Now part of this is based on the fact that I hate UF, but the guy did nothing in collage, and nothing last year
          If you mean unproven as in hasn't been able to withstand a full season without injury, I'll agree. Its the most punishing position and people get hurt, it happens. Selvin did great when he played, has been impressive in OTA and has gained muscle mass to hopefully increase his longevity and times he can touch the ball.

Player Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD
          Selvin Young 140 729 5.2 50 1
          Andre Hall 44 216 4.9 62 2

Selvin YPA at 5.2 is impressive regardless how you look at it and Hall showed some promise in the two games he was asked to handle the load. He could be a great change of pace back. Pittman has been used a 3rd down back because of protection picking up blitzes and hands out of the backfield while in Tampa. He's not expected to see the starting position.

Ryan Torain
          Stat Overview Rushing Receiving Fumbles
          YEAR ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
          2006 223 1229 5.5 64 7 18 205 11.4 39 3 0 0
          2007 110 553 5.0 41 5 7 100 14.3 48 2 0 0

Torain had a great Junior year, but he's been out of football for a while and he will definitely have to to turn some heads to see some action. It's not a stretch to think we won't as Young and Hall have durability issues and he will get his chances, but we won't know how he's adjusted to the scheme, quickness of the game etc. until pre-season.

Worse backfield - the Bears by a landslide. They've gotten rid of Thomas Jones and cut Cedric Benson and are now relying on a rookie 2nd pick Matt Forte. That's unproven.

Player Name # Pos HT WT College Exp Age
          Forte, Matt * 22 RB 6-2 216 Tulane R 22
          Lawrence, Matt * 46 RB 6-1 204 UMass R 23
          Peterson, Adrian 29 RB 5-10 212 Georgia Southern 7 29
          Pope, P.J. 47 RB 5-9 205 Bowling Green 3 24
          Wolfe, Garrett 25 RB 5-7 186 Northern Illinois 2 23

Moss had a Staph Infection in college which hurt his development and which also impaired his ability to put on weight. He has amazing quickness and athletic ability - comparable to Kearse coming out. He's had a full off season conditioning program and is 100% healthy from all of his ailments. We should see what he's capable of doing this year. To bag on a guy for having one year when he got hurt and calling a bust is ridiculous.

If we can stay healthy we'll be a much improved team and close the gap on San Diego.
          Last edited by Sacklunch; 07-07-2008, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raiders_OWN_U
            i dont see wats so hard to figure out about this team. theyre a bad team simple as that.

sorry to say
            I guess there are idiots.. and idiots who can't read.

Let me show you back to the Smack zone....

Comment

Originally posted by Sacklunch View Post
              If you mean unproven as in hasn't been able to withstand a full season without injury, I'll agree. Its the most punishing position and people get hurt, it happens. Selvin did great when he played, has been impressive in OTA and has gained muscle mass to hopefully increase his longevity and times he can touch the ball.

Player Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD
              Selvin Young 140 729 5.2 50 1
              Andre Hall 44 216 4.9 62 2

Selvin YPA at 5.2 is impressive regardless how you look at it and Hall showed some promise in the two games he was asked to handle the load. He could be a great change of pace back. Pittman has been used a 3rd down back because of protection picking up blitzes and hands out of the backfield while in Tampa. He's not expected to see the starting position.

Ryan Torain
              Stat Overview Rushing Receiving Fumbles
              YEAR ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
              2006 223 1229 5.5 64 7 18 205 11.4 39 3 0 0
              2007 110 553 5.0 41 5 7 100 14.3 48 2 0 0

Torain had a great Junior year, but he's been out of football for a while and he will definitely have to to turn some heads to see some action. It's not a stretch to think we won't as Young and Hall have durability issues and he will get his chances, but we won't know how he's adjusted to the scheme, quickness of the game etc. until pre-season.

Worse backfield - the Bears by a landslide. They've gotten rid of Thomas Jones and cut Cedric Benson and are now relying on a rookie 2nd pick Matt Forte. That's unproven.

Player Name # Pos HT WT College Exp Age
              Forte, Matt * 22 RB 6-2 216 Tulane R 22
              Lawrence, Matt * 46 RB 6-1 204 UMass R 23
              Peterson, Adrian 29 RB 5-10 212 Georgia Southern 7 29
              Pope, P.J. 47 RB 5-9 205 Bowling Green 3 24
              Wolfe, Garrett 25 RB 5-7 186 Northern Illinois 2 23

Moss had a Staph Infection in college which hurt his development and which also impaired his ability to put on weight. He has amazing quickness and athletic ability - comparable to Kearse coming out. He's had a full off season conditioning program and is 100% healthy from all of his ailments. We should see what he's capable of doing this year. To bag on a guy for having one year when he got hurt and calling a bust is ridiculous.

If we can stay healthy we'll be a much improved team and close the gap on San Diego.
              You are definatly right about the Bears...I cant argue that point if I wanted to....But you see my point...we are not in good shape in the backfield....Young looks to me like Tatum Bell without the speed and the fumbling problems. He was good as a change of pace....I think that he is going to suck as a starter. I really wish that they would have addressed it differently.... Right now I really hope that Shanny's isnt blowing smooke about Torian, and the kid has a chance in 08. I think he is the only one with any kind of upside. I think we know what we got with all our other backs....I am not saying that Torian isa going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, i just think we have seen what Young, Hall, and Pittman have to offer and none of the three impress me as an everydown back..

I agree it is early to call Moss a bust, and I hope to god that this time next year I am eating crow. But I just dont think so. Moss isn't Kearse, he doesn't have the speed (well maybe the speed he has now that he is on one leg, but not 2000 speed), his quickness, or his instints. Some one on here has to follow Florida or SEC football and saw him in collage. The guy played well in the BCS Championship, had a solid (not great) workout and got a first round check. But like I have always said...Crowder is our best DE from that class. If Moss is lucky he is a situational rusher....Crowder can play all downs....As for him putting on weight.....Run a forty today, put on 25 LBS, and run another 40....you are going to be slower. The myth of retaining your speed with weight gain is false..... Besides all that speed did what for him last year?
              Thanx Blondie79 for the sweet Sig....Love it and I will rock it with pridesigpic

Comment

You are definatly right about the Bears...I cant argue that point if I wanted to....But you see my point...we are not in good shape in the backfield....Young looks to me like Tatum Bell without the speed and the fumbling problems. He was good as a change of pace....I think that he is going to suck as a starter. I really wish that they would have addressed it differently.... Right now I really hope that Shanny's isnt blowing smooke about Torian, and the kid has a chance in 08. I think he is the only one with any kind of upside. I think we know what we got with all our other backs....I am not saying that Torian isa going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, i just think we have seen what Young, Hall, and Pittman have to offer and none of the three impress me as an everydown back..

I agree it is early to call Moss a bust, and I hope to god that this time next year I am eating crow. But I just dont think so. Moss isn't Kearse, he doesn't have the speed (well maybe the speed he has now that he is on one leg, but not 2000 speed), his quickness, or his instints. Some one on here has to follow Florida or SEC football and saw him in collage. The guy played well in the BCS Championship, had a solid (not great) workout and got a first round check. But like I have always said...Crowder is our best DE from that class. If Moss is lucky he is a situational rusher....Crowder can play all downs....As for him putting on weight.....Run a forty today, put on 25 LBS, and run another 40....you are going to be slower. The myth of retaining your speed with weight gain is false..... Besides all that speed did what for him last year?
                i think you are to biased against moss... i have watched him alot in college and he is an amazing athlete.. no one can deny that. He already weighs 275... i doubt anyone wants him to gain 25 pounds... more like 10-15... and i have experience in gaining wieght in sports i gained 40 pounds in 2-3 years and i was more athletic then ever. But it is possible to gain to much and lose your athletic ability... you have to find the best mix of both. The only thing moss lacks right now is the ability to stay healthy and i agree it is something fans should be worried about.

To say he is a bust now is totally wrong. D lineman take 2-3 years to develop usually and moss may take longer because his development was hampered by the staph infection that made it impossible for him to walk at one point. Dont underestimate how bad his staph in fection was, they are one of the easiest ways to end a football career.
                sigpic
                "I'm scared if I stop all at once, the cumulative hangover will literally kill me."

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                  I am not the sort of person who talks up my team for the sake of it but I seem to have a REALLY strong feeling that we can have a great year and take the west.

do you think this year is harder to figure out then most years?

we really could go either way.

some of the concerns I have is -

~ finding a good #2 who is consistent.

~ getting solid play from the safetys.

~ finding a good K/P.

~ can selvin and our RB's be dangerous.

There's not too much else that worries me.
                  Finding a good #2 what???

I don't think we have to worry about anything on the offense, they should be better then last year. DEFENCE though, can they stop the run, have they learned to tackle, can they get a pass rush, will they get blown out in 4 games again??? Those are the biggest concerns going into this season.

Comment

Bears, Cardinals, Dolphins, Lions, Falcons, Saints, Texans are all easily have a worse backfield. We have some unproven guys sure, but, with this nearly same group we cranked out over 1900 yards. Do I think they can be better this year? Certainly.

Too soon to call him a bust. He had a staph infection from high school that went untreated. Then a freak broken shin. Hes added weight, and has looked good so far. Remeber, Mario Williams looked like a bust his first year. The NFL is a tough jump.

He also was an All American in 2006.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by draco193 View Post
                      Bears, Cardinals, Dolphins, Lions, Falcons, Saints, Texans are all easily have a worse backfield. We have some unproven guys sure, but, with this nearly same group we cranked out over 1900 yards. Do I think they can be better this year? Certainly.

Too soon to call him a bust. He had a staph infection from high school that went untreated. Then a freak broken shin. Hes added weight, and has looked good so far. Remeber, Mario Williams looked like a bust his first year. The NFL is a tough jump.

He also was an All American in 2006.
                      I agree 100%. I think our RBs will do well simply because of how diverse they are. Young has speed, agility, and hopefully has added some power, Torain doesn't have amazing speed but he has a lot of power, Pittman has power and some speed, and Hall has speed and agility so defenses will have a hard time gameplanning for all of them. Moss isn't a bust yet anyway, and I think he has shown promise.

PS Great sig Sacklunch
                      sigpic
                      Made by Houshmazode

Comment

Ok back to Moss......Where is this promise? What game can I turn on and see him dominate for three straight plays?? Or show me where he uses his counter move? The tape doesnt exist. In the NFL you cant just run around the corner ever time, Even Kearse had a second move. I dont expect him to be a world beater in year one like Dummerville, but show me something that shows what he has. Cause all he has shown the NFL is that he knows how to get hurt. As for the myth about it taking 2-3 years for a Dline man to develope....I will agree to an extent. He is a pass rusher and nothing else. He doesn't have to learn all the in's and out's at this point. The position he plays is a lot like RB. The transition is pretty quick. Maintain your responsibilities, and get to the QB...simple as that
                        As for everyone saying he has looked good...well how do you know? Have you seen him play? Also as a former athlete I can tell you that just cause you dominate with shorts on, doesn't mean you can play with the pads on

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie Man View Post

PS Great sig Sacklunch
                          Thank you kind, sir! I like yours as well.

Comment

I believe that once the all the newcomers get aquainted with the vets, all will be good. Team chemistry is not on my list of worries right now. The only worry i have is.... CAN THEY FINALLY CLOSE OUT SOME GAMES. I dont know how many times last season i got frustrated because of the losses that should have been wins.. We should have at least had a 10-6 record. By the way.. Cutler is gonna show everyone what hes made of this year! And even though we might not have the most RECOGNIZED running backs in the league, doesnt mean they wont be productive. I dont recall ever having to worry about running the ball..

Comment

Post #1000

Ok back to Moss......Where is this promise? What game can I turn on and see him dominate for three straight plays?? Or show me where he uses his counter move? The tape doesnt exist. In the NFL you cant just run around the corner ever time, Even Kearse had a second move. I dont expect him to be a world beater in year one like Dummerville, but show me something that shows what he has. Cause all he has shown the NFL is that he knows how to get hurt.
                              I dont have the tape. All I have are youtube highlights, which Im guessing that youve already seen. He was a first year player, with exceptional athleticism and a freak physique. Im fairly certain he has more than one move, perhaps its just not as good as his speed rushing technique. Will it get better? I think it will. Remember, he was a rookie, that wasnt starting. His numbers projected for an entire season were close to Anthony Spencer's, a guy taken a few picks later.

Same goes for every other rookie that gets hurt. But, that doesnt mean that they havent shown flashes. He had an untreated staph infection during his first few years in college. HE then came back and became an All American.

As for the myth about it taking 2-3 years for a Dline man to develope....I will agree to an extent. He is a pass rusher and nothing else. He doesn't have to learn all the in's and out's at this point. The position he plays is a lot like RB. The transition is pretty quick. Maintain your responsibilities, and get to the QB...simple as that
                              If it is that simple, why do most Dlineman take a few years to emerge? Its because they have to relaern everything about how to play against guys that have been in the league for years, and know all the tricks.

As for everyone saying he has looked good...well how do you know? Have you seen him play? Also as a former athlete I can tell you that just cause you dominate with shorts on, doesn't mean you can play with the pads on
                              Most of us here are former athletes of some nature, at least into high school. However, a guy doing well in camp gives optimism to people that he has gotten down the smaller things, like footwork and body placement.

I saw him play some in college, Florida games were on reguarly. I saw him play when he played for the Broncos. He looked like a first year lineman, that showed some flashes. I hate when people pigeon hole guys as only a pass rusher, or only a run stopper. If Elvis had better support from his DTs and LBs last year, would everyone be saying he was only a PRS? Maybe, but, maybe not. Ill see this year, when he has one scheme, some good and above average players next to him on the line, and some LBs that are an upgrade over last years bunch. Same goes for Jarvis. Let the guy play before you call him a bust.

I just dont understand how someone could be so negative about everything on this team. The future to me is bright. We have made a transition from an old team, to a young team. Sure, there will be tough times. But, to act like its a disaster before it plays out is just wanting to only see the bad.

Then of course, if you werent such a pessimist japfaff, I wouldnt have nearly so many posts in the past couple weeks.
                              sigpic

Comment

Even when we had Pryce Berry and Hayward, we didnt have an elite pass rush for some reason. To have a great pass rush, you have to have pass rushing defensive tackles as well as ends, and we havent had that in a while. This year i think we are finally having quick pass rushing tackles.

This team is hard to figure out. But with the aforementioned d-line, another fast LB core, a pair of CB's with great hands, an experienced secondary and a revitalized blitzing scheme....I think the defense will be much much improved. If it isnt, its because this is their 1st year playing together as a unit.

On offense, we will be solid. Marshall will again show the moves to make a short catch into a highlight. And Cutler should blossom as an true upper echleon starter. Maybe not up there with Brady and Manning, but up there with Roethlisburger and Palmer and such. Selvin hopefully is impressive, but I'll hold too much excitement until I see him produce. i know he can break the occasional long one, but I want to see him handle contact and ALWAYS fall forward, its important. I want to see Torrain as well he has more the right body type imo.

Special Teams will be a weak point imo. Royal will be an upgrade, but I cant shake the feeling that our kicker/punter will have to go through a maturation process this year. I know they have strong legs which is a plus, but I dont know if they can produce in the clutch. Our season will come down to them.

Thats my analysis
                                dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Working...
                                X